Percy Harvin requests a trade

Trade him to another team for a package of picks, like any other player teams take risks on.

It *is* a risk. But it's also a move that could put us over the hump. It's a tough decision. I'm glad I'm not in control of a football team. :D

You have no guarantee a team would take him after a second time of him being an !@#$ and asking for a trade. More likely you release him and are stuck with his contract against the cap

Adrian Peterson? Jared Allen? Harvin is definitely not the best player on that team..

You ignore the fact that Welker is better than Harvin. I'm sure if a GM had a choice between a 24 year old Welker and a 24 year old Harvin, they would take Welker 100% of the time. Even at their current ages, I'm sure some GMs would still rather have Welker.

Once again.. if you don't like my comparison to Welker, find someone better. Steve Smith plays exclusively on the outside and has proven himself as one of the best WR in the league. Brandon Marshall is 6'4" and is a ridiculous comparison. If anything, you're arguing that Harvin is a gadget player. If thats what you're arguing.. start here:

D. Sproles: 600 rush yards, 700 receiving yards, 1300 return yards, 10 total tds

P. Harvin: 350 rush yards, 950 receiving yards, 500 return yards, 9 total tds

Sproles has a 4 year, $14 million contract.

FYI, you keep touting Harvin as a dynamic return guy, but he only returned 16 kicks last year.

Thats a great comparison actually

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't touch him. I'm usually not a stickler for adding players with some character issues, but I'll always be a stickler for adding players with character issues and concussion/migraine/injury issues. He's a great talent, but he's not worth the risk IMO

No matter how nice it would be to have a player of Harvins calibur on our team, I am opposed to him on the team. 1st) What's going to happen if something doesn't go right on the Bills for his liking? He's going to create a stir and demand a trade? 2nd) He has an injury history. 3rd) We have enough young guys to work with that I believe can do just fine.

Willis Mcgahee

Marshawn Lynch

Jason Peters

Want another one who wants to jump off ship when things are tough. I like our guys and rather have Ashante Schanko as a complimentary TE for a year.

Besides, all posts aside, he's not going anywhere with no leverage. He'll be there just like Mike Wallace will be there in Pittsburgh. MJD will be in Jax as well. If these teams let this happen, then whenever you rebuild your at risk for your talent to hold you hostage. Won't happen with any decent FO. Not that we had one prior to Nix and Whaley since Butler, and Polian.

Wouldn't touch him. I'm usually not a stickler for adding players with some character issues, but I'll always be a stickler for adding players with character issues and concussion/migraine/injury issues. He's a great talent, but he's not worth the risk IMO

He's actually only missed 3 regular season games in 3 years if I'm correct. Injury concerns are way overblown IMO.

I guess it just comes down to whether you think his play on the field would outweigh the baggage that comes off of it.

I think its a no brainier that it would. The guy isn't Pacman Jones.

Also interesting tweet from Harvin:

"Fans I said I have issues to be worked out money not at all being the problem...I've dne everything asked and more..."

Not sure I believe him, but hey.

Edited by Billsrhody

I guess it just comes down to whether you think his play on the field would outweigh the baggage that comes off of it.

I think its a no brainier that it would. The guy isn't Pacman Jones.

Also interesting tweet from Harvin:

"Fans I said I have issues to be worked out money not at all being the problem...I've dne everything asked and more..."

Not sure I believe him, but hey.

money will always be part of this as he needs a new deal if you trade for him. even if its not the root, its something that must be addressed quickly. but really....

he picked a coach up by the neck and slammed him to the ground.

this AFTER he was banned from finishing his HS career because of a series of issues with his temper.

think about that for a moment.

not even pacman has done that. Because he hasnt been arrested in minnesota the guy isnt worth drawing the line at? is criminal arrests the standard, and solely for suspension worries? i just dont get what it would take for you to say - enough. I am actually really curious to hear where you draw the line. maybe he has done something privately to get his head straight and is no longer entitled about things but at the very core of whats going on now is "i dont want to take work seriously until they tell me i get what i want." short of brad childress not getting any mysterious black eyes from "walking into doors" do we have any reason to believe that hes not the same "my way or i throw a fit" guy that he has been all these years?

