Buffalo vs New England

Actually, I would chalk up last year's win to rattling Brady and that offense.

George Wilson completely laid out Edelman with a hit you could hear and that was the tone of the day. Brady was flustered and threw... was it 4 INTs?

As Kyle Williams said leading up to the game, 'We may win, we may lose, but by the end, they are going to feel and know they just went through Hell.'

That was a defensive victory. Up 'til there, it was always a given that Brady would be throwing for 400 yards and Welker would toast you. Well, as one poster's sig line here reads, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Fitz and the offense was able to capitalize on a horrid Pats* defense, especially their pass D which was last in the league. Looks like they may have reloaded, tho.

The game plan should still be to beat them up, take advantage of their OL losses, get to Brady and shake him up. That's how we won, that's how the Giants beat them in the SB.

Welker did toast us, over 200 yards.

I don't understand how the preseption is that New England reloaded or had a great off season. They still don't have a running back, they brought in some veteran WR on the downside of their careers and how did their secondary get better?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya gotta admit it was damn fun tho. I Couldnt have asked for any better game than either of those 2. It was like the Monday Night Dallas game, except we won.

Agreed. The gf and I pick one game to travel up to a year and last year we picked the home game against the Pats. We thought after the Raider game we had picked the wrong one lol. Turns out it was just as amazing!

Look, the Bills have a tradition of giving up more points than they score. Maybe it's not a proud tradition, but it's a tradition, and one of these days it's going to turn out in their favor. You don't change your horse midstream.

You're out of your element, Donny.

The Bills need to find a way to beat New England at least once in order to have a chance to win the division and make the playoffs.

Last year we played them early in the season and we beat them by simply outscoring them. I think we can do it again.

What do the Bills look like on offense this year vs last year (in other words, are they better or worse on offense this year vs last year?)??

IMHO, the Bills are better.

They've replaced LT Glenn for Bell and they have added WR Hagan/TE Dickerson/WR Graham to the mix.

The team is better prepared to utilize B. Smith in the Wildcat. QB Coach M. Lee will help to add some nice nuances to the Wildcat, which will be an added bonus to the Bills' main offense.

The Bills get Jackson back healthy to start the season (along with Wood and Easley). Spiller has found his mojo. The Bills have one standout WR plus a handful of good ones. New TE Coach P. Metzelaars will help to improve the TEs.

Maybe most importantly, the Bills return most of their starters from last year on offense, which will help them to build confidence in what they're doing.

This is a better equipped offense no doubt. How much better we won't know until the season starts. But it's even better than the one that "out-gunslinged' the Patriots......and that's what matters most.

I certainly believe we got game as long as Fitz doesn't turn it over. I believe that will be the big thing in this game. As long as the Bills protect the Ball, we got a chance now with a Defense that has the potential to cause Chaos...

Look, the Bills have a tradition of giving up more points than they score. Maybe it's not a proud tradition, but it's a tradition, and one of these days it's going to turn out in their favor. You don't change your horse midstream.

You're out of your element, Donny.

The word "uncomprehending" comes to mind.

Old quote but ohhh so true;

If we score 100 points we SHOULD win ... but if they don't score any points they CAN'T win

Sure sounds like something CHIX would say :thumbsup:

Edited by beerme1

The Bills need to find a way to beat New England at least once in order to have a chance to win the division and make the playoffs.

Last year we played them early in the season and we beat them by simply outscoring them. I think we can do it again.

What do the Bills look like on offense this year vs last year (in other words, are they better or worse on offense this year vs last year?)??

IMHO, the Bills are better.

They've replaced LT Glenn for Bell and they have added WR Hagan/TE Dickerson/WR Graham to the mix.

The team is better prepared to utilize B. Smith in the Wildcat. QB Coach M. Lee will help to add some nice nuances to the Wildcat, which will be an added bonus to the Bills' main offense.

The Bills get Jackson back healthy to start the season (along with Wood and Easley). Spiller has found his mojo. The Bills have one standout WR plus a handful of good ones. New TE Coach P. Metzelaars will help to improve the TEs.

Maybe most importantly, the Bills return most of their starters from last year on offense, which will help them to build confidence in what they're doing.

This is a better equipped offense no doubt. How much better we won't know until the season starts. But it's even better than the one that "out-gunslinged' the Patriots......and that's what matters most.

You are being overly optimistic. During the game you described, the Patriots' defense was riddled with injuries; allowing the Bills to score many more points than the quality of Fitz's play deserved. Tom Brady uncharacteristically threw four interceptions. That's as many interceptions in one game as he'd thrown in the entire previous season. An event like that is unlikely to occur again.

Despite the four interceptions, and despite the fact New England's defense was decimated by injuries, the Bills barely won that game.

I'll grant that during this offseason, the Bills closed much of the distance between themselves and the Patriots. But there was a lot more distance which needed closing than that game made it seem.

The Patriots have a very significant advantage over the Bills at the quarterback position. Until that changes, the Patriots are likely to win most of their games against us.

Not meaning to poop on the thought behind this thread, but the Bills play the Pats* in Week 4. I'm a LOT more concerned about the Jets in Week 1. THAT'S the statement game.

If the Bills come out in the Meadowlands (or whatever the hell they call it these days) like...well, the Bills we've watched for the past 10 years, it's going to be a LONG season, and that Pats* matchup is going to have an air of hyperventilating desperation about it.

But if the Bills come out and dismantle - and I mean dismantle - the Jets, the entire paradigm shifts. Their self-confidence shifts, the trust of the coaching staff shifts, the view of the Bills by the TV tongue-waggers shifts, the respect they command within the division shifts, the calculation over a playoff appearance shifts.

