July Movies: The Dark Knight Rises, and The Amazing Spider-Man.....

With June pleasing many family audiences, July enters the fray of the Summer Season carrying two box office titan franchises that look to smash box office records in the process. Many fans have had this month circled, as the two most recognizable names in DC & Marvel comics return to the big screen. One having it's series rebooted, the other coming to a conclusion.

In 2005, up-and-coming director Christopher Nolan was ready to make his mark with a Warner Bros./DC comics franchise that had laid dormant for years, and was crying for a reboot. That series was Batman, and his first film "Batman Begins" was received with high praise and big bucks. It brought Nolan to the forefront and made independent film fixture Christian Bale a star. Nolan's more realistic approach to the series made critics and fans take notice, and in 2008 continued the series with "The Dark Knight". Knight's success was astronomical, and was taken far more seriously, as people noted that this was more than just a "comic book movie." Four years later Nolan & Bale have returned for the last time in this series, with "The Dark Knight Rises". Eight years after Batman took the fall for Two Face's crimes, a new terrorist leader, Bane, overwhelms Gotham's finest, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy. The stakes are even higher now, as Nolan/Bale and co. now have the unenviable task of topping their previous installment. Many say that it can not be done. However, many fans of this franchise are ready to see how it all ends and have marked this film was one of the top must-see films of 2012. The big question for Warner Bros. is, where will this franchise go next? Starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Morgan Freeman.

In 2002, Columbia Pictures and Marvel comics were ready to take comic book movies to a whole new level. After having success with their first "X-Men" movie, Marvel was ready to bring it's most iconic superhero to the silver screen, Spider-Man. Director Sam Raimi and actor Tobey Maguire brought excitement to the web-slinger franchise and would ignite Marvel's onslaught of comic book movies. Five years after the last installment, one that was looked down upon, the franchise is back, with "The Amazing Spider-Man". Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner. While fans are excited about this new start-up, many are curious as to why this series is starting from the beginning again. The franchise is still relatively fresh in people's minds, and while a new cast is good, some are wondering "Do we really need to see Peter Parker get bit by the radioactive spider again?" Still, it looks as if curiosity will win out in the end. Starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Martin Sheen and Sally Field.

Oh by the way, there are other movies coming out this month as well.

20th Century Fox continues it's popular animated prehistoric themed franchise with "Ice Age: Continental Drift". Manny, Diego, and Sid embark upon another adventure after their continent is set adrift. Using an iceberg as a ship, they encounter sea creatures and battle pirates as they explore a new world. Starring the voice talents of Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Peter Dinklage, Jennifer Lopez & Queen Latifah.

Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn & Jonah Hill headline "The Watch". Suburban dads who form a neighborhood watch group as a way to get out of their day-to-day family routines find themselves defending the Earth from an alien invasion. Also starring Richard Ayoade and Billy Crudup.

Director Oliver Stone brings us, "Savages". Pot growers Ben and Chon face off against the Mexican drug cartel who kidnapped their shared girlfriend. Starring Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Blake Lively, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, Uma Thurman and John Travolta.

"Katy Perry: Part of Me" is, A documentary that chronicles Katy Perry's life on and off-stage.

Finally in "Step Up Revolution", Emily arrives in Miami with aspirations to become a professional dancer. She sparks with Sean, the leader of a dance crew whose neighborhood is threatened by Emily's father's development plans. Starring Kathryn McCormick, Ryan Guzman and Adam G. Sevani.

Calendar with trailers.

7/3

"The Amazing Spider-Man": http://www.theamazingspiderman.com/

7/5

"Katy Perry: Part of Me": http://www.katyperrypartofme.com/

7/6

"Savages": http://www.savagesfilm.com/

7/13

"Ice Age: Continental Drift": http://www.iceagemovie.com/

7/20

"The Dark Knight Rises": http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/

7/27

"The Watch": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1578213913/

"Step Up Revolution": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2163646489/

That's all for now. Independent Films will be posted later. Enjoy!

