Penn State sanctions handed down

ACor58

You know NCAA more then I do, and now I am confused by this. ESPN is reporting that teams are making efforts to contact Penn State players to their school. With the no-sitout year policy in effect this is concerning. It makes these players "free-agents" of sorts. (one decision I do support is letting players leave without penalty) How is it fair that these players can pursued? To me it raises too many worries of ethics violations - paying players, incentives, etc.

I agree that actively contacting then seeks improper unless they have decommited somehow. Otherwise they should have to reach out. I heard they will be able to leave for years to come too, which if it's just a feeding frenzy seems improper. Every time one gets benched, they will have to worry he's immediately gone?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shutting it down entirely hurts the players just good enough for Penn State but not good enough for other schools.

The players getting by one last year on the way to graduation, too.

Transferring credits is a very hard process the further along you are academically.

Good point. It's a fine line of trying to cause enough chaos to produce a significant culture change but not hurt the innocent, I suppose.

Sorry, but I find that naive. The football program has already and will continue to suffer. Of that, there is really no question about it.

But, yes, I suspect there will be many athletic cuts at Penn St. due to budget. They can't just print their own money.

I may have misrepresented what I was saying. Internally the PSU football team will be the last to suffer.

You bring up a good point. They are a land grant school. They rely on income from the state - what kind of backlash will they face from the state? Could they get sympathy money, too?

This whole "sanctioning" by the NCAA still makes me sick. The NCAA makes sure students don't commit academic fraud and makes sure that there is not cheating or payouts to players. That's it. They overstepped their rights. They punished players that had nothing to do with this creating more victims. They spitefully stripped wins away from Paterno. Then force them to pay $60 million for what? Isn't that what the court system is for? There is going to be close to $200mm in lawsuits. Then removing scholarships for 10 years? That's a joke.

Three of their top recruits stayed did not decommit; only one has (last I saw). Brent Musburger was very well spoken about this on Mike and Mike. I ended up turning it, but the only thing he missed was that football management and the school administration failed. Those people need to be punished for their cover up, for their mistakes, for their faults but that is it. All of those people are no longer with the program.

Also, he said he was ok with USC's punishment. I was not. Reggie Bush should have been stripped of all records and NCAA recognition. If the NCAA took a more proactive approach to their work things would be a lot different, but they are not and they will always be a joke. Putting up posters in locker rooms is their biggest job.

To think this is just a "culture" problem at Penn State then it is a mistake. From schools like Bowling Green to the Ohio State University athletic programs rule the school - usually football taking the crown. Other schools, USC, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas and so many more there is the same "culture." Look at the OTW thread about a guy who won't even wear a tOSU tie at a friends funeral because he likes UM. It is the fault of the public who idolize college athletics over academics. It makes me sick that the NCAA did a knee jerk - public reaction punishment.

and there is a certain irony to the governing organization putting themselves above the rules, in order to punish PSU for doing the same.

Ive said it a few times, and got killed in the OTW thread for saying this isnt football/ncaa problem. Perhaps i worded it poorly as i agree that it centers around football programs especially, but i still do not think the sport or the student athlete is at the core of this and i agree that those are the things the NCAA is charged with protecting.

as much as i want to see everyone take a major hit on something like this - it doesnt mean that i think this is the right way to do it. i do follow a justification to shoe horn it into their jurisdiction under it being essentially a win at all costs type of move, and therefore you can follow into punishing it like you would a recruitment violation (hit recruiting with scholarships and bowls, and vacate wins).... but it seems to be forced to satisfy a thirst for blood on this one. the idea that its obvious if a kid is getting dinged for trading his jersey for a tattoo and somehow the ncaa needs to step in on this. i dont think its that obvious though.