I'll worry about the Pats* about 5 minutes after the gun sounds in Cleveland.

I remember before the season opener, almost all of the NFL prognosticators picked the Chiefs to beat the Bills, and what happened, the Bills destroyed the Chiefs in Arrowhead. I could see the Bills doing it again, maybe not such a lopsided score, but a win by 10 points or more.

I always like when we play the patsies at home first as we seem to play them better. We have closed the gap and as our friends have said we decimate the Jets, hopefully take the chiefs who will be better and rebuilding browns, we could be looking at 4-0.

We'll lose some down the stretch, but a good y.ear a coming.

19-0 baby!

The way to beat the Patriots is to keep Brady and Co. off of the field. It just so happens that the Bills have a great running game. Chan has to run the ball, control the clock and keep the Pats offense off of the field. If he tries to outscore NE our chances are not going to be very good because the Pats can score on any D.

The Bills have a chance. I worry with Lloyd added to their team, and a sound defensive draft, they will improve, but they lost o lineman to retirement and I thought they lost another. We all know about the defensive improvements, but the key to us winning is chan has improved our o line enough so these guys hold their blocks for a little longer. We need a vertical threat which opens things up for Fredex.

We come in with that 2-3 second short passing routes crap, they play press and we get killed. I am saying prayers this line becomes awesome and we can Stevie for the 18 yard pass and get some yac. We get a few of these and we win.

Go Bills!

You are being overly optimistic. During the game you described, the Patriots' defense was riddled with injuries; allowing the Bills to score many more points than the quality of Fitz's play deserved. Tom Brady uncharacteristically threw four interceptions. That's as many interceptions in one game as he'd thrown in the entire previous season. An event like that is unlikely to occur again.

Au contraire. Brady threw 4 interceptions because he was under constant pressure, two of his passes were deflected by leaping defenders, and his route was jumped by an alert Wilson on a third.

There is nothing that says we can't pressure Brady into making mistakes this year. In fact our likelihood of doing so has improved considerably.

Welker did toast us, over 200 yards.

I don't understand how the preseption is that New England reloaded or had a great off season. They still don't have a running back, they brought in some veteran WR on the downside of their careers and how did their secondary get better?

I think the perception is they drafted well on defense, including Tavon Wilson (FS) in the 2nd round. Time will tell....

Au contraire. Brady threw 4 interceptions because he was under constant pressure, two of his passes were deflected by leaping defenders, and his route was jumped by an alert Wilson on a third.

There is nothing that says we can't pressure Brady into making mistakes this year. In fact our likelihood of doing so has improved considerably.

I think the perception is they drafted well on defense, including Tavon Wilson (FS) in the 2nd round. Time will tell....

We had this discussion in another thread. It pertained to an article that gave off season grades. A poster with more knowledge of Tavon Wilson described him as a situational player, a hybrid FS/CB. II fail to see how this guy and Will Allen are going to fix the second worst pass D in the NFL.

The Patriot offense is driven by timing, throw off that timing and Brady struggles. The best way to throw off that timing is to punch them in the mouth hard and early.

The Patriots have the bigger problem IMO. They don't have the OL to block our DL man v man. That means one of Brady's toys (Welker, Gronk or Hernandez) is going to need to stay in and help. Honestly, it might take 2 addition guys to block our DL. I'm not talking about blitzes, I'm talking straight up base 4-3 defense. Double teams on Mario, Marcel and Kyle are going to require 6 OL. Good luck blocking the other side.

We had this discussion in another thread. It pertained to an article that gave off season grades. A poster with more knowledge of Tavon Wilson described him as a situational player, a hybrid FS/CB. II fail to see how this guy and Will Allen are going to fix the second worst pass D in the NFL.

It certainly won't bother me if they don't!!!!

The Pats have this reputation for being an unstoppable dynastic juggernaut supported by clever drafting and low-budget FA pickups.

And until they start showing up in the "L" column more frequently, that reputation (deserved or not) will remain.

lets be real here

last years bills played well enough to stay with the cheats in that first game, but more than anything else they won because of luck. dareus has a ball bounce off his face right into florence hendersons breadbasket for a pick six. and fitz gets a mulligan on a horrible decision and even more horrible throw that draws a gift endzone pass interference call on an uncatchable ball nelson never would have got close to. either of those super unlikely things dont happen and the bills dont win

as much as i cant stand marcia, as long as they have him they will be a dominating team. bills will need to be A LOT better if they dont want to rely on more football follies to win games for them

Not meaning to poop on the thought behind this thread, but the Bills play the Pats* in Week 4. I'm a LOT more concerned about the Jets in Week 1. THAT'S the statement game.

If the Bills come out in the Meadowlands (or whatever the hell they call it these days) like...well, the Bills we've watched for the past 10 years, it's going to be a LONG season, and that Pats* matchup is going to have an air of hyperventilating desperation about it.

But if the Bills come out and dismantle - and I mean dismantle - the Jets, the entire paradigm shifts. Their self-confidence shifts, the trust of the coaching staff shifts, the view of the Bills by the TV tongue-waggers shifts, the respect they command within the division shifts, the calculation over a playoff appearance shifts.

I'll worry about the Pats* about 5 minutes after the gun sounds in Cleveland.

I think most people would agree with you and I said it in other post, I think the First game Vs. the Jets is a must win and would jump start the season perfectly.

The Jets have owned the Bills last few years.They might still be looking at us as a sure win.

Remember how important that Jets game was in the Ralph and we got our butts kicked last year? I thought after that game the Bills were not ready yet and it showed the rest of the season.