Penn State sanctions handed down

ACor58

Emmert specifically mentioned that PSU was NOT allowed to have the fine negatively impact other athletic programs at the school. Let's hope that's the case.

GO BILLS!!!

I hadn't seen that, thanks.

Some have argued (in the face of arguments that bigtime football is so bigtime that it distorts the mission of universities) that football revenues pay for other sports. Now we have an interesting control group to test that.

kj

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't seen that, thanks.

Some have argued (in the face of arguments that bigtime football is so bigtime that it distorts the mission of universities) that football revenues pay for other sports. Now we have an interesting control group to test that.

kj

well, not really.

im sure they can eat the 60m with the endowment for example. the 50 million in annual profits does pay for something though. it wasnt just going in the ADs pockets. a one year hit isnt totally changing the structure so its not much in the way of a comparison in regards to longterm budget and financing.

Honestly this is just like having no football. There is going to be a max exodus of players leaving Happy Valley as the kids are all going to be released from scholarship if they chose. No bowl games may not seem like a big deal but you got to consider that no recruit in there right mind is going want to go there unless they have no other options. Lastly, I know it does not seem like alot but losing 20 scholarships is huge. The recruiters for PSU have -0- room for error under these conditions.

Oh come on; they'll be back in a bowl game in 2016. It will be like this never happened. This punishment was more appropriate for what went on at Miami than for what went on at PSU.

im curious about the terms of everything with regards to the fine. pulling 60m unexpectedly seems like it would have to effect someone, athletic or academic. its on first glance odd that the NCAA would be able to stipulate something like this. not to mention that the AD was also intimately involved with this, not just the football program.

I don't share the same curiosity. Probably because I'm certain this entire deal was carefully negotiated between PSU and the NCAA over the last week. My opinion is PSU themselves made the stipulation about other sports programs not being negatively impacted.

There is nothing odd at all about what the NCAA did here even though it's never been done before. This entire case transcended football, sports, college athletics, scholastic interests, and every point where all those factors meet. In the absence of precedence, precedence needs to be set. I'll give PSU and the NCAA credit for at least doing that.

I don't share the same curiosity. Probably because I'm certain this entire deal was carefully negotiated between PSU and the NCAA over the last week. My opinion is PSU themselves made the stipulation about other sports programs not being negatively impacted.

There is nothing odd at all about what the NCAA did here even though it's never been done before. This entire case transcended football, sports, college athletics, scholastic interests, and every point where all those factors meet. In the absence of precedence, precedence needs to be set. I'll give PSU and the NCAA credit for at least doing that.

I didn't take into account that PSU was in on the process, which is likely true.

Remember the kids?

And how about the PSU players, who through no fault of their own, have now had their college careers turned to ash? It seems to me they are the bearing the brunt of the penalty since their time on campus is limited to the here and now--which is a lot more valuable than any rewriting of the record books or having the school pay a hefty fine.

It's like sending everyone in town to jail because the mayor and chief of police commited a crime. The sins of omission by Joe Pa and the administration were unforgivable, but the torch and pitchfork croud's need to find someone to punish--whether they had any culpability, or in this case, even if they didn't--seems out of line, IMO.

Penn state should just kill the program for 10 years. They can only recruit 15 players a year for the next 4 years. What kid wants to go there now? Better yet who wants to go to a home game??

When a college president is afraid for his job because a coach (Paterno) could UN-officially over rule him (he did) something is wrong. Man talk about a fall from grace. The Paterno name will now be forever shamed. Deservedly so.

And how about the PSU players, who through no fault of their own, have now had their college careers turned to ash? It seems to me they are the bearing the brunt of the penalty since their time on campus is limited to the here and now--which is a lot more valuable than any rewriting of the record books or having the school pay a hefty fine.

It's like sending everyone in town to jail because the mayor and chief of police commited a crime. The sins of omission by Joe Pa and the administration were unforgivable, but the torch and pitchfork croud's need to find someone to punish--whether they had any culpability, or in this case, even if they didn't--seems out of line, IMO.

The players are welcome to transfer without penalty. They are not bearing the brunt of anything.

Penn state should just kill the program for 10 years. They can only recruit 15 players a year for the next 4 years. What kid wants to go there now? Better yet who wants to go to a home game??

When a college president is afraid for his job because a coach (Paterno) could UN-officially over rule him (he did) something is wrong. Man talk about a fall from grace. The Paterno name will now be forever shamed. Deservedly so.

I'll be amazed if Beaver Stadium isn't packed with blue-clad fans cheering wildly for their beloved Nittany Lions.

I also look for the school to set yet another record in alumni donations on the heels of the record they set this past year in the wake of the scandal.

Nobody circles the wagons like Penn State football fans.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll be amazed if Beaver Stadium isn't packed with blue-clad fans cheering wildly for their beloved Nittany Lions.

