How many fans remember this game in 1969

HOUSE

1341670852[/url]' post='2499256']

I was 10 when my Dad took me to the 1969 Broncos game. We sat in the end zone with the concrete steps...errr....bleachers. Was so excited to see OJ. I remember it was rainy but I didn't care...saw Bills win for first time. Made up for the game he took me to in 1968 when Lamonica came back and destroyed us 48-6. 1968 was the first year I really got into following football on my own, and I have a perverse love of that season even now. Brings back many good memories of my Dad. The Bills were always our connection.

In 1970, he bought three tickets - for me, my Mom and Dad, to see Cincy play the Bills. The seats were on the Bills sideline, under the roof and cost SEVEN DOLLARS each. That was like a fortune to me back then. The tickets were pinned to the bulletin board in the kitchen, and I looked at them every time I passed them. I could not wait to go to that game and sit in those expensive seats.

The morning of the game, my Dad had heart pains (he had history of heart attacks). He took me for a walk and told me he couldn't go to the game...I was devastated. So I went with my Mom and sister, who really wasn't into it at all. The game was a disaster - OJ blew out a knee on a meaningless kickoff return before halftime, some drunk kids spilled wine on me and burned a cigarette hole in our Bills blanket. Worst day of my young life. Dad passed away 5 years later when I was 16.

Even though the Bills sucked in those years - 1968-1971 are among my favorite seasons because I had that connection to Dad and I was so excited to see the Bills play, and when they won - it was amazingly fun. There was nothing better than coming downtown through the ghetto, walking through that filthy, dirty stadium and then walking out and seeing that gorgeous, bright green field and those royal blue jerseys, red Buffaloes and white pants. Remember, I was watching the Bills on a black and white television and to see the colors in person was stunning! And back then, the players seemed so accessible and real - they all had other jobs around town and they were definitely a lovable bunch of losers - who had a recent history of being the toast of the town.

Very cool reliving these memories and I appreciate the opportunity to share my experiences here!

I echo SJBF's sentiments! Excellent post! Pulls at my heart strings!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 10 when my Dad took me to the 1969 Broncos game. We sat in the end zone with the concrete steps...errr....bleachers. Was so excited to see OJ. I remember it was rainy but I didn't care...saw Bills win for first time. Made up for the game he took me to in 1968 when Lamonica came back and destroyed us 48-6. 1968 was the first year I really got into following football on my own, and I have a perverse love of that season even now. Brings back many good memories of my Dad. The Bills were always our connection.

In 1970, he bought three tickets - for me, my Mom and Dad, to see Cincy play the Bills. The seats were on the Bills sideline, under the roof and cost SEVEN DOLLARS each. That was like a fortune to me back then. The tickets were pinned to the bulletin board in the kitchen, and I looked at them every time I passed them. I could not wait to go to that game and sit in those expensive seats.

The morning of the game, my Dad had heart pains (he had history of heart attacks). He took me for a walk and told me he couldn't go to the game...I was devastated. So I went with my Mom and sister, who really wasn't into it at all. The game was a disaster - OJ blew out a knee on a meaningless kickoff return before halftime, some drunk kids spilled wine on me and burned a cigarette hole in our Bills blanket. Worst day of my young life. Dad passed away 5 years later when I was 16.

Even though the Bills sucked in those years - 1968-1971 are among my favorite seasons because I had that connection to Dad and I was so excited to see the Bills play, and when they won - it was amazingly fun. There was nothing better than coming downtown through the ghetto, walking through that filthy, dirty stadium and then walking out and seeing that gorgeous, bright green field and those royal blue jerseys, red Buffaloes and white pants. Remember, I was watching the Bills on a black and white television and to see the colors in person was stunning! And back then, the players seemed so accessible and real - they all had other jobs around town and they were definitely a lovable bunch of losers - who had a recent history of being the toast of the town.

Very cool reliving these memories and I appreciate the opportunity to share my experiences here!

