ILB POSITION

Yeah well year after year of a ILB that makes tackles after a 4-5 yd gain gets old. We need a backer that comes up in the hole to make tackles. Is Sheppard this type? Time will tell. I guess thats why the Ray Lewis types are so hard to find. Can`t teach it. It has to be there.

yes, not every lb is in the discussion for greatest of all time for a reason.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here`s our ILBs Kelvin Sheppard

Tank Carder

Scott McKillop

Chris White

Scary isn`t it.

Not scary yet, but could become scary with a bit more seasoning. The word I'd use would be "inexperienced" or "unproven" butchaknow, when building through the draft, it's kind of hard to field a team manned by veterans, isn't it?

I think Shep will be a baller. I think Carder has promise. I think they'll make mistakes this year 'cuz they're young, and they'll improve.

I think you actually meant "scary" as in "frighteningly bad" and I don't agree with you there.

Yeah well year after year of a ILB that makes tackles after a 4-5 yd gain gets old. We need a backer that comes up in the hole to make tackles. Is Sheppard this type? Time will tell. I guess thats why the Ray Lewis types are so hard to find. Can`t teach it. It has to be there.

So you think Mario Williams should not have been signed then. I disagree with your view on Mario Williams.

Shep played in a 4-3 in college. Going back to that and having a full off-season and his rookie year behind him will help a lot.

It`s about the whole ILB core. And yeah until I see Sheppard the leopard bring it. I will be skeptical of his play . Even Kyle Williams commented about his concern of Sheppards developement on running and hitting people.

Link, please? That sounds very uncharacteristic for Kyle to diss or call out a teammate publically.

I watched every game last year,and Sheppard stood out as a glaring weakness.Not shedding blocks,filling holes and yes slow chasing down plays.Shedding blocks and filling holes are things you learn in High School. I can see bad reads and things. But coming up and smacking a rb in the face or using hands and quickness to shed blocks should be there already. I really hope he comes on. I really do.

Funny, I watched every game last year, and the total and complete lack of pass rush stood out to me as a glaring weakness. The inability of the OLBs to cover or set the edge was weakness #2 (any scheme with Spencer Johnson and Chris Kelsay playing OLB is a bad scheme), and the decline in quality of the line when Kyle Williams went out stood out as #3.

The occasional struggles of a rookie ILB playing a new system with no off season were way down the list.

You seem almost personal in your beef with Shep.

If the line is solid

Edited by Hopeful

Link, please? That sounds very uncharacteristic for Kyle to diss or call out a teammate publically.

Funny, thought the same thing. My guess is that he made some sort of general comment and it is taken way out of text. Actually the exact same way another poster said something about the coaching staff assuring Sheppard as being the starter at the end of last year.

Shep played in a 4-3 in college. Going back to that and having a full off-season and his rookie year behind him will help a lot.

I hope . He was a rookie with no exp. He was part of the reason for being one of worst teams against the run. I think Davis was much better against the run. I know about the Kyle injury on the line, and I still think Davis was better. Shep doesn`t run all that good. This was one of the pre draft knocks on him. Out of what we have there at ILB he is the best. But we don`t have much.

I'd need to see a link on that one.

Look on the Kyle Williams on Serius post. There is a little there.

Look on the Kyle Williams on Serius post. There is a little there.

"Mentioned Sheppard a bit in terms of hoping for his development to run and hit."

Yep, sounds like he thinks Sheppard sucks. Do you also think the cashier at the gas station is totally into you because she said, "have a nice day?"

I wouldn't call it scary at all. Maybe a little unproven, but I have high hopes and confidence in Sheppard. I think he did fairly well last year as a rookie, and is more suited for the middle in the 43 since he is more of a "thumper". A 3rd round pick from one of the best defenses coming into his 2nd year, and getting the benefit of playing behind what should be a very good DL... Wouldn't say I'm scared at all.

It's funny, Bills fans have gotten so used to poor drafting that weve forgotten how draft picks are supposed to develop and play. You dont need to use a "name" FA to fill all your spots. Give the kids a chance.

This is soooo true.

Really? You're scared about ILB?

