You want a position to worry about?

PTR. Your gloom and doom is tiring. Picking on two guys who are still learning the offense and will either A) not make the team or B) may never see the field.

It's still pre-season you don't need to bury the team yet. just once can you find something positive to say about the Bills?

I don't know. Maybe I am too positive. Figured I could find some piece of the sky that was falling and start a thread about it.

All kidding aside, it would worry me if we don't have a backup capable of running Chan's offense. From what has been said in various interviews, a lot of what happens is decided right at the line based on the defensive read with a lot of options that everyone needs to be aware of.

Yeah, really!

I don't get this thread. I'm am certain the OP had no problem with Thigpen as the backup last season. Now he's "worried"? I don't buy it.

Based on what?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Maybe I am too positive. Figured I could find some piece of the sky that was falling and start a thread about it.

All kidding aside, it would worry me if we don't have a backup capable of running Chan's offense. From what has been said in various interviews, a lot of what happens is decided right at the line based on the defensive read with a lot of options that everyone needs to be aware of.

Based on what?

PTR

Your entire body of work.

BY will win the job and he will be fine. He's rhe type of QB that you can just Turow him in there and let Jim do what he needs to do to win. If that means running from the QB position more than expected so be it. I have faith in VY being a quality backup to Fitz.

If BY can Turow the ball accurately, then go ahead and give Jim the job.

Read between the lines of this quote from David Lee in Mark Gaughan's article this morning, talking about Vince Young and the backup QB battle:

"When you get a guy that's really great at something - and he's a great runner - it makes him exceptional and it makes him more difficult to defend, and it gives you a chance for more big plays," Lee said. "That's what we saw Sunday night. We're not discouraging that. It's something you can't coach."

My guess is that their thinking with Young is that they have a truly exceptional talent and they can teach him the other stuff. Chan did it with Kordell Stewart and Young is better than Kordell. Remember, people knock him for his intelligence too. It's sad that in 2012 that African-American QBs are still stereotyped as great athletes and short on intelligence. Actually, it's worse than sad, it's pathetic.

"Remember, people knock him for his intelligence too. It's sad that in 2012 that African-American QBs are still stereotyped as great athletes and short on intelligence. Actually, it's worse than sad, it's pathetic."

I think you are still fighting a fight that's over. From Warren Moon to Randall Cunningham, I've seen black QB's play and not have their intelligence questioned.VY is having trouble with the play book. He had some issues in Tenn.also. Just cuz someone is labeled as athletic doesn't mean he's also labeled as not intelligent.On the flip side a white Terry Bradshaw was constantly knocked for his lack of intelligence and I'm sure we can come up with more white dumbass QB's(Leaf, etc). You are right, it's 2012 and people still read more into certain comments than what is really there. Drop it already.

Edited by Dopey

Either somebody dropkicked my sarcasm meter in the throat, or you've been "misremembering" PTR's posts. His sarcasm towards those who truly are doom-and-gloom are nearing legendary status.

He's one of the most positive posters (in a weird, sarcastic way) on the board.

Also, your screen name is hindering any chance of you being taken seriously, just an FYI.

:thumbsup: You're right on about Promo but I think this isn't necessarily doom and gloom but a reality check with the topic being "You want a position to worry about." If all we have to worry about is the back-up quarterback we're doing pretty good. We know who the #3 quarterback will be but in the end VY or BY if we want to go by another poster should win out because his athletic abilities will cover his lack of fully grasphing Chan's system.

:thumbsup: You're right on about Promo but I think this isn't necessarily doom and gloom but a reality check with the topic being "You want a position to worry about." If all we have to worry about is the back-up quarterback we're doing pretty good. We know who the #3 quarterback will be but in the end VY or BY if we want to go by another poster should win out because his athletic abilities will cover his lack of fully grasphing Chan's system.

I'm just a little worried that the backups can't run Chan's offense. That makes Fitz more a target for a cheap shot. Knock out Fitz and derail the Bills offense.

PTR

I'm just a little worried that the backups can't run Chan's offense. That makes Fitz more a target for a cheap shot. Knock out Fitz and derail the Bills offense.

PTR

I agree w/the QB situation. My concerns in order:

Qb (top to bottom)

LT

off the wall: Lindell - to be a 10+ win team you need a kicker who is dynamite in the clutch, imo.

Read between the lines of this quote from David Lee in Mark Gaughan's article this morning, talking about Vince Young and the backup QB battle:

"When you get a guy that's really great at something - and he's a great runner - it makes him exceptional and it makes him more difficult to defend, and it gives you a chance for more big plays," Lee said. "That's what we saw Sunday night. We're not discouraging that. It's something you can't coach."

My guess is that their thinking with Young is that they have a truly exceptional talent and they can teach him the other stuff. Chan did it with Kordell Stewart and Young is better than Kordell. Remember, people knock him for his intelligence too. It's sad that in 2012 that African-American QBs are still stereotyped as great athletes and short on intelligence. Actually, it's worse than sad, it's pathetic.

I think it has more to do with VY having one of the lowest Wonderlic scores ever at the combine, but I guess its easier to just say that its because of the colour of his skin as to why people think he isn't smart :rolleyes:

Unfortunately we have more to worry about than just the backup QB. (LT, WR, LB, CB to name a few). Not to mention switching to a new scheme on defense and starting rookies at key positions.

I think it has more to do with VY having one of the lowest Wonderlic scores ever at the combine, but I guess its easier to just say that its because of the colour of his skin as to why people think he isn't smart :rolleyes:

Thigpen ain't exactly splitting the atom out there either.

PTR

I agree 100%. I heard that in DC, Mike Shannahan hired a local rapper to come in and translate the playbook for RG III because he couldn't understand anything unless it was translated into urban slang for him. Being that he's regarded as so unintelligent and everything.

PTR

My main concern is that they brought in a guy in VY whose skills don't match the offense. Gaily's attack is a pre-read, quick throw offense - the opposite of Young's skills. He's a playmaker that drops back, scans the field and makes things happen. He's never been a guy who quickly gets rid of balls. Young's problems in the past have been two fold - his accuracy and his decision making. Those are the two things that are most needed in Chan's offense. To top it off his playmaking strengths get diminished in this type of O. I'm sure they'd re-tool the offense if Fitz went down but why bring in a guy as a backup who can't run the offense you have?

My main concern is that they brought in a guy in VY whose skills don't match the offense. Gaily's attack is a pre-read, quick throw offense - the opposite of Young's skills. He's a playmaker that drops back, scans the field and makes things happen. He's never been a guy who quickly gets rid of balls. Young's problems in the past have been two fold - his accuracy and his decision making. Those are the two things that are most needed in Chan's offense. To top it off his playmaking strengths get diminished in this type of O. I'm sure they'd re-tool the offense if Fitz went down but why bring in a guy as a backup who can't run the offense you have?

There weren't many options for #2 QB out there. I'm concerned if it is VY at #2, Chan will have to toss the playbook. I wonder if Brad Smith has a better handle?

So much of the offense relies on the QB being able to read what the D is putting up then making adjustments at the line of scrimmage. That is a lot of responsibility for whoever the QB is.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm just a little worried that the backups can't run Chan's offense. That makes Fitz more a target for a cheap shot. Knock out Fitz and derail the Bills offense.PTR

Knock out ____ and derail the ________'s offense.

That's nearly every team in the league. Should they all be most worried about their backup QB situation?

And you are saying you were this concerned last year about the backup position? Why is that?

Megamind...yea right! That is why its so essential for the great running QB to fit the 5 WR spread, quick throw offensive system rather then set him up to be the Wild Cat QB.

Chan Gailey proved to me last season with his constant calling for 4-5 WR spread, shotgun passing plays with an injured QB, one decent WR that he is no better then Turk Schonert or Alex Van Pelt. Because that is the exact same crap they both used to call all game long with JP Losman & Trent Edwards. Hey, you know what. Those two boneheads no longer in a coordinators job did better with 2 scrub broken QB's then megamind has done with Fitz, who everyone acknowledges is far and away a better QB then those 2.

Why is it that Tyler Thigpen can't run Gaileys offense now? Wasn't he the same guy that Gailey coached so well in KC back in 2008 as their OC?

I'll tell you why, because its Fitz's ability to read and react so quickly its scary. Fitz gets the ball out to the open WR between 1.5 - 3 seconds and that is something you can't teach. Both Losman and Edwards couldn't do it, at least not to the WR's. The Bills tried to do that with Mike Mularkey as HC and Drew Bledsoe as QB and it failed.

If Gailey were an actual megamind he would simplify the offense for Vince Young because of his limited abilities (wonderlic of 6 score on his first take, 14 on his retake ) average score for the QB position is 24. I highly doubt Vince Young will ever be mistaken for Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB in Gaileys quick strike spread offense. Just like Young didn't pick up the WCO while in Philly.

Young still is a better viable option at back up or WC QB with a strong running game, and running to set up the pass. With what the author stated in utilizing more play action and bootlegs.

http://www.buffalone...ticle977585.ece

I think the Bills have got a better back up In Vince Young then most realize, now if they just utilize him properly....