On My Way Home From the Bank

ajzepp

Today I had one of those weird "coincidences" happen so thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe hear about some of your experiences. I've been waiting for the USPS to send me a reimbursement check to cover some damage they caused to a package of mine. I headed over to take my trash to the compactor, stopped to get my mail, and sure enough there it was. I decided to head over to the bank since I was already out but realized I had no gas. I typically will pay at the pump, but there was a note to go inside to run credit card payments. So into the mart thing I go, and all of a sudden I just felt the urge to pick up a 2-litre of mountain dew. That wouldn't ordinarily be significant, except for the fact that a friend of mine was heading home with some pop she picked up for me earlier. So I picked up the mountain dew, paid for the gas, and then headed to the bank.

To get to there I have to get on and off a small highway, and as I entered the exit ramp I saw a man at the end of it by the light holding up a sign. I tend to see people doing this when I'm in Atlanta, but can't remember ever seeing anyone doing it way up here in the burbs, about 45 mi north of the city. The sign indicated he was homeless and seeking change, which I didn't have (do people still pay with cash anymore?), but I saw the mountain dew sitting on the passengers seat. I pulled up, rolled down the window, and asked if he was thirsty as I handed him the dew. As many of you know, the weather around the country has been uncharacteristically hot, even reaching into the 100s over the last week or so. Today was another hot one for sure. Anyway, the look on this guy's face just said it all. I could be completely wrong, but I just didn't see the face of a drug abuser or someone else trying to find money for a vice. The look in his eyes really seemed to convey his sincerity in just needing a little help, and even though I couldn't provide that monetarily, the gesture was received with significant appreciation on his part.

When I look back on how all these steps in my outing sort of came together like that, it's completely surreal.

Nice story.

I was just at Home Depot a while back. There was a guy in the parking lot with a dead battery and no money... Nobody would help him jump his beat up truck... He did not have jumper cables. I had my wifes's car (without cables)... So I went in to Home Depot and bought a set. I think I made his day after we jumped the truck and I gave him the set of cables.

Some people are just down on their luck and need a helping hand.

Nice story.

I was just at Home Depot a while back. There was a guy in the parking lot with a dead battery and no money... Nobody would help him jump his beat up truck... He did not have jumper cables. I had my wifes's car (without cables)... So I went in to Home Depot and bought a set. I think I made his day after we jumped the truck and I gave him the set of cables.

Some people are just down on their luck and need a helping hand.

Dude, I've been in that position myself so I can definitely assure you that he considered you a godsend. I felt completely helpless at the time, so when someone did for me what you did for this guy, it meant a ton. Very nice touch giving him the cables to take with him.

Dude, I've been in that position myself so I can definitely assure you that he considered you a godsend. I felt completely helpless at the time, so when someone did for me what you did for this guy, it meant a ton. Very nice touch giving him the cables to take with him.

Thanks.

I just cleaned out her car too and had the cables sitting in the garage... I felt bad for him since I usually have a set on me... Nobody else seemed to have a set either... Then as I was walking in, it dawned on me that I was freakin' Home Depot... They have everything to fix things... Why not get him a set... When possible I always like to give items (like the Mt. Dew) than cash... At least you know it is being put to good use... Felt good to give him such a practical gift!

Oh... I always have change in the car... I usually put all my loose change in the ashtray... It is amazing how much piles up in there!

Anyway... You can usually tell when somebody is down on their luck... Like you said, look of desparation sets in.

I'll give money to the panhandlers with obvious disabilities, like the lady in the wheelchair with no feet - somehow I think she's on the level - but the young able-bodied guys aren't getting a dime out of me. I've got too many stories to count.

There was a guy who used to stand on Monument Ave every day with a cane and a sign. One day my friend said something from his car that offended the bums sensibilities so enraged him that he charged the car and smacked it with his cane. Not one to be !@#$ed with, my friend got out and confronted him at which point the bum pulled out his cell phone and threatened to call the cops. Now that the jig was up (cane's a prop, guy has a cell phone) my friend couldn't help but laugh at him and got back in his car. He ran into the bum weeks later at a Subway. After getting his sub he hopped in his Isuzu Trooper and drove off.

Same friend ran into a guy who told him he ran out of gas, yada, yada, yada, and he's trying to get home. My friend gave him $20 bucks only to see him 30 minutes later with a pizza and a 6 pack of Sam Adams. And this was after the first incident. That guy was good.

But my favorite bum story was of a guy with a "Will work for food" sign. A friend of mine and his boss were driving to work and pulled over and said "all right, let's go." "Go where," he asked. "To work." The guy stutters something about how he's waiting for his friend.

I know these are just anecdotes, but now a days you have to be missing a limb or have crazy eyes to get a buck out of me.

