O-Line situation at this point

San-O

I am very interested, as many are, re: that state of the O-line. Looking online seeing the status below,

training camp starting soon:

o Eric Pears - Starting tackle - missing all the OTAs and minicamp. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

o Eric Wood - Starting center - did not take part in OTAs and is missing minicamp.

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/

So right now we're missing a C and OT. Urbik is listed as backup center, however also starting G.

Bills obviously drafted Glenn as T.

With training camp starting soon (date?) Glenn would be starting LT and there is no C, Colin Brown?

2) OT Cordy Glenn, Georgia 6-5 3/4, 345, 5.15 - Glenn is a huge player with tremendous length and size. The Bills feel those characteristics make him a perfect player to man the blindside of the quarterback despite the fact he played guard most of his college career. Hand span and arm length are above average and has decent footwork. He has good mobility in pass protection for his size. Gets a good push in run blocking.

As of right now, the starting line is: Glenn/Hairston-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears. Hairston and Glenn will battle for LT with the loser backing up both OT spots. Rinehart will be backup at both OG spots. As for backup center, it will likely be Colin Brown. The question is whether they keep a 9th OL, and if so, who?

Everything I've read suggests Wood and Pears will be back by the start of training camp (July 26). In the meantime, other players got valuable reps at those respective positions and should provide more competent depth.

I know we don't wanna just hand Glenn the LT spot, but I'm glad Hairston is seeing some time at RT because I feel the brightest future for this unit ( :lol: he said unit) is Hairston at RT with Pears being the swing tackle. I know Pears got a new deal but it really isn't starter money these days anyways. I'm personally fine with a backup getting that kind of money because of the insurance policy.

I do like Brown as backup center, he's shown well in ltd. duty, and should have upside. That way you leave Urbik in place, and Rinehart can still spell the guards. Would be nice if Hairston came thru on the right, but Pears is playing as well as ever.(he actually had a successful stint as LT one year, here in Denver). yeh, so Pears could be the future swing tackle.

Zebrie seems the likely candidate for 9th man, unless either Mt.Jasper or mr.Asper shows up big time. dunno if we can get Jasper thru waivers and back on the practice squad again.. jus' sayin'.

~AS

I do like Brown as backup center, he's shown well in ltd. duty, and should have upside.

I hope you're right, basis for saying this?

I know Brown took the 1st team center reps in OTAs and at the end of minicamp.

I seem to recall quite a bit of reaching for the ball on the part of the QBs in the film clips of these sessions and thinking "uh, oh....I do hope Wood makes it back"

I know we don't wanna just hand Glenn the LT spot, but I'm glad Hairston is seeing some time at RT because I feel the brightest future for this unit ( :lol: he said unit) is Hairston at RT with Pears being the swing tackle. I know Pears got a new deal but it really isn't starter money these days anyways. I'm personally fine with a backup getting that kind of money because of the insurance policy.

My thoughts exactly

Don't forget about Sanders and Asper. Sanders could be a good swing tackle and Asper can play center

I would think that Asper vs Brown is going to be the battle for the last online position. I think we see it end up as Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Hairston, Reinhardt, Sanders, and one of Brown/Asper/Jasper with the losers going to the practice squad.

When you look at the offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL last year as well as blocking for an average rushing gain of almost 5 yards per carry you have to feel good!

Every single report that I have read gives no indication that our starting five won't be ready for training camp of course Glenn is clearly being pushed to being the starter at LT, which in a way makes the line stronger since Hairston can play either tackle position with skill and aggressiveness.

I have seen Brown's name in the reports from training camp so he is still in the mix as a back up center but we also have Asper whose multidimensional skills could get him a place on the starting line up. Of course there's also Sanders who the coaches seem high on and Jasper (I keep hoping this kid is able to make it ... have doubts but will remain hopeful.)!

So we have our starters: Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, and Pears. Primary back-ups are Reinhart and Hairston. In the event of Wood not playing either Brown steps up (Asper?) or Urbik moves over and Reinhart starts at RG. So on the bubble are Brown, Asper, Sanders, Jasper, and not sure about Sam Young. And, we still have a couple of additional players who in past years would have been considered potential starters for the Bills.