granted i dont claim to be an NCAA expert but it was my impression that the major pillars of the organization are with regards to protecting the safety and sanctity of the student athlete. a mission which i dont think they do particularly well at - especially since they took on the responsibility of TV contracts, but thats a whole different issue - but in this case, although there were tons of victims, and should be punishment galore for the parties involved... it wasnt a student athlete kind of issue. it wasnt paying amateurs, it wasnt a competitive edge, it didnt endanger players... i dont find the punishments themself that outrageous, but from my understanding (again not an expert) it just doesnt seem like their spot. i keep hearing about incentive to never happen again, and i think that prison terms do a lot more for that than the new coach not being able to give out scholarships. the thing with recruiting issues is it still hits the boosters providing the money and the perks, even if pete carroll and reggie bush are gone, so a lesson can be learned not to pay out in the future. recruiting punishments work well for recruiting violations, and this just isnt in that spectrum.

as much as i want to see everything torn down - it just doesnt fit whats in place for what the ncaa is supposed to be. just like we cant parade sandusky into town square and stone him for what hes done. the punishment, though satisfying in the moment, and surely a statement would be made.... it just wouldnt fit the legal systems in place. just like we cant lock up the idiots that still dont get it. just because the ncaa is some huge vague governing body with no one governing its actions doesnt seem to make it fit as an authority on this case.

some may not like that take, but i think its a pretty common one that ive heard out of more level headed talking heads in the last 24 hours - so i hope people dont just dismiss it as PSU brainwashing. its not.

Edited by NoSaint

Laughable post. This is crushing to penn st. We'll probably have an 8-team playoff before penn state is relevant again. It'll be at least 5-10 years before they are competitive enough to threaten bowl games, more than (if ever) that for big time bowl games.

Consider the following:

1. After this season, depending on how many players leave, Penn state is looking at minimum of 3-5 seasons where they will claw and scratch to win 2-3 games. They are going to field a roster of 2 star recruits, with a scattering of 3 star players mixed in. Their talent level will be at that of a MAC team. No player with NFL aspirations is going near that program for the near future.

2. They will have no depth. The 20 scholarship ban takes them to a 1-AA scholarship level (in terms of numbers) team. It eliminates an entire tier of scholarship players off of the depth chart. Think of this. If you're a 2-star player, are you going to want to go to a Temple type school where you can start and play and win, or a penn state where you're going to physically get your ass kicked for 8 games per year?

3. Even when the bowl ban is lifted, you think big time recruits are all of a sudden going to flock back to happy valley? hell no. You think a 4-star QB is gonna go to a school where he's surrounded by 2-star talent? No way. It'll take years to build up the talent level even when they get past the sanctions.

4. Unlike USC, penn state CAN't recruit nationally. USC can grab players from anywhere in the country. Penn st can't. They're limited to PA, the northeast, and some of the mid atlantic. They can't simply walk into FL, CA, or TX and get who they want like USC/UT/florida schools can. Not to mention that other teams in the area are going to expand recruiting lines, especially 'Cuse and Pitt who can now use moving to the ACC to their advantage.

This punishment is just as bad as the death penalty, and completely warranted. Penn state isn't going to be relevant anytime soon.

Excellent post, spot on. One other point: USC's violations pale in comparison. Being associated with a school that enabled a child molester far outweighs any recruiting ar payment improprieties. Put a fork in this program for a long, long time. I wonder how this will affect recruiting in all areas of the university? I know I'd encourage my daughter to go elsewhere. Penn State may be looking at 2 star talent across the board. This will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by Marauder24

Excellent post, spot on. One other point: USC's violations pale in comparison. Being associated with a school that enabled a child molester far outweighs any recruiting ar payment improprieties. Put a fork in this program for a long, long time. I wonder how this will affect recruiting in all areas of the university? I know I'd encourage my daughter to go elsewhere. Penn State may be looking at 2 star talent across the board. This will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

USC committed NCAA infractions. PSU's infractions, while worse, were on a legal scale. Apples and oranges.

Exactly. Which is why apples are ranked in the top 3 and oranges will be irrelevant for years.

hahahahaha, holy crickies you're right on there. Seems so laughable, the NCAA, the more we think about it.

hahahahaha, holy crickies you're right on there. Seems so laughable, the NCAA, the more we think about it.

My point is that there is a stigma attached to PSU, whereas NCAA violations are a dime a dozen. That stigma will be very hard to get rid of.

replaced by what? a new, unproven guy who doesnt know their system. scholarship is essential to recruiting any desirable player. you dont think retaining top players matters? concurrently grooming their replacements? one analyst related to a major baseball team losing their entire farm system. THATS DEATH

idk how many games theyre going to win.

