What's In Those Tax Returns?

Park

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think the IRS went over his returns very closely? If he was cheating don't you think word would have gotten out? His return for 2010 was 3 inches thick. Do you think he should have to defend made up schit by the Ed Schultz's of the world for the next 3 1/2 months? This whole tax return thing is just one more distraction made up by the Chicago gang.

"Chicago gang" is the right's equivalent to the lefts "Karl Rove" boogey man!

If Romney releases his taxes and the Obama campaign audits them and finds out he cheated will he be offered the job of Secretary of the Treasury for backing out of the presidential race?

LOL.

I was just thinking about my posts in this thread, defending a request for tax returns in the belief that honesty and integrity are an essential good to being an elected official in DC...

who the !@#$ am I kidding in the long-run.... LOL

Oh idealist me

I was just thinking about my posts in this thread, defending a request for tax returns in the belief that honesty and integrity are an essential good to being an elected official in DC...

who the !@#$ am I kidding in the long-run.... LOL

Oh idealist me

Nothing wrong with that B

We all want honesty and integrity,

I just want to see the criteria set equally.............................fairness ......

Nothing wrong with that B

We all want honesty and integrity,

I just want to see the criteria set equally.............................fairness ......

What is stopping Romney from asking for the same things from Obama?

Because BO's no where near Romney's income category and wouldnt have used the same tax strategies. Romney loses in the public perception of a tit for tat exchange. This is a juicy win-win issue for Obama - Romney shows more and they create a stir over his effective rate and use of loopholes - or he doesn't and it casts an air of suspicion he's hiding something. They'll milk it for all they can just like repubs would if shoe was on other foot.

What is stopping Romney from asking for the same things from Obama?

While I like the decency answer, the answer is nothing is stopping him.

But IT IS JUST A DISTRACTION, there is no reason to really even respond to the media about it any more.

Yes, but it also a matter of trust, and honesty. As much as elections are about credentials, we have to keep in mind this is about Public Office. You can be the best CEO or economic genius in the world, but you lack values that we hold dear in the country, you will have a heck of time getting into the office. It is important to remember the Government is not a private business, you are held to different expectations of discloure.... you know that is true...

What can be the motivation to not release your financials? Because I don't legally have to? Ok, then you don't have to. But in some voters minds, again, if there something going on? Is Mitt afraid the numbers are too big, and he will be painted as 1% elitist? Is he afraid he will be painted as nothing in common with the rest of America? Those items are all easy to deal with... if he skipping taxes, of being fraudulent? Criminal?

If there was anything *illegal* in his returns, wouldn't we already know it because he'd either be arrested or indicted or under some order to pay back taxes and penalties? I'm not totally sure how this works, but the idea that there is possible fraud in these returns strikes me as not logical. Am I wrong about this?

If there was anything *illegal* in his returns, wouldn't we already know it because he'd either be arrested or indicted or under some order to pay back taxes and penalties? I'm not totally sure how this works, but the idea that there is possible fraud in these returns strikes me as not logical. Am I wrong about this?

No you're not wrong, but that's what "they" would like for you to ponder.

To me, its important for Romney to release his records for the very fact that as president, he will be leading efforts to shape tax policy. Romney is innocent until proven guilty, but I think the public is interested to see if he holds himself to same ethical and legal standards as the people he hopes to represent.

I think it is a reasoanble request.

Doesn't the IRS see his taxes every year? They are the official government arm of confiscation. If the returns are good enough for them.

Edited by Dante

I hear he "has a lot on his plate"

I've repeatedly stated here that Obama reminds me of your most useless employee, and this excuse above from his PS is precisely to my point. The entire world knows the president is doing two things: campaigning and playing golf. And like your most useless employee...particularly the one who fails to understand or appreciate the true value of individual achievement...just "looking busy" is easily equated with "I have a lot on my plate."

Prior to being a manager, people like this in the office used to piss me off, so its no wonder I can't stand watching it in the most powerful seat on the planet.

Exactly. You need to think about something that may or may not exist so things like high unemployment and a stagnant economy don't fog your thinking.

I mean, the strategy works to a degree (mainly with left leaners and left leaning independents), look at B-Large, he's asking this exact same question, hook line and sinker, yet the IRS has already looked into Mitts tax returns, and if there was something nefarious or illegal, it would of been identified.

I mean, the strategy works to a degree (mainly with left leaners and left leaning independents), look at B-Large, he's asking this exact same question, hook line and sinker, yet the IRS has already looked into Mitts tax returns, and if there was something nefarious or illegal, it would of been identified.

I've seen some speculation of the "2009 Swiss Bank amnesty clause" and some on the left are speculating that he might have paid back taxes if he had previously undeclared Swiss bank accounts.