I also look for the school to set yet another record in alumni donations on the heels of the record they set this past year in the wake of the scandal.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll agree, but I think it may be a bit more tempered. I think the freeh report definitely was a nudge back to reality.

I am not a Penn State fan, I am not a Joe Paterno fan. Joe Paterno did not molest any children, Jerry Sandusky did. Joe Paterno was not convicted of a crime! Jerry Sandusky was. This is above and beyond the NCAA's business, Sports. They are not a court of law!

Mr. Paterno was a facilatator of this crime. He stood by and let it happen. No man worth his salt would stand by and let that happen. Maybe you could put yourself in the place of the kids that were raped by mr paternos right hand man and see if you have a different view of the world. Paterno took the easy way out. He should be rotting in a prison cell with luther as his husband right now.

I'll agree, but I think it may be a bit more tempered. I think the freeh report definitely was a nudge back to reality.

I think the Freeh report nudged some fence-sitters to reality as you suggest. But it also further galvanized many. At least that's what I gather from reading some of their fan forums. They sincerely feel that they are being persecuted for the sins of only a few.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not a Penn State fan, I am not a Joe Paterno fan. Joe Paterno did not molest any children, Jerry Sandusky did. Joe Paterno was not convicted of a crime! Jerry Sandusky was. This is above and beyond the NCAA's business, Sports. They are not a court of law!

Agreed. If an employee was doing something illegal where you work, would it be fair to shut the whole place down? No. If your manager knew about the activities but chose to look the other way, would you expect your boss to get fired? Hell yes.

Let the courts punish the guilty, and the NCAA rule on NCAA violations. The courts will bring to justice those that were guilty. Hopefully in time the victims families and of those hurt the most benefit from the courts, and not from some NCAA decision.

Joe paterno would have probably gone to jail for not taking action, but that's a legal issue, and the courts to decide.

Thats just how I feel about the whole thing.

boo hoo, awwwwww... too bad... Now they can focus on studying and getting an education. Not to mention the value in THIS life lesson they are receiving. Maybe they'll be the tip of the sword of change in college athletics. But I'm not holding my breath.

You need a serious perspective change. I challenge you to read your first paragraph again, but this time picture that locker room scene in your mind. Is that your nephew? Son? Neighbor?

Tell me now how much some over appreciated, entitled, (non)student athlete's scholarship really means in the grand scheme of things. Got it? Good.

Now multiply it by the amount of victims and occurrences over the course of Mr. Evil Incarnate's pedophilia career.

Eh, not really. There will still be football. The same students and alumni will pack the stands. Few of these guys were going to the NFL anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Sad but true. These people can't fathom the thought of Penn State without football. It si the only thing that defines that school. Without it, they would be grads of just another big state school.

Perfect penalty in my opinion. Effectively kills the football program for a decade while minimizing the collateral damage to the community (local business) and other school sports programs. And by vacating the wins, Paterno's legacy is demolished in one swift blow.

Agreed. If an employee was doing something illegal where you work, would it be fair to shut the whole place down? No. If your manager knew about the activities but chose to look the other way, would you expect your boss to get fired? Hell yes.

Let the courts punish the guilty, and the NCAA rule on NCAA violations. The courts will bring to justice those that were guilty. Hopefully in time the victims families and of those hurt the most benefit from the courts, and not from some NCAA decision.

Joe paterno would have probably gone to jail for not taking action, but that's a legal issue, and the courts to decide.

Thats just how I feel about the whole thing.

It's bigger than that. They want to crush a culture that gave people the motivation or desire to look the other way. They also want to send a message to all schools to put kids first and report crimes against kids. When you want to put out a fire a lot of stuff gets doused that wasn't burning.

Unrelated thoughts from a small time college football fan:

1) Seems pretty stiff and rightfully so. I would have preferred the Death penalty rather than a four year dragging on penalty.

2) I am always curious about when they take away wins or trophies. What does that actually accomplish/ penalize? I understand Joe Paterno will lose his legacy but.... Any player during those years will remember their records from each year. Whether they were stripped of the wins or not. Any student/fan will always remember their teams from those years.

Also, I would be curious to see if during any of the years wins are being pulled away, if Penn State beat a #1 ranked team, undefeated team or national championship contender. If so, theoretically said team should have been playing for a nationally championship. Does anyone know if they ruined another teams season during this period?

3) Bush decided to forfeit his 2005 Heisman trophy, however, everyone still knows he was the best player in 2005. Hard to just erase trophies and wins.

4) USC had a 2 year bowl ban and lost 20 football scholarships. However, being bowl eligible this year, they are preseason ranked by many around #2 or #3. seems like the lack of bowl games and scholarship losses did far from KILL the program.

*I know 4 years is much worse than a 2 years because you loss a whole class, however, I am just making the point USC has returned as strong as when they got penalized.