S. Merriman..................the BEAST is back!!

We all know by now that Shawne Merriman was once a Pro Bowl OLB (in a 3-4 alignment for the SD Chargers). Coach Gailey said back In Feb. 2012 that he would prefer Merriman to just play DE and basically be a designated pass rusher. That's mostly because Gailey was just glad to get anything from Merriman at that point in time, considering his recent injury history.

But what's really got me excited is that Merriman seems to be in great shape....completely healthy.......and that could mean that he could give the Bills more than a part time role as a designated pass rusher. He could actually push for a starting position as an OLB in the Bills' new 4-3 defense. That, my friends, is big, big news!!!!! Really big news!!

You add a proven Pro Bowl talent like Merriman (who has slimmed down) to this new defense on a full time basis (or at least close to a full time basis) and now you really have something. Sure, we could see K. Morrison still play quite a bit at OLB because he's no slouch..............he is a proven veteran tackler, both as a MLB and an OLB with the Raiders. He's just not S. Merriman, who is an absolute beast when fully healthy and highly motivated. Merriman is also a great leader who can really impose his will on the opposing team. He's a guy who his teammates will follow and respect because they know what he is capable of. If he can play full time for the Bills (or close to it) the sky's the limit for the Bills' defense in 2012/2013.

Potential Starting Bills Defense (w/ Merriman at OLB):

D-Line: Mario Williams/Kyle Williams/Marcel Dareus/Mark Anderson

LBs: Nick Barnett/Kelvin Sheppard/Shawne Merriman

Secondary: Stephon Gilmore/George Wilson/Jarius Byrd/Aaron Williams.

There are SIX strong leaders in that group including: M. Williams, K. Williams, M. Dareus, N. Barnett, S. Merriman, and G. Wilson. EIGHT potential Pro Bowl players.

Being able to put Merriman on the field full time makes everybody better, gives us another strong leader, yet another great pass rusher, and a guy who knows how to win. He's a guy that the other players (like Sheppard) will look to for guidance. He will raise the level of play of this defense because of his intensity alone.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i absolutely agree that a healthy shawne merriman is an extreme positive in several ways. and all of those ways take this defense from "what if?" to "holy $%!!". but i think that his biggest impact could be attacking from the edge as a de. stand up or hand in the dirt doesn't matter, i just don't want him to even consider covering anyone at anytime. seek and destroy should be the only game he is playing on sundays.

Edited by swnybillsfan

you mean he found a performance enhancer they aren't testing for as yet? Otherwise, it is STILL over for meriman, he is the Jose Canseco of te NFL. Without steroids, he just aint that good.

I agree with this, wholeheartedly:

S. Merriman, who is an absolute beast when fully healthy and highly motivated. Merriman is also a great leader who can really impose his will on the opposing team. He's a guy who his teammates will follow and respect because they know what he is capable of.

Even though he was playing a part-time role, the change in our defense was quite noticeable when he went down. The entire unit was no where near as intense. They looked and played slower and tentatively.

I also want us to get the best talent out on the field where ever and however possible.

HOWEVER...

Putting Merriman at OLB in a 43 would be a major mistake. He would get killed in coverage, and since 43OLBs dont rush the passer, you are taking away his main (only) strength.

I too hope that Merriman comes back strong as a regular contributor, but it will be at the DE position where he doesnt have to worry about anything but what he does best... Get in the backfield and cause chaos. :thumbsup:

you mean he found a performance enhancer they aren't testing for as yet? Otherwise, it is STILL over for meriman, he is the Jose Canseco of te NFL. Without steroids, he just aint that good.

I hate reading posts like this. Ignorant. You do realize that Merriman had 12.5 sacks the year after being busted.

Maybe you are the Pat Moran of TBD?

Edited by It's in My Blood

When did he go off the PEDs? Was it after his one and only positive test in the summer of 2006?

How long did it take for the negative impact of being off the PEDs to manifest? Was it after his ALL Pro seasons in 2006 and 2007?

Has a player that's never used PEDs EVER suffered a torn knee ligament?

Has a player that's never used PEDs EVER suffered a strained ligament by trying to come back too fast from his knee injury?

Has a player that never used PEDs EVER postponed having corrective surgery because they felt that another rehabilitative approach suggested by his doctors might be worth trying?

GO BILLS!!!

