BUBBLE QBs as of Aug 2012

Astrobot

Not saying we need a QB for PS or whatever, but here's my research. This includes all teams with 4 QB’s on roster. They're listed in each division from most likely to least likely a Gailey pick IMHO. -Astro

NFC North

RJ Archer - Detroit Lions (Stafford, Shaun Hill, Kellen Moore) – May keep 3 and release Archer, Georgia Force QB.

McLeod Bethel-Thompson - Minnesota Vikings (Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder, Sage Rosenfels) –arena QB also. His coach? Turk Schoenert.

BJ Coleman - Green Bay Packers (Aaron Rodgers, Nick Hill and Graham Harrell) – 2012 seventh-rounder Pack will try to get to the PS. Coleman said he’s “the best draft pick they ever made.”

Matt Blanchard -Chicago Bears (Jay Cutler, Jason Campbell, Josh McCown) – Blanchard’s a rookie, McCown has connections to Jeremy Bates. Blanchard led Wisconsin-Whitewater to consecutive national championships and was a tryout player for the Bears.

NFC South

Sean Canfield
- New Orleans Saints (Drew Brees , McCown, Chase Daniel) – Oregon State QB 2010 seventh rounder, waived during final roster cuts last year

Dominique Davis - Atlanta Falcons (Matt Ryan, Chris Redman, John Parker Wilson) – pass-run QB set all ECU records

Nobody - Tampa Bay Buccaneers ( Josh Freeman, Dan Orlovsky, and Jay Ratliff) - under-the-radar signing this spring could actually make Ratliff the 3rd wheel.

Nobody - Carolina Panthers (Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen) – Clausen, the 2010 RD2 pick, Inactive for all 16 games for Carolina in 2011, 13 TD, 10 INT career.

NFC East

Mike Kafka - Philadelphia Eagles ( Nick Foles, Michael Vick, Trent Edwards) – Kafka rushed for 891 yards and 11 touchdowns on 268 carries in his career, 64% completions.

Jonathan Crompton - Washington Redskins ( RG3, Rex Grossman, Kirk Cousins) -
released on September 7, 2010 by the Chargers, went to Pats, Bucs, and Skins. 55% percentage.

Stephen McGee - Dallas Cowboys ( Tony Romo, Kyle Orton, Rudy Carpenter )

Nobody - New York Giants ( Eli Manning, David Carr, Ryan Perriloux)

NFC West

Scott Tolzien
- San Francisco 49ers ( Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson) -claimed off waivers on Sept. 4
th
2011. Wisconsin record as 32 TD 18 INT. Solid foursome here. If they cut Josh Johnson he’s a possibility also, as he has wheels.

Tom Brandstater - St. Louis Rams (Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis) – Davis is a rookie from S. Mississippi. Davis’s looking good in training camp. Could be Brandstater. The Rams showed no faith in Brandstater last season, signing Kellen Clemens off the street to make emergency late-season starts instead.

Richard Bartel
- Arizona Cardinals ( Kevin Kolb and John Skelton, Ryan Lindley) – Bartel’s career numbers are 0 TD and 1 INT.

Josh Portis
- Seattle Seahawks (
Matt Flynn, Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson
) – Gailey wouldn’t like the number of community colleges Portis went to. And yes, he's a relative.
"
will receive all the first team snaps for the rest of the week and then will start Saturday's preseason game against the
, with
slated to play the second half. Carroll
the team knows what Tarvaris Jackson brings - he has 30+ starts in his career - and the team needs to get a better idea what they have in their free agent signee and 3rd round draft pick."

AFC North

Thaddeus Lewis - Cleveland Browns (Weedon, McCoy and Seneca Wallace) – Duke QB throws a nice deep fade. UDFA, Waived by Rams, picked up last September. 67 career TDs in college.

Chester Stewart - Baltimore Ravens (Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor, Curtis Painter) - 13 TDs and 17 INTs during his career at Temple

Charlie Batch - Pittsburgh Steelers ( Ben Roethlisberger, Leftwich and
Jerrod Johnson
) – You heard it here first – Johnson will unseat Batch. His play style is more similar to Big Ben’s, and he’s been impressing at camp.

Tyler Hansen - Cincinnati Bengals (Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski, Zac Robinson) – Training Camp injuries places him here. 6’0” with 4.8 speed at Colorado.

AFC South

T.J. Yates - Houston Texans ( Matt Schaub, Beck, Keenum) – RD5 overall pick in 2011, holds UNC school records for career passing yards, single season passing yards, and single season total offense. Rookie of the Week in Week 14 last year.

Jordan Palmer - Jacksonville Jaguars (Blaine Gabbert, Enderle, Henne) – commentator.

Rusty Smith - Tennessee Titans (Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Locker, Nick Stephens) – Smith’s NFL TD/INT ratio is 0/4.

Nobody - Indianapolis Colts ( Luck, Stanton, Harnish)

AFC East

Greg McElroy - New York Jets ( Mark Sanchez, Tebow, Matt Simms) – Alabama QB McElroy has been opening his yap about the corrupt mindset of their locker room. 7
th
RD pick, broke thumb in last preseason game last year, and DNP in 2011. Game manager.

Pat Devlin - Miami Dolphins ( Tannehill, Matt Moore, Garrard) – decent Delaware QB

Nobody - New England Patriots ( Tom Brady and Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett)

AFC West

Kyle Newhall-Caballero - Oakland Raiders ( Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Terrelle Pryor) – Played at Brown, second-team All-Ivy League, 61.2% pass completions.

