ILB POSITION

From the sites I seen ,just now the bads were as not aggressive,not good at reads, not good at coverage, not physical,doesn`t shed blocks.More bad than good.These are things I saw last year. So keep on ripping. I call it like I see it. He needs alot of work,lets see how this staff coaches him up. Like I said .If he is our pick I want him to do well. Look him up on google or yahoo, for his scouting reports. Go Bills geesh. I still think no exp at this ILB core is risky.

Yet the Bills elected not to bring back Andra Davis and Reggie Torbor. Try again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet the Bills elected not to bring back Andra Davis and Reggie Torbor. Try again.

I liked Davis against the run. Got rid of him because of age. Torbor I didn`t like at all. Did you read Shep`s reviews ? The Negs were dead on from what I saw last year.

Andra Davis was a shadow of his former self when last he played.

The Bills had him in short-yardage defensive packages for a while and I recall him whiffing on ball carriers a couple of times… almost like he was avoiding contact which runs counter to the reputation he always had as a collision linebacker.

One thing that Chixley mentioned about Shep last year is that he came in at around 275 pounds but because of the evolution to more 4-3 looks, they encouraged him to lose weight and by season's end he was down to about 240.

Sorry no link but I believe that many others here inevitably read the same piece.

Went looking for that link on Shep's weight.

Haven't found it yet but I did find this video of The Thurman Thomas show where Thurman breaks down some video of Shep's 14 tackle performance in week 15 against the Chargers last year.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Week-15-Film-Session-Kelvin-Sheppard/5861761e-810b-4573-8c26-32c01c991845

The Bills had him in short-yardage defensive packages for a while and I recall him whiffing on ball carriers a couple of times… almost like he was avoiding contact which runs counter to the reputation he always had as a collision linebacker.

One thing that Chixley mentioned about Shep last year is that he came in at around 275 pounds but because of the evolution to more 4-3 looks, they encouraged him to lose weight and by season's end he was down to about 240.

Sorry no link but I believe that many others here inevitably read the same piece.

Haven't found it yet but I did find this video of The Thurman Thomas show where Thurman breaks down some video of Shep's 14 tackle performance in week 15 against the Chargers last year.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Week-15-Film-Session-Kelvin-Sheppard/5861761e-810b-4573-8c26-32c01c991845

All I can say is with that D-line in front of him and he struggles or we struggle against the run up the gut,a change will happen. Who then will step in? What if he gets hurt? I still would like a vet ILB around.

Pro Football Focus (PFF) analyzes each play of each game for each player and assigns point values on each play.

PFF Premium Version has Sheppard 5th on the team in overall defense after Dareus, Byrd, Barnett, and Kelsay.

In Run Defense, Sheppard is ranked #1 above #2 Barnett and #3 Kelsay.

In Pass Rush, only 8 Bills rank above a 0.0 rating. Shep is #6 behind Dareus, Kelsay, Moats, Davis, & Heard.

I suspect that he'll be in the #5/#6 range next year behind Williams, Williams, Dareus, & Kelsay/Merriman.

In Pass Defense, he ranks 5th from the bottom. Drayton Florence was below him with Reggie Corner, Aaron Williams, and George Wilson. A better pass rush will improve Sheppard's, Williams' and Wilson's standing. Either that or Bryan Scott will be in there for obvious passing downs.

All I can say is with that D-line in front of him and he struggles or we struggle against the run up the gut,a change will happen. Who then will step in? What if he gets hurt? I still would like a vet ILB around.

You keep saying that but all the while you're ignoring that both Barnett and Morrison both have quite a bit of experience in the middle and could slide over if need be.

Who would you suggest gets cut to make room for the vet LB you want to bring in? As it stands now there are already going to be some tough decisions.

In general, I'd prefer to keep younger guys that are already being developed in-house.

Bills LB's did just fine last year, and will do even better with Wanny's 4-3 and some more rush from the D-Line. Last year, Bills LB's had positive ratings from Pro Football Focus for the most part. LB's are listed in order of strength of rating. MLB/ILB is in bold, negative performances in parentheses:

LB's PFF Positive in Week 1 (Chiefs): Barnett, Sheppard, Davis

LB's PFF Positive in Week 2 (Oak): Kelsay, Barnett, Davis, Batten (Shep DNP)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 3 (NEP*): Davis (Shep DNP)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 4 (Cincy): Davis (Shep DNP, Barnett was neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 5 (Philly): Moats, Barnett, Sheppard, Davis