When did he go off the PEDs? Was it after his one and only positive test in the summer of 2006?

How long did it take for the negative impact of being off the PEDs to manifest? Was it after his ALL Pro seasons in 2006 and 2007?

Has a player that's never used PEDs EVER suffered a torn knee ligament?

Has a player that's never used PEDs EVER suffered a strained ligament by trying to come back too fast from his knee injury?

Has a player that never used PEDs EVER postponed having corrective surgery because they felt that another rehabilitative approach suggested by his doctors might be worth trying?

GO BILLS!!!

+1 ... It's the ignorant aholes that just spew crap just to make themselves be seen on here.

I get super excited thinking about Merriman being back healthy, too! I also have worried about the Performance Enhancing Drugs and whether or not he can stay healthy without them - but, as a fan, I just hope it has all been purely bad luck with the injuries, and that he can still have 3-5 years of productive NFL football in him.

I just look at this defense on paper and see the potential for every one of the starting D-linemen (Williams, Dareus, Williams, and Anderson) to have ProBowl worthy seasons, statistically, and our secondary, starting Williams, Gilmore, Byrd, and Wilson - are also all capable of having ProBowl seasons, individually! It is crazy how much talent the Bills have, now, at those positions.

The linebackers are the only place the Bills look average. And, Barnett didn't play average last year. He played pretty good. Kirk Morrison has also played much better than average as a 4-3 linebacker. Our coaches believe Sheppard can be an excellent middle linebacker, and I personally love the potential of Bradham and Carder. This group is just full of POTENTIAL - we're hoping we see some stars rise out of the group - and frankly, as a 4-3 defense, this is the least critical group.

Now, IF we could add a guy like Merriman, a healthy, back-to-form Merriman to the mix at DE/OLB, it puts a player in the fold who has played at the upper most echelon of talent level in the NFL. I personally don't think he should be put in a position to have to cover TE's or slot recievers/running backs, I also think he has to be able to do so on occasion, otherwise his placement on the field would be less effective. No matter - I just think having him healthy would allow Wannstedt to come up with plays where the best 11 guys on the defense might be 5 linemen, two linebackers, and 4 secondary - creative stuff that would simply overload any offensive line. Merriman gives us that extra pass rush talent that would just, quite simply, overload any offensive line. Mario Williams, Dareus, K.Williams, Anderson, and Merriman are unblockable as a group.

I've been a Bills fan for more than 20 years, and I don't ever recall a defense that has lined up, potentially, 4 or 5 probowl talents on the D-line alone! The Giants of the recent superbowls had DE's that were a nightmare, and the Vikings of recent defensive dominance were 3 deep in Allen, Williams, and Williams. We are adding two more elite level talents on to that! I just can't wait to see them actually play.

I agree with this, wholeheartedly:

Even though he was playing a part-time role, the change in our defense was quite noticeable when he went down. The entire unit was no where near as intense. They looked and played slower and tentatively.

I also want us to get the best talent out on the field where ever and however possible.

HOWEVER...

Putting Merriman at OLB in a 43 would be a major mistake. He would get killed in coverage, and since 43OLBs dont rush the passer, you are taking away his main (only) strength.

I too hope that Merriman comes back strong as a regular contributor, but it will be at the DE position where he doesnt have to worry about anything but what he does best... Get in the backfield and cause chaos. :thumbsup:

Holy schnikies batman. I couldn't beleive what I was reading at first. I knew better. I really really knew better then to think you supported this.

But, you are seeing what the OP is failing to see. The roles are completely different. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing him at ILB on a 4-3 in an obvious passing down when a team has no threats to go in the middle. Imagine that if you want to play what its. Merriman up the middle after Dareus and Williams road grade? What RB could pick up a streaking Merriman up the middle?!

However, looking at him on passing downs we have to assume he in no way shape or form can get to the ball. He hasn't shown 3 dimensional speed on the field that I have ever seen. What he has shown is that he is strongly 1 dimensional and that's fine with me. The guy can stop the run, the guy can get in front of him with lateral movement. I hope people understand this one day on here because there is a fundemental loss of understanding on how the defense works with specifics on LB's. So, to draw a comparison - Shawne Merriman is like an Abrams tank - he will go in their and pound the crap out of you and that's about it. He is a shot out of a cannon guy who, when he hits you, hits right down the line and hard.