Does that mean you wake up in cold sweats about OLB?

My advice is let the Defense brew. Its still not a finished product.

NO one on the planet knows what's going to happen at OLB, ILB, and depth at D-line.

The only starters we know on Defense are Mario, Kyle, Darius, Gilmore.

The rest of the Defensive starters are question marks. BYRD and Wilson will probably come out as starters but Searcy and Scott will see significant PT.

Other CB is a ? Nickle is a ?

BARNETT IS likely the starting OLB and Shep is likely MLB. But if Sheppard struggles then Barnett will be MLB.

Then it comes to the long list of DE/OLB depth on the team. Some guys will rise to the top in the 4-3 some will fail and get cut.

NO ONE knows right now in June.

And honestly it probably wont be settled until October, best case.

So lets sit back and watch pre-season before we get scared or terrified.

There is lots of young unproven talent on Defense and guess what? This is exactly where you want to be in year 3 of a complete franchise rebuild.

You actually have NFL worthy bodies, now lets see who has NFL quality execution and who can survive NFL quality competition.

I agree with most of what you said but can you learn how paragraphs work?

<br> "Mentioned Sheppard a bit in terms of hoping for his development to run and hit."

Wow, expressing hope that a rookie will further develop really sounds like expressing concern about Sheppard's development and abilities as an ILB - especially since what we have here is someone's notes/impressions and not what Kyle actually said.

Do keep in mind that Linebacker City down in Pittsburgh, claims they don't start trusting LB to really play consistently until about year 3. That sounds about right. A guy has to have the system and his role seep into him until he can just REACT and not have to think consciously, which slows him down.

Edited by Hopeful

Yep, sounds like he thinks Sheppard sucks. Do you also think the cashier at the gas station is totally into you because she said, "have a nice day?"

Just like I said run and Hit. Hoping . His weakness running and hitting. Didn`t say he will be a force this year. Didn`t say we were solid in the middle with him. Just said he was hoping for Shep to get better at running and hitting. Like I said before I too hope he gets better,since he is the pick to start.

It`s about the whole ILB core. And yeah until I see Sheppard the leopard bring it. I will be skeptical of his play . Even Kyle Williams commented about his concern of Sheppards developement on running and hitting people. I watched every game last year,and Sheppard stood out as a glaring weakness.Not shedding blocks,filling holes and yes slow chasing down plays.Shedding blocks and filling holes are things you learn in High School. I can see bad reads and things. But coming up and smacking a rb in the face or using hands and quickness to shed blocks should be there already. I really hope he comes on. I really do.

Link?

Wow, expressing hope that a rookie will further develop really sounds like expressing concern about Sheppard's development and abilities as an ILB - especially since what we have here is someone's notes/impressions and not what Kyle actually said.

Do keep in mind that Linebacker City down in Pittsburgh, claims they don't start trusting LB to really play consistently until about year 3. That sounds about right. A guy has to have the system and his role seep into him until he can just REACT and not have to think consciously, which slows him down.

Last year's abbreviated preseason didn't help, either.

WHAT were Sheppards weakness coming out of colledge? Pre draft scouting report?

Only knock on him was that he's not a great one-on-one cover guy. I'd see him as a solid 1st-2nd down guy, being replaced perhaps by Bryan Scott.

Only knock on him was that he's not a great one-on-one cover guy. I'd see him as a solid 1st-2nd down guy, being replaced perhaps by Bryan Scott.

From the sites I seen ,just now the bads were as not aggressive,not good at reads, not good at coverage, not physical,doesn`t shed blocks.More bad than good.These are things I saw last year. So keep on ripping. I call it like I see it. He needs alot of work,lets see how this staff coaches him up. Like I said .If he is our pick I want him to do well. Look him up on google or yahoo, for his scouting reports. Go Bills geesh. I still think no exp at this ILB core is risky.

Did scott get cut somewhere and I dont know about it?

We are going to be playing with more safeties then linebackers a bunch of the time.....book it

We have 2 veterans manning the outside spots.....and a promising young linebacker manning the middle

Cool story about your son......but you cannot be all pro at every position