Niagara Falls N.Y.

Holy Chit..hard to see it like that

Love Canal is like the tip of the iceberg... if you Google it, you will see stories of a spill or the past dumping, but nothing of what is already in the ground.

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, far, far from it, but there is a concerted effort to cover up the continued presence of underground chemicals to include dioxin and carbon tetrachloride.

One of these days, the chemicals will leak (if they have not already) into the ground water and/or the Niagara River, and suddenly people will get sick again like Love Canal and not know why.

Look how close the Niagara Falls Power Plant Extension and Visitors Center is to the Hooker Hyde Park Site full of dioxin, etc.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best attractions of the Falls is the Whirlpool JetBoat ride out of Lewiston.

Have you been down buffalo ave in the heavy industrial areas and the neighborhoods that border it ? It's like another country. It's like flint MI

Yeah it is pretty nasty with a lot of "trash" people, almost scary like

It killed my father, and so your comparison is spot on, even though you were attempting to be humorous.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116451584493114731934.00044764d31ab20bbaf46&ll=43.105244,-79.003029&spn=0.087731,0.180244&z=12&source=embed

That's Niagara Falls, NY in my mind, and it always will be.

And there is my alma mater right in the middle of it Niagara University!

And there is my alma mater right in the middle of it Niagara University!

Yes, and only time will tell what will happen... this is no environmentalist scare or faux science. My father would still be alive today had it not been for this nasty stuff...

One last story, and for this one we travel north along the NYSPA’s intake conduits, toward the reservoir and another invisible waterway, Bloody Run Creek. Until 1992, Bloody Run was an open waterway, used as a sewer by adjacent industries, including Hooker Chemical and Titanium Alloys Manufacturing-National Lead of Ohio. It ran adjacent to the Hyde Park Landfill, made infamous by Hooker, which, over three decades, buried more dioxin-laden chemicals in the landfill than were sprayed in Southeast Asia during all of the Vietnam war.

Dioxin is what led to the burial of Bloody Run Creek. Dioxin, which entered the national vocabulary during the Love Canal crisis in the late 1970s, was the rationale for a remediation of Bloody Run performed in 1992.

Compounds from the landfill and the creek were detected approximately 1,600 feet away in contaminated groundwater seeping from the Niagara River gorge face. The remediation decreased, but did not eliminate, that seepage. And it buried the creek. Now Bloody Run surfaces only once, before disappearing into a culvert that runs beneath Niagara University.

Both the landfill and the creek were surely candidates for cleanups based on their contamination by dioxin and other potent toxic chemicals. But Titanium Alloys Manufacturing-National Lead of Ohio was an atomic contractor, too, just like Electromet, handling and disposing of radioactive materials. It currently operates as Ferro Electronic Materials, directly up gradient from Niagara University.

Between 1978 and 1979, the US Department of Energy commissioned EG&G Energy Measurements Group to conduct an aerial survey to document radiological contamination levels throughout Niagara County. (EG&G is a subsidiary of URS, the engineering firm that is acting as consultant to the NYSPA in its relicensing bid.) The resulting survey maps show a hotspot whose epicenter encompasses Bloody Run Creek. On the survey map, concentric contour lines represent elevated radiation exposure rates. In other words, Bloody Run is home to more than just dioxin.

The EG&G survey disappeared from the US Army Corps of Engineers headquarters website, where it had been hosted, just a couple months ago. It surely was available in 1992, during the cleanup of Bloody Run. That was characterized as a chemical cleanup; as in the case of the proposed Frontier Chemical remediation, perhaps radioactive waste ought to have been considered as well.

Ignoring such a significant and long-lasting part of the region’s atomic industrial history is fraught with consequences, not only for developers, current residents and future generations, but also for students at Niagara University, for example, and for those who continue to work on sites with a history of handling these exotic, hazardous materials. The 2000 Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act was intended to provide medical assistance and financial compensation to the workers and families of workers who became ill as a result of working in places like Electromet and TAM. But that act accomplishes nothing if the history of a site is not fully acknowledged.

This month two workers at Ferro died of cancers that most medical doctors relate directly to exposure to ionizing radiation. Both had been working at the company for more than 30 years and both died before they’d reached 55 years old. That doesn’t mean radiation caused their cancers, but it could have. Their families currently can’t appeal to the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program for this compensation because the program has not determined dose levels that previous workers at TAM-Ferro absorbed. Nor, therefore, can a dose be determined for current workers.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v5n21/notes_from_the_underground

Edited by BmoreBills

It killed my father, and so your comparison is spot on, even though you were attempting to be humorous.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116451584493114731934.00044764d31ab20bbaf46&ll=43.105244,-79.003029&spn=0.087731,0.180244&z=12&source=embed

That's Niagara Falls, NY in my mind, and it always will be.