Merriman entering the game in a hybrid 44 defense wouldn't be a problem, and if Scott goes down then it's likely - but Merriman has no business at 43OLB.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: freaking people here and LB's.

Edited by jboyst62

Merriman is a DE in a 4-3 defense, he could occasionally come in as a OLB in a specialty package

M. Williams, Dareus, K Williams, Anderson

Scott Barnett Merriman

similar to one of the Giants defense formations where they use Kiwanuka as an OLB

This would give the Bills the option of going 4-3-4, 5-2-4 or 5-1-5

Merriman is a DE in a 4-3 defense, he could occasionally come in as a OLB in a specialty package

M. Williams, Dareus, K Williams, Anderson

Scott Barnett Merriman

similar to one of the Giants defense formations where they use Kiwanuka as an OLB

This would give the Bills the option of going 4-3-4, 5-2-4 or 5-1-5

Yep. Been saying for months a healthy Merriman gives Wannstedt some very interesting scheme flexibility. While his natural position in a 43 is DE, he is more than capable playing OLB from time to time. But, when you have the explosion, strength, technique, and hands that Merriman has, you tell him to get after the QB.

GO BILLS!!!

My point was simply that the more merriman is on the field the better off our defense will be.........because of his intensity, his leadership, his pass rush ability, and his knack for doing what it takes to win.

I don't expect him to be a cover LB. he will certainly do the most damage for us as a pass rusher. However, he is the type of player that Wanny will need to move around to get the most out of him as a pass rusher. That's why i think it would be wise to use him as a DE at times and as a LB at times. Let Wanny decide where he can best exploit a blocking matchup rather than just insert him at RDE and allow the opposing OC to predetermine who he has to go up against.

Merriman can be our X-factor if you will. He can do a lot of things from a lot of different spots on the field.

Examples:

4-3 RDE

4-3 LDE

4-2 rush LB

4-2 cover LB (short areas)

4-1 blitz LB

1 of 4 quick pass rushers in obvious long yardage passing situations.

The bottom line is that wanny needs to get Merriman on the field as much as possible. He's a big time player. He's a difference maker.

Yes you are all correct, he has been done since 2006 with PEDs. This is a case of smoke with no fire:

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2011/8/18/2371161/shawne-merriman-caught-steroids-bills-chargers

sure. right.

apologists and dreamers. Shawn is done, this season, his third as a Bill, will finally prove it.

Are you really that ignorant or just trying to troll a rise out of somebody?

Perhaps you need to read Pat Moran's retraction to his story about SM being "busted" for steroids at the border. You know, the story that your link is based on? Gotta love any headline with a first word that reads: RUMOR.

Wake me when Merriman fails another test and is suspended for a season. Until then, you have no facts on your side, just conjecture.

Shawn Merriman will be Comeback Player of the Year and Defensive MVP. See? Pure conjecture and bullsh*t works both ways.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Merriman IS a better DE than M. Anderson..............and that's to take nothing away from Anderson............he's pretty darn good.

I think Anderson will be the starting RDE because that is his only true position. Merriman can be used in a variety of ways.........and likely will be.

Nix took a big chance on Merriman because of the potential big reward that he brings. Wanny has to be drooling at the thought of having such a great weapon in Merriman to move around in order to create

matchup problems.

The more that Merriman demonstrates that he's 100% the more excited Wanny has to be.

The more that Merriman plays the more that Bills fans will have to cheer about.

i absolutely agree that a healthy shawne merriman is an extreme positive in several ways. and all of those ways take this defense from "what if?" to "holy $%!!". but i think that his biggest impact could be attacking from the edge as a de. stand up or hand in the dirt doesn't matter, i just don't want him to even consider covering anyone at anytime. seek and destroy should be the only game he is playing on sundays.

:thumbsup::beer:

Yes you are all correct, he has been done since 2006 with PEDs. This is a case of smoke with no fire:

http://www.boltsfrom...-bills-chargers

sure. right.

apologists and dreamers. Shawn is done, this season, his third as a Bill, will finally prove it.

Ironic: Case of smoke with no fire.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/an-apology-to-merriman-and-everyone-else/

He was not caught with steroids on him, yet that’s what I wrote. The article was atrociously worded. Upon reflection, it ranged from amateurish to flat-out irresponsible.