Voter ID requirement may affect black voter turnout, Dems Fear

To the end that you actually do it for the first time. So far all you've shown us is a story about Wilola, and let's face it, if a 60-year-old can't get her birth certificate from the state of Georgia after 10 years, then I think we can both agree she probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

So tell us again, for the first time, specifically WHY can't these people meet the minimum requirements? Specifically. Please. You still haven't explained this. C'mon, you can do it.

He's answered the question hundreds of times by his own count. Clearly, you and I just aren't capable of understanding because we are evil, right leaning folk, who something or other tough titty the dregs.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told it's good for 80% of success. Perhaps you and Mr. Allen have a difference of opinion.

But that's not really the point. The point is you've made some pin-headed distillation, a straw man assertion that's categorically false and a million miles from reality. Perhaps nobody ever cued you in on what the rules that already govern our electoral process.

There ya go! Since ol' Woody said it, it must be true. I can make up trite sayings as well: "half of Woody Allen's sayings are 80% crap." You can quote me on that, if you like.

But getting back to the topic, I doubt Woody got to where he is by "just showing up." He had to put in some effort, and in his case, much more than the bare minimum. Even if we were to take that laughable "80%" number (when it really should be something like 20% at best), there's still the other 20% that actually leads to success.

But what defines "success" when voting? Successfully choosing a candidate? Have we set the bar that low that that's considered a "success?"

Anyway, since not everyone is entitled to vote, and everyone is given 1 vote, there need to be safeguards. And since free ID's are provided, there's no impediment to obtaining one except for sheer laziness, i.e. "not showing up."

To the end that you actually do it for the first time. So far all you've shown us is a story about Wilola, and let's face it, if a 60-year-old can't get her birth certificate from the state of Georgia after 10 years, then I think we can both agree she probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

So tell us again, for the first time, specifically WHY can't these people meet the minimum requirements? Specifically. Please. You still haven't explained this. C'mon, you can do it.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006217/why-new-photo-id-laws-mean-some-wont-vote

Now go ahead and bash the source and discredit all their data/evidence.

You guys are like !@#$ing birthers when presented with information your political thick-headedness deems invalid. But have at it anyways, all you partisan looney tunes.

I'll keep waiting for someone to explain why THIS is the way to fix the system.

I've been told it's good for 80% of success. Perhaps you and Mr. Allen have a difference of opinion.

But that's not really the point. The point is you've made some pin-headed distillation, a straw man assertion that's categorically false and a million miles from reality. Perhaps nobody ever cued you in on what the rules that already govern our electoral process.

Isn't Mr. Allen that old dude who had a woody for his de facto stepdaughter and ended up marrying her?

I take most states issues a voter registration card when the person is registered... Only thing that lacks is a picture. They should keep issuing them as usual, but when the person goes to vote the first time... Just take their picture and give them the new updated registration card... Instead of doing it through the DMV... Do it right at the poling place if the voter wants. How simple can that be? Everthing can be digitized and it would really be simple for the computer database to tell if people are getting multiple pitures taken under different names. Any close matches can be verified by the human eye and flagged...

I betcha... Nobody is trying to pull this off outta those 3 million... The real fraud is occurring at the absentee level.

I take most states issues a voter registration card when the person is registered... Only thing that lacks is a picture. They should keep issuing them as usual, but when the person goes to vote the first time... Just take their picture and give them the new updated registration card... Instead of doing it through the DMV... Do it right at the poling place if the voter wants. How simple can that be? Everthing can be digitized and it would really be simple for the computer database to tell if people are getting multiple pitures taken under different names. Any close matches can be verified by the human eye and flagged...

I betcha... Nobody is trying to pull this off outta those 3 million... The real fraud is occurring at the absentee level.

I've voted in 3 states and one foreign country and never had a voter registration card given to me.

I've voted in 3 states and one foreign country and never had a voter registration card given to me.

Really... I am in a Republican county in Illinois (not Cook, duh!) And they are always sending me new registration cards... Polling places constantly change... Wallbash... They send you on a wild goose chase if you don't stay abreast of the changes by not reading where your polling place is on the card.

Th county board of elections can just attach a picture to the registration card... Everybody registers, how hard is it to print a card and a picture? Like I said, here they issue new ones like water when they go through the voter registration rolls

Well, he would vote for the Green Party, but not for Obama and not for Romney, but he isn't not voting for whomever isn't on the ballot because he's a moderate independent except when he's not picking who he said he wouldn't pick before he admitted picking them.

Cuz that's how Big Cat trolls.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Without a doubt, but it was only to counter the libs effort to get those new American names recognized---Fido, Hero, Spot, and Spangles.

And I am a bigot? What is wrong with those fine American names?

Like I said in the other thread folks, be very scared of the intolerant Americans like 3rdnlng... I am the least of your worries, you got me in the bag with going along with all equality!

And I am a bigot? What is wrong with those fine American names?

Like I said in the other thread folks, be very scared of the intolerant Americans like 3rdnlng... I am the least of your worries, you got me in the bag with going along with all equality!

Somehow I can agree that you are on an equal basis with the Fidos of this world, although I see you more of a squatter than a pooch that will sidle up to a fire hydrant. I can picture a Jack Russell running around making a lot of useless noise and then hiding under a table when she hears her echo.

No response to the NPR report? Shocking. :beer:

I see you're about as patient as you are logical.

The NPR article barely supports your position. It simply rattles off the same stats about the number of Americans, not necessarily registered voters mind you, who do not have photo IDs. The only part of the article which lends some credibility to your position that obtaining a photo ID is substantially more difficult than meeting other requirements to vote was the section regarding a the birth certificate/photo ID catch 22. Unfortunately, in lieu of data regarding the number of registered voters lacking a photo ID and a birth certificate NPR provides three anecdotes about how the process can be tedious.

But feel free to pat yourself on the back.

I see you're about as patient as you are logical.

The NPR article barely supports your position. It simply rattles off the same stats about the number of Americans, not necessarily registered voters mind you, who do not have photo IDs. The only part of the article which lends some credibility to your position that obtaining a photo ID is substantially more difficult than meeting other requirements to vote was the section regarding a the birth certificate/photo ID catch 22. Unfortunately, in lieu of data regarding the number of registered voters lacking a photo ID and a birth certificate NPR provides three anecdotes about how the process can be tedious.

But feel free to pat yourself on the back.

So you fully acknowledge then that some people will be unable to obtain ID's.

So you fully acknowledge then that some people will be unable to obtain ID's.

It seems likely that it will among octogenarians or older who were delivered by illiterate midwives in rural areas, some of the time. What am I supposed to take away from that?

It seems more likely that the majority of the 750,000 affected Americans do not fit into the category described above and that for much of them photo ID will come down to a matter of choice and priorities.

Edited by Jauronimo