The OL like the DL has me wanting the season to start now! Obviously, I am hoping that we'll see WOOD as a beast in the middle (I think he was having a Pro-Bowl quality year last year before being hurt) and Glenn locking himself in as the long term answer at LT.

GO BILLS!

As of right now, the starting line is: Glenn/Hairston-Levitre-Wood-Urbik-Pears. Hairston and Glenn will battle for LT with the loser backing up both OT spots. Rinehart will be backup at both OG spots. As for backup center, it will likely be Colin Brown. The question is whether they keep a 9th OL, and if so, who?

I looked at the opening day roster from last year, and the Bills kept 9 OL (the above minus Glenn, plus Bell and Sam Young). I think they'll do the same, especially given what happened last year. The first 8 are locks leaving the only real competition being the 9th slot.

Eventually. If not at the start of the season the line will look like this in time:

LT- Glenn

LG- Levitre

C- Wood

RG- Ubrik

RT- Hairston

Pears will be swing tackle and Rhinehardt swing guard. Brown, Sanders, Asper, Jasper will be there as well.

Eventually. If not at the start of the season the line will look like this in time:

LT- Glenn

LG- Levitre

C- Wood

RG- Ubrik

RT- Hairston

Pears will be swing tackle and Rhinehardt swing guard. Brown, Sanders, Asper, Jasper will be there as well.

Next year I see that as the starting OL, with the possible exception of Glenn and Hairston flipping spots (time will tell). I don't think the Bills want a rookie and a 2nd year player being their starting OT's this year.

Don't be surprised if Levitre is flipped to RG as it is a harder position. LG pulls with the Center and LT, as most QB's are right handed and when they rol, they roll to the right. The RG is on his own for at a minimum a premier DT in many defenses. Levitre is a better athlete, than Urbik. Not a cut on Urbik, just a guess so we'll see if I'm right.

For once we are not in a spot where we are so scared for anyone on the line to go down. We finally are starting to gain depth in the different spots in our offense and defense.

Go Bills!

Don't be surprised if Levitre is flipped to RG as it is a harder position. LG pulls with the Center and LT, as most QB's are right handed and when they rol, they roll to the right. The RG is on his own for at a minimum a premier DT in many defenses. Levitre is a better athlete, than Urbik. Not a cut on Urbik, just a guess so we'll see if I'm right.

For once we are not in a spot where we are so scared for anyone on the line to go down. We finally are starting to gain depth in the different spots in our offense and defense.

Go Bills!

I would highly doubt we see any kind of move with Levitre. He's very good where he's at and has been since he came into the league. I don't think they're concerned about having him on the right side in case of a rollout. Plus having a savvy vet like him next to a rookie or 2nd year LT can only be a positive. There's been no talk about him moving nor has he gotten a single rep on that side so I would think it next to no chance of happening.

The depth on this team this year should finally put a dent in our perennial issue with injuries, especially depth on the OL as they arguably suffered the worst injury issues last year. They managed so well with yards per carry and few sacks last year - even though partially due to game planning (getting rid of ball quickly). Now with some depth, there should be fewer injuries due to wear and tear, and less drop off when starters get a breather. And the battle of who makes the team alone is cause for excitement - not a bad option all around... Let's get this season started already!

Nix gave some interesting perspective on the backup line positions a few weeks ago.

You only keep 7 lineman active on gameday so you would like the two backup linemen to be able to play multiple positions on the line in order to be useful. Hence you would like a player that can play either center or guard and a player that can play either tackle. For tackle they're clearly trying to groom Hairston, which is why he's getting reps on both sides. For center/guard, it's up in the air. Rinehart can play guard but if the center goes out then Urbik would have to switch to center with Rinehart at guard disrupting two positions which is not ideal. I get the feeling that the staff would love to see Rinehart beat out Urbik so that he can be guy at RG with Urbik as the swing interior lineman. If Rinehart can't beat out Urbik and Brown can show that he can play guard then he has a very good chance to challenge for the gametime backup spot over Rinehart, IMO.

Edited by vincec