Ricky Stanzi - Kansas City Chiefs ( Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, Alex Tanney) - 3rd in the nation in college passing efficiency on 2010

Jarrett Lee - San Diego Chargers ( Philip Rivers, Whitehurst, Kevin O’Connell) – Les Miles put Jefferson back in at LSU when he returned from suspension because he likes the dual threat. Gailey would too. Lee is more the game manager.

Whitehurst has been injured so we’ll see Lee in preseason.

Adam Weber, -Denver Broncos (Manning, Brock Osweiler, Hanie) – Weber has his fans on the Broncos sidelines, but it'll be Osweiler as the #2 there.
Edited by Astrobot

Bringing is a new #2 QB will be a huge gamble for Chan, since it seems to take a while to learn his offense. I would be shocked if they did bring in a new QB at this point.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

McLeod Bethel-Thompson - Minnesota Vikings (Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder, Sage Rosenfels) –arena QB also.

Ponder, Webb, Rosenfels, Bethel-Thompson

Edited by Carey Bender

Good research! While PTR is right that the Bills might be reluctant to bring in another QB this late, both Thigpen and VY have been bad thus far so signing a 'bubble' QB from another squad is not out of the question. It could be that Fitz gets hurt this season and one of these guys comes in for him. But let's hope not.

Seachickens have Matt Flynn, Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson, and CHarlie Whitehurst. One or two might be gone or attempted to be traded.

There is less than a 0 percent chance the Broncos cut Osweiler, not sure why he is listed there, and no chance the Deadskins cut Cousins.

Richard Bartel would be insteresting to me.

Always hoped Jerrod Johnson would find his way here.Maybe we can steal him of the Steelers practice squad if they stay loyal to Batch.

I agree. I always liked Johnson. He had a bad senior year but prior to that, he put up better #s than Tannehill did at Texas A & M. He definitely seems like a QB than Chan could work with.

Also, Clausen has 3 tds (none to a receiver) to 10 ints in his career. I won't be surprised if he's out of the league soon. Also, I really like Stanzi but there's talk he could end up as the future starter for the Chiefs.

Seachickens have Matt Flynn, Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson, and CHarlie Whitehurst. One or two might be gone or attempted to be traded.

There is less than a 0 percent chance the Broncos cut Osweiler, not sure why he is listed there, and no chance the Deadskins cut Cousins.

Whitehurst is on San Diego

Whitehurst is back with the Chargers. What an awful trade that was for the Seahawks. That team just grasps at straws.

I would love for the Bills to get Seattle's Josh Portis if he were to become available. I think that playing at multiple schools is actually an asset for him. I love his intangibles and he has great wheels. If he could pick up the mental aspect of Gailey's offense then I think that he would be a great fit. The little bit that I saw him play he seemed to posess that "thang" that separates the great ones from the good ones at the QB position. JMO.

Also, Clausen has 3 tds (none to a receiver) to 10 ints in his career. I won't be surprised if he's out of the league soon. Also, I really like Stanzi but there's talk he could end up as the future starter for the Chiefs.

Actually I was always intrigued by Clausen's potential. I have no good reason for that feeling. I wonder if the Bills make a move if he were to find himself on the street.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I used to think high intelligence was a criteria for any potential Bills QB under Gailey - but, bringing in Young sort of disproved that. I guess they look at it more like they'll make the offense fit the talent, so talent is more important. Yeah, good list. If Young plays well in the preseason I think we stick with him; otherwise, I think they look really hard for a talent that hits a practice squad, and would be willing to lose a roster spot to keep a QB with potential while he's learning the system.

I always liked Sean Canfield out of Oregon State. He was really good when he was there. I was hoping we'd draft him last year.

I also think Clausen could be good if he didn't play on a team with a swiss cheese offensive line and no defense. I saw him play against the Seahawks when he was a rookie. he looked really good in the first half. Then the Seahawks turned up the heat in the 2nd half and ate his lunch. I don't know how you can write a guy off as sucking when he's playing on the worst team in the league. Has a second round draft choice QB ever gone to the worst team in the league and started and looked good right out of the chute?

Edited by reddogblitz

I always liked Sean Canfield out of Oregon State. He was really good when he was there. I was hoping we'd draft him last year.

I also think Clausen could be good if he didn't play on a team with a swiss cheese offensive line and no defense. I saw him play against the Seahawks when he was a rookie. he looked really good in the first half. Then the Seahawks turned up the heat in the 2nd half and ate his lunch. I don't know how you can write a guy off as sucking when he's playing on the worst team in the league. Has a second round draft choice QB ever gone to the worst team in the league and started and looked good right out of the chute?

Tied for 3rd worst team, Andy Dalton, who should really have been the Bills QB right now.

I used to think high intelligence was a criteria for any potential Bills QB under Gailey - but, bringing in Young sort of disproved that. ...

People keep bringing up Vince's intelligence but part of me wonders if VY doesn't have some kind of learning disability. Personally, I hate it when people mistake symptoms of a learning disability for stupidity. Not sayin' VY is a genius and not sayin' he should be on this team. Just sayin' that you shouldn't judge him without knowing more. (And supposedly he scored a 16 on the Wonderlic, not a 6 as widely reported.)

Agree on Osweiler.

Always hoped Jerrod Johnson would find his way here.Maybe we can steal him of the Steelers practice squad if they stay loyal to Batch.

I like him too. I'll start highlighting players who might be cut that we like.

Bringing is a new #2 QB will be a huge gamble for Chan, since it seems to take a while to learn his offense. I would be shocked if they did bring in a new QB at this point.

PTR

I think if we did it would be for a PS player.

Ponder, Webb, Rosenfels, Bethel-Thompson

Thanks, Carey--corrected that. Wonder what happened to Josh Portis.