My point was that guys leave for the pros on many teams before their 4 years are up and their scholarships go to someone else. Happpens all the time. Obviously the new unproven guy is usually a freshman who doesn't know the system. That's how it works....

and there is a certain irony to the governing organization putting themselves above the rules, in order to punish PSU for doing the same.

Ive said it a few times, and got killed in the OTW thread for saying this isnt football/ncaa problem. Perhaps i worded it poorly as i agree that it centers around football programs especially, but i still do not think the sport or the student athlete is at the core of this and i agree that those are the things the NCAA is charged with protecting.

as much as i want to see everyone take a major hit on something like this - it doesnt mean that i think this is the right way to do it. i do follow a justification to shoe horn it into their jurisdiction under it being essentially a win at all costs type of move, and therefore you can follow into punishing it like you would a recruitment violation (hit recruiting with scholarships and bowls, and vacate wins).... but it seems to be forced to satisfy a thirst for blood on this one. the idea that its obvious if a kid is getting dinged for trading his jersey for a tattoo and somehow the ncaa needs to step in on this. i dont think its that obvious though.

granted i dont claim to be an NCAA expert but it was my impression that the major pillars of the organization are with regards to protecting the safety and sanctity of the student athlete. a mission which i dont think they do particularly well at - especially since they took on the responsibility of TV contracts, but thats a whole different issue - but in this case, although there were tons of victims, and should be punishment galore for the parties involved... it wasnt a student athlete kind of issue. it wasnt paying amateurs, it wasnt a competitive edge, it didnt endanger players... i dont find the punishments themself that outrageous, but from my understanding (again not an expert) it just doesnt seem like their spot. i keep hearing about incentive to never happen again, and i think that prison terms do a lot more for that than the new coach not being able to give out scholarships. the thing with recruiting issues is it still hits the boosters providing the money and the perks, even if pete carroll and reggie bush are gone, so a lesson can be learned not to pay out in the future. recruiting punishments work well for recruiting violations, and this just isnt in that spectrum.

as much as i want to see everything torn down - it just doesnt fit whats in place for what the ncaa is supposed to be. just like we cant parade sandusky into town square and stone him for what hes done. the punishment, though satisfying in the moment, and surely a statement would be made.... it just wouldnt fit the legal systems in place. just like we cant lock up the idiots that still dont get it. just because the ncaa is some huge vague governing body with no one governing its actions doesnt seem to make it fit as an authority on this case.

some may not like that take, but i think its a pretty common one that ive heard out of more level headed talking heads in the last 24 hours - so i hope people dont just dismiss it as PSU brainwashing. its not.

I really didn't have feelings about NCAA involvement until a few weeks ago, and mostly based on the actions of some of the vocal kookie alumni. Personally I read your posts as an attempt to scapegoat 4 people, just so you can have your Penn State football. The culture was a big part of the problem. The culture there has to change.

I tend to believe there was a football problem in as much as some of the abuse happened on the Penn State Campus, in the Penn State locker room and it was the Penn State Head Football Coach who talked the others out of reporting a serial pedophile to the police.

I really didn't have feelings about NCAA involvement until a few weeks ago, and mostly based on the actions of some of the vocal kookie alumni. Personally I read your posts as an attempt to scapegoat 4 people, just so you can have your Penn State football. The culture was a big part of the problem. The culture there has to change.