Tom Day was my music teacher when I was like 6 (he taught drums, if I remember right) and I was scared crapless of him! He was a very big dude to a 6 year old.

Tom Day was my music teacher when I was like 6 (he taught drums, if I remember right) and I was scared crapless of him! He was a very big dude to a 6 year old.

Tom Day was also a Security guard at Chevy Buffalo. Nice Avatar by the way. Never saw that picture before.

Edited by HOUSE

Jack was only 5'10" he was pretty good at the jump pass, (I forgot where I got it, sorry). I remember nothing else about Mr. Day but he must have been playing when I had him in school, which must have been around 66 or so as I am the same age as the Bills. My Dad took me to games when I was truly a baby 2 or 3 years old. Even playoffs, which must have been expensive looking back. I really identified with

There was nothing better than coming downtown through the ghetto, walking through that filthy, dirty stadium and then walking out and seeing that gorgeous, bright green field and those royal blue jerseys, red Buffaloes and white pants. Remember, I was watching the Bills on a black and white television and to see the colors in person was stunning!

I went and got a little football signed by Haven Moses, and Mike Stranton (I think) @ a TwinFair appearance one time too. I can't remember much about that or what was going on at games. I do remember the poles being in the way and people throwing beer bottles a couple of times. I think my Dad put me on his shoulders sometimes, when it was exciting but being short was an issue.

I'm pleasantly surprised that there seems like there's still a lot of us.

Someday we'll go the way of the WW II veterans… hopefully the kids will keep some of our memories alive.

More than that, hopefully there'll be lots more great Bills moments to re-live in our future.

Agree! Well put SJBF.

Tom Day played Basketball at North Tonawanda High School in January of 1966, during the game he grabbed a wig and dancerd AK Flip Wilson. During the dance he grabbed me and danced with me out on the court. The crowd loved it, Tom Day was not only a great ball player but a great man.

The players in those days were normal guys, you could find them anywhere. My Dad use to play Eucker with Tom Janik, John Mazur (Bills Coach) and Ernie Warlick. I really miss the old AFL.

Tom Day played Basketball at North Tonawanda High School in January of 1966, during the game he grabbed a wig and dancerd AK Flip Wilson. During the dance he grabbed me and danced with me out on the court. The crowd loved it, Tom Day was not only a great ball player but a great man.

The players in those days were normal guys, you could find them anywhere. My Dad use to play Eucker with Tom Janik, John Mazur (Bills Coach) and Ernie Warlick. I really miss the old AFL.

Meet you at Main and Dewey for a couple Ernie Warlick burgers and a shake.

GO BILLS!!!

This is one of my favorites as well. Check out the nifty artwork in the end zone ??

youtube.com/watch?v=RgTroeyrVtk

This was my first Bills game. We had seats close to field level, and Haven Moses' t.d. catch was right in front of us. I was so excited I spilled the popcorn of the guy next to us. I thought he was going to punch me, or punch my dad. My next game was up in the new section along Dodge St. Some guys had a case of beer up there, and one of them whom they called "Old Sam" took a tumble down the concrete steps. I still remember the thud of his head hitting the step. Anyone remember the vendor whose trademark, when it was freezing out there, was "Get your ice cold hot warm Genesee Beer here!"?

This was my first Bills game. We had seats close to field level, and Haven Moses' t.d. catch was right in front of us. I was so excited I spilled the popcorn of the guy next to us. I thought he was going to punch me, or punch my dad. My next game was up in the new section along Dodge St. Some guys had a case of beer up there, and one of them whom they called "Old Sam" took a tumble down the concrete steps. I still remember the thud of his head hitting the step. Anyone remember the vendor whose trademark, when it was freezing out there, was "Get your ice cold hot warm Genesee Beer here!"?

BOY ARE WE OLD !!

Yes, I remember that game very well.

Meet you at Main and Dewey for a couple Ernie Warlick burgers and a shake.

GO BILLS!!!

