Fitz's Health

hamtenp

As I recall, David Nelson let that slip during an interview.

Ayup. And then confirmed (reluctantly) by Fitz, who was plainly unhappy it had come out (I imagine Mr. Nelson got a talkin' to by Fitz 'bout how loose lips sink ships)

And then confirmed by Stevie, who said at its worst Fitz couldn't get through a play in a single breath in the huddle

And then confirmed by Chan, who said he didn't know the full extent of the injury until after the season (this is not as nutz as it might sound since apparently 50% of broken ribs are initially missed on xray) and who pointed to injuries to Jones, Chandler, Stevie, the OL, and then Jackson as strong contributors to the Bills slide.

Of course this is all just a conspiracy to make excuses for Fitz, who is of course merely acting the part of the guy least interested in making excuses for himself

To the OP: dude, I ain't good at this and I get snarkoid "let me Google this for you" responses to my posts sometimes, but a little Google searching led me to the interviews with direct quotes.

Nearly 200 yards of passing a game and 90 percent passing rating/88 percent passing rating/75 percent passing rating

What negative am I supposed to be looking for in these boxcores?

OK.

Fitz threw for 27 or < attempts/game four (4) times last year. Guess how many of those were wins? 4. That's 100 %.

Fitz threw for > 27 attempts/game twelve (yes I checked the math) times last year. Guess how many were wins? 2. That's 16.6 %.

I know stats lie and all that, but those #'s are shocking. :o

Explain that away.

Tidbit, which doesn't really mean anything but interesting. His 25th throw against the Giants sealed the deal via an INT, and basically cost the Bills the game. i think he admitted this himslef after the game. His next 4 passes, he went 1 out of 4.

OK.

Fitz threw for 27 or < attempts/game four (4) times last year. Guess how many of those were wins? 4. That's 100 %.

Fitz threw for > 27 attempts/game twelve (yes I checked the math) times last year. Guess how many were wins? 2. That's 16.6 %.

Explain that away.

Well IMO which is worth whatcha pay for it, it has to do with the Bills playing from behind and Chan getting away from the running game way too far and early. I don't think Fitz is calling his own plays for the most part. JMO.

When people ask this I answer with "Do you really need someone to tell you he was hurt"

- He did not suddenly stop being able to make throws he WAS making

- That looked like a flaq vest under his uniform to me

- The team would not be going out of its way to say he was hurt and not bring in a replacement in year 3 of a rebiudling program if he WASNT hurt....you would see a vet (not like psycho but a REAL vet)

I was watching him after the hit by Fletcher....he was not the same after that.

Nearly 200 yards of passing a game and 90 percent passing rating/88 percent passing rating/75 percent passing rating

What negative am I supposed to be looking for in these boxcores?

What kills me is we sacked 'em like a dozen times, they hit Fitz 1x and effectively ends our season.

HOLY MOATS!

I guess the real question for me would be if Fitzy was hurt, ok I appreciate him trying to play hurt and all and tough it out...But if our 2nd string QB is sooooo bad that he is not a viable option when your team is losing game after game... Why was he our 2nd string QB in the first place??

A question many of us have asked.

It would appear the Bills FO may have the same question, hence, Vince Young.

Thigpen is on camera talking about how competition makes ya better at 1:49 in this clip and to my ears, he is not wearing the "Ring of Sincerity" upon his finger as he doth speak

OK.

Explain that away.

Tidbit, which doesn't really mean anything but interesting. His 25th throw against the Giants sealed the deal via an INT, and basically cost the Bills the game. i think he admitted this himslef after the game. His next 4 passes, he went 1 out of 4.

Let me first say this.....stats are not my forte....I dont do a good job at explaining them.....I will say that up front

But when I look at passing attempts? Teams pass when their start putting up points quickly like they did against the bills....Chan (who I like) frankly gets happy feet when he sees teams start scoring on us quickly and wants to get it back.....instead of slowing the game down and trying to grind out first down.....

Frankly...his offense doesn't parlay to grind it out anyway.....he spreads you out and runs underneath it....in order for that offense to run....you gotta hit a couple of intermediate passes.