With June pleasing many family audiences, July enters the fray of the Summer Season carrying two box office titan franchises that look to smash box office records in the process. Many fans have had this month circled, as the two most recognizable names in DC & Marvel comics return to the big screen. One having it's series rebooted, the other coming to a conclusion.

In 2005, up-and-coming director Christopher Nolan was ready to make his mark with a Warner Bros./DC comics franchise that had laid dormant for years, and was crying for a reboot. That series was Batman, and his first film "Batman Begins" was received with high praise and big bucks. It brought Nolan to the forefront and made independent film fixture Christian Bale a star. Nolan's more realistic approach to the series made critics and fans take notice, and in 2008 continued the series with "The Dark Knight". Knight's success was astronomical, and was taken far more seriously, as people noted that this was more than just a "comic book movie." Four years later Nolan & Bale have returned for the last time in this series, with "The Dark Knight Rises". Eight years after Batman took the fall for Two Face's crimes, a new terrorist leader, Bane, overwhelms Gotham's finest, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy. The stakes are even higher now, as Nolan/Bale and co. now have the unenviable task of topping their previous installment. Many say that it can not be done. However, many fans of this franchise are ready to see how it all ends and have marked this film was one of the top must-see films of 2012. The big question for Warner Bros. is, where will this franchise go next? Starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Morgan Freeman.

In 2002, Columbia Pictures and Marvel comics were ready to take comic book movies to a whole new level. After having success with their first "X-Men" movie, Marvel was ready to bring it's most iconic superhero to the silver screen, Spider-Man. Director Sam Raimi and actor Tobey Maguire brought excitement to the web-slinger franchise and would ignite Marvel's onslaught of comic book movies. Five years after the last installment, one that was looked down upon, the franchise is back, with "The Amazing Spider-Man". Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner. While fans are excited about this new start-up, many are curious as to why this series is starting from the beginning again. The franchise is still relatively fresh in people's minds, and while a new cast is good, some are wondering "Do we really need to see Peter Parker get bit by the radioactive spider again?" Still, it looks as if curiosity will win out in the end. Starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Martin Sheen and Sally Field.

Oh by the way, there are other movies coming out this month as well.

20th Century Fox continues it's popular animated prehistoric themed franchise with "Ice Age: Continental Drift". Manny, Diego, and Sid embark upon another adventure after their continent is set adrift. Using an iceberg as a ship, they encounter sea creatures and battle pirates as they explore a new world. Starring the voice talents of Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Peter Dinklage, Jennifer Lopez & Queen Latifah.

Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn & Jonah Hill headline "The Watch". Suburban dads who form a neighborhood watch group as a way to get out of their day-to-day family routines find themselves defending the Earth from an alien invasion. Also starring Richard Ayoade and Billy Crudup.

Director Oliver Stone brings us, "Savages". Pot growers Ben and Chon face off against the Mexican drug cartel who kidnapped their shared girlfriend. Starring Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Johnson, Blake Lively, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, Uma Thurman and John Travolta.

"Katy Perry: Part of Me" is, A documentary that chronicles Katy Perry's life on and off-stage.

Finally in "Step Up Revolution", Emily arrives in Miami with aspirations to become a professional dancer. She sparks with Sean, the leader of a dance crew whose neighborhood is threatened by Emily's father's development plans. Starring Kathryn McCormick, Ryan Guzman and Adam G. Sevani.

Calendar with trailers.

7/3

"The Amazing Spider-Man": http://www.theamazingspiderman.com/

7/5

"Katy Perry: Part of Me": http://www.katyperrypartofme.com/

7/6

"Savages": http://www.savagesfilm.com/

7/13

"Ice Age: Continental Drift": http://www.iceagemovie.com/

7/20

"The Dark Knight Rises": http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/

7/27

"The Watch": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1578213913/

"Step Up Revolution": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2163646489/

That's all for now. Independent Films will be posted later. Enjoy!

Mark, this is another Oscar winning wealth of information on your part!!

"The Dark Knight Rises" has a much better cast than I had anticipated with

Michael Caine,Gary Oldman,Anne Hattaway and Morgan Freeman. It was a on my list

to see and now it is a MUST see!!!

