Looks like blackout rule won't apply here

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of amazed at all the "pro blackout" people. The entire blackout rule is nothing more than gaining pocket change for the NFLs 1%. We are in 2012 for christsake. Technology abounds except for the NFL blackout rule, unbelievable it really is.

The television deals the NFL signs and then divides up to each team is incredible. For the Bills to use any excuse as leverage to manipulate the fans in being "viable in this area" is horse crap and they have each and everyone of you snowballed. The NFL could have a team play on the moon with no fans and the league wouldn't miss a beat.

Imagine where we would be as fans if the NHL, NBA, MLB all started blacking out their games because of not selling out. NFL = greed and even though i've been a die hard Bills fan since I first saw OJ rip the Raiders on MNF back in the early 70's, i'm done giving others money so they can live large while I struggle to make ends meet. Eff the NFL!

Kind of amazed at all the "pro blackout" people. The entire blackout rule is nothing more than gaining pocket change for the NFLs 1%. We are in 2012 for christsake. Technology abounds except for the NFL blackout rule, unbelievable it really is.

The television deals the NFL signs and then divides up to each team is incredible. For the Bills to use any excuse as leverage to manipulate the fans in being "viable in this area" is horse crap and they have each and everyone of you snowballed. The NFL could have a team play on the moon with no fans and the league wouldn't miss a beat.

Imagine where we would be as fans if the NHL, NBA, MLB all started blacking out their games because of not selling out. NFL = greed and even though i've been a die hard Bills fan since I first saw OJ rip the Raiders on MNF back in the early 70's, i'm done giving others money so they can live large while I struggle to make ends meet. Eff the NFL!

unfortunately for you, i dont think they will miss you on sunday. not trying to be a jerk but the game continues to grow exponentially it seems, and it also seems no one follows through with these eff the nfl sentiments.

I'm fine with the Bills decision. But I do think the blackout area needs to be reduced. It was based on the grade B analog coverage contour of TV stations. Since everything is digital now , that footprint is much smaller now. Syracuse would get games and maybe Rochester.

PTR

Born, raised and still reside in SE PA, but I'm thinking the blackout shouldn't apply to those fans in the Rochester/Syracuse area. Thats a serious hike eight (seven - Canada) times a year.

Edit - Right PTR

Edited by WellDressed

The blackout rules are an antiquated notion. It's easy to say "buy a ticket" but that isn't reality for everyone. When I pay for the Sunday Ticket and live in Chicago, I should be able to see the game no matter what. Unfortunately that is not necessarily the case. If the game is blacked out locally, it's blacked out for me too. Given that total ticket revenue for the NFL represents only about 1% of all revenue, it's myopic to suggest that it should drive the fan base. With average ticket prices of nearly $60, do they really expect a family of four to be fans to attend ONE game and pay $240 + parking + concessions. While I would go to a game if I were in town, I mostly am not. At some point, blacking out games for me living in Chicago when I'm putting $299 up for the ticket is just asinine. I'll just stop buying the ticket, stop buying the merchandise and stop being a fan.

wow I am dumbfounded by how insensitive people are to others plights. While I am glad that some of you have been afforded the luxury of having tickets your entire life, or live close enough that going to games is not that big of a deal, that is not the case for some (most?) Bills fans. I live in auburn ny and am 120 miles from Buffalo, because of a cow pasture I am not allowed to watch the Bills if they are blacked out. Sure I could spend 60 on a ticket and 40 on gas and leave my house at 7 am and get back at 7 pm, but more realistically I'm going to watch a different team or not watch football at all (who are we kidding i'll illegally stream it but my point remains) - non diehards will be pushed away or to a different team. I'll add to the economic situations of many Bills fans don't make it as easy as just go buy a ticket. 85% is a low number but 90-95% or somewhere in there is fine with me.

The last thing I'll add is that a competitive team will more than likely sell out (please don't spew the early 90's - it is a much different era for many reasons). The games that don't sell out are ones that aren't interesting or have no playoff implications. Fans shouldn't be punished for an inferior product they should be rewarded for wanting to still watch.

wow I am dumbfounded by how insensitive people are to others plights. While I am glad that some of you have been afforded the luxury of having tickets your entire life, or live close enough that going to games is not that big of a deal, that is not the case for some (most?) Bills fans. I live in auburn ny and am 120 miles from Buffalo, because of a cow pasture I am not allowed to watch the Bills if they are blacked out. Sure I could spend 60 on a ticket and 40 on gas and leave my house at 7 am and get back at 7 pm, but more realistically I'm going to watch a different team or not watch football at all (who are we kidding i'll illegally stream it but my point remains) - non diehards will be pushed away or to a different team. I'll add to the economic situations of many Bills fans don't make it as easy as just go buy a ticket. 85% is a low number but 90-95% or somewhere in there is fine with me.

