Anderson Cooper outs himself

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you be proud to be gay?

I get what you're saying, but the whole reason people have to state their orientation and proclaim themselves "Proud" is due to the large group of people that sees them as second-rate citizens, sinners, deviants, etc.

If gay people werent being attacked by straight people, there would be no reason for Pride.

Truthfully, I'm surprised at how unsurprised I am. If I cared enough to give any thought to Anderson Cooper's sexual orientation, I probably could have figured that out in about two seconds.

hes been very open about it, but he hasnt wanted to make it a news story. he and his boyfriend are out and about in public whenever they come to new orleans. i last saw them over mardi gras, and it was clear they werent "just friends." that being one of a few times i have seen them together.

I get what you're saying, but the whole reason people have to state their orientation and proclaim themselves "Proud" is due to the large group of people that sees them as second-rate citizens, sinners, deviants, etc.

If gay people werent being attacked by straight people, there would be no reason for Pride.

Some very well followed black leaders have called me the "white devil" So I should be proud I'm white?

Straight people get attacked by religious people all the time for being too revealing, unmarried couples, abortions, sex in the media... everyone gets attacked for something, but it doesn't mean we're going to go around having Straight Pride Day. Victimization has gone TOO far in the USA as it is, especially in the legislative arena.

Straight people get attacked by religious people all the time for being too revealing, unmarried couples, abortions, sex in the media... everyone gets attacked for something, but it doesn't mean we're going to go around having Straight Pride Day. Victimization has gone TOO far in the USA as it is, especially in the legislative arena.

Straight people arent PHYSICALLY assaulted and killed on a regular basis. Im not talking about some verbal abuse or stupid protesters. Im talking about being chained to the back of a pickup for a good ol fashioned Fag Drag. The comparison is not even close. Gay people are subject to physical assaults on a REGUGALR basis.

And it happens from Wyoming to Buffalo, NY and everywhere in between.

Straight people arent PHYSICALLY assaulted and killed on a regular basis. Im not talking about some verbal abuse or stupid protesters. Im talking about being chained to the back of a pickup for a good ol fashioned Fag Drag. The comparison is not even close. Gay people are subject to physical assaults on a REGUGALR basis.

So now because there are physical assaults on homosexuals, that this justifies "Gay Pride"? Assaults aren't exclusive to homosexuals, and it isn't a justifiable reason to claim exclusivity. Assault under the law is still assault, whether or not you are gay, straight, black, white, disabled, etc. The claim of exclusivity just divides America even further.

Edited by BmoreBills

So it happens on a "regular basis" yet you had to go back 14 years for one of your two examples? Spare me the hysterics, crime happens. People are targeted based on gender, age, race, religion, etc., etc., etc.. And James Byrd might disagree with your inference that only gays are chained to pickup trucks.

So it happens on a "regular basis" yet you had to go back 14 years for one of your two examples? Spare me the hysterics, crime happens. People are targeted based on gender, age, race, religion, etc., etc., etc.. And James Byrd might disagree with your inference that only gays are chained to pickup trucks.

No, those were just the first two that came to mind within the couple of seconds of research Im going to do for a discussion about gay pride on a football message board.

And bringing up James Byrd is not a valid counterpoint. He wasnt targeted because he was straight, he was targeted because he was black. Hence, Black Pride as well. But you are smart enough to know how ridiculous your point was, so Im not going to bother arguing with it.

do you actually ever get attacked for any of that though? ive never been.

i have seen gays disowned by families, have slurs hurled at them for even remote public affection, and yes in fear of what will happen due to their sexuality.

with the growing "so what" that comes with these announcements, id like to think its a good sign as far as the progress society has made though. id assume as people continue to grow more accepting, the need for pride events will likely diminish. especially as rights make it into law.

So now because there are physical assaults on homosexuals, that this justifies "Gay Pride"? Assaults aren't exclusive to homosexuals, and it isn't a justifiable reason to claim exclusivity. Assault under the law is still assault, whether or not you are gay, straight, black, white, disabled, etc. The claim of exclusivity just divides America even further.

Why does gay pride need justification?

No, those were just the first two that came to mind within the couple of seconds of research Im going to do for a discussion about gay pride on a football message board.

And bringing up James Byrd is not a valid counterpoint. He wasnt targeted because he was straight, he was targeted because he was black. Hence, Black Pride as well. But you are smart enough to know how ridiculous your point was, so Im not going to bother arguing with it.

When we begin to point out assaults and other heinous crimes against various groups, we divide America. Then, the focus on the actual crimes is LOST because we are too busy trying to forge identities and expressing pride instead of solving the overall problem that some people out there are criminals and are inherently bad.

So now we have Gay Pride, Black Pride, Latino Pride, Fat Pride, Short Pride, Bald Pride, Old Pride..... it sounds utterly RIDICULOUS.

Some very well followed black leaders have called me the "white devil" So I should be proud I'm white?

If you want to be. "Pride" isn't some exclusive club that homosexuals are part of. Loads of people on this very board are vocally proud to be American, proud New Yorkers, proud Buffalonians, proud parents, etc. The word doesn't need to imply an accomplishment.

with the growing "so what" that comes with these announcements, id like to think its a good sign as far as the progress society has made though. id assume as people continue to grow more accepting, the need for pride events will likely diminish. especially as rights make it into law.

That's what I am trying to say! You can't be accepted if you are trying to declare that you are worthy of exclusive recognition based on X... I certainly don't care who anyone is, but I mean when does this all end, and we just become Americans?

When we begin to point out assaults and other heinous crimes against various groups, we divide America. Then, the focus on the actual crimes is LOST because we are too busy trying to forge identities and expressing pride instead of solving the overall problem that some people out there are criminals and are inherently bad.

So now we have Gay Pride, Black Pride, Latino Pride, Fat Pride, Short Pride, Bald Pride, Old Pride..... it sounds utterly RIDICULOUS.

Some people are criminals and inherently bad. And some people are raised by their parents and mentors with the message that homosexuals are threatening to the American way of life. You don't see how specific hatred gives way to crime?

That's what I am trying to say! You can't be accepted if you are trying to declare that you are worthy of exclusive recognition based on X... I certainly don't care who anyone is, but I mean when does this all end, and we just become Americans?

Not to hyperbolize, but doesn't national identity fall under your definition of exclusivity? I mean, we're human beings, we put labels on things. That's not going to stop. The goal isn't to stop noticing differences, it's to stop fearing them.

I get your point, but disagree. You believe the "Prides" divides America, I believe it brings us together. The point is, those of us on the outside of any of those groups, needs to be able to accept those groups as part of our society and lives. No amount of violence or religion is going to change that fact, so it's up to us to deal with it and accept it.

Some people are criminals and inherently bad. And some people are raised by their parents and mentors with the message that homosexuals are threatening to the American way of life. You don't see how specific hatred gives way to crime?

Hate is all around us, like a cloud, and it is not going away, ever- it is human nature to hate people for reasons that for a logical mind seem to be illogical. We cannot come together to combat it unless the exclusive labels go bye bye.

When we pick fights and hold arguments over stupid things, we divide America. Then, the focus on the actual issues is LOST because we are too busy trying to make everyone on the internet know that we have the biggest stones and e-muscles instead of solving the overall problem that some people out there are !@#$ing idiots.

Give it a rest, you jackasses.

No one is trying to get "better than" treatment. They just want EQUAL treatment.