"The Amazing Spider Man" has a better cast too! Emma Stone is no slouch. I will feel

I am watching the old "West Wing" with Martin Sheen. Let's hope Sally Field gets to have

a few sceens in which she gets to fly!! Denis Leary makes sense too. A comedian in a

Marvel production. I look forward to seeing this too!!

On the one hand, I think that it's great that you have all this information about the upcoming movies.

On the other hand, movies are so crappy nowadays that your information is depressing to read.

:lol:

GBID, I understand how you feel. Trust me, there are good movies that are still made today, you just have to find them.

I can't wait for DKR as I am particularly interested in finding out how Nolan ends his run of Batman. I am not going to compare it to TDK and see if this one stands on its own merits.

Savages looks interesting esp due to the cast and Stone's direction.

OTOH, I just am unable to get excited about The Amazing Spiderman. For starters, I think it is too early for a re-boot. Secondly, reports are that it is heavy on the teen-angst angle. Maybe its just me, but I want my superhero movies to be filled with action and bad guys to go along with the human stories. I don't want a teen soap opera interspersed with 2 minutes of skyscraper-swinging. Perhaps I may go check it out if I have nothing better to do but for now, color me uninterested.

"The Dark Knight Rises" has a much better cast than I had anticipated with

Michael Caine,Gary Oldman,Anne Hattaway and Morgan Freeman. It was a on my list

to see and now it is a MUST see!!!

Caine, Oldman, and Freeman have been in all three in the series.

Btw, I saw TED last night and thought it was great. If you like Family Guy at all, you'll truly love this movie. Once you get past Ted sounding almost exactly like Peter Griffin, you're good to go.

Savages looks really good, IMO. Kind of reminds me of a Smokin' Aces type movie from the trailer.

I can't wait for DKR as I am particularly interested in finding out how Nolan ends his run of Batman. I am not going to compare it to TDK and see if this one stands on its own merits.

OTOH, I just am unable to get excited about The Amazing Spiderman. For starters, I think it is too early for a re-boot. Secondly, reports are that it is heavy on the teen-angst angle. Maybe its just me, but I want my superhero movies to be filled with action and bad guys to go along with the human stories. I don't want a teen soap opera interspersed with 2 minutes of skyscraper-swinging. Perhaps I may go check it out if I have nothing better to do but for now, color me uninterested.

...Well, it is a story about Peter Parker. A teenager with super powers. That's kind of the whole point of Spiderman, isn't it?

...Well, it is a story about Peter Parker. A teenager with super powers. That's kind of the whole point of Spiderman, isn't it?

Ofcourse I know that. But I prefer the growing-up/maturing piece as a backdrop to the main action rather than the other way around. The other type of stories are more appropriate for movies like Chronicle

I also will not be comparing DKR to TDK, and I have a lot of faith in Nolan to deliver the goods, like he has the last two times with this franchise.

I am also looking forward to "The Amazing Spider-Man", but I do agree that it seems early to re-start the franchise. I'm sure it will be a fun movie, and I like that The Lizard is the villain, but seeing Peter Parker get bit by the spider again just seems tedious. The teen-angst is unnecessary to me as well. After all, Spider-Man is one of the biggest smart a$$e$ in comic books, I think making him a tortured character is far too much like Batman. What also sucks about the teenage story, means that there will be no Daily Bugle and no J. Jonah Jameson. :angry: Still, I'll end up seeing it anyway.

Are either going to perform as well at the Box Office as the Avengers?

Spidey is already out performing Avengers overseas. Will it last? Probably not.

Batman has the best chance to dethrone the Avengers world wide ... but due to its darker source material and more adult leaning story, that seems unlikely though not impossible.

Spidey is already out performing Avengers overseas. Will it last? Probably not.

Batman has the best chance to dethrone the Avengers world wide ... but due to its darker source material and more adult leaning story, that seems unlikely though not impossible.

I agree with tgreg on this.

One disadvantage for Spidey is that there is only a 2 week gap before Dark Knight Rises, whereas The Avengers had a good two-and-a-half months.

Hard to say if DKR will have a bigger box office gross. Either way, it'll still make a lot.