I tend to believe there was a football problem in as much as some of the abuse happened on the Penn State Campus, in the Penn State locker room and it was the Penn State Head Football Coach who talked the others out of reporting a serial pedophile to the police.

see, the "so i can have penn state football" argument is just weak. anyone against this is somehow for penn state, and thats not the case. id be hardpressed to say ive watched 60 minutes of penn state football in the last decade, and i wouldnt particularly notice if they never played again.

whether or not the ncaa punishments could fix the situation, my questions center around the fact that it doesnt seem they truly have the authority to attempt to fix the situation and are just trying to satisfy a public outcry, instead of fulfilling their founding mission.

there are lots of situations in life that lead to bad outcomes, and we dont sweep in with punishments for the culture. though in specific instances, those may be effective, it doesnt mean that its a proper way to handle it.

is it also an academic problem in so much that it involved the university president, university employees, was at a psu facility involved ridiculous alums (and probably a lot more ridiculous people with no association beyond cable tv and a psu tshirt) and now the academic accreditation organization should also weigh in?

my question wasnt do i hate what penn state did (yes), do i think the culture is rotten (definitely needs fixing) - its focused on what the NCAA is supposed to be, which you really didnt address.

Edited by NoSaint

This whole "sanctioning" by the NCAA still makes me sick. The NCAA makes sure students don't commit academic fraud and makes sure that there is not cheating or payouts to players. That's it. They overstepped their rights. They punished players that had nothing to do with this creating more victims. They spitefully stripped wins away from Paterno. Then force them to pay $60 million for what? Isn't that what the court system is for? There is going to be close to $200mm in lawsuits. Then removing scholarships for 10 years? That's a joke.

Three of their top recruits stayed did not decommit; only one has (last I saw). Brent Musburger was very well spoken about this on Mike and Mike. I ended up turning it, but the only thing he missed was that football management and the school administration failed. Those people need to be punished for their cover up, for their mistakes, for their faults but that is it. All of those people are no longer with the program.

Also, he said he was ok with USC's punishment. I was not. Reggie Bush should have been stripped of all records and NCAA recognition. If the NCAA took a more proactive approach to their work things would be a lot different, but they are not and they will always be a joke. Putting up posters in locker rooms is their biggest job.

To think this is just a "culture" problem at Penn State then it is a mistake. From schools like Bowling Green to the Ohio State University athletic programs rule the school - usually football taking the crown. Other schools, USC, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas and so many more there is the same "culture." Look at the OTW thread about a guy who won't even wear a tOSU tie at a friends funeral because he likes UM. It is the fault of the public who idolize college athletics over academics. It makes me sick that the NCAA did a knee jerk - public reaction punishment.

edit: added later

watching ESPN it seems like other football teams are pretty much contacting Penn State players trying to recruit them away from PSU. how is that right?

They put their football program above the law and the welfare of children, so !@#$ their football program. At no point did anyone associated with the scandal do the right thing because they didn't want to affect recruiting. Seems pretty right to me.

They put their football program above the law and the welfare of children, so !@#$ their football program. At no point did anyone associated with the scandal do the right thing because they didn't want to affect recruiting. Seems pretty right to me.

And there in lies the problem. It's not "their" program anymore, the major role players in the scandel aren't at Penn State anymore. So the NCAA is in fact punishing the insititution that is Penn State. Why should the current players, who didn't have any control over the situation, be punished for what some people did, who aren't even with the program anymore. Yes, it sends a great message to other schools, I understand that. But why punish the players?

After absorbing some commentary on the PSU sanctions I'm starting to feel like they are fair. At first I felt it was death penalty or nothing. But I see now this is probably as bad if not worse. It's sad for those who had absolutely nothing to do with this mess, but it had to happen. Those who were in charge shoulder all the blame.

PTR

A lot of good discussion and opinions offered here. I'll throw in some of mine in an attempt to organize:

WHY THESE PENALTIES ARE NOT NEARLY AS HARSH AS THE "DEATH PENALTY":

Let's stop comparing this to SMU. The version of the death penalty they received was far worse than what Penn State was just hit with.

They had an entire season cancelled. Just let that sink in.

When that happens, everyone leaves. No one comes in. You start completely from scratch. SMU had to cancel an additional season because they couldn't field a team. And that's on top of the scholarship losses, coaching staff limits and recruiting bans.

SMU went from the peak of its power to dust. They didn't get back to a bowl game for over 20 years. So while this is a crippling blow to PSU's program, let's not go overboard.

WHY THESE PENALTIES ARE NO JOKE AND NOT SOMETHING PSU WILL EASILY BOUNCE BACK FROM:

Ramius, et al have done a very good job laying it out. There are three things at play that will knee-cap PSU in different ways, but the biggest bullet is the scholarship reduction.