Edited by NoSaint

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8076348/report-percy-harvin-requests-trade-minnesota-vikings

He's a dynamic player who lives in the middle of the field. Lets try and get him for a 3rd rounder?

I give the Bills credit for looking at the Terrell Owens experiment (which worked for the year we had him) and learning from it in that Stevie Johnson was held back. I would like to see what Jones, Easley, and the others can do to step up to the spot. I don't need to lose a draft choices.

money will always be part of this as he needs a new deal if you trade for him. even if its not the root, its something that must be addressed quickly. but really....

he picked a coach up by the neck and slammed him to the ground.

this AFTER he was banned from finishing his HS career because of a series of issues with his temper.

think about that for a moment.

not even pacman has done that. Because he hasnt been arrested in minnesota the guy isnt worth drawing the line at? is criminal arrests the standard, and solely for suspension worries? i just dont get what it would take for you to say - enough. I am actually really curious to hear where you draw the line. maybe he has done something privately to get his head straight and is no longer entitled about things but at the very core of whats going on now is "i dont want to take work seriously until they tell me i get what i want."

This all when he was a teenager. Lets not pretend we know how Percy Harvin had it growing up. Sure the guy had some issues when he was a kid, but he's 24 now and has been a model citizen for the past 3 years. So he comes out and says he's unhappy in Minnesota. You have no idea why, but you think he's being childish.

This from the guy he supposedly "choke slammed":

Said Gonzales: "I think it's a little overblown. I mean, every great player wants his voice to be heard."

I draw the line at a players actions while he's been in the NFL. Are you telling me that you don't think Harvin can be a good guy, because he screwed up a few times when he was a kid? I dont get that.. Percy Harvin could have a 12 year career with no incidents. You wouldn't want him on your team because of something he did when he was 19?

Just to give you an idea of how much worse of a person Packman was... here's 2 sentences out of wikipedia:

Jones became enraged when a dancer began taking the money without his permission. He allegedly grabbed her by her hair and slammed her head on the stage. A security guard intervened and scuffled with members of Jones' entourage of half a dozen people. Jones then allegedly threatened the guard's life.

Not even Packman has done that? I'd think twice before you compare someone like Harvin to Packman Jones

This all when he was a teenager. Lets not pretend we know how Percy Harvin had it growing up. Sure the guy had some issues when he was a kid, but he's 24 now and has been a model citizen for the past 3 years. So he comes out and says he's unhappy in Minnesota. You have no idea why, but you think he's being childish.

Said Gonzales: "I think it's a little overblown. I mean, every great player wants his voice to be heard."

I draw the line at a players actions while he's been in the NFL. Are you telling me that you don't think Harvin can be a good guy, because he screwed up a few times when he was a kid? I dont get that.. Percy Harvin could have a 12 year career with no incidents. You wouldn't want him on your team because of something he did when he was 19?

Just to give you an idea of how much worse of a person Packman was... here's 2 sentences out of wikipedia:

Jones became enraged when a dancer began taking the money without his permission. He allegedly grabbed her by her hair and slammed her head on the stage. A security guard intervened and scuffled with members of Jones' entourage of half a dozen people. Jones then allegedly threatened the guard's life.

Not even Packman has done that? I'd think twice before you compare someone like Harvin to Packman Jones

dear lord.

yes, i am familiar with pacmans looooong list. im also aware that he didnt get into this stuff in the locker room, with his coaches, sober --- so while his had far more disastrous outcomes, percys temper might be even more worrisome. that was my point saying that their offenses are different - and thats not excusing pacman by any means. harvin could have been put in jail just as quickly but that coach felt like percy was the boss, and likely decided his future career advancement meant more than going after him on the issue.

if you have some indication that things have changed, or he has been a model citizen besides no arrests - have at it and share. this latest standoff is the same mold of issues though - "i get what i want, the team doesnt tell me what to do, or i throw a fit." he has openly said hes only half interested in what hes doing because his issues havent been fixed for him. is that really all that different than sitting down on the stairs during a cardio session at florida and refusing to continue?

the vikings certainly have no reason to air dirty laundry on a guy they openly took a big risk rolling the dice on, so it doesnt surprise me that everything in house would be peaches and cream right now. there are red flags all over this guy if you are actually open to seeing them.