The last thing I'll add is that a competitive team will more than likely sell out (please don't spew the early 90's - it is a much different era for many reasons). The games that don't sell out are ones that aren't interesting or have no playoff implications. Fans shouldn't be punished for an inferior product they should be rewarded for wanting to still watch.

Do you really want to watch the Bills in late Decemeber when they have been eliminated from the the playoffs??? There is nothing else you can do on a Sunday? Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Shovel your driveway. I can think of a million other things I would rather do than watch an NFL football game with no hope of the playoffs to follow.

When watching a game on TV... They don't want to see empty seats. Fans are (or should be) very important to how the "whole package" "looks."

Do you really want to watch the Bills in late Decemeber when they have been eliminated from the the playoffs??? There is nothing else you can do on a Sunday? Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Shovel your driveway. I can think of a million other things I would rather do than watch an NFL football game with no hope of the playoffs to follow.

Yes I most definitely do. I watch the preseason when the games are "meaningless." I only get 16 Sundays a year with Bills football and I enjoy each and every one.

The blackout rules are an antiquated notion. It's easy to say "buy a ticket" but that isn't reality for everyone. When I pay for the Sunday Ticket and live in Chicago, I should be able to see the game no matter what. Unfortunately that is not necessarily the case. If the game is blacked out locally, it's blacked out for me too. Given that total ticket revenue for the NFL represents only about 1% of all revenue, it's myopic to suggest that it should drive the fan base. With average ticket prices of nearly $60, do they really expect a family of four to be fans to attend ONE game and pay $240 + parking + concessions. While I would go to a game if I were in town, I mostly am not. At some point, blacking out games for me living in Chicago when I'm putting $299 up for the ticket is just asinine. I'll just stop buying the ticket, stop buying the merchandise and stop being a fan.

I've lived in Chicago for 15 Years and there has never been a local blackout in that time, and tickets range from $100 -$400 a piece so what are you complaining about? If you lived in WNY and pay for Sunday Ticket, then you could argue that the blackout should not be applied to you. The issue is that the NFL should set a universal minimium ticket sale number that is considered a sellout at all stadiums.

i think that the others plight idea is a bit exaggerated in most cases. You want the game, and you want it packaged how you want it at the price you want it at (free). just because someone is used to getting it, doesnt mean its a right either. liking something doesnt equate to deserving for free (you didnt make the argument as strongly as some, but it tip toed in that direction).

I am shocked no consumer advocacy group has challenged this ridiculous rule in court. Once the NFL decided to accept public money for stadiums that taxpayers have to foot the bill for regardless of whether they watch or go to the games, they should be obligated to broadcast the games on TV period. The NFL continues to want its cake and eat it too, and it is high time someone force them to do legally what they should have done a long time ago themselves...I don't know any jury in their right mind that would side with the NFL on that...

I've lived in Chicago for 15 Years and there has never been a local blackout in that time, and tickets range from $100 -$400 a piece so what are you complaining about? If you lived in WNY and pay for Sunday Ticket, then you could argue that the blackout should not be applied to you. The issue is that the NFL should set a universal minimium ticket sale number that is considered a sellout at all stadiums.

One of the biggest cities in the country with one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL...wow what a challenge...

If you live in the blackout area and want to be guaranteed to see the Bills play, go buy a ticket. They're the lowest in the NFL. It's just that simple.

Very short sighted. What about the lifelong Bills fans who are not physically able to attend? What about the 23% unemployed and the "underemployed" who cannot afford the $300 per game? What about creating new young NFL fans for the future? It's clearly not "just that simple".

The NFL is comprised mainly of greedy !@#$s, that much is "just that simple" to be sure. And I agree that legally the NFL is within their rights to charge whatever they like, impose blackouts however they like and so on. But to not let senior citizens (as an example) who have been life long season ticket holders but are now physically unable to go, watch their team play on TV for the sole sake of putting a couple extra dollars in a group of billionaires pockets defines greedy !@#$s and a disturbing lack of a moral compass IMHO.

And make no mistake, blackouts are all about the money, nothing else. If it was about anything else, the other major sports would have similar policies. And they do not.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'm always amazed how folks who rant about freeloaders in society expect Ralph Wilson to give away his product.

PTR

1) the amount of TV revenue dwarfs the amount of money from a sold out stadium.

2) wouldn't the Bills technically be freeloading, taking free tv contract money and taxpayer money and not making it available to everyone who is paying a higher tax bill because of them?

3) Why is the NFL different from any other sport? They aren't.

4) Most people are going to find a way to watch it anyway, so how big of a difference is it going to really make?

Edited by matter2003