If you don't follow college football closely, you might not see just how crucial maximizing scholarship numbers are. I won't launch into a whole SEC ethical argument about over-signing and grey-shirting, but any reduction in the number of scholarship players a team has at any given time is huge as it reduces the margin of error on recruiting misses. Players get injured, players transfer, players fail out or get caught with a gun. Or maybe they just don't live up to their billing. What PSU will face in terms of a numbers reduction will make it so not only will they be unable to sign many of their targets, but they will be replacing them with walk-ons if/when something unforeseen happens.

What Southern Cal is doing right now is a combination of extremely clever rules-manipulation and almost unprecedented excellence in recruiting ability. Plus, they entered their sanctions period with more roster talent than PSU will see in 5 years combined. They are not a typical case and should not be viewed upon as a parallel. With or without sanctions, Southern Cal has been able to recruit the best talent in the country for decades and that isn't going to change.

BUT, despite having an almost ideal "sanctioned" situation, Southern Cal is still on the verge of falling off the cliff. They won't truly feel the burn of their penalties for another few years when their small classes are the upperclassmen and they have little or no depth. During the Carroll years, they were so stocked that they had blue-chip players sometimes 3-deep on their depth charts. While their starting talent hasn't skipped a beat, their depth is nothing like it was. If a few OL go down this year, or a CB or two, they will feel it. Having an All-American senior at QB will make up for most warts. But unless the next guy in can carry the torch, you won't see them near the top 5-10 in a year or two.

And the long-winded point of that is, they are in a WOLRD'S better position than PSU could dream to be.

WHAT'S UP WITH THE TRANSFERRING PLAYERS:

The biggest backlash against the NCAA penalties has been the oft-repeated line of "it punishes players that had nothing to do with the scandal."

First off, so what? That's what happens with punishments. There is collateral damage. It's part of life. I'm sure there were dozens of Ohio State players who weren't picking up free gear or tattoos. I'm sure not every USC player got the Reggie Bush treatment. They suffer anyway. It's the way it goes.

Second, the NCAA has given all current PSU players the ability to transfer to any program that can admit them without any penalty. AND to grease the skids on the "buyer" side, they are allowing teams that are currently at the 85-player limit to count the transfer towards the next year's class. Meaning, "there's no room at the inn" won't be a roadblock like it normally would be at this late juncture.

I empathize with current players and recruits. I imagine these last few months have been confusing, stressful and likely very depressing. But their careers are far from over. They are in less than ideal situations, but they have the power to change their circumstances. You know what else sucks? When players go to a school because they love the coach and then the coach leaves. A new coach comes in and they don't fit the new plan. Now what? Having your college career unfold free of bad luck, bad results or unforeseen events is not a right. And while the current PSU players have been saddled with a ****ty situation not of their making, this does not make them unique, or tragic victims.

see, the "so i can have penn state football" argument is just weak. anyone against this is somehow for penn state, and thats not the case. id be hardpressed to say ive watched 60 minutes of penn state football in the last decade, and i wouldnt particularly notice if they never played again.

whether or not the ncaa punishments could fix the situation, my questions center around the fact that it doesnt seem they truly have the authority to attempt to fix the situation and are just trying to satisfy a public outcry, instead of fulfilling their founding mission.

there are lots of situations in life that lead to bad outcomes, and we dont sweep in with punishments for the culture. though in specific instances, those may be effective, it doesnt mean that its a proper way to handle it.

So if not in the case of protecting and enabling a serial pedophile and rapist where do you draw the line?

is it also an academic problem in so much that it involved the university president, university employees, was at a psu facility involved ridiculous alums (and probably a lot more ridiculous people with no association beyond cable tv and a psu tshirt) and now the academic accreditation organization should also weigh in?

my question wasnt do i hate what penn state did (yes), do i think the culture is rotten (definitely needs fixing) - its focused on what the NCAA is supposed to be, which you really didnt address.