LB's PFF Positive in Week 6 (NYGiants): Batten, Barnett, Moats (Shep and Davis neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 8 (Wash): Moats, Morrison, Barnett, Sheppard

LB's PFF Positive in Week 9 (Jets): Sheppard, Batten

LB's PFF Positive in Week 10 (Cowboys): Barnett, Coleman (Batten, Moats, Shep neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 11 (Fins): Barnett, Sheppard, Moats, Morrison, Batten (no neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 12 (Jets): Kelsay, Barnett, Davis (Sheppard, Moats neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 13 (Titans): Barnett, Sheppard, Davis (Kelsay neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 14 (Chargers): Kelsay, Barnett, Sheppard, (Moats, Davis neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 15 (Fins): Sheppard, Davis, Moats, Morrison (Barnett neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 16 (Broncos): Kelsay, Morrison, Sheppard, Davis (Barnett neg)

LB's PFF Positive in Week 17 (NEP*): Davis, Barnett (Shep, Morrison, Kelsay neg)

Edited by Astrobot

Funny, thought the same thing. My guess is that he made some sort of general comment and it is taken way out of text. Actually the exact same way another poster said something about the coaching staff assuring Sheppard as being the starter at the end of last year.

Ok ... this may not be my favorite source of reference material but I know that I read other quotes from either Gailey, Nix or Wannstedt but Sheppard is the 2012 starter

There are never total guarantees but coming out of the 2011 season in January to state that he is your guy to me is not quite out of context ...

From the sites I seen ,just now the bads were as not aggressive,not good at reads, not good at coverage, not physical,doesn`t shed blocks.More bad than good.These are things I saw last year. So keep on ripping. I call it like I see it. He needs alot of work,lets see how this staff coaches him up. Like I said .If he is our pick I want him to do well. Look him up on google or yahoo, for his scouting reports. Go Bills geesh. I still think no exp at this ILB core is risky.

Asking for links and stating a different opinion is not ripping on you - unless you think everyone who disagrees with you is ripping on you?

It might help your credibility if you provided a few links to all these negative reviews yourself

Once again - what do you think "building through the draft" means? I think it means that by definition (gasp!) not every position will be manned by a quality experienced veteran. A number will be manned by rookies and 2nd year guys. In a good world, they will be bracketed by experienced, quality veterans - you know, kinda like Shep bracketed by Morrison and Barnett

Bills LB's did just fine last year, and will do even better with Wanny's 4-3 and some more rush from the D-Line.

Astro, I respect your statistical work and draft work. The bottom line, though, is performance.

The Bills had no pass rush last year (27th in the league in sacks), which is the job of the LB in a 3-4. They were 30th in D on points given up.

Their run D gave up 232 ypg, which is 19th in the league.

How can you reconcile those facts with the statement "Bills LBs did just fine last year"?

We are all HOPEFUL that the change to a 4-3, the FA acquisitions and the return of Williams, possibly Merriman, will make a difference and the LB will play better as 4-3 LB with an improved DL in fromt of them.

But that's a different matter from saying they did just fine last year. By the measures that count (team performance, points given up), they really didn't.

The coaches seem to feel he is going to be very good at MLB... Shepard has two experienced linebackers working along side of him and possible 4 all pros on the defensive line with solid backups... The defense in total has a strong look about it this year ... injuries have hurt the Bills in the past and hopefully that is not a big problem this year.... it's looking really good on the defensive side of the ball... It will make the Offense a lot stronger..... Can't wait till the season starts ....

http://www.buffalobi...26-32c01c991845

Nice find, SJBF. He looks like he has good instincts. A little more experience should allow him to be more aggressive.

Hate to tell you but Sheppard is going to be one incredible MLB. If you noticed at the end of last season he was one of just a couple of players guaranteed their position by the coaching staff. He took over the middle in that messed up defense last year without the benefits of OTA's plus with that early season injury.

When you throw in the D-line he will be playing behind and with Barnett at his side ... he is going to just continue to improve. I like Chris White as a #2 MLB in college and last year's preseason he seemed to have the skill set that is needed. Plus now we have THE TANK!

It's time to just sit back and celebrate that we are going to finally have an awesome defense, which will mean our offense will be that much better!

This sounds about right.

Coaching staff seems sold on shep as MLB, without hesitation or second thoughts. Maybe they notice something TSW missed....

Are you kidding, if the Bills Management listened to this board they would have won at least seven Super Bowls by now!! :devil:

Shep came in at 275#? I find that hard to believe. I know Dareus came in about 350 since they told him he'd be playing NT, but that's a lot of weight for a LB'er.