Nelson and Chandler down the middle

eball

Dont know how many of you have been watching the Bills Roundup segments, but this week there were a ton of plays in which Fitz was hitting Nelson and Chandler down the middle and it appears this is something they're really working on. It makes sense, too, since you will have Stevie at the "one" and hopefully another guy with outside speed in the base, one back set.

Nothing earth-shattering here; just something I noticed. I believe that lost in all of the "who will be the number two" hand-wringing is the development and improvement of players like Nelson and Chandler.

I've noticed that as well, Eball. Nelson and Chandler appear to be feeding off of each other. That's a really good sign. I've also noticed that our running backs have been on the same page. Fitz and Young appear to be developing some good chemistry with the receivers. I know it's early, but the whole team looks like they mean business.

Anyone know if TJ Grahm has been participating in OTAs? He should get signed soon. Not saying he will, but for his own good, he should. He's got a lot to prove - like holding on to the ball.

TJ was in two highlights Friday; catching a quick slant across the middle, and then catching a deep back shoulder throw from Fitz on the right sideline.

I'm really liking these 2 as deep middle seam guys. Once you get the FS wrapped up in that, the deep side routes open up. Fitz won't need to drop the ball over the CB head and in front of the FS.

Edited by draz54

Dont know how many of you have been watching the Bills Roundup segments, but this week there were a ton of plays in which Fitz was hitting Nelson and Chandler down the middle and it appears this is something they're really working on. It makes sense, too, since you will have Stevie at the "one" and hopefully another guy with outside speed in the base, one back set.

Nothing earth-shattering here; just something I noticed. I believe that lost in all of the "who will be the number two" hand-wringing is the development and improvement of players like Nelson and Chandler.

There's no doubt they can catch.

Last year, both of them had problems with being jammed on the line and failing to get open. It'll be hard to see how much improvement has occurred until we see contact.

I do wish we'd been able to bring in an experienced WR who could help mentor these guys and show them the moves.

Undiscussed since the signing tho is that Pete Metzelaars is now our TE coach. Now that's a guy who should have a few things to share with Chandler, Lee Smith, and Onobun, so lets hope for improvement.

Anyone know anything about this WR coach Bob Bicknell who was the TE coach last year? I know he was a Chan cronie in KC - what's he got to give our WR? Last year I thought they were starting to look better coached as opposed to previous years, but had plenty of room for improvement. Back in the SB run years, I was always impressed by how well coached our WR were, sideline awareness, defending the misfired pass, not muffing in a way that put the ball up for grabs.

Edited by Hopeful

Last year, both of them had problems with being jammed on the line and failing to get open. It'll be hard to see how much improvement has occurred until we see contact.

I do wish we'd been able to bring in an experienced WR who could help mentor these guys and show them the moves.

Undiscussed since the signing tho is that Pete Metzelaars is now our TE coach. Now that's a guy who should have a few things to share with Chandler, Lee Smith, and Onobun, so lets hope for improvement.

Anyone know anything about this guy Bob Bicknell who was the TE coach last year? I know he was a Chan cronie in KC - what's he got to give our WR? Last year I thought they were starting to look better coached as opposed to previous years, but had plenty of room for improvement. Back in the SB run years, I was always impressed by how well coached our WR were, sideline awareness, defending the misfired pass, not muffing in a way that put the ball up for grabs.

Got any specific examples of this? From what I recall, Nelson was used more as a blocker after the OL injuries happened, and Nelson was consistently catching 4 passes a game throughout the season, which weould seem to be the appropriate output from the slot receiver.

Got any specific examples of this? From what I recall, Nelson was used more as a blocker after the OL injuries happened, and Nelson was consistently catching 4 passes a game throughout the season, which weould seem to be the appropriate output from the slot receiver.

It did seem to get harder and harder as the season progressed for Nelson to get open and it did have a lot to do with getting manhandled/jammed up in my opinion.

Not going to find any proof of it in highlights though...

