any news on torell troup?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, the Bills drafted him over Gronk in the 2nd round to fill a need

A whole lot of other teams passed on Gronk as well so you can't hold that against Troup. If Dwan Edwards can get his spine fused and still play let's give this kid a shot. I have hopes for both Torell and Carrington.

A whole lot of other teams passed on Gronk as well so you can't hold that against Troup. If Dwan Edwards can get his spine fused and still play let's give this kid a shot. I have hopes for both Torell and Carrington.

Yes, Booger.

A lot of teams passed on Gronk because he missed his entire senior season… with back problems. Reports were that some teams had taken Gronk off their draft boards because he was viewed as a medical risk.

Sure, but the Bills had a need for a TE as well. The question was do you take a chance on the top rated TE in the draft, one that was at one point projected a top 10 pick but had an injury concern OR on a long shot DT that you are hoping can fill a need at DT because of a switch to the 3-4. The Troup pick was very similar to the Hardy pick in that it seemed the player was picked to "fill the need" vs. an overall evaluation of talent.

Yes, Booger.

A lot of teams passed on Gronk because he missed his entire senior season… with back problems. Reports were that some teams had taken Gronk off their draft boards because he was viewed as a medical risk.

I am not sure how much I buy into that. Find it somewhat hard to believe that a guy that is well on his way to becoming one of the best TE's (if not the best) of all time...a guy who was not only able to start his rookie year but also contribute at a high level. The Bills drafted a player in the first round a few years back coming off one of the most horrific injuries ever seen only to sit him for an entire year with the hope that he could regain his form and someday play in the NFL again.

Maybe Gronk (also from Buffalo) was not in the Bills plans but tough to argue or defend the pick of Troup there.

***AND THE REASON why I am not buying into injury concerns to where teams removed him off of their board all together is that he still left college early after sitting out the 2009 season. I am guessing he understood that he was no longer being looked at in the top 10 or maybe even 1st round, but he never would have left college if he was not getting a read on teams showing (at that time) 1st day interest. He still went to the combine, still worked out at his pro-day and also had a team trade up in the draft to draft him.

Bad job 2 ways...drafting an unproven player to eary to try and fill a need in Troup and not doing your homework on a player such as Gronk that would have been a gift in the 2nd round for another position of need.

Edited by Booger

I am not sure how much I buy into that. Find it somewhat hard to believe that a guy that is well on his way to becoming one of the best TE's (if not the best) of all time...a guy who was not only able to start his rookie year but also contribute at a high level. The Bills drafted a player in the first round a few years back coming off one of the most horrific injuries ever seen only to sit him for an entire year with the hope that he could regain his form and someday play in the NFL again.

Maybe Gronk (also from Buffalo) was not in the Bills plans but tough to argue or defend the pick of Troup there.

***AND THE REASON why I am not buying into injury concerns to where teams removed him off of their board all together is that he still left college early after sitting out the 2009 season. I am guessing he understood that he was no longer being looked at in the top 10 or maybe even 1st round, but he never would have left college if he was not getting a read on teams showing (at that time) 1st day interest. He still went to the combine, still worked out at his pro-day and also had a team trade up in the draft to draft him.

Bad job 2 ways...drafting an unproven player to eary to try and fill a need in Troup and not doing your homework on a player such as Gronk that would have been a gift in the 2nd round for another position of need.

Good points and I'm certainly not defending the Troup pick although like Lightning, I still hope that it works out for he and Carrington.

But I will say it's tiresome hearing the constant refrain that we could have drafted Gronk instead of Troup and that's what evoked my comment.

As for the truth of the matter, as per usual, we'll never know the truth about what teams had what grades on which players.

BTW, it's amazing how Nix's first draft wasn't so great but his last two appear to be excellent.

Valid reason or not, the optimists here (I include myself of course) like to point out that Modrak was still VP of College Scouting in Nix's first draft… was possibly marginalized by the time of the second draft (he was fired shortly thereafter)… and completely out of the picture by the time of Nix's third draft.

Many pessimists here will not accept the decreasing level of Modrak's involvement as a valid reason for the increasing quality of Nix's draft.

Some pessimists point out that if Nix really had his act together, he would have fired Modrak immediately upon becoming General Manager.

However, that overlooks the point that it was Modrak who hired Nix back into the organization as Head National Scout.

