The Mitt-stakes continue

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't laugh. Dow's up over 200 pts on this and solidly back above 13,000. I'm seeing an improving market going into the election, which will hell Obama

Hey everyone! The Dow is up over 13,000. Fourth time this year! And everyone knows, then the Dow is up, the economy is on the mend. Yeah, I know unemployment is up and millions of people are out of work and suffering, but look at the Dow!!!

Jesus.

Hey everyone! The Dow is up over 13,000. Fourth time this year! And everyone knows, then the Dow is up, the economy is on the mend. Yeah, I know unemployment is up and millions of people are out of work and suffering, but look at the Dow!!!

Jesus.

Anyone who uses the Dow as an indicator of how the economy is doing is an idiot.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-03/u-s-july-payrolls-rise-more-than-forecast-unemployment-8-3-.html

The unemployment rate was forecast to hold at 8.2 percent, according to the survey median. Estimates in the Bloomberg survey ranged from 8.1 percent to 8.3 percent. The report showed more people left the labor force.

Jesus.

Seems everybody is doing well here:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/148040-how-is-everyone-doing/

Must not be the working stiffs that get to post... Oh wait, shouldn't they be outta work?

Don't laugh. Dow's up over 200 pts on this and solidly back above 13,000. Job growth was stronger than expected. I'm seeing an improving market going into the election, which will help Obama

Just parrot the talking points Joe. Honestly....who falls for that "stronger than expected" crap anymore.....lol

"I'd call this a soft 163," said Steve Blitz, chief economist at investment research firm ITG in New York. "If you want to take from this the notion that the economy is not heading to a recession or something more ominous, that's fine. But if you want to take from this the idea that the economy is about to accelerate, I think that would be a big mistake."

Despite the seemingly good news, the report's household survey showed that the actual amount of Americans working dropped by 195,000, with the net job gain resulting primarily from seasonal adjustments in the establishment survey. The birth-death model, which approximates net job growth from newly added or closed businesses, added 52,000 to the total.

The household survey also showed 150,000 fewer Americans in the workforce.

CNBC

OK sorry my bad for assuming anyone of you had brokerage accounts and 401k's. But fact is markets up almost 60% since Obama took over. And you bet your broke asses they'll find a way to use that as positive ammunition. There's also a general positive wealth effect, which since I market strength for a while here, will increasingly help Obama. To put it more abstractly (since you dont have financial asset statements to look at), if you're saying up markets won't help Obama, thats almost like saying down markets wont hurt him. Really? You think if the Dow were down 60% since he took office that wouldnt effect the election? Really? REALLY?!?!

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

OK sorry my bad for assuming anyone of you had brokerage accounts and 401k's. But fact is markets up almost 60% since Obama took over. And you bet your broke asses they'll find a way to use that as positive ammunition. There's also a general positive wealth effect, which since I market strength for a while here, will increasingly help Obama. To put it more abstractly (since you dont have financial asset statements to look at), if you're saying up markets won't help Obama, thats almost like saying down markets wont hurt him. Really? You think if the Dow were down 60% since he took office that wouldnt effect the election? Really? REALLY?!?!

The President doesn't make the markets move. Only idiots think he does. And you're forgetting that most people aren't any better off now than they were four years ago, simply because that "60% increase" brought people back to where they were before Obama took office.

And I have brokerage accounts and a 401(k)...the President doesn't make those move either.

For a guy with a "background" in finance, you really have no !@#$ing clue what makes those markets move and how insignificant the equity markets actually are in relation to the economy.

For a guy with a "background" in finance, you really have no !@#$ing clue what makes those markets move and how insignificant the equity markets actually are in relation to the economy.

I thought I knew what made the economy work ... until I watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s

We're doomed! DOOMED!

Note: The video is 2 hours long. No person in their right mind should watch it fully. Thankfully, I'm not in my right mind so I did and had a ball with it. The saner folks here will laugh at the height of the paranoia/conspiracy in this. It covers everything: Illuminati, Ancient Aliens, Free Energy, Politics, Monkey knife fighting, and more.

While I realize no one will probably watch this (because you have lives), and I am in no way advocating anything contained within this video (but for Aliens because they're aliens), I will say this; if you're lacking a social life or significant other and are looking to kill some time, throw back a few adult beverages and check this out for the comedic value. It's kind of awesome in it's craziness.

youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s

We're doomed! DOOMED!

Note: The video is 2 hours long. No person in their right mind should watch it fully. Thankfully, I'm not in my right mind so I did and had a ball with it. The saner folks here will laugh at the height of the paranoia/conspiracy in this. It covers everything: Illuminati, Ancient Aliens, Free Energy, Politics, Monkey knife fighting, and more.

While I realize no one will probably watch this (because you have lives), and I am in no way advocating anything contained within this video (but for Aliens because they're aliens), I will say this; if you're lacking a social life or significant other and are looking to kill some time, throw back a few adult beverages and check this out for the comedic value. It's kind of awesome in it's craziness.

I'm at work but I usually listen to youtube videos in the background so I'll give it a shot :D

Don't laugh. Dow's up over 200 pts on this and solidly back above 13,000. Job growth was stronger than expected. I'm seeing an improving market going into the election, which will help Obama

The Dow is up 200 because of anticipation of yet another dismal jobs report and that, in reaction, the Fed will release more dollars into the economy. Did ANYONE here take Economics??

youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s

We're doomed! DOOMED!

While I realize no one will probably watch this (because you have lives), and I am in no way advocating anything contained within this video (but for Aliens because they're aliens), I will say this; if you're lacking a social life or significant other and are looking to kill some time, throw back a few adult beverages and check this out for the comedic value.

No chupacabra? How accurate can it be without the chupacabra?

It's kind of awesome in it's craziness.

Not unlike me...

Without a doubt a rising stock market is good for any incumbent president, because there is a wealth effect. However, the amount of people participating in the stock market are nearly at all time lows as volumes have virtually vanished, which suggests that the majority of the money in these markets comes from Professional traders, and that a rising stock market isn't as significant for the electorate as it use to be. But lets not kid ourselves, it is a net positive for the president.

Having said that, the stock market is up mainly because of two reasons, one is the federal reserves easy money policies that are helping now, fueled by ultra low interest rates (which I happen to believe at the end of the day it will end up being a net negative) and two, corporations are doing well because a) they cut costs down dramatically and have become more efficient b) most sales growth is/was being driven by overseas growth.

Edited by WorldTraveller

When Mezza and I vanish next week, everyone will know the Illuminati have "disappeared" us. :devil:

They could at least come and destroy me after Breaking Bad is completely done, the bills win the superbowl and my vacation is completed.

For evil overseers, they could at least have some decency.

No chupacabra? How accurate can it be without the chupacabra?

Not unlike me...

Had they included the chupacabra then I'd know this was the "truth" and thus I wouldn't be making light of it. Everyone knows that whenever something involves a chupacabra the legitimacy goes up ten fold!

I don't click on those Peter Pan links but nice try. I explained the origins of the word and the symbionic nature of it and also "runs". You make up some crap and then put in stuff about plants and rocks? What was that for; to make line #1 sound more realistic?

Peter Pan links? Bullschit.

post-9928-010977500 1344012082_thumb.jpg

They could at least come and destroy me after Breaking Bad is completely done, the bills win the superbowl and my vacation is completed.

For evil overseers, they could at least have some decency.

Amen to that on all counts. :beer: