Name a Superbowl winning team with a mediocre QB at the helm...

MClem06

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Namath

One big intangible Fitz possesses is leadership. The guy will do anything to win a game and his teammates know it. How many comeback games has he had the last two years? Haters refuse to see it but Fitz is pretty clutch too.

PTR

Guess I got to throw Stevie under the bus to agree with you, but Fitz would've won that Steelers game two years ago and the Jets one last year if SJ could've pulled those in.

But let's not get too revisionist here. The real issue is not whether a mediocre QB can win a Super Bowl; It's whether or not the Bills can win with Fitz. I say yes! :thumbsup:

To defend the Eli listers, I don't think anyone would have called him a great QB before he won his first SuperBowl. IN fact he was very average until he went on the incredible playoff run of three road victories. So yes Eli would have been thought of as average prior to and maybe even after winning his first SB. Now he is in the elite category.

To defend the Eli listers, I don't think anyone would have called him a great QB before he won his first SuperBowl. IN fact he was very average until he went on the incredible playoff run of three road victories. So yes Eli would have been thought of as average prior to and maybe even after winning his first SB. Now he is in the elite category.

I completely agree with this. I mean, I was average prior to dating Kate Upton, but now I'm in the elite category.

Same basic principle.

Tom Brady. When he was winning Super Bowls he was merely a game manager type. His defense and kicker did most of the work. Very mediocre. He's one of the greatest there is now, but he was very average back then.

Big Ben, in his first Super Bowl.

Totally. He Sucked in that game with a capitle S. He got in on QB sneak that shouldn't have counted as he got stopped short. He also threw a pick that was run back a long ways and set up the Seahawks only TD. Willie Parker broke like a 75 yard run and Randle El threw a TD on a WR pass. The Seahawks choked AND there were some bad calls. The Stealer won that SB in spite of Big Ben.

I know so much about this because I was a that game.

Edited by reddogblitz

:lol: So let me get this straight, we have:

Terry Bradshaw

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Bob Griese

Eli Manning

Joe Namath

Ken Stabler

Here, I have a few:

Joe Montana- He was mediocre in his first SB season.

Steve Young- Never could win the big one or get out of Montana's shadow except for one season.

Troy Aikman- Only looked good because he had Emmitt Smith keeping defenses honest and that Cowboy OL keeping him clean.

Shoot, if these guys can win a SB then Fitz definitely has a shot.

Edited by vincec

How in the holy hell can you suggest that Eli Manning is a mediocre quarterback? The dude went to the SB twice, and twice he was nuts-on clutch on the biggest stage in the biggest game, needing to come from behind in the final moments to win it all, only to win MVP in both games.

In 2007, needing a TD to win with 2:30 left in the game, he takes his team down the field to beat a Patrtiots* team that had not lost a game all year.

In 2011, he again drives them down the field in the final minutes to take the lead. This came after knocking off already-anointed Green Bay Packers IN Green Bay (21 of 33 and 3 TDs and a pick).

I understand he's from a NJ team and blah, blah, blah, but to suggest that Eli Manning is mediocre is absolutely ridiculous.The dude is absolutely clutch when you need it most. If we had ONE player like him you'd pee yourself from excitement.

His receivers made the clutch plays, and in Super Bowl XLII, his defense held a Pats* team that AVERAGED 36 points to only 14.

I never said anything about mediocre, but I stand by the "low impact" designation.

His receivers made the clutch plays, and in Super Bowl XLII, his defense held a Pats* team that AVERAGED 36 points to only 14.

I never said anything about mediocre, but I stand by the "low impact" designation.

If you watched either of the two Super Bowl games, I don't see how you can say that Manning was a "low impact" QB. He made numerous clutch plays and ran the Giant offense brilliantly. His performance was a major key not just to their Super Bowl victories but their playoff runs in general. Just because he doesn't throw as much as Brady that doesn't mean that he is low impact. QB is never a "low impact" position in the NFL.

i cant believe eli is on some of those lists. dude gets it done. i would be so stoked if eli was the bills qb.

+1

As someone who is involved in fantasy football more than he should be, I take an annual look at Eli Manning's stats and shudder. He's somewhere in between Matt Moore and John Skeleton on fantasy draft boards (ok, maybe not that bad, but for someone with two rings you think his fantasy stock would be higher). So by that metric I can see why people say he's mediocre, especially because of the way that we now consume the game (fantasy stats on the crawler during games, for one).

But say what you will about his supporting cast (defense, WRs, etc.), I still have to agree with LABillzFan and others that his teams would not have won without a significant contribution from him. Elite may be a bit of a stretch. But he is closer to elite than mediocre.

Big Ben, in his first Super Bowl.

Yeah, he stunk in that game. But he also was super clutch in the playoffs leading up to that Super Bowl, including making one of the greatest defensive plays for a QB I've ever seen (shoe string tackle on Bettis fumble return at the goal line against the Colts in playoffs). And he was super clutch in the super bowl against the Cards, throwing one of the best GW TD passes in Super Bowl history.