Harry Reid's Comments

Other areas of the global economy will rise up and fill the void. No one nation or group of nations is essential and unabstractable. Furthermore, European nations are sovereign entities unto themselves (excepting Eurozone nation's who have a partially shared sovereignty), hold there own elections, and have their own domestic policy. It is the absolute pinnacle of arrogance bred of the flawed notions of American Exceptionalism, Manifest Destiny, and White Man's Burden to believe that our duty is to strip them of their sovereignty for their own good.

I say !@#$ the Euros and focus all our attention on China and India. Massive growth potential for our goods there.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not- I just think it's funny to hear people talk about the candidates' plans to 'fix' the economy. How good do they think our economy can get, when the rest of the world is doing so bad.

Well, you can think it's "funny" but it's not. Domestic Policies do have an impact on the economy, and there are significant differences being proposed by both the candidates, and each of those differences have real life implications on the macro economy.

Basically what you are suggesting is, "well, since Europe's economy sucks, it doesn't matter what policy is in place, because, well.... Europe"

That's an awfully naive way to see things.

Well, you can think it's "funny" but it's not. Domestic Policies do have an impact on the economy, and there are significant differences being proposed by both the candidates, and each of those differences have real life implications on the macro economy.

Basically what you are suggesting is, "well, since Europe's economy sucks, it doesn't matter what policy is in place, because, well.... Europe"

That's an awfully naive way to see things.

I never said we should just throw up our hands and do nothing

How would you propose that a sitting American president would "fix" the European economy, when you have 13 separate voices that make up the Euro, and not a single one of them can agree on one thing?

Let me just save you the time from responding, we can't do anything other than make suggestions and even with those suggestions, they have their own politics to think of and they could give a flying rats ass what we think they should do.

Yes, but making suggestions that are reasonable and rational, and negotiating them with all parties, and coming to some sort of a shared vision for addressing the structural problems that everyone can agree to, if only grudgingly, is something an American president could do.

Or, he could invite all the European leaders over for beers on the White House lawn.

Yes, but making suggestions that are reasonable and rational, and negotiating them with all parties, and coming to some sort of a shared vision for addressing the structural problems that everyone can agree to, if only grudgingly, is something an American president could do.

Or, he could invite all the European leaders over for beers on the White House lawn.

If the discussions involved something that made sense from a political POV back home, and the sitting US president could effectively communicate this, while proposing sound policy, then I would agree with you. I suppose my skepticism is based on the fractious and disjointed nature of the Euro zone leaders.

If the discussions involved something that made sense from a political POV back home, and the sitting US president could effectively communicate this, while proposing sound policy, then I would agree with you. I suppose my skepticism is based on the fractious and disjointed nature of the Euro zone leaders.

Hey, I only said he could do it. Bill Clinton might have been able (though his idea of "sound policy" was "kick the can down the road so it's someone else's problem".) Bush II couldn't, Obama can't. Maybe Bush the First could have. Don't know about Romney...I'm guessing "no".

Clearly, there's only one living person that can solve the Eurozone crisis. Bono.

Hey, I only said he could do it. Bill Clinton might have been able (though his idea of "sound policy" was "kick the can down the road so it's someone else's problem".) Bush II couldn't, Obama can't. Maybe Bush the First could have. Don't know about Romney...I'm guessing "no".

Clearly, there's only one living person that can solve the Eurozone crisis. Bono.

He always was better than Steve Young :lol:

He claims he left Bain in 1999... I think he is lieing.

Really?!?

Funny, was he also lying about running the Salt Lake City Olympics in '99?

Do they still vent the fumes from the boats in the lock into the lock operator's office?

Maybe he should take more wives then. Glad that option might be on the table.

Softball, right over the plate.

Back to the thread topic. He could shut everybody up if he just does what his old man did. He'd come off as a stand up guy that has nothing to hide. Instead, he looks like an out of touch rich guy who's having a bout of oppositional defiant disorder kick in.

EII, trying to have a political discussion with you is like talking with a dog that isn't housebroken and trying to explain to it why people use a toilet.

Really?!?

Do they still vent the fumes from the boats in the lock into the lock operator's office?

I never reply with any substance when responding to Eric. However, I do mock the hell out of him

I never reply with any substance when responding to Eric. However, I do mock the hell out of him

I am not sure I ever got to know you? Are you really Magox? Why did you change your screen name... I missed this one.

Really?!?

LoL...

Wow... Taro T is stepping into the action now... This is like Blazin' Saddles with you guys. Point is he was probably making money from Bain longer than he said he was. He is hiding something. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Maybe he can pull off the indignant play and stand for nothing as usual... But it will be a close election if he does that. If the man is so different than Obama... He should stand for something.

I am not sure I ever got to know you? Are you really Magox? Why did you change your screen name... I missed this one.

LoL...

Wow... Taro T is stepping into the action now... This is like Blazin' Saddles with you guys. Point is he was probably making money from Bain longer than he said he was. He is hiding something. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Maybe he can pull off the indignant play and stand for nothing as usual... But it will be a close election if he does that. If the man is so different than Obama... He should stand for something.

What smoke do you see?