S. Merriman..................the BEAST is back!!

Wow, ok I missed al that. My apologies.

Still will have to see Merriman be anything near what he was to be convinced he can produce though... he WAS released by SD and his 2 years thus far in Blo have been underwhelming to say the least. but lets hope for the best.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am excited about the pass rush he can bring, I cant see him having full first step back this soon after the surgery he had. Usually takes 2 years to be 100 percent way where after that surgery. He still can be affective I believe, but think will need another year to be back to player he was.

Not sure how affective he will be in run defense if they try and use him as every down player, but with how pass happy league is now, shouldn't be a huge issue.

Since they are asking line to attack rather than 2 gap, he should be a good fit overall.

i absolutely agree that a healthy shawne merriman is an extreme positive in several ways. and all of those ways take this defense from "what if?" to "holy $%!!". but i think that his biggest impact could be attacking from the edge as a de. stand up or hand in the dirt doesn't matter, i just don't want him to even consider covering anyone at anytime. seek and destroy should be the only game he is playing on sundays.

Agree 1,000 percent. Merriman's duties should consist of two things. 1) rushing the passser and 2) crushing the passer. IF he can still do either of those two, he may yet salvage his career.

Edited by #34fan

The ones living in a dream world are those espousing Merriman as a once again great player. He might become that again, but he could not be further from being anything related to a sure thing. He is in massive prove it mode. I hope he does but very much doubt it.

While I am excited about the pass rush he can bring, I cant see him having full first step back this soon after the surgery he had. Usually takes 2 years to be 100 percent way where after that surgery. He still can be affective I believe, but think will need another year to be back to player he was.

Not sure how affective he will be in run defense if they try and use him as every down player, but with how pass happy league is now, shouldn't be a huge issue.

Since they are asking line to attack rather than 2 gap, he should be a good fit overall.

Actually, the type of surgery is a new procedure that is similar to the one that Kyle Williams had and the expected recovery time is 6 months!

Given his galactic level of performance by him in first few years performance in the NFL, 75% of that level of performance would be more than welcomed by the Bills.

Clearly he should not be used so much he presents an untoward risk of reinjury.

However, my guess is that what the Bills will want out of him is to get only a couple of outstanding plays from him which he may well be able to do at a 75% level (if the limitation is one where he can only play 75% of the time but even in short bursts he can remind of old Merrimen). However if him losing 25% of his old capabilities means he could play a full season but only at 75% speed then he is not worthwhile (though still might be better than what we got.

If Merriman's primary value is that the opposing OC nust plan for each play as though this may be play he resumes his career. If so. it simply gives more one on one to one to work with.

all reports so far have been positive (not that kind of positive, the good ones).

If he can join the rotation of pass rushers its just more problems for O coordinators. All of our ends use some different styles of getting after the ball and its going to drive tackles nuts. Also if he can play, and i think he will, everyone can stay fresh and reduce chance of fatigue injuries with out a drop off in intensity.

The year of The Bill is upon us. and there was much rejoicing..

if this guy is anywhere near back to form and can stay on the field, he will provide so much more than pass rush. he is a person that will be trying to pump up every one of his teammates to get them to play at another level, as well as pumping the crowd up so high that if "the ralph" had a roof, it would surely blow off!

I hate reading posts like this. Ignorant. You do realize that Merriman had 12.5 sacks the year after being busted.

Maybe you are the Pat Moran of TBD?

I'm kinda reminded of a parrot.

*squawk* Merriman on PEDs *squawk* Merriman is done *squawk*

*squawk* Fitzy quit once he got paid *squawk* which week will VY start *squawk*

*squawk* Not impressed with Gailey hire *squawk*

*squawk* Kelsay loser *squawk* Kelsay sucks *squawk*

He makes some decent points now and again but it's kinda hard to get past the reiterative squawking of the same tired 3-4 1-line squawks on the same theme

Didn't he injure himself jumping around on the sidelines last year?

:unsure:

*squawk* Not impressed with Gailey hire *squawk* *squawk* Kelsay loser *squawk* Kelsay sucks *squawk*

He makes some decent points now and again but it's kinda hard to get past the reiterative squawking of the same tired 3-4 1-line squawks on the same theme

If Gailey can't get this offense going after the collapse last season, he's going to be in real trouble. Particulary with

Wanny and the D coming on like I expect them to.

Just saying.

We all know by now that Shawne Merriman was once a Pro Bowl OLB (in a 3-4 alignment for the SD Chargers). Coach Gailey said back In Feb. 2012 that he would prefer Merriman to just play DE and basically be a designated pass rusher. That's mostly because Gailey was just glad to get anything from Merriman at that point in time, considering his recent injury history.

But what's really got me excited is that Merriman seems to be in great shape....completely healthy.......and that could mean that he could give the Bills more than a part time role as a designated pass rusher. He could actually push for a starting position as an OLB in the Bills' new 4-3 defense. That, my friends, is big, big news!!!!! Really big news!!

