Anyone familiar with Portland, OR?

Going up there for a three-day conference (M-W), and there is an option to stay at the hotel the weekend before the conference at $59 per night. The wife and I were thinking of having her fly up with me to stay for the weekend and have her fly back Monday morning.

Looking for ideas for sightseeing, restaurants, nightlife, etc.

Going up there for a three-day conference (M-W), and there is an option to stay at the hotel the weekend before the conference at $59 per night. The wife and I were thinking of having her fly up with me to stay for the weekend and have her fly back Monday morning.

Send a PM to Lana

All of the Pacific NW is sightseeing. So many hippies to make fun of.

Powell's Books in downtown Portland.

I know that thought of going to a bookstore while on vacation sounds silly, but my mom and sister say it is an amazing place. You name the book and they pretty much have it. They even have first editions.

Check it out.

When I went into retirement from TBD I changed my name, so he probably won't find me. :lol:

I'll give you five suggestions: Wine, Dine, Gorge, Coast and Hood.

Mt. Hood and the coast are within 1 1/2-2 hours drive from Portland. They both make good day trips. Just leave before 10am to avoid the traffic. Also, the coast and Mt. Hood tend to be 10-20 degrees cooler than inland. So dress in layers. My suggestion for a beach town to go to...Seaside or Cannon Beach. There's also Astoria up north a little. The Goonies house is there. ;)

The Columbia Gorge is about 1/2 hour or more from Portland, depending on where you end up. Hood River is kind of a neat city with good food and wind surfing. I like to sit and watch the wind surfers. :) Hiking to the top of Multnomah Falls is kind of a challege but well worth it. There's also The Vista House with great views of the Gorge.

Out west about 30 minutes or so is wine country. Great views and great wine! Here is a map of the wineries.

Portland is known for it's great food and breweries, wineries. The Bite of Oregon is going on this weekend. The local wineries, restaurants, breweries will all be there. There are also a ton of food carts around that have decent food as well. "Big Ass Sandwiches" sells out every day and always has a line a mile long. :lol:

Depending on which Hotel you are staying at in Portland, if it's close to Pioneer Courthouse Square, you can check out local bands playing during the lunch hour.

Don't let the clouds discourage you. They will burn off by the afternoon. But it sounds like it will be in the 80s this weekend and next week...perfect. :thumbsup:

http://www.burgerville.com/

Burgerville is a local chain that makes one of the best fast-food burgers anywhere. They also make awesome milkshakes, often featuring a local ingredient. Chocolate shakes with Oregon-grown hazelnuts or Oregon blackberries.

PTR

Thank you, I was going to mention them in my post above but forgot. I'm sort of biased but they are the best fast food restaurant around here! :thumbsup: Right now they have the Walla Walla sweet onion burger that's amazing.

Edited by NoorK

I believe VooDoo donuts is in Portland. I've seen VooDoo on the Food Network. Supposed to be a pretty good donut shop. That, is all I know about that.

I hit Voodoo twice whenI was there in June.....Maple Bacon donit....that is all. Place is amazing.

GBID - Here are my recommendations for you (my wife and I moved to PDX about 12 years ago from the Cuse)

The vibe in Portland tends to be a little weird, local, but very cool. Here are some things that my wife and I totally love about Portland

Voo Doo donuts is cool, but the donuts are nothing special

Bunk Sandwiches is a great spot to get an awesome lunch

Pine State Biscuits is an awesome breakfast spot (usually got a good line if you show up after 9am)/The Screen Door is another great Breakfast joint

I would definitely take a drive up to Mt. Hood - it is beautiful, go up to Government Camp, check out Timberline Lodge www.timberlinelodge.com and go for a little day hike/stroll/whatever. Also, the recommendation to do a Multnomah Falls run is a good idea (it's only about 35 minutes east of PDX)

Oregon is known for it's Pinots and if you guys are wine fans I would totally go on a wine tasting tour in Newberg/Mcminnville (again only about a half hour out of pdx). One that is a little pricey but has great wine is Cana's Feast Vineyard www.canasfeastwinery.com

Portland also has some awesome local breweries that are worth checking out - they have pub/brewery tours where a driver will take you all around town for the 4-5 hours.

If you want to go high end on a dinner out I would recommend El Gaucho steakhouse (the best in town) or Portland City Grill (the best view in town at 30 stories up).

The Oregon coast is cool if you have time (about 2 hour drive), I would absolutely recommend going to Cannon Beach - it has some good shopping, good local seafood, a great walking beach. It is usually pretty chilly and windy at the coast, bring a jacket.

NW 23rd is a great street for shopping, walking, dining out - cool place in the city to spend a few hours.

And if you guys are into live music - absolutely check a couple of websites (we like the Roseland theater, Alladin theater, Crystal Ballrooom).

I could probably go all day, if you are looking for some more ideas - let me know!

Thank you, I was going to mention them in my post above but forgot. I'm sort of biased but they are the best fast food restaurant around here! :thumbsup: Right now they have the Walla Walla sweat onion burger that's amazing.

I think you mean SWEET onion. Not sure if I would eat a burger topped with SWEAT onions.

PTR