Edited by NoSaint

dear lord.

yes, i am familiar with pacmans looooong list. im also aware that he didnt get into this stuff in the locker room, with his coaches, sober --- so while his had far more disastrous outcomes, percys temper might be even more worrisome. that was my point saying that their offenses are different - and thats not excusing pacman by any means. harvin could have been put in jail just as quickly but that coach felt like percy was the boss, and likely decided his future career advancement meant more than going after him on the issue.

if you have some indication that things have changed, or he has been a model citizen besides no arrests - have at it and share. this latest standoff is the same mold of issues though - "i get what i want, the team doesnt tell me what to do, or i throw a fit." he has openly said hes only half interested in what hes doing because his issues havent been fixed for him. is that really all that different than sitting down on the stairs during a cardio session at florida and refusing to continue?

the vikings certainly have no reason to air dirty laundry on a guy they openly took a big risk rolling the dice on, so it doesnt surprise me that everything in house would be peaches and cream right now. there are red flags all over this guy if you are actually open to seeing them.

So because Pacman kept his problems out of the locker room it was ok? I'm not sure what you're trying to point out by saying that.. Pacman is a terrible person and a criminal. Harvin has a history of temper issues. Big difference, wouldn't you say?

I don't see how you can assume that his problems have continued because you have no evidence supporting that. The evidence supporting the fact that he has changed is the lack of problems he has had in the NFL. If Harvin going public with a contract concern or a playing time concern is the biggest problem I'll have to deal with, then I'll take him on my team any day.

What are you so worried about? What do you think he would do to destroy the locker room in buffalo?

So because Pacman kept his problems out of the locker room it was ok? I'm not sure what you're trying to point out by saying that.. Pacman is a terrible person and a criminal. Harvin has a history of temper issues. Big difference, wouldn't you say?

I don't see how you can assume that his problems have continued because you have no evidence supporting that. The evidence supporting the fact that he has changed is the lack of problems he has had in the NFL. If Harvin going public with a contract concern or a playing time concern is the biggest problem I'll have to deal with, then I'll take him on my team any day.

What are you so worried about? What do you think he would do to destroy the locker room in buffalo?

if he just went public saying id like to work out some issues - then so be it. he has gone public saying he is letting it effect his work - HUGE RED FLAG. especially from a guy that has pulled the "my way or im throwing a fit" card consistently.

and my point was that although getting into a brawl at a club is a FAR more volatile, and FAR more dangerous thing - as pacman proved - its also a pretty overwhelming issue to choke slam your boss. they are different types of issues, and speak to different types of psycological problems. i dont want either on my team, so dont act like i said its all good as long as its not in the locker room.

Edited by NoSaint

if he just went public saying id like to work out some issues - then so be it. he has gone public saying he is letting it effect his work - HUGE RED FLAG. especially from a guy that has pulled the "my way or im throwing a fit" card consistently.

and my point was that although getting into a brawl at a club is a FAR more volatile, and FAR more dangerous thing - as pacman proved - its also a pretty overwhelming issue to choke slam your boss. they are different types of issues, and speak to different types of psycological problems. i dont want either on my team, so dont act like i said its all good as long as its not in the locker room.

Sorry I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.. just asking you to clarify.

So are you worried he's going to choke slam chan? I'm not.. I think those issues are in the past.

Sorry I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.. just asking you to clarify.