Surely Nix would have preferred that Modrak be an effective personnel man… certainly Nix would have preferred not having to fire the man who hired him.

Certainly Nix wanted to give Modrak every opportunity to succeed.

Good points and I'm certainly not defending the Troup pick although like Lightning, I still hope that it works out for he and Carrington.

But I will say it's tiresome hearing the constant refrain that we could have drafted Gronk instead of Troup and that's what evoked my comment.

As for the truth of the matter, as per usual, we'll never know the truth about what teams had what grades on which players.

Agreed and also sick of it as well. I think the fact that he is a Buffalo boy as well plays a huge role into it. This Troup post made me actually go back and read the draft bio's for both players. Kind of fuels the fire a little bit because they all mention Gronk having injury concerns but are also confident he would be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. That coupled with the need and the fact that he is from Buffalo just seems as if it would have been the perfect fit in the 2nd round.

Lets do hope we get something out of that draft. I just went through it and the Bills had some of the lowest grades per round. One thing that did stand out is that one of the "steals" (highest rated 7th round pick) of that draft in the 7th round was a pick by the Texans...DORIN DICKERSON....lets hope that maybe we make up for it and figure out a way how to use this guy. So many players still on the fence (Moats, Batten, Carrington, Troup, Easly) of even making the team to where all we really have to show for that draft is CJ at this point.

I actually think the Pats thought Buffalo was taking Gronk. They moved up aggressively after Buffalo picked to take him but in looking at it they really could not get in before Buffalo as the Eagles, Bucs and Dolphins had already made trades. My guess is they were amazed that Buffalo did not take him and then swooped in to snag him. Just my guess but it would make sense based on the factors stated previously.

Edited by Booger

Troup, Carrington, Gilbert, Edwards, Spencer Johnson, Heard, Jay Ross

Bills keep two or at most three out of that seven- even if Troup's back is alright it isn't going to be easy beating out the competition.

Edited by ....lybob

Troup, Carrington, Gilbert, Edwards, Spencer Johnson, Heard, Jay Ross

Bills keep two or at most three out of that seven- even if Troup's back is alright it is going to be easy beating out the competition.

If I were Troup (or any of these guys) I wouldn't be sleeping well at night.

Solid veterans Dwan and Spencer might be done in by their salaries but even if that comes to be, Troup will be competing with his classmate Carrington and former Bears 3rd rounder Jarron Gilbert.

I think that's pretty stiff competition.

Whomever are the last men standing, it feels good to view the depth chart compared to years past when we'd be depending on these guys to be our starters.

Do people making the Gronk argument stop to think about the fact that maybe having Tom Brady throwing the football to him has helped his career out a bit?

Or are we just assuming that he would be the same player, putting up the same stats with just any QB?

Edited by Bangarang

Do people making the Gronk argument stop to think about the fact that maybe having Tom Brady throwing the football to him has helped his career out a bit?

Or are we just assuming that he would be the same player, putting up the same stats with just any QB?

I would guess to say they would be pretty close. Gronk has shown time and time again he will go up and get it. His combination of speed, size, strength and hands makes him pretty difficult to stop. Perfect example would be Shannon Sharpe's stats with Dilfer chucking the ball to him. Try watching some of the catches Gronk makes or what he does after the catch. Pretty amazing player.

Edited by Booger

Agreed and also sick of it as well. I think the fact that he is a Buffalo boy as well plays a huge role into it. This Troup post made me actually go back and read the draft bio's for both players. Kind of fuels the fire a little bit because they all mention Gronk having injury concerns but are also confident he would be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. That coupled with the need and the fact that he is from Buffalo just seems as if it would have been the perfect fit in the 2nd round.

Lets do hope we get something out of that draft. I just went through it and the Bills had some of the lowest grades per round. One thing that did stand out is that one of the "steals" (highest rated 7th round pick) of that draft in the 7th round was a pick by the Texans...DORIN DICKERSON....lets hope that maybe we make up for it and figure out a way how to use this guy. So many players still on the fence (Moats, Batten, Carrington, Troup, Easly) of even making the team to where all we really have to show for that draft is CJ at this point.

I actually think the Pats thought Buffalo was taking Gronk. They moved up aggressively after Buffalo picked to take him but in looking at it they really could not get in before Buffalo as the Eagles, Bucs and Dolphins had already made trades. My guess is they were amazed that Buffalo did not take him and then swooped in to snag him. Just my guess but it would make sense based on the factors stated previously.

