The Blues

birdog1960

I always get some great recommendations for music on this site. Lots of new found stuff that I enjoy. So....what do ya'll like in the Blues? Beyond Stevie Ray and Clapton's forays into the genre I'm pretty lost. Little help?

I always get some great recommendations for music on this site. Lots of new found stuff that I enjoy. So....what do ya'll like in the Blues? Beyond Stevie Ray and Clapton's forays into the genre I'm pretty lost. Little help?

Before he became the musical voice of male impotency (I sure hope his family got a lot of money for that), Howlin' Wolf was THE man, as far as I am concerned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd78tpJuE-8&feature=related

Before he became the musical voice of male impotency (I sure hope his family got a lot of money for that), Howlin' Wolf was THE man, as far as I am concerned:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wd78tpJuE-8&feature=related

that's what i'm talkin about. can't help but rock in my chair. but who knew al roker played the bass?

Edited by birdog1960

Really old stuff, Robert Johnson.

Older stuff, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, BB King, John Lee Hooker

Newer stuff, Joe Bonamassa

Bunch of classic rock bands have a bluesey side to them. Led Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Allman Bros.

Localy WBFO 88.7 has a blues show every Sat and Sun night.

one of my favorite (admittedly,from a limited group) blues tunes:

That is a classic...I am not as familiar with Joe Bonomassa as I should be...I love SRV, Clapton (pre-80's) and Jeff Beck's good stuff. Clapton and Beck did a great version of this song "Further On Up the Road" in some concert film I saw, somewhere, years ago. I can't remember. It was originally a Bobby Blue Bland tune.

If you want something contemporary, this is one those songs that will haunt you once you hear it...if you haven't already heard it...cool mix of old-school blues/modern studio mix. It was used in a very famous sequence of the "Sopranons", years ago...was lucky enough to see RL perform this not long before he died:

Man I love the blues! I had a blues epiphany when I was in Chicago at Kingston Mines early 90's.

Son House

Skip James

Charlie Patton

Blind Willie Johnson

^for starters- they wrote the book

Fred McDowell, Magic Sam, Junior Wells are some of my favorites. That's a good start

That is a classic...I am not as familiar with Joe Bonomassa as I should be...I love SRV, Clapton (pre-80's) and Jeff Beck's good stuff. Clapton and Beck did a great version of this song "Further On Up the Road" in some concert film I saw, somewhere, years ago. I can't remember. It was originally a Bobby Blue Bland tune.

If you want something contemporary, this is one those songs that will haunt you once you hear it...if you haven't already heard it...cool mix of old-school blues/modern studio mix. It was used in a very famous sequence of the "Sopranons", years ago...was lucky enough to see RL perform this not long before he died:

youtube.com/watch?v=QzC_rGX-XyM&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9A5BbMQ9pKhVRonQtwjgJNu

awesome! R.L. is one of my favorites as well(and the track you selected is one of favorites by R.L.). Well done

Edited by Pete

There is this local guy, here in Austin, Gary Clark Jr. I think he is going to be the "next big thing" in contemporary blues. He is great live, great guitar player...saw him when he was about 20, opened up for Chuck Berry...Chuck brang GC out during his set, and they played an awesome cover of "Old Time Rock 'N' Roll"...always figured Chuck would record that song as some sort of a "comeback" like all the old guys get these days...no luck.

Gary Clark Jr has a major label debut record coming out later this year.

Buddy Guy first and foremost.

Joe Bonamassa is also another great blues guitar player.

Others to definitely look into:

Michael Burks

Roy Buchanan

Savoy Brown

Albert Collins

Charlie Musselwhite

Coco Montoya

Johnny Winter

Guitar Shorty

Joe Louis Walker

John Mayall

Fleetwood Mac (original lineup with Peter Green)

Luthar Allison

and my personal favorite Son Seals.

Edited by Metal Man

Man I love the blues! I had a blues epiphany when I was in Chicago at Kingston Mines early 90's.

Son House

Skip James

Charlie Patton

Blind Willie Johnson

^for starters- they wrote the book

the Chicago blues is by far my favorite! I don't want this thread to die without a mention of Luther Allison. I'm on my phone so I won't embed but YouTube bad love and see if it's your style.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWwSvqo1TIw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by section122

i knew all this great stuff was out there. just didn't know where to start. and don't let the thread die on my account. these music threads are some of my favorites and i'd be willing to bet i'm not alone. seems to me that many bills fans possess pretty impressive musical knowledge. anybody here actually perform the blues. i've played around on garage band with licks and accompaniments but don't seem to have "it". as long as it makes you happy though. don't have to sound like these masters to have fun.