The first house I lived in was two doors from the corner of Main on Dewey. There was a Texico station on the corner then (my uncles owned it). The house was torn down in the 70s. We moved off of Deerfield when I was 5 and my parents paid 10grand for a three story house with 2 apartments in it. One for my grandparents and one for our family. The top floor my Dad renovated to be bedrooms for the kids. It was great growing up near Kensington pool and the watertower where we played football and baseball.

I too was there at this game! I was 11, my brother 10 and my Dad, rest his soul, was so young at 33!

I remember we had garbage bags to keep the snow out, but they didn't help much! LOL!

My eyes stung from the snow hitting them so persistently all afternoon.

We were literally right at yard line where Edgerson stole the ball. I remember the play seemed to take forever, and the WR's and the DB's were just running around and you couldn't even tell who was on which team. Edgerson kind of stood at the outside, just off the line, and somehow I felt like I knew what he was thinking. Suddenly, he started running in and I'm so excited that I can't yell or scream or anything, and I'm tugging on my Dad's sleeve and pointing out at Edgerson, trying to get him to look as it transpired. I watched as Edgerson just simply lifted the ball out of Cook's hand and ran into the end zone. The Ref didn't see him do it, and there's Edgerson jumping up and down in the end zone, Cook without the ball looking at Edgerson with half disbelief and half disgust, the bewildered Ref standing between Cook and the end zone trying to figure out how in the hell Edgerson ended up with it. I remember the Ref running up to him to get an explanation. Seemed like it took at least a couple of minutes while I watched Edgerson acting out what had happened before he just shrugged and put his hands up to signal the TD. Nobody around me had even seen it and I was telling everybody around us what had just happened.

It brings tears to my eyes typing this story. My Dad's been gone now for over six years but I remember this day just like it was yesterday, and the way he looked at me as I told him what had happened and how proud I was that I saw it. Take me back........................

Edited by BuffaloBob

I was standing behind the snow fence and I still remember the look on Booker Edgersons face as he entered the endzone.

Great memories, I hope I am not boring you guys....

Definitely not. Posts like this make the off-season go by. I am by no means an oldtimer, but I was bread a Bills fan by my father. I was born in 81' and my father started bringing me to games when I was 5. I have solid memories of them probably starting around 88'. So I supposed I grew up accustomed to Bills dominance. It's been a rough decade brothers. Lets hope the next 10 is Bills ontop once again!

I too was there at this game! I was 11, my brother 10 and my Dad, rest his soul, was so young at 33!

I remember we had garbage bags to keep the snow out, but they didn't help much! LOL!

My eyes stung from the snow hitting them so persistently all afternoon.

We were literally right at yard line where Edgerson stole the ball. I remember the play seemed to take forever, and the WR's and the DB's were just running around and you couldn't even tell who was on which team. Edgerson kind of stood at the outside, just off the line, and somehow I felt like I knew what he was thinking. Suddenly, he started running in and I'm so excited that I can't yell or scream or anything, and I'm tugging on my Dad's sleeve and pointing out at Edgerson, trying to get him to look as it transpired. I watched as Edgerson just simply lifted the ball out of Cook's hand and ran into the end zone. The Ref didn't see him do it, and there's Edgerson jumping up and down in the end zone, Cook without the ball looking at Edgerson with half disbelief and half disgust, the bewildered Ref standing between Cook and the end zone trying to figure out how in the hell Edgerson ended up with it. I remember the Ref running up to him to get an explanation. Seemed like it took at least a couple of minutes while I watched Edgerson acting out what had happened before he just shrugged and put his hands up to signal the TD. Nobody around me had even seen it and I was telling everybody around us what had just happened.

It brings tears to my eyes typing this story. My Dad's been gone now for over six years but I remember this day just like it was yesterday, and the way he looked at me as I told him what had happened and how proud I was that I saw it. Take me back........................

Your account is so vivid, it's almost like I was right there standing next to you (except I'd be the guy that you had to explain what just happened to).

If ever a fan base deserved a winning team to cheer for… right here, right now.