You add a proven Pro Bowl talent like Merriman (who has slimmed down) to this new defense on a full time basis (or at least close to a full time basis) and now you really have something. Sure, we could see K. Morrison still play quite a bit at OLB because he's no slouch..............he is a proven veteran tackler, both as a MLB and an OLB with the Raiders. He's just not S. Merriman, who is an absolute beast when fully healthy and highly motivated. Merriman is also a great leader who can really impose his will on the opposing team. He's a guy who his teammates will follow and respect because they know what he is capable of. If he can play full time for the Bills (or close to it) the sky's the limit for the Bills' defense in 2012/2013.

Potential Starting Bills Defense (w/ Merriman at OLB):

D-Line: Mario Williams/Kyle Williams/Marcel Dareus/Mark Anderson

LBs: Nick Barnett/Kelvin Sheppard/Shawne Merriman

Secondary: Stephon Gilmore/George Wilson/Jarius Byrd/Aaron Williams.

There are SIX strong leaders in that group including: M. Williams, K. Williams, M. Dareus, N. Barnett, S. Merriman, and G. Wilson. EIGHT potential Pro Bowl players.

Being able to put Merriman on the field full time makes everybody better, gives us another strong leader, yet another great pass rusher, and a guy who knows how to win. He's a guy that the other players (like Sheppard) will look to for guidance. He will raise the level of play of this defense because of his intensity alone.

Good stuff here, COC. Well put. I do believe you just named our starting D. Of those 6 strong leaders, I think Wilson in my opinion, is the leader of the leaders. Besides, he's a great personal interest story. Go George! Go Bills!!

When did he go off the PEDs? Was it after his one and only positive test in the summer of 2006?

How long did it take for the negative impact of being off the PEDs to manifest? Was it after his ALL Pro seasons in 2006 and 2007?

Has a player that's never used PEDs EVER suffered a torn knee ligament?

Has a player that's never used PEDs EVER suffered a strained ligament by trying to come back too fast from his knee injury?

Has a player that never used PEDs EVER postponed having corrective surgery because they felt that another rehabilitative approach suggested by his doctors might be worth trying?

GO BILLS!!!

Way to go K-9. And way to go after it. It's amazing what a few posters put on the board, isn't it?

I hope that the surgery brought back Merriman to at least 70% of what he was.

Because our LB corps stinks. Lets not fool ourselves. They are awful----unless

of course merriman is back or one of the rookies surprises.

Nick Barnett seems good. :unsure:

Barnett is a quality NFL LB in anyone's book, and we would have been 45th in a 32-team league without him last year.

Of course, you must have much better credentials and be in a much better position to evaluate NFL talent than Barnett, Wannstache, or Chix since they all seem to think Shep will be good, potentially on an upward trajectory to great. Mind sharing what these credentials might be?

Morrison can play in the NFL, it remains to be seen if he can play outside in a 4-3. Scott is decent.

There is no reason to believe Merriman would be better as an OLB in a 4-3. His skills are better suited to playing end in a 4-3, which is of course why Gailey has him penciled in as playing there.

He should NOT be dropping back into coverage.

Somehow "stinks" and "awful" seems a little over the top to describe Barnett-Sheppard-Morrison playing behind the DL we will have. Why not wait until a few snaps and see how they shake down?

Edited by Hopeful

Nick Barnett seems good. :unsure:

True. I'm looking for Kelvin Shepherd to improve big this year.

*squawk* Not impressed with Gailey hire *squawk*

*squawk* Kelsay loser *squawk* Kelsay sucks *squawk*

Great post. LOL.

1 legit starter(and not a great one) on a 3-4 adds up to getting

blown out by a lot of bad teams last yr.

at least we are going to a 4-3--minimize the damage.

Oh, now I get it. Your credentials are that you saw bad LB play on a 3-4 out of Kelsay-Shep-Barnett-Johnson, therefore you feel Shep and Barnett must stink and since Morrison didn't play much on 3-4 behind them he must stink too.

Stink by inference. Very persuasive.

Didn't he injure himself jumping around on the sidelines last year?

:unsure:

If you mean Merriman, that would be a "no". He injured his shoulder against KC, tried to tough it out the following week, and did something that aggrevated it before a game.

If Gailey can't get this offense going after the collapse last season, he's going to be in real trouble. Particulary with

Wanny and the D coming on like I expect them to.

Just saying.

I hear you, and I agree. Gailey does have something to prove, specifically that he's able to adapt his scheme to take advantage of two starting-quality RB and to adjust mid-season after teams get film on us.

There's a significant difference between my saying that, and you pointing out that if the D is good, the O must show something, vs. a parrot-like squawking that reiterates same-ol same-ol with no facts or valid points.