Marcus Easley

Stevie, Nelson, Hagan emerge from camp as the top three, Chandler has major numbers as primary TE target, Graham gets worked in for the Roscoe stuff and to stretch the field.

Thats my prediction. I think Hagan has better hands than Easley, more experience, tough, he plays like he hates everyone out there.

I'm on this too.

Hagan will emerge as the #2. I'd put money on it. Nelson will have some good numbers again too. He can't be covered by a LB and can't be covered by a Saftey and seems to have a good relationship with Fitz. I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson finishes second in yards and TDs. Chandler #1 in TDs. SJ13 #1 in Yards and Nelson coming in second at both.

They will flex Graham out, he won't be just a slot receiver. He will also probably come in for Hagan in some packages. I think he will be used slightly differently than Roscoe, but yeah basically agree that you can call it "Roscoe stuff" or "T.O. stuff when we had T.O" or "Donald Jones" stuff when we thought Donald Jones might be fast, or "Lee Evans Stuff." When we need someone to run a fly route they'll try to run that with Graham. So I guess I would call it "Lee Evans and Roscoe Stuff."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - I think Graham will take over the role that Gailey designed for Roscoe, and when the Bills moved up to get him I think it only showed how badly Roscoe's injury hurt Gailey's ability to call the plays he wanted to call. Our offense was much more dynamic when Roscoe was in the game. I remember clearly the first year Gailey took over and everyone was saying, "wow, finally someone who can use Roscoe's talents" - but, he couldn't stay healthy. Anyway, I think Graham will fall into that role very smoothly and looks to be enough larger in stature that staying healthy shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Add to all that a legitimate #2 WR like Easley, for instance, and this offense could be a nightmare - should absolutely be a nightmare - for opponents, simply because we should make stopping the run the primary focus for our opponents, and with all the passing weapons (if developed and playing as we're hoping) our opposition should suffer from one or the other. This is going to be a fun season!

Edited by sllib olaffub

I just have to wonder what kind of "heart ailment" he could have had that only sidelined him for a year. Major surgery and rehab is one thing, but issues with the ticker are serious business. Any more medically inclined TBDers have any ideas? To my knowledge, exactly what he had going on was never made public, right?

I just have to wonder what kind of "heart ailment" he could have had that only sidelined him for a year. Major surgery and rehab is one thing, but issues with the ticker are serious business. Any more medically inclined TBDers have any ideas? To my knowledge, exactly what he had going on was never made public, right?

Arrhythmia or heart valve problem

You're correct, exactly what he had was never disclosed.

Speculation is something like myocarditis (nflamed heart muscle) secondary to food poisoning (campylobacter or the like). It is rare, and requires treatment (sometimes over several months) to avoid long term damage, and rest to avoid straining the heart until the condition resolves. It can cause cardiomyopathy (permanent damage to the heart muscle). If recovery is complete without detectable damage to the heart muscle or arrhythmias, there would be no reason to expect further problems........so long as the patient stays away from poorly cooked chicken wings moving forward. I would expect, no worries there.

But this is speculation... the gouge at the time was that Easley was seen participating in a chicken wing eating contest, had contracted food poisoning, and then subsequently developed heart problems.

I believe Chan and co. really like what they see in Ruvell Martin

ST guy. Did not play well as a WR at the end of last season.

Given how fast the injuries piled up combined with Chan's love of the 4 WR set, I think we see at least 8 plus Brad Smith.

The smart strategy for the young guys is to go hard on ST and show versatility, the #4 guys and above have to show something on ST.

Edited by Hopeful

Yeah - I think Graham will take over the role that Gailey designed for Roscoe, and when the Bills moved up to get him I think it only showed how badly Roscoe's injury hurt Gailey's ability to call the plays he wanted to call. Our offense was much more dynamic when Roscoe was in the game.

Not very. They lost every game he played that year and Gailey let him go this off season.

You're correct, exactly what he had was never disclosed.

Speculation is something like myocarditis (nflamed heart muscle) secondary to food poisoning (campylobacter or the like). It is rare, and requires treatment (sometimes over several months) to avoid long term damage, and rest to avoid straining the heart until the condition resolves. It can cause cardiomyopathy (permanent damage to the heart muscle). If recovery is complete without detectable damage to the heart muscle or arrhythmias, there would be no reason to expect further problems........so long as the patient stays away from poorly cooked chicken wings moving forward. I would expect, no worries there.

But this is speculation... the gouge at the time was that Easley was seen participating in a chicken wing eating contest, had contracted food poisoning, and then subsequently developed heart problems.

Easley was fine right up until before game 1. It's not clear he was even hospitalized. Acute myocarditis (campylobacter is an extremely rare cause) is usually a toxic condition. Easley was attending meeting with the team within weeks. My guess is as someone above posted. He developed an arrhythmia in practice right before the start of the season and the medical staff freaked. They tossed him on IR (4 days later) likely before his cardiac workup was complete. His condition was obviously benign but they were stuck with him on IR by the time they figured that out.

Given how fast the injuries piled up combined with Chan's love of the 4 WR set, I think we see at least 8 plus Brad Smith.

The smart strategy for the young guys is to go hard on ST and show versatility, the #4 guys and above have to show something on ST.

Way off, six at most and Brad Smith.

Stevie, Graham, Nelson, Hagan, (SMITH but listed as 3rd QB) and then Aiken, Jones, Easley, Martin, Roosevelt, Clowny or Session for the final 2....

My guess of that would be Easley and Jones with then Aiken and Session hitting the practice squad.

Way off, six at most and Brad Smith.

Stevie, Graham, Nelson, Hagan, (SMITH but listed as 3rd QB) and then Aiken, Jones, Easley, Martin, Roosevelt, Clowny or Session for the final 2....

My guess of that would be Easley and Jones with then Aiken and Session hitting the practice squad.

You're forgetting the starting #2 WR Derek Hagan

Edited by Why So Serious?

Agreed. I think we keep 6 WR's plus Brad Smith as third QB. Johnson, Nelson, and Graham will definitely make the team. Jones and Easley are probable. The sixth spot will likely go to either Martin for his special teams skills, one of the undrafted no-namers who steps up in preseason, or Hagan/surprise veteran free agent cut from another team.

