thurman thomas said he is certain...

He is certain that ralph has a plan to keep the bills in buffalo and what was good news but also sad to hear, was that Ralph paid for Mario, Anderson, SJ, Freddy, and Fitz, (along with a technology center?) because, as he told thurman, "he wants one more go at it".

Now we all know if the Bills make a run it would probably be the last chance for Wilson to see his bills make it to the dance. It was just sad to hear this thought coming from wilson, even though its quite obvious.

I thought after all these years of us calling him cheap, he really did spend alot of money, and on all the right people. I also thought, why should he have spent money earlier when it wouldnt even have mattered? He probably saw nothing positive in Greggo's or Donahue's or especially Skeletor's tenure here. With all the bad drafts and bad QB'ing, what good would it have done to buy an expensive ffree agent back then?

Maybe now he senses we are on the verge of gretness again. I hope.

I have mixed feelings lolo.

It's a poignant revelation but also, it begs the question "why did he wait so long?"

The one plausible explanation is what someone else brought up in another thread (wish I could remember who because I liked the theory) which paraphrased Ralph as thinking,

"I'd spend the money if I trusted you guys to spend my money."

If that's the case it's also a bit tragic in that he finally made a good hire with Nix but did so too late in the 4th quarter of his own life.

I think Ralph knows more about football than we give him credit for. He did spend money but the people he hired proved to be the wrong choices for whatever reason. I think he clamped down the purse strings when he knew the money would be wasted. Finally Ralph hit a winning combo with Nix and Gailey and, voila, the money flows.

PTR

Come on, guys...are we reading a little too much into a simple comment from Thurman that makes sense primarily because of Ralph's age? Seriously, what 90+ year old wouldn't say he he wants "one more go at it?"

this same old argument again

ralph has to be careful when spending because they have one of the lowest incomes in the league from ticket sales and luxury boxes. thats a big disadvantage

but when he sees an opportunity to go for it he has. spikes, paup, donawhore, shanahan (glad we didnt get him), mario, even dockery (didnt pan out but he tried)

ralph has made many mistakes and hasnt been the most astute owner ever, but i just dont buy the 'hes cheap' meme. he is necessarily frugal but not cheap

Come on, guys...are we reading a little too much into a simple comment from Thurman that makes sense primarily because of Ralph's age? Seriously, what 90+ year old wouldn't say he he wants "one more go at it?"

But this time it was accompanied by a dramatic, possibly unprecedented (for him) spending spree… so there's that.

ralph has made many mistakes and hasnt been the most astute owner ever, but i just dont buy the 'hes cheap' meme. he is necessarily frugal but not cheap

Exactly. The rich don't usually get that way by throwing away money.

Myself, I think it's exactly what Buddy Nix said it was when he first started this thing. He knew it was going to take a little while. He knew there wasn't a lot of talent on the roster and he knew he wanted to build the team two-three ways: 1] Through the draft, 2] With high quality self-starters on and off the field, and 3] with a strategy that will last and not be a flash in the pan. The first two years he just assembled players that fit his mold and he started to get rid of most of the players that didnt fit his mold.

Then this, year, because he knew the base roster was a lot better than it was two years ago, and he knew that we were close to really competing, he went all in and went after a couple players that could put the team over the top. That's what he said he was going to do, and that is exactly what he did. He was extremely lucky this year however that the position the team needed the most, a dominant pass rushing DE, was the top free agent, and doubly lucky that the person, Mario Williams, was not a bright lights big city guy, but someone who genuinely wanted a small town atmosphere.

I hate the overused term but it was the perfect storm, and Buddy played it perfectly and got his man with a combination of solid plan, great execution and great luck. Then Mark Anderson, although he denies it, saw what happened with Mario and the Bills and he jumped in, too.

After a long several years of Ralph not trusting his hires with his money, because he felt like he blew it hiring Tom Donohoe and giving him too much power, was finally comfortable with Buddy Nix and trusted him to do what Buddy thought was best for the organization. And Ralph opened his pocketbook for Nix and his masterplan.

It all seemed to work on paper, and I for one think it's going to work on the field, too.

Myself, I think it's exactly what Buddy Nix said it was when he first started this thing. He knew it was going to take a little while. He knew there wasn't a lot of talent on the roster and he knew he wanted to build the team two-three ways: 1] Through the draft, 2] With high quality self-starters on and off the field, and 3] with a strategy that will last and not be a flash in the pan. The first two years he just assembled players that fit his mold and he started to get rid of most of the players that didnt fit his mold.

Then this, year, because he knew the base roster was a lot better than it was two years ago, and he knew that we were close to really competing, he went all in and went after a couple players that could put the team over the top. That's what he said he was going to do, and that is exactly what he did. He was extremely lucky this year however that the position the team needed the most, a dominant pass rushing DE, was the top free agent, and doubly lucky that the person, Mario Williams, was not a bright lights big city guy, but someone who genuinely wanted a small town atmosphere.

I hate the overused term but it was the perfect storm, and Buddy played it perfectly and got his man with a combination of solid plan, great execution and great luck. Then Mark Anderson, although he denies it, saw what happened with Mario and the Bills and he jumped in, too.