Edited by Fig Newton

This success across the middle was bound to happen, Nelson just needed to mature as a WR. The position Nelson played at UF was exactly what he is doing for Buffalo, he was a slot guy and came up big when they needed him (ex. the National Championship winning TD). But since he wasn't the #1 at UF, he was a raw, young receiver who needed to smooth out some of the edges of his game. I think we saw a glimpse of this last season, and he will be very good, maybe even great, in that position this season!!

This success across the middle was bound to happen, Nelson just needed to mature as a WR. The position Nelson played at UF was exactly what he is doing for Buffalo, he was a slot guy and came up big when they needed him (ex. the National Championship winning TD). But since he wasn't the #1 at UF, he was a raw, young receiver who needed to smooth out some of the edges of his game. I think we saw a glimpse of this last season, and he will be very good, maybe even great, in that position this season!!

I'm with you.

I ordered a Nelson Jersey.

He is playing like a skinny Antonio Gates or a Taller, less quick Wes Welker, or a poor man's Jimmy Graham.

Either way I think Chan sees he has something special. Good Size, Great Hands, ability to get open, seems to be able to handle the pressure of big moments.

I may be overly optimistic but I see something special developing between Fitzy and Nelson.

Throw in a big Chandler parading through the same generally vicinity and defenses will have trouble taking both of these options away.

Big things man.

Nope, sorry. There are (or were) some mid-season interview clips from Nelson talking about getting jammed or double-covered and having trouble getting open on buffalobills.com along with comments from Gailey to the effect of "he just has to learn to deal with it, some guys can and some can't". It may have been more a handful of games than consistantly. ....

Good memory, Nelson caught 61 passes last season which is just about 4 per game on average, but there were several games where he was more productive (10 v Oakland!) and 5 games where he was held to 1 or 2, which matches my memory of not seeing too much of him at times. Hopefully he can "deal".

I don't recall Nelson being used as a blocker so much, and actually while I thought Chandler was used more as a blocker and shared snaps more with Lee Smith (better blocker) at the end of the season), Chandler actually had slightly more receptions at the end of the season. He, too, had 6 games where he caught 1-2 receptions for very minimal yardage and 1 where he was blanked. I would really like to see more receptions out of our TE.

I'm so glad to see Nelson doing as well as he has been since we grabbed him as an UDFA. I've been a Gator fan for years now, and knew the kid had great hands. I'm glad we have a go-to guy for 3rd down conversions, the man doesn't drop passes!

I've noticed that as well, Eball. Nelson and Chandler appear to be feeding off of each other. That's a really good sign. I've also noticed that our running backs have been on the same page. Fitz and Young appear to be developing some good chemistry with the receivers. I know it's early, but the whole team looks like they mean business.

I have the same feeling about this team looking like they mean business. They know the front office really stepped it up this offseason by re-signing guys that deserved it and adding serious pass rushing talent via free agency, so it's up to them now to step it up on the field and be ready for opening day. I really can't wait for opening day and see what this team will look like on the field, especially the defense...Go Bills!!!

Anyone know anything about this WR coach Bob Bicknell who was the TE coach last year? I know he was a Chan cronie in KC - what's he got to give our WR? Last year I thought they were starting to look better coached as opposed to previous years, but had plenty of room for improvement. Back in the SB run years, I was always impressed by how well coached our WR were, sideline awareness, defending the misfired pass, not muffing in a way that put the ball up for grabs.

Not answering your question, but i think Dickerson will be the # 3 and Onubuns will not . not yet anyways.

Metz seems to already have a positive influence.

I'm really liking these 2 as deep middle seam guys. Once you get the FS wrapped up in that, the deep side routes open up. Fitz won't need to drop the ball over the CB head and in front of the FS.

I've been seeing the same things too. It looks like Chandler and Nelson are tying up the middle and allowing for the sideline routes to be single covered or the RB or H-back to be wide open underneath.

It seems like the checkdown is a viable option here. Whoever is coming out of the backfield is working back toward the middle where Chandler and Nelson have cleared out the LBs. Not just chilling in the flat as a last resort like we've seen in the past.

our version of Gronk and Hernandez :thumbsup: