Buffalo Bills 2012 N.F.L. Season Preview

I just find it so difficult to read Bills reports from writers who aren't local. Plenty of fans on this forum know so much more about the team than national beat writers.

Case in point: this particular author says Moats will push Barnett, not Morrison, and makes numerous other mistakes.

They Predict the Bills will be 2nd in the AFC East:

http://fifthdown.blo...hdown&seid=auto

Well, I think I'll be looking for my accurate and thoughtful football analysis elsewhere.

There's truth in some of what he says, but he gets so much basic stuff wrong that it's hard to find it (Spiller playing WR, Spencer Johnson and Carrington in rotation with Kelsay and Anderson?, Moats as a DE option, Gilmore not comfortable with press technique???, Scott as a safety). I'm glad to know that Barnett is servicable on the strong side, given that as far as I know he's never played there. I'm surprised to know Moats is challenging him.

I get it that these guys write about all the teams, but durn it, that's their job - one might think they could take a minute perusing the depth chart on the team's website and maybe a couple of articles therein for accurate information, before commencing to write.

Edited by Hopeful

Great to see the Times predicting us as No. 2, but I thought the reporter was harsh on Fitz. The only downside I see of him is his downfield inaccuracy, which could be improved with David Lee coaching him. As for the "gunslinger" thing, Fitz had a low INT rate before the slide, then was constantly playing from behind. I think INTs will be low.

We'll see this season whether the reporter was right. Obviously, I hope he isn't.

While it's a "fun" read, it's ripe with inaccuracies about players capabilities and even the positions that players are in. Once you get about half way through it, you kind of laugh off the rest. We're going to know a lot about this team the very first game of the season on the road against the Jets. I don't think we'll see Spiller playing WR, other than to catch bubble screens. I also don't think we'll see Barnett moved to strong side linebacker either. Regardless, I think we're going to be in for some fun!

While it's a "fun" read, it's ripe with inaccuracies about players capabilities and even the positions that players are in. Once you get about half way through it, you kind of laugh off the rest. We're going to know a lot about this team the very first game of the season on the road against the Jets. I don't think we'll see Spiller playing WR, other than to catch bubble screens. I also don't think we'll see Barnett moved to strong side linebacker either. Regardless, I think we're going to be in for some fun!

Seems to be typical for media analysis from afar.

I seem to be in the minority, but thought most of the analysis was spot-on and criticism of his "inaccuracies" are mostly-nitpicks (that most of on this board have said the same exact things.

- Fitz (who I like) is a decent QB, but not a franchise player with elite skills. His lack of downfield accuracy IS a problem that opponents have exploited.

- Fitz's limitations ARE compounded by a mediocre receiving corps. I actually like most of the WRs, but not one is a great talent at their position.

- The OL is good, but the best players have been hurt, we have a rookie and a few others who are OK. A lot could go wrong.

- Spiller did split out wide. Not sure why the writer is beat on for that observation.

- Gilmore IS more comfortable playing off, and the it would make more sense to have Byrd favor his side. Nothing wrong with that.

- Mario is a superstar, but he HAS a history of injuries (keeping fingers crossed)

- I have faith in Anderson, but he did disappear between his rookie year and last season. We should watch that.

- The linebacker corps is just OK, there are many threads on this board complaining about it. BTW, Scott is a strong safety moving to LB on the pass.

- He does praise the secondary, and his evaluation of each player seems spot-on.

If the Bills struggle, I think this article would have been a harbinger of what held them back. However, it is encouraging that he is upbeat about the Bills and predicts a 2nd Place finish.

Inaccuracies aside.... the article has a pessimistic tone. Compliments Stevie then says he is just OK with many limitations. Compliments the o line but says they have no talent. A strange article

They Predict the Bills will be 2nd in the AFC East:

http://fifthdown.blo...hdown&seid=auto

Looks like I am the only one so far who thinks this is not a badly written piece. While there are some errors, the breakdown by unit is fair. There are a lot of players who need to prove themselves and will determine the success of their respective units. Players whose performance is very important are stated in the article and I mostly agree - Glenn, WRs, Fitz

The few nitpicking mistakes aside, this article was a step above most national media analysis. This guy is picking the Bills to finish 2nd, ahead of the New York Times home team the Jets. Let us face it, this is as optimistic of an article for the Bills we are going to see outside of the Bills market.

I can't be angry with what this guy says because second in the AFC East would be awesome. But, some of the things he said such as Moats pushing Barnett I didn't agree with. Because of that I have a hard time putting weight into him saying we will be second in the AFC East.