I'll give money to the panhandlers with obvious disabilities, like the lady in the wheelchair with no feet - somehow I think she's on the level - but the young able-bodied guys aren't getting a dime out of me. I've got too many stories to count.

There was a guy who used to stand on Monument Ave every day with a cane and a sign. One day my friend said something from his car that offended the bums sensibilities so enraged him that he charged the car and smacked it with his cane. Not one to be !@#$ed with, my friend got out and confronted him at which point the bum pulled out his cell phone and threatened to call the cops. Now that the jig was up (cane's a prop, guy has a cell phone) my friend couldn't help but laugh at him and got back in his car. He ran into the bum weeks later at a Subway. After getting his sub he hopped in his Isuzu Trooper and drove off.

Same friend ran into a guy who told him he ran out of gas, yada, yada, yada, and he's trying to get home. My friend gave him $20 bucks only to see him 30 minutes later with a pizza and a 6 pack of Sam Adams. And this was after the first incident. That guy was good.

But my favorite bum story was of a guy with a "Will work for food" sign. A friend of mine and his boss were driving to work and pulled over and said "all right, let's go." "Go where," he asked. "To work." The guy stutters something about how he's waiting for his friend.

I know these are just anecdotes, but now a days you have to be missing a limb or have crazy eyes to get a buck out of me.

I hate when they approach you from weird angles. This past winter, I am pumping gas and this young kid approached me, not saying nothing... I position myself between the car and the pump and he hits me up for some change... I was taken a back because I wasn't sure what he was up to, so I was thinking 6 steps ahead... I refused him... I was paying at the pump... BUT as he was heading into the station... I gave him a few bucks I had in my car and read him the riot act about not approaching people in a strange way... He was young, probably 16 or so... Probably new at panhandling...

I hate when they approach you from weird angles. This past winter, I am pumping gas and this young kid approached me, not saying nothing... I position myself between the car and the pump and he hits me up for some change... I was taken a back because I wasn't sure what he was up to, so I was thinking 6 steps ahead... I refused him... I was paying at the pump... BUT as he was heading into the station... I gave him a few bucks I had in my car and read him the riot act about not approaching people in a strange way... He was young, probably 16 or so... Probably new at panhandling...

How much, exactly, do you know about panhandling? :D

I'll give you another one to add...

I used to attend school in Syracuse and there was a bum at this particular intersection every day when I drove by. It was a busy intersection with a stoplight so you were forced to sit next to this guy. He had a sign about being a vietnam war vet and that he needed help. I also don't like giving money so I decided to make a care package. I put some fruit, fruit cups, juice, and hygiene supplies (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc..) in a bag to give him. I figured it was a kind gesture and was worth more than I would have given him in money anyway (I got most of it for free).

So I pulled up to him and held the bag out of the window and said here you go buddy hope it helps.

His response? WTF is this?! I need money not this Sh*t!

I was shocked but still being cordial said I don't have any money to give you but this is some things I thought would help.

He replied I'm out here to make money not get free handouts!

I wanted to laugh at his ridiculousness but instead opened the door and set it down and told him do with it what he pleased.

I don't know if he took the stuff or not - Hell if he wanted money he could have probably sold it, but I was trying to do the right thing and got burned for it. So I generally don't do things like that anymore. I will give some money to people extremely down on their luck (by my judgement which I'm sure isn't perfect) because, as selfish as this sounds, it makes me feel good.

On a side note, I almost always tip street musicians. There is a particular guy that plays outside of the carrier dome rain, snow, or sun, he is always there. I respect his game even if he does remind me of this guy (I think he only knows a few chords cause its generally what I hear :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfzDUpB88x4&feature=related

The sign indicated he was homeless and seeking change, which I didn't have (do people still pay with cash anymore?), but I saw the mountain dew sitting on the passengers seat. I pulled up, rolled down the window, and asked if he was thirsty as I handed him the dew. As many of you know, the weather around the country has been uncharacteristically hot, even reaching into the 100s over the last week or so. Today was another hot one for sure.

Ok, so you're trying to kill the guy? You said it's really really hot... And you give him caffeine pop/soda so he can dehydrate himself even more. Good plan. :wallbash::devil:

Ok, so you're trying to kill the guy? You said it's really really hot... And you give him caffeine pop/soda so he can dehydrate himself even more. Good plan. :wallbash::devil:

0:)

0:)

Cmon AJ, that be like giving him a Big Mac if he was hungry! OT, but damn that Throwback Dew is some some good chit! Amazing how many sodas, especially high end, are going the sugar route again..and the chit does taste better that HFCS. My friggen wife will now only drink Fever Tree Tonic with her Hendricks cause it is real sugar.

Also, best scam I ever fell for was in Manhattan..bout 9.30 pm right inside Grand Central..very well dressed professional man , (suit was at least $300) came up as i was having a drink in the Oyster Bar ,and looking very embarrassed asked for twenty to get train home..sheepishly said he went to Hapy Hour, got a bit lit, ended up with a hooker who rolled him...did not want to tell his wife wallet was gone till he got home. Felt bad for the guy..so gave him the twenty.

30 minutes later saw him giving the same spiel to another dolt just like me who was just about ready to fork over the cash. bet the guy made at least $200 a night doing this.

Btw AJ and EII..god job

Edited by plenzmd1

Cmon AJ, that be like giving him a Big Mac if he was hungry! OT, but damn that Throwback Dew is some some good chit! Amazing how many sodas, especially high end, are going the sugar route again..and the chit does taste better that HFCS. My friggen wife will now only drink Fever Tree Tonic with her Hendricks cause it is real sugar.

Also, best scam I ever fell for was in Manhattan..bout 9.30 pm right inside Grand Central..very well dressed professional man , (suit was at least $300) came up as i was having a drink in the Oyster Bar ,and looking very embarrassed asked for twenty to get train home..sheepishly said he went to Hapy Hour, got a bit lit, ended up with a hooker who rolled him...did not want to tell his wife wallet was gone till he got home. Felt bad for the guy..so gave him the twenty.

30 minutes later saw him giving the same spiel to another dolt just like me who was just about ready to fork over the cash. bet the guy made at least $200 a night doing this.

Btw AJ and EII..god job

lol, I know, shame on me :)

People have some major balls...it never ceases to amaze me how successfully and easily people are able to lie. Reminds me of a book I read a while back...i think it was called The Truth Machine. It was a sci-fi read about what society would look like if everyone were forced to submit to lie detectors, even with just trivial matters. It was very interesting!

I hear a lot of these types of stories (getting fleeced by someone who isn't actually homeless) which is why I never give people cash. I interact with the homeless more than the average person does, so it's easier for me to spot fakes, but I still get fooled once in a while. Can't be too careful with all the box-centric performance artists out there.

Bravo...way to contribute to the ever growing obesity problem in this country...you go and flaunt what others in this great country of ours are trying to correct...oversized sugary drinks... :devil:

Today I had one of those weird "coincidences" happen so thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe hear about some of your experiences. I've been waiting for the USPS to send me a reimbursement check to cover some damage they caused to a package of mine. I headed over to take my trash to the compactor, stopped to get my mail, and sure enough there it was. I decided to head over to the bank since I was already out but realized I had no gas. I typically will pay at the pump, but there was a note to go inside to run credit card payments. So into the mart thing I go, and all of a sudden I just felt the urge to pick up a 2-litre of mountain dew. That wouldn't ordinarily be significant, except for the fact that a friend of mine was heading home with some pop she picked up for me earlier. So I picked up the mountain dew, paid for the gas, and then headed to the bank.

To get to there I have to get on and off a small highway, and as I entered the exit ramp I saw a man at the end of it by the light holding up a sign. I tend to see people doing this when I'm in Atlanta, but can't remember ever seeing anyone doing it way up here in the burbs, about 45 mi north of the city. The sign indicated he was homeless and seeking change, which I didn't have (do people still pay with cash anymore?), but I saw the mountain dew sitting on the passengers seat. I pulled up, rolled down the window, and asked if he was thirsty as I handed him the dew. As many of you know, the weather around the country has been uncharacteristically hot, even reaching into the 100s over the last week or so. Today was another hot one for sure. Anyway, the look on this guy's face just said it all. I could be completely wrong, but I just didn't see the face of a drug abuser or someone else trying to find money for a vice. The look in his eyes really seemed to convey his sincerity in just needing a little help, and even though I couldn't provide that monetarily, the gesture was received with significant appreciation on his part.

When I look back on how all these steps in my outing sort of came together like that, it's completely surreal.

dammn, twice today, i get beaten to the punch... :doh:

I have zero tolerance for bums and panhandlers. They dont get a dime. Makes me happy when the cops down here rough them up.

Theres a bum with a dog by a wal-mart here. Multiple times i've seen people come out of the store with food/treats for the dog and nothing for the bum. That restores some faith in humanity.

when i first moved to richmond, i worked for the richmond times dispatch. on several occasions when I was met with median pan handlers, i would hand them the classified section...no one was ever rude to me, but i am sure once i was out of earshot they bitched up a storm to themselves... :devil:

I too never give money to panhandlers. I do however always offer to walk with them to the closest sandwich shop etc. and buy them a meal. I haven't been taken up on that offer yet. If you give them cash it's a near certainty that the local liquor store will have that money by days end.

I too never give money to panhandlers. I do however always offer to walk with them to the closest sandwich shop etc. and buy them a meal. I haven't been taken up on that offer yet. If you give them cash it's a near certainty that the local liquor store will have that money by days end.

And BTW, nothing wrong with getting the dude a 40 either...sometimes we all just need a beer..and I mean the sincerely