You apparently have a much narrower point of view regarding the NCAA's authority regarding association bylaws and the NCAA Constitution relating to control over the athletic department, integrity and ethical conduct than most of us.

and there is a certain irony to the governing organization putting themselves above the rules, in order to punish PSU for doing the same. ...

The NCAA didn't put themselves above anything, let alone the rules. The member organizations that govern the NCAA gave them the authority to act in this case. You can call it "shoehorning" but that's not the same as breaking their own rules. As a fan of nuance, you should appreciate that some events can't be anticipated and rule books don't hold all the answers. Moving forward, I'm sure the NCAA will add new frameworks to their bylaws. I don't think anyone anticipated having to punish a school because they covered up the activities of a pedophile that raped a 10 year old boy at the athletic facilities of one of their member organizations. When they were sitting around the conference table, I doubt anyone offered up that scenario.

Why do you think the member organizations gave the NCAA the authority to address this situation? Please spare me the tired refrains of the PSU alums that simply say they were brainwashed by the media and the Freeh report and simply caved to public pressure.

The NCAA does a sh*t load of things the wrong way. And they've certainly made many enemies over the years. They seldom play on a level field. Their punishments often seem arbitrary. They are slave to the almighty dollar as anyone else. There is plenty to be cynical about when it comes to the NCAA.

None of that matters in this case.

I'm amazed that this simple fact escapes anyone defending PSU in this case. It's mind boggling. Too bad it wasn't a simple "football" problem. It would be he easier for people to understand.

After absorbing some commentary on the PSU sanctions I'm starting to feel like they are fair. At first I felt it was death penalty or nothing. But I see now this is probably as bad if not worse. It's sad for those who had absolutely nothing to do with this mess, but it had to happen. Those who were in charge shoulder all the blame.

PTR

Sad but FAR from tragic.

You did lay out your arguments well, I just don't agree with them. I've seen enough schools go through bowl suspensions, TV suspensions, and reduced scholarships, and they all bounce back.

I don't think it's "almost unanimous," either.

We'll know in a few years. Until then, it's just competing opinions.

So you dont think they'll have trouble recruiting? This is vastly different than USC or Ohio St. you havent explained any reasons.

And I have yet to hear any big time writer or reporter think that this won't decimate penn state dor a decade.

The NCAA didn't put themselves above anything, let alone the rules. The member organizations that govern the NCAA gave them the authority to act in this case. You can call it "shoehorning" but that's not the same as breaking their own rules. As a fan of nuance, you should appreciate that some events can't be anticipated and rule books don't hold all the answers. Moving forward, I'm sure the NCAA will add new frameworks to their bylaws. I don't think anyone anticipated having to punish a school because they covered up the activities of a pedophile that raped a 10 year old boy at the athletic facilities of one of their member organizations. When they were sitting around the conference table, I doubt anyone offered up that scenario.

Why do you think the member organizations gave the NCAA the authority to address this situation? Please spare me the tired refrains of the PSU alums that simply say they were brainwashed by the media and the Freeh report and simply caved to public pressure.

The NCAA does a sh*t load of things the wrong way. And they've certainly made many enemies over the years. They seldom play on a level field. Their punishments often seem arbitrary. They are slave to the almighty dollar as anyone else. There is plenty to be cynical about when it comes to the NCAA.

None of that matters in this case.

I'm amazed that this simple fact escapes anyone defending PSU in this case. It's mind boggling. Too bad it wasn't a simple "football" problem. It would be he easier for people to understand.

Sad but FAR from tragic.

Honestly I'm not particularly upset by the penalties but I do think that there ie a rule book in place for a reason. If Sandusky was selling drugs to professors/boosters out of an office in the football building we wouldn't be calling for immediate NCAA intervention - he'd be arrested, he'd be tried, coaches that knew would face consequence based on their actions both legally and from their employer etc....

Child rape is terrible but screaming "will someone think of the kids" doesn't make this the right way to handle it. I'm just as anti-child rape as anyone here and just as anti-PSU but I'm also very much for governing bodies strictly following their rules and fulfilling their purpose. I don't think this is the NCAAs purpose.

I'm far from an expert but I've seen many a good source argue the same.

Edited by NoSaint