#16- Who is the most indispensable player on defense?

Another interesting article in the countdown to training camp series.

This segment talks about how the defense is defensive line friendly and that our success will come from them. It then goes on to talk about the LB and how Kelvin Sheppard is ready to take the MLB position head on. It talks about the secondary and that not much changes for them when it comes to 4-3 or 3-4.

Edited by Teen Insight

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#21 Will Gilmore be a difference maker as a rookie?

#20Will the Bills average more than 24 points per game?

#21: If "difference maker" means "better than Drayton Florance", than the answer is yes. Otherwise, I don't understand the question. Every starting CB is a 'game changer'.

#20: No.

1341493441[/url]' post='2498072']

#21: If "difference maker" means "better than Drayton Florance", than the answer is yes. Otherwise, I don't understand the question. Every starting CB is a 'game changer'.

#20: No.

True, to #21, though the League does have elite CB's who effectively shut down a third of the field. This is what Gilmores' expectations are.

I disagree on #20. Gaily is outstanding as an OC, utilizing specific talents to comprise his attacks vs forcing players into roles. 4-5 more plays per game than last year will very likely realize 24+ PPG and we have every reason to believe our defense will provide these opportunities. Also very likely the offense will be provided with more short fields than last year. JMO.

I disagree on #20. Gaily is outstanding as an OC, utilizing specific talents to comprise his attacks vs forcing players into roles. 4-5 more plays per game than last year will very likely realize 24+ PPG and we have every reason to believe our defense will provide these opportunities. Also very likely the offense will be provided with more short fields than last year. JMO.

You can add in there the opportunities that the defense will have to score on INT and sack/fumbles. :thumbsup:

You can add in there the opportunities that the defense will have to score on INT and sack/fumbles. :thumbsup:

The Bills defense cannot really score much more then they did last year. They had 6 TDs last year, and a safety, they were 2nd in the NFL in defensive points scored. They had 1 punt return for a TD, so they had 7 TDs and a safety, for a total of 51 points scored, 2nd in the NFL for non offensive points scored. It would be a feat to match that and cannot be expected.

I will say no on the 24 points.

TI, I think pretty much every rookie has a chance to contribute this year, including Tank Carder and Powell (or is it Potter)?

Nix has whiffed on very few picks (Ed Wang comes to mind).

Yeah - you know, other than the first year Nix drafted, with Carrington, Troupe, Spiller, and Co., Nix has been one of the best drafting GM's in the league. I'd say he's been a top 5 GM without a doubt. I love that, because so many people critisized the hire when it happened. I think Nix being new to the job, not having his own scouting staff in place, having to feel pressured to draft for a 3-4 defense, especially with the small defense he was inheriting, all are factors in that first draft. And, I don't even mind the first draft, personnel wise. Spiller is very good, Troupe might be good, if he can stay healthy, and I'd bet if a team like Green Bay, or the Jets, or Houston picked up Carrington he'd end up being an excellent starter for years. He just hasn't had the benefit of a consistent defense, consistent duties, and he hasn't been given a lot of time on the field. I think the guy has a ton of potential, and he would be the one I'd regret losing the most, of all the possible D-line cuts coming this year.

Anyway - Nix has not been bested in the draft department, I think, by any GM. Granted - San Fran has had a very quick rise to dominance with the new coach and system, but that defense was being built gradually - not in just two years. If you look at any team being assembled, virtually from scratch, there are only a few that have been as well done as Nix's Bills. And, to top it all off, he's wise enough, and modest enough, to have a successor lined up, so when he is ready to quit, the system will be able to continue seamlessly.

Edited by sllib olaffub

The Bills defense cannot really score much more then they did last year. They had 6 TDs last year, and a safety, they were 2nd in the NFL in defensive points scored. They had 1 punt return for a TD, so they had 7 TDs and a safety, for a total of 51 points scored, 2nd in the NFL for non offensive points scored. It would be a feat to match that and cannot be expected.

I will say no on the 24 points.

The Bills averaged 23.3 points per game last year.

