#16- Who is the most indispensable player on defense?

Buffalobills.com just started their annual countdown to training camp with answering questions on the upcoming season.

I think all rookies listed could come in the game in the second half of the season due to injury and do a good job if they haven't already started.

Edited by Teen Insight

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalobills.com just started their annual countdown to training camp with answering questions on the upcoming season.

I think all rookies listed could come in the game in the second half of the season due to injury and do a good job if they haven't already started.

TI, I think pretty much every rookie has a chance to contribute this year, including Tank Carder and Powell (or is it Potter)?

Nix has whiffed on very few picks (Ed Wang comes to mind).

Gilmore will definately be a starter along with Glenn. I think TJ Graham is going to surprise everyone and possibly by the second half of the season be our number two wide receiver. I really liked our draft though so I wouldn't be surprised if at any point in the season we see one of the draft picks contribute.

TI, I think pretty much every rookie has a chance to contribute this year, including Tank Carder and Powell (or is it Potter)?

Define "whiffed"

Define "whiffed"

Let me put it this way. It's a thin line and it's probably a bit subjective.

Kyle Calloway, taken in the 7th round the same year as Wang didn't make the team but because of his low draft position I did not consider that a whiff.

Now a 5th rounder is degrees different, IMO.

For an accomplished football guy like Buddy Nix, I hold him to a high standard and a 5th rounder is still someone who can be a good player. In Nix's time here he's drafted Zebrie Sanders, Tank Carder, Johnny White, and Ed Wang in the 5th round.

I completely see the rationale in drafting the first two guys. Both of them are pretty accomplished, credentialed players.

Johnny White I consider a whiff even though he can still prove me wrong… I don't believe in drafting marginally talented running backs at all and while he's an impressive human being, I never saw anything that made me excited about him as a player.

After we drafted Ed Wang, I watched several videos of his college work and came away very unimpressed. He seemed like a very poor athlete and clearly did not have a mean streak.

I guess some of calling a pick a whiff has to do with my perception of each player's ability as well as their career outlook.

I loved the Sanders and Carder picks but would never have drafted Wang or White.

Let me put it this way. It's a thin line and it's probably a bit subjective.

Kyle Calloway, taken in the 7th round the same year as Wang didn't make the team but because of his low draft position I did not consider that a whiff.

Now a 5th rounder is degrees different, IMO.

For an accomplished football guy like Buddy Nix, I hold him to a high standard and a 5th rounder is still someone who can be a good player. In Nix's time here he's drafted Zebrie Sanders, Tank Carder, Johnny White, and Ed Wang in the 5th round.

I completely see the rationale in drafting the first two guys. Both of them are pretty accomplished, credentialed players.

Johnny White I consider a whiff even though he can still prove me wrong… I don't believe in drafting marginally talented running backs at all and while he's an impressive human being, I never saw anything that made me excited about him as a player.

After we drafted Ed Wang, I watched several videos of his college work and came away very unimpressed. He seemed like a very poor athlete and clearly did not have a mean streak.

I guess some of calling a pick a whiff has to do with my perception of each player's ability as well as their career outlook.

I loved the Sanders and Carder picks but would never have drafted Wang or White.

I pretty much agree with everything here, just curious to how someone else has viewed/rated his selections thus far. I tend to look at the 5th round as the cut off as well.

Personally, I worry Buddy's 2nd and 3rd rd picks in his inaugural draft might not make it out of camp this year. I would classify Troup and Carrignton as misses up until this point. I suppose you could largely view his whole first draft as a miss up until now, with the exception of Spiller. Unfortunately, injuries have had a hand in this. Really only Spiller and to a lesser degree, Moats has had any impact on the field.

Now, his 2011 draft appears to be a different story. We will have 3 defensive starters most likely on day one of the 2012 season. Searcy may be a starter the following year, and Rogers seems to be a great value pick. He also added a borderline NFL starting tackle and a folk hero in Jasper. Draft looking real good.

Edited by stony

Immediate impact, as in Week 1? I predict that Gilmore and Glenn will be starters. Glenn will be serviceable, while Gilmore will get taken to the watershed a couple times as new CBs tend to do.

As of now I think Gilmore is the only rookie who could start on Week 1.

Glenn is going to be given every chance to be our starting LT, but Chris Hairston showed last season that he is capable of being an LT. So I do not see Glenn being a starter at the beginning of the season.

With regard to the LT position, I think time will tell who will be the starter come week 1. I think it will be a fair competition between Hairston and Glenn. I disagree that Hairston demonstrated undisputably that he should be the entrenched starter. In the long run, I suspect Glenn will win the starting nod.

Gilmore seeems to be a lock to start at CB. As stated in the article, both Brooks and Bradham will be monsters on special teams. Both of those players could see significant PT depending on injuries (particularly Bradham).

To me, Graham is the real "wild card" rookie in terms of expectations for his production. From the sounds of things he is really starting to pick up the offense, has made some jaw dropping plays in OTA's, and could be the legitimate home-run threat that this offense has been lacking for some time now.

Besides Spiller he pretty much whiffed on the rest of his first draft

Troup hasn't shown me a thing and I hated the pick when it was made as much as I hated the Hardy pick when it was made.

Moats has shown me more then anyone else from that draft besides Spiller but doesn't see the field enough

On the other hand his last two drafts has been very good IMO

I pretty much agree with everything here, just curious to how someone else has viewed/rated his selections thus far. I tend to look at the 5th round as the cut off as well.

Personally, I worry Buddy's 2nd and 3rd rd picks in his inaugural draft might not make it out of camp this year. I would classify Troup and Carrignton as misses up until this point. I suppose you could largely view his whole first draft as a miss up until now, with the exception of Spiller. Unfortunately, injuries have had a hand in this. Really only Spiller and to a lesser degree, Moats has had any impact on the field.

Now, his 2011 draft appears to be a different story. We will have 3 defensive starters most likely on day one of the 2012 season. Searcy may be a starter the following year, and Rogers seems to be a great value pick. He also added a borderline NFL starting tackle and a folk hero in Jasper. Draft looking real good.

Agreed.

Besides Spiller he pretty much whiffed on the rest of his first draft

Troup hasn't shown me a thing and I hated the pick when it was made as much as I hated the Hardy pick when it was made.

Moats has shown me more then anyone else from that draft besides Spiller but doesn't see the field enough

On the other hand his last two drafts has been very good IMO

Again, agreed but like Stony points out, Moats has been a good selection and while Troup, Carrington, and Batten are not looking great right now, all three are still with the team so there's still a chance that one of them could salvage their draft position.

But both you guys are right… that first draft aside from Spiller was not that great but last year's was outstanding and this year's looks to be another bumper crop.

Jasper? Guy is a physical freak but Id be shocked if he makes the team

Potter is the kicker!

I think Glenn and Gilmore are definitely going to be major contributors from week one ... Gilmore will probably get burned a few times but he'll end up being a top corner.

Potter I think will be a major contributor from the first game on .. the surprise move!

But it's possible the majority of this year's picks will be playing a special role on the field!