Actually no attempt at humor there I just felt it was much more fitting.

As part of my undergraduate work at Buff State for social studies education, I had to take a course in the History dept entirely based around writing and researching a topic in local history only. My topic of choice was Love Canal, with a focus on the related media exposure. It absolutely blew my mind, as someone born in 1988, to read everything related to the disaster, as I did days upon days of reading on only background information before delving into everything else. I didn't even have the time to get into some materials that piqued my interest that didn't apply to my paper. It was all just so much to take in, and further pushed my disenfranchisement with government

Actually no attempt at humor there I just felt it was much more fitting.

As part of my undergraduate work at Buff State for social studies education, I had to take a course in the History dept entirely based around writing and researching a topic in local history only. My topic of choice was Love Canal, with a focus on the related media exposure. It absolutely blew my mind, as someone born in 1988, to read everything related to the disaster, as I did days upon days of reading on only background information before delving into everything else. I didn't even have the time to get into some materials that piqued my interest that didn't apply to my paper. It was all just so much to take in, and further pushed my disenfranchisement with government

You were right... more like a hidden Chernobyl, but hey...

Actually, the state of New York is more liable than anyone for this because they allow it to happen through the New York State Power Authority (PASNY). I just wish I had the time and resources to fight it...

My father's case was settled a long, long time ago. He was forced to settle because he was dying. I'm speaking about countless others who don't know why they are sick and what is causing it, and fighting the cover up.

Edited by BmoreBills

My father's case was settled a long, long time ago. He was forced to settle because he was dying. I'm speaking about countless others who don't know why they are sick and what is causing it, and fighting the cover up.

I'm sorry for your loss. It was just a thought. Peace.

we were part of the class action that was settled in the early 80's,..I want to say $2k apiece..and my parents kept that!

It does weigh on my mind growing up in the Falls and specuifically in Love Canal..both parents and now my brother have died of cancer..no other cance in family till we lived there for 20 years

we were part of the class action that was settled in the early 80's,..I want to say $2k apiece..and my parents kept that!

It does weigh on my mind growing up in the Falls and specuifically in Love Canal..both parents and now my brother have died of cancer..no other cance in family till we lived there for 20 years

My father had overwhelming proof the companies knew the toxins were in the ground they were drilling in before they started, and so it was a bit more than $2k, but it enabled my mother to live comfortably for a few years anyways. I never knew what the settlement was, but as long as my mother was taken care of I had no interest.

Same old companies involved... Occidental, Hooker, Bechtel...

When in Lewiston there are many eateries.

The Silo on Water Street landing is very good.

Was featured on Adam Rickman's Man vs. Food

Want wings ? Go to Apple Granny's on Center Street.

Artpark always has an evening concert or other event.

Ice Cream on a hot summer day ? Hibbard's Custard stand is A++.

Definitely go to Fort Niagara.

If in Niagara Falls, find Viola's Sub shop on Military Road.

Everything on the menu is great.

Viola's is especially known for their steak and cheese.

Hibbards is a MUST!

Artpark has cheap concerts on Tues, free on wednesday ... Lewiston has free local bands on other nights.

Forget the Silo, its overpriced for the same grub you can get anywhere else. You pay extra for the view. Hit up any of the other restaurants in Lewiston and you can't go wrong, they all have good food. Except Syro's, I can't vouch for them its the one place there I never got around to eating at in all the years I lived there

Ditto on Silo, though we do like it.

Forget Syro's ... good food, alot of greek but service is AWFUL!!!!!

Brickyard in Lewiston is always hopping.

My favorite pizza/wings in the falls is Vincenzo's, but bring cash and alot of it. A little pricey and he doesn't take plastic, but well worth it.

The U.S. side is closer to the Falls, but the canadian side has better views, but passports are required to cross. If you do cross, hit Clifton Hill area ... trashy and tacky, but fun. Loaded with shops, wax museaums, arcades, restauarnts, attractions.

Cave of the winds takes you to the base of the falls and is totally worth it. Maid of the Mist is a boat ride that takes you to the base of the Horsehoe Falls.

In Lewiston, there is the Whirlpool jet boat, and you will get SOAKED!!

Fort Niagara in Youngstown is great, bring picnic lunch and bathing suits, there is a pool/park there as well.

Lockport has a ride on the Erie Canal. I haven't done it, but my wife has and said it was good.

Lot's of good Italian restaurants in the Falls, best 2 are probably Comos and Fortunas.

In general, there are alot of all day activities, but not much to do for 1/2 hours at night, though downtown has improved and there are more things to do on Falls street (down by the falls). Free outdoor movies on thurs, free concerts on saturdays by the hard rock cafe. Link

There is a small aquarium which is nothing fancy, but is nice.