Ok. Two things are really bothering me about this thread so much it's unreal.

First of all, yes, Gronkowski is a Buffalo raised kid but how bout we consider not giving him as much praise for this considering he left the state his senior year to play HS football in PA. I'm just getting so annoyed of hearing people say we should LOVE this kid because he's from Buffalo. He apparently loved it so much that he moved away for better opportunities. To me it sounds like someone that didn't want to be here. I say F-him.

Second, is in one of your previous posts you had the balls to say that he's on a path to become one of the best TEs of all time. WTF!!! really??? Were already acknowledging him after just 2 seasons that he's going to be one of the best of all time? Your crazy. If his career stats even amount to Shockeys then I will buy you dinner. And Shockey was great in his first few years but still doesn't come close to the career killers at the position. Gonzo, Gates, Sharpe are 3 guys that Gronk won't even come close to. Time will tell on this argument but your expectations (and that's all they are at this point) are rediculous. Those guys have broken records, some that will probably never be broken.

Ok. Two things are really bothering me about this thread so much it's unreal.

First of all, yes, Gronkowski is a Buffalo raised kid but how bout we consider not giving him as much praise for this considering he left the state his senior year to play HS football in PA. I'm just getting so annoyed of hearing people say we should LOVE this kid because he's from Buffalo. He apparently loved it so much that he moved away for better opportunities. To me it sounds like someone that didn't want to be here. I say F-him.

Second, is in one of your previous posts you had the balls to say that he's on a path to become one of the best TEs of all time. WTF!!! really??? Were already acknowledging him after just 2 seasons that he's going to be one of the best of all time? Your crazy. If his career stats even amount to Shockeys then I will buy you dinner. And Shockey was great in his first few years but still doesn't come close to the career killers at the position. Gonzo, Gates, Sharpe are 3 guys that Gronk won't even come close to. Time will tell on this argument but your expectations (and that's all they are at this point) are rediculous. Those guys have broken records, some that will probably never be broken.

Do a little research there mrags....here are his records after his first 2 years in the NFL. To me they are pretty impressive. I'll let you know where you can buy me dinner after the season as in 2 years Gronk has 27 TD receptions to where Shockey has 37 TD receptions over 10 years. Shockey averaged 54 catches per year, 600 yards and 3.7 TD's...sounds about the going rate for any average TE in the league. Gates has no records, Sharpes records have been passed leaving a whole bunch set by Tony Gonzalez. So I am sure you meant TONY GONZALEZ has "broken" records and not Gates or Sharpe. Also, pretty sure that some day his records will be broken as most are...maybe not by Gronk, but someday someone may.

So far Gronk has ONLY achieved in two years:

Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game: 21 years, 214 days (2010, vs. Pittsburgh Steelers)

Youngest player with 3 touchdown receptions in a game, playoffs: 22 years, 275 days (2011 playoffs, vs. Denver Broncos)

Most touchdown receptions by a tight end, season: 17 (2011)

Most touchdowns by a tight end, season: 18 (2011)

First tight end to lead the league in receiving touchdowns (2011)

Most receiving yards by a tight end, season: 1,327 (2011)

Most offensive touchdowns in first two seasons: 28 (Tied with Randy Moss)

Oh yeah, on top of it all, the Gronkowski's still live in Williamsville. He went to play football for a better opportunity outside of Buffalo just as thousands move away from Buffalo every year to take an opportunity for advancement in life. Many if not most still hold a special place in their heart for Buffalo so while you say "F-Him" for moving away to better his career you are also saying that to the tens of thousands that have done the same.

So, please correct me where I am wrong in saying that "he is on the path of becoming one of the best all time" after reviewing the statistics above. I dont think you have much credibility left after your post and should maybe think about sitting a few years out.

Edited by Booger

You guys covered it on Gronk. Nix was desperate for more beef on D-Line, so just goes to show that don't just fill need when you have the better player. I think Carrington will make this team due to his athleticism, and flashes last year. If Troup doesn't improve significantly in this camp, he's cut. I didn't see much from him when he was on the field. It's too bad about his back, but we need excellent depth. It wouldn't hurt if we can afford it against the cap to keep some veterans like SJ and DE.

In the Bills defense Gronk had huge red flags because of his back, even his dad thought he would never play again. That is why they took Hernandez as well in the same draft. I hated him at UF but god was he a stud.