Punishing DE's - NFL TOP 100

I just finished the family thing with the bbq and family, and watching the NFL Top 100.

Looking at Justin Smith, and Jared Allen in the top 20, it makes me think about our line this year. To have dominent DE's, you have to dominate on the inside. Can not only KW, and MD just punish people, but will our rotational guys bring the heat so our Ends just hurt people.

I say yes. Between SJ, and DE, or AC, and maybe if healthy TT, coupled with SM, and CK on the outside, we could have something special.

What say you?

I don't see the depth guys being much better than last year. I still think Kelsey is going to take more snaps than Anderson. They got Spencer Johnson playing outside right now. And I like heard better than troup right now. I like Edwards as a backup, and hope they keep him. But someone is going to get cut on this line, maybe more than one. I don't carrington sticking around or playing a big role

Health will be the key. If we get back a true "Lights Out" this year and Kyle plays like he never lost a step it is going to be HARD for any QB to have time to get the ball out consistently. Lights Out, Kyle, Marcell, and Mario could be in for career years because you can't double everyone. We REALISTICALLY could have a Top 3 defensive front in the NFL.

If everyone comes out healthy and stays healthy, and plays to their potential, I'd say we would have the best defensive line in the NFL, with probably all 4 D-linemen being Probowlers (Mario, Dareus, Kyle W., and Merriman). Has that ever even happened before?

However, I'd say the real key to us truly dominating opposing QB's is how we handle the running game, and the short passing game - like screens and quick New England-esqe passing - because, that is how teams are going to be planning on attacking this defense from the start. If we can stop the opposition from running - and I don't see why we shouldn't be able to, as Dareus and Kyle Williams are plenty big enough to plug up the middle, and Mario and Merriman, or Kelsay, are good at run protection, too.

Obviously teams aren't going to plan on just dropping back and running long routes. And, another key in our defense being in sack frenzy mode is how quickly our offense can go out and score. If we get a two touchdown lead on opponents early, it will force our opposition to play into our hands.

As a deprived Bills fan, getting this chance to envision realistic dominance from my team has left me prone to random daydreams of our defense shutting teams down. I want nothing more than to see our opponents frustrated and impotent, and to have the football world talking about the Bills defense as a once-in-a-generation type masterpiece. But, when I really think about it, I always come back to those keys - stopping the run, the short passing game, and us being able to score.

It'll probably be the teams like the Jets that give us the most trouble this year; teams that have truly good defenses that will allow their offenses to run and be patient. Now, if we end up being a great defense, and not just a good one, that wont matter. I see that happening, BTW - this team is closing in on being elite. Another offseason of key additions, and elite QB play, and we're there.

Just saying the names of the players is enough to get most Bills fans excited... Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Mark Anderson, Shawn Merriman. Yeah, most people don't hold out a lot of long-term hope for Merriman lasting the full season at this point. I really do hope he gets in at least 12 games.

But to worry about "the running game" or "the short passing game" seems a bit disrespectful to the coaches. Dave W. isn't a first-year Defensive Coordinator. He won't be sending the front 7 to sack the QB on every play. Hell, with that front, do you really need to send more than 1 or 2?

Realize: There are 5 names up there. If every snap the offense must account for all 5... whether or NOT they actually rush the QB, then you know that all the o-line, a tight end, and a running back will be FORCED to hold their ground. That means double-teaming... just 2... guys out of the 5. Which 3 do you leave 1-on-1? That's right... 3 of those players are 1-on-1.

Move Mario to the right end. Have Dareus and Williams stunt off the snap (go around each other) and Merriman fills any open channel he sees. The options of how to open a gap and rush the QB are numerous.

Screen passes are the standard methodology for defenses that are "too quick". Draw them in and then go over them. That's where having the defense send only 1 or 2 players becomes the counter-attack. The mere fact that the o-line must account for so many good players puts them at a severe disadvantage. Do you have a guard and tackle on Mario? What if he drops back into covering the screen pass and you have 2 players double-teaming someone not even pressing forward?

The running game will also be better served. Forcing double-teams means more players on D will be open to actually make tackles.

I just finished the family thing with the bbq and family, and watching the NFL Top 100.

Looking at Justin Smith, and Jared Allen in the top 20, it makes me think about our line this year. To have dominent DE's, you have to dominate on the inside. Can not only KW, and MD just punish people, but will our rotational guys bring the heat so our Ends just hurt people.

I say yes. Between SJ, and DE, or AC, and maybe if healthy TT, coupled with SM, and CK on the outside, we could have something special.

What say you?

I A. I R L O DL T Y E I KW C S H.

D-line has to stay healthy. K.Williams and M.Williams both are coming off of injuries that ended their seasons early. Anderson and Dareus stayed healthy last season but for the line to be elite at least 3 of the 4 starters have to stay healthy. And getting anything out of Merriman would be a huge plus.