On Grand Island is a small amusement Park, Martins Fantasy Island.

Hope this helps, feel free to message me ...

Anybody... Say: "Just shut the Falls off." Put a big brickwall over it... Regulate Lake Erie and the river and divert all for hydropower... Basically turning it into the emergency spill way at Hoover Dam.

How pretty cool would that be?... We wouldn'thave to worry about the middle lakes (Michigan, Huron, and Erie) losing too much water and people complaining about the lake elevations going down. Then during high water years, they can run the Falls as a spillway (which it really is).

"River while you are rambling, you can do some work for me."

I jest, I jest... But, of course it can be done... Why waste all that water... ;-) ;-)

Signed,

Your Local Dam Operator

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I`m Baaaack. Had a goodtime. Went all over the place Falls, Lewiston, Ted`s hotdogs,Grand Island, Stadium store at the Ralph. McKinley Mall,a couple Topps stores. Had to bring some Sahlens home. Went to the Yes and Procol Harem concert in Lewiston.Not a big fan of either,but it was something to do. Ate at the Silo,I thought it was pretty decent. Should not have gotten chili sauce on my dog at Teds,couldn`t taste the dog,just the sauce. The N.Y. falls view I thought was pretty good. Although the tourist part does not compare to our neighbors side. Picked up a few Bills Items,drank a few Molsons and got some Hortons donuts. Back on my little 30 acre spot in Clearfield County Pa. Thanks everyone for the info. Had a goodtime. Oh yeah the Fort was cool. But the weather was hot. My poor wife sweated that Fort thing out.

I`m Baaaack. Had a goodtime. Went all over the place Falls, Lewiston, Ted`s hotdogs,Grand Island, Stadium store at the Ralph. McKinley Mall,a couple Topps stores. Had to bring some Sahlens home. Went to the Yes and Procol Harem concert in Lewiston.Not a big fan of either,but it was something to do. Ate at the Silo,I thought it was pretty decent. Should not have gotten chili sauce on my dog at Teds,couldn`t taste the dog,just the sauce. The N.Y. falls view I thought was pretty good. Although the tourist part does not compare to our neighbors side. Picked up a few Bills Items,drank a few Molsons and got some Hortons donuts. Back on my little 30 acre spot in Clearfield County Pa. Thanks everyone for the info. Had a goodtime. Oh yeah the Fort was cool. But the weather was hot. My poor wife sweated that Fort thing out.

Mrs Lew and I were at the YES concert also.

Glad you enjoyed Fort Niagara.

Mrs Lew and I were at the YES concert also.

Glad you enjoyed Fort Niagara.

Yeah ,we would have liked to see one of the other Bands coming up,Heart,Steve Miller,a couple other ones. We went not knowing about the bands at the artpark. Nice little town. We sat on the grass on the side hill by the trees. Funny thing at the main fort we were looking in the rooms on the second floor and there lying on a bed was a big old cat. At first we thought it was stuffed. Would not even move. I let out a couple kitty,kitties, and its tail moved. Thought maybe it was a ghost cat.LOL.

Yeah ,we would have liked to see one of the other Bands coming up,Heart,Steve Miller,a couple other ones. We went not knowing about the bands at the artpark. Nice little town. We sat on the grass on the side hill by the trees. Funny thing at the main fort we were looking in the rooms on the second floor and there lying on a bed was a big old cat. At first we thought it was stuffed. Would not even move. I let out a couple kitty,kitties, and its tail moved. Thought maybe it was a ghost cat.LOL.

You do know the legend of Fort Niagara right? The ghost that comes out at night looking for its head?

Funny story... Went to OFN with my family when our daughter was bout one... We enter the main gate/block house and my 4 year old son races up to the cannon deck... I figured what can he do wrong? Just big old cannons up there... So, I wait a minute to follow... My wife enters the parade ground with my daughter in the stroller... I hear her screach out a blood curdling scream.... I race to her and I look up and my son is walking around the upper ledge of the block house/main gate! I don't think I ever dashed up those stairs so fast! Yikes... Gotta keep an eye on your kidlets!

You do know the legend of Fort Niagara right? The ghost that comes out at night looking for its head?

Funny story... Went to OFN with my family when our daughter was bout one... We enter the main gate/block house and my 4 year old son races up to the cannon deck... I figured what can he do wrong? Just big old cannons up there... So, I wait a minute to follow... My wife enters the parade ground with my daughter in the stroller... I hear her screach out a blood curdling scream.... I race to her and I look up and my son is walking around the upper ledge of the block house/main gate! I don't think I ever dashed up those stairs so fast! Yikes... Gotta keep an eye on your kidlets!

Like father,like son.