Fitz was hurt. Exactly how seriously is hard to know. I can only speculate that however serious the injury, Chan thought a hurt Fitz was better than a healthy Thigpen. That doesn't speak highly of our backup.

Here was how PFT covered the story when it first broke...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/fitzpatrick-johnson-elaborate-on-quarterbacks-rib-injury/

Last month, Bills receiver David Nelson said that quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick cracked ribs against the Redskins.

Coincidentally, the team’s — and Fitzpatrick’s — slide started thereafter. At 5-2 after shutting out the Redskins, the Bills lost seven straight. The quarterback’s passer rating plunged from 116.4 against the Redskins to 51.9, 46.6, and 45.8 in the next three games.

But Fitzpatrick showed up only once all season on the injury report. He was listed as probable with a chest injury for the Week Nine game against the Jets, the first game after the game against the Redskins.

It sounds like it was more than a little worse than that.

“I mean, it’s something I don’t really want to get into much,” Fitzpatrick told the Toronto Sun. “The only thing I’ll say is guys in the NFL play hurt. Every game guys are hurt, especially at the end of the year. And that’s just part of the game, it’s part of the business, and something you have to do.”

Receiver Stevie Johnson was slightly more talkative on the topic.

“I know personally, in the huddle, the worst it got — to my knowledge — is he barely could say a full play under one breath,” Johnson told the Sun.

“It started right at the halfway mark [of the season]. I mean, everybody in the league is injured or is hurt in some way. When it’s your quarterback who’s got to throw, and it’s ribs — I mean, it’s tough. That’s the last thing I heard was it was ribs, or what-not.”

“Ribs” never showed up on the injury report. And if the “ribs” were cracked, it surely wasn’t a one-week situation.

That said, the fact that teams like the Saints (or perhaps a decade ago the Bills) were using cash as the carrot to knock guys out of games, I’ve now got a different attitude about hiding injuries. Yes, it gives rise to inside information that could be exploited by guys with two ears and one eyebrow. But if players are going to be corrupted from within the locker room, it’s no longer quite as important to worry about potential outside influences.

Let me first say this.....stats are not my forte....I dont do a good job at explaining them.....I will say that up front

But when I look at passing attempts? Teams pass when their start putting up points quickly like they did against the bills....Chan (who I like) frankly gets happy feet when he sees teams start scoring on us quickly and wants to get it back.....instead of slowing the game down and trying to grind out first down.....Frankly...his offense doesn't parlay to grind it out anyway.....he spreads you out and runs underneath it....in order for that offense to run....you gotta hit a couple of intermediate passes.

Understood.

Re: attempts, I agree. It's almost seems like Gailey really WANTS to get into a shoot-out and hope for the best, when in reality,

the teams chances seem to me to be a lot better when they don't throw the ball all over the field and run the ball much more.

:unsure:

I know I have heard that Fitz was supposeadly injured last mid season. But do we really know? Or was this a

big coverup by coaches to save face? Does anyone have real proof that he was injured? Because if the injury was that severe,

why did he continue playing till season end? The way I see it, if he was healthy enough to complete the season, the injury

could have not been that significant. And the reason that we were 1 and 8 in the balance of the season is that opposing

teams had figured out our offense, and our coaches did not have the skills and answers to counteract.

Men landed on the moon, or so I've heard.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

maybe not as bad a Romo's but bad enough. especially the Miami game with the horrid center backup that made Fitz reach for every bad snap.

couple that with the loss of 33% of his offensive weapons in losing Fred, having Stevie get benched for half a game ..... etc etc

1342815531[/url]' post='2509389']

I know I have heard that Fitz was supposeadly injured last mid season. But do we really know? Or was this a

big coverup by coaches to save face? Does anyone have real proof that he was injured? Because if the injury was that severe,

why did he continue playing till season end? The way I see it, if he was healthy enough to complete the season, the injury

could have not been that significant. And the reason that we were 1 and 8 in the balance of the season is that opposing

teams had figured out our offense, and our coaches did not have the skills and answers to counteract.

Wow...

I can't wait for the season to start