It does not seem much of a stretch that our O will get the ball more (due to improved D) and thus might score the necessary average of <1 additional point per game.

Raynor's missed "gimmee" FG would put them more than half way there.

I expect the Bills offense to average over 24 points per game by themselves

Add another 10 ppg from the D, throw in 7 from punt/kickoff return & coverage TDs

That would put Da Billsss at roughly 41 ppg - I fully expect that from this team...

GO BILLSSS!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!! :beer:

#19-Who will start at left tackle?

Interesting one. My vote is Hairston because he the LT that has been here the longest. I see Glenn getting eased into the system and starting RT at the beginning and then getting moved over to LT or just being the back-up LT for the year.

The way Buddy and Chan have talked since drafting Glenn, I expect him to start at LT. Obviously, they say it's a competition. What else would they say? And I'm sure it actually is. I just think both Buddy and Chan expect Glenn to win that competition.

Interesting one. My vote is Hairston because he the LT that has been here the longest. I see Glenn getting eased into the system and starting RT at the beginning and then getting moved over to LT or just being the back-up LT for the year.

The Bills drafted Glenn to be their LT -- either immediately, or within a year. I don't see them switching him to the right side unless he's a total flop once the pads go on.

Ideally, in Hairston and Sanders the Bills will have two starting-caliber backups at both T positions.

This one is simple ... if the coaches were developing competition at the LT position there would have been some minimal rotation during mini-camp and OTA's even with Pears' recovery from surgery. But, Glenn (Whom most on this board would have been happy to have had as our #1 pick) has not only played every first team snap at LT, he has played some second team snaps at LT. Unless he really screws up there is no doubt he'll be at LT in the Meadowlands.

If you remember the draft talk about Hairston (No, I don't have time to dig up a link right now) I am sure that Buddy referred to Chris as a protype right tackle in the league. I really like Pears at RT but Hairston has a nice mean streak and did well at LT. The surprise starter at the Meadowlands might be Hairston at RT if Pears does not get back to practice.

But the truly amazing thing is the Bills have an offensive line that other teams in the league and the media admire. We have quality back-ups and there will actually be competition to see who can make the team in those back-up roles.

Good things at One Bills' Drive ... GO BILLS!!

Glenn is not being eased in to anything. He has been lining up as No.1 LT since the 1st practice. Barring injuring he will start at LT opening day.

shoulda included a poll. bet it would be about 80/20 glenn/hairston

but im goin with hairston for game one. too much to learn to throw glenn right in there when you have a capable starter already in hairston. if pears is ready then glenn probably sits until one of the ends gets injured or when chan thinks hes ready probably by mid season

so rules judge mh so it shall be

I still say that when the smoke clears its gonna be Glenn at LT with Hairston at RT.....with Pears and Sanders providing depth

That is easily the best RUNNING offensive line....Pears had to put on weight just to get the starting nod last year.....and he really starting getting turned into a turstyle at the end of the year.....

Hairston has good feet for a man of his natural size....and his upper body strength is impressive.....he also has that "mean" factor that I really like in a OL.

If Wood comes back to form....Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Hairston would run on people all day......taking the pressure off of Fitzy and allow our defense to control games by keeping opposing offenses off the field.

That is my opinion on this

Certainly not as a rookie.

I am quite certain that nothing is certain in the NFL. He could very well be a shutdown corner by the end of the year. Maybe not probable but Certainly possible.

I still say that when the smoke clears its gonna be Glenn at LT with Hairston at RT.....with Pears and Sanders providing depth

That is easily the best RUNNING offensive line....Pears had to put on weight just to get the starting nod last year.....and he really starting getting turned into a turstyle at the end of the year.....

Hairston has good feet for a man of his natural size....and his upper body strength is impressive.....he also has that "mean" factor that I really like in a OL.

If Wood comes back to form....Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Hairston would run on people all day......taking the pressure off of Fitzy and allow our defense to control games by keeping opposing offenses off the field.

That is my opinion on this

Yes, running the ball down opponents throats, that is what I want. In a league more and more designed to stop the pass, stopping the run with pass rushers and cover linebackers is going to be harder as time goes on...