So are you worried he's going to choke slam chan? I'm not.. I think those issues are in the past.

no my issue is that he has clear issues with authority, and he does whatever he wants. when he hears "no" he throws fits ranging from sitting and cursing out coaches, violently attacking them, or in this case telling them until you do what i want, film study from last year really isnt doing it for me. he knew not to smoke marijuana and despite a suspension and a known upcoming test at the combine - still was, as another example of the same entitlement and "the rules dont apply to me" problem. he knew violence had gotten him kicked out of HS sports, but was still violent with his COACH at the next level, with his career on the line. potential consequences be damned in all these examples.

whether or not the temper flairs up to violence again, it seems that percy wants what percy wants, and when told no percy is going to act out to get his way instead of working within the system to find something that is reasonable (which, yes, is sometimes just sucking it up).

thats why i keep pairing the words "temper" and "entitlement" -- when he doesnt get what he wants, or someone challenges him, he lashes out. the choke slam example being a show of just how extreme his lashing out can be. that is not a small issue.

its also one that brad childress was notoriously bad at dealing with - and caved to his players often. it makes sense that it wouldnt be going public from early in his career. between the investment, and the personality types around him it would frankly be shocking if short of an arrest anything would be spoken by the vikings. the pattern is there, and there are real reasons to believe its still there - but it seems you are hung up on "come on, everyone makes mistakes when they are young." what im trying to say is not mistakes like this, and that the root problems are still peeking out today.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm usually one who is ok with bringing in one perceived "trouble" player like TO. But Harvin is inconsistent, wants way too much money, and is crying about not getting the ball enough. Bringing him in is like bringing in 5 "trouble" players. No thanks.

no my issue is that he has clear issues with authority, and he does whatever he wants. when he hears "no" he throws fits ranging from sitting and cursing out coaches, violently attacking them, or in this case telling them until you do what i want, film study from last year really isnt doing it for me. he knew not to smoke marijuana and despite a suspension and a known upcoming test at the combine - still was, as another example of the same entitlement and "the rules dont apply to me" problem. he knew violence had gotten him kicked out of HS sports, but was still violent with his COACH at the next level, with his career on the line. potential consequences be damned in all these examples.

whether or not the temper flairs up to violence again, it seems that percy wants what percy wants, and when told no percy is going to act out to get his way instead of working within the system to find something that is reasonable (which, yes, is sometimes just sucking it up).

thats why i keep pairing the words "temper" and "entitlement" -- when he doesnt get what he wants, or someone challenges him, he lashes out. the choke slam example being a show of just how extreme his lashing out can be. that is not a small issue.

its also one that brad childress was notoriously bad at dealing with - and caved to his players often. it makes sense that it wouldnt be going public from early in his career. between the investment, and the personality types around him it would frankly be shocking if short of an arrest anything would be spoken by the vikings. the pattern is there, and there are real reasons to believe its still there - but it seems you are hung up on "come on, everyone makes mistakes when they are young." what im trying to say is not mistakes like this, and that the root problems are still peeking out today.

I never said everyone makes mistakes when they are young. Once again, you keep pointing to problems he had in his past when he was a teenager. Thats fine, I acknowledge those events. What you don't have, is evidence of the same thing while he has been an adult. You can assume that he still has issues with his temper.. buts thats just what you're doing, assuming. I really don't see how the pattern is there. The last incident he had was at the combine. Since then, neither you or me can point to any issues outside of his recent trade request (which seems to stem from playing time link)

So you're saying he cant do anything to change your mind?

I never said everyone makes mistakes when they are young. Once again, you keep pointing to problems he had in his past when he was a teenager. Thats fine, I acknowledge those events. What you don't have, is evidence of the same thing while he has been an adult. You can assume that he still has issues with his temper.. buts thats just what you're doing, assuming. I really don't see how the pattern is there. The last incident he had was at the combine. Since then, neither you or me can point to any issues outside of his recent trade request (which seems to stem from playing time link)

So you're saying he cant do anything to change your mind?

my assertion is as recent as this week - he didnt just request a trade - he made it clear until he got what he wanted, he was only halfway working.

that is the same exact issue. his outburst wasnt violent but it was selfish, and immature and not how a professional handles that.

Gonzales is trying to save face for everyone. This happened and it was an ugly scene. This came from one of the assistance coaches who pulled Harvin off of him. Temper issues? Ok, but the problem is he was /is tiptoed around hence the behavior issues sicne high school. The guy failed multiuple drug tests administered by UF and they were all swept under the table. Meyer's circle was very real and was his undoing at UF, that and Tebow.