After a long several years of Ralph not trusting his hires with his money, because he felt like he blew it hiring Tom Donohoe and giving him too much power, was finally comfortable with Buddy Nix and trusted him to do what Buddy thought was best for the organization. And Ralph opened his pocketbook for Nix and his masterplan.

It all seemed to work on paper, and I for one think it's going to work on the field, too.

Can't wait for the movie.

Can't wait for the movie.

If it is based on a true story, s long as it ends with the Bills winning the Super Bowl.

It's a poignant revelation but also, it begs the question "why did he wait so long?"

The one plausible explanation is what someone else brought up in another thread (wish I could remember who because I liked the theory) which paraphrased Ralph as thinking,

If that's the case it's also a bit tragic in that he finally made a good hire with Nix but did so too late in the 4th quarter of his own life.

I think you mean me.

Yes, I think that RW's philosophy is to give a GM/Coach a chance to get things into place, and then if the team shows promise, he will open up the wallet. Some teams are big spenders consistently, but even then they haven't necessarily been successful. I can totally understand RW's approach, even if it has upset me in the past.

It's hard for me to formulate an opinion about someone that I don't know, that is operating in an economic sphere that I know so little about. Is he a good owner making the best of a tight financial situation? Is an evil robber baron toying with an economically depressed area? I don't know. None of us are privy to the huge economic/socialogical machinations behind the NFL, or what his role in it really is.

I hope that we all can share a Super Bowl victory with Mr. Wilson someday though. Even us peasants will have something in common with him that day.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Dog, I agree 100% with these comments, and specifically with respect to opening the pocketbook, I absolutely believe Ralph was embarrassed and distraught over what Donahoe did to his team. You can see that in the way he first resorted to bringing in an old confidante who had no business being a GM (Marv), but he finally struck gold in Buddy.

There is so much happening behind the scenes that we the fans will never be aware of - and, even different people who are behind the scenes are going to see and experience different things, and in the end view it from different angles. I just got a feeling, a few months ago, that one of the things the Bills would be playing for, week in and out this year, was to give Ralph a chance at seeing his team make it. He's definitely old, and certainly doesn't have long, and he did throw down whatever money they asked for to make it work.

The thing is, you just cannot throw money at the situation in the NFL and have it work. Teams like the Redskins, Cowboys, and Jets have proven that. I need only compare last years Eagles to this years Bills. That Eagles training camp and locker room was probably a mess! All those egos trying to come together to play a team sport. Now look at Buffalo - you've got a ton of talent and they're all saying and doing just what you would hope they would; they're modest, humble guys who are willing to sacrifice and work hard to win.

Nix was a fantastic hire - he will prove to be as good a GM as Polian was, I think, or at the very least as good as Butler. When he brought Whaley in from Pittsburgh, and restructured the scouting dept., to bringing in Wannstedt - and then the slow, methodical aquisition of players; he's put together a roster that has starting potential all over the place. Their plan worked - and it is kudos to Nix and Gailey for agreeing to make this their home and their chance at a Legacy.

As for an owner's spending policy - if Ralph was too old to be involved day to day, and couldn't take control of the search for a GM/Head Coach, since Marv and Butler left, and if I had to choose between an owner who'd spend enough to have decent players but never push it all the way, or one who'd wait and go all in every 7-10 years, I think I'd rather have a chance at a Powerhouse Championship team once a decade than a middle of the pack team that never makes it. Not that it comes down to only those options - I'm just saying, it isn't too little too late if they make it while he's alive to see it. I'm just glad we finally have what we do - because there isn't another team in the NFL I'd rather be rooting for right now than the Bills!

its not thurman or ralph this time, its the money thats doing the talking, thats why I believe hes serious. And for that matter what 75 year old, or 85 year old wouldnt say the same thing? Well he didnt. nd he didnt know hed make it to 90, and he wasnt spending money with the last 4 coaches, since he was a spritely 78 year old. so it looks legit that he thinks hes actually about to go out, and wants to go out a winner. Whats to argue about?

Honestly he could have said the same thing when they signed lofton.

no, that was the original "go at it" this is "one last go at it" 20 years later.

From what I read a few years back, Ralph Wilson tried to hire Buddy Nix several times with no success.

Embrace and enjoy RW's "one more go at it" - the man no doubt realizes he's not just on the "back nine of life", but walking toward the club house.

Whatever Ralph's reasoning or current mind-set, we should all be grateful that his latest spending spree has not merely transformed the Bills into contenders once again, but created an NFL dynasty that will dominate the league for years to come...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I've too have never fallen for the Ralph is cheap hype, cautiously frugal yes. He has many times spent the bucks that didn't prove fruitful but that's the game. Winning it all has a whole bunch of luck involved. Think the Pats would be the same team if not for the blind luck of Brady being the QB he turned into.Do you think they saw that coming?

Hurts to think about it but,painfully obvious, Ralph may not make it through this season. Lets all hope he does and the team rewards his 50 plus years of love for the game, the team and the Buffalo fans.

Edited by JinWPB

I think Ralph knows more about football than we give him credit for. He did spend money but the people he hired proved to be the wrong choices for whatever reason. I think he clamped down the purse strings when he knew the money would be wasted. Finally Ralph hit a winning combo with Nix and Gailey and, voila, the money flows.

PTR

yeah-Ralph tried

It was horrible luck that it turned out the marketing guy did not know schitt about building a football team :oops: