The Bills Mount Rushmore

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw an article on another team on another website and it got me to thinking, if you had to choose 4 players in Bills history to be on their version of Mount Rushmore, who would it be? For me it would be:

Jim Kelly

O.J. Simpson (regardless of what has happened since, he is one of the top 2 or 3 Bills ever)

Bruce Smith

The 4th one was the toughest, but I will go with Thurman Thomas since he has an NFL MVP award to his credit.

Saban

Kemp

OJ

Bruce

The closest thing would be a combo clone of Barry and Emmitt Smith maybe.

Juice said that he emulated Hall of Fame Niner RB Hugh McIlhenny… and indeed he runs like him. He also runs a bit like Lenny Moore of the Colts.

Of more contemporary guys, because of Juice's length, smoothness, and speed, I'd have to say a combo of Marcus Allen and Eric Dickerson.

Just my 2 cents but I think Thurman Thomas was more important than Reed.

Most people would agree with you.

The fans

Eddie A

Lou

Marv

Saban

Kemp

OJ

Bruce

Glad to see a few votes for Lou Saban.

If you think about Mt Rushmore, you almost have to look at coaches, GMs and owners as they are more analogous to the founding fathers than are players. And Lou Saban had an excellent visage for being sculpted on the side of a mountain. Ralph of course would have to go there. Maybe Polian and Levy to round out the four.

As for players, Kelly, Bruce… Juice… and Thurman with all the players wearing their helmets except for Thurman.

This is tough - the 4 best not in any order

OJ Simpson - HOF 3 of the best season ever in the history of the NFL

Jim Kelly - HOF .635 winning %, 4 super bowls top 20 yds and td passes

Bruce Smith - HOF Most sacks, most seasons of 10 sacks or more

Thurman Thomas - HOF 9th in yards from scrimmage in the history of the game - could argue he is the best Bill ever

most important to the Bills though

Marv Levy - HOF forget his stint as GM, as head coach the guy was tremendous

Lou Saban - 68-45 record and back to back titles

Fred Smerlas - from 1979-1989 the bills went 76-92 Fred made 5 pro bowls during that span

Andre Reed - one of the best in the league during his career

Darryl Talley - the glue of the 90's teams

George Saimes - never saw him play but he's on the all time AFL team must have been pretty good

Tom Sestak - never saw him play but he's on the all time AFL team must have been pretty good

Bill Polian - early round drafting was difficult for him but he found great late rounders and pulled the trigger on Bennett

Edited by CardinalScotts

I gotta go with Jack Kemp as one of the four. I watched the early bills and loved all of them, but Kemp was clearly the guy who took them to and won league championships. From Wikipedia:

"Kemp led Buffalo to four straight years in the AFL playoffs, three consecutive Eastern Division titles and two straight AFL Championships.[9] He led the league in career passes attempted, completions, and yards gained passing.[33] He played in five of the AFL's 10 Championship Games, and holds the same career records (passing attempts, completions, and yardage) for championships. He is second in many other championship game categories, including career and single-game passer rating.[33] A Sporting News All-League selection at quarterback in 1960 and 1965, and the AFL MVP in 1965. He was the only AFL quarterback to be listed as a starter all 10 years of the league's existence and one of only 20 players to serve all 10 of those years. His number 15 was retired by the Bills in 1984".[6

Saw an article on another team on another website and it got me to thinking, if you had to choose 4 players in Bills history to be on their version of Mount Rushmore, who would it be? For me it would be:

Jim Kelly

O.J. Simpson (regardless of what has happened since, he is one of the top 2 or 3 Bills ever)

Bruce Smith

The 4th one was the toughest, but I will go with Thurman Thomas since he has an NFL MVP award to his credit.

It would have to be the 1990 to 1994 Bills team as a whole. That team gave an identity to a franchise that had nothing going right since its AFL days and then has settled back to the same mediocrity after those guys left. Imagine how this team would be perceived if those guys hadn't given us those glory years instead of the gory years that their predecessors gave and their successors are continuing to dish out.

Jim Kelly

Bruce Smith

There was supposed to be a 5th president but the rock split so they didn't put one up. Then the 5th Bill for me would be Ted Washington. Even though he didn't play his whole career here he played his best years here and played close to 20 yrs and is the greatest Nose Tackle of all time and should be in the HOF.

Players only would be:

Kelly

Bruce

OJ

Thurman

if were considering everyone involved:

Ralph

Kelly

Russert

OJ

Marrio Williams, Fred Jackson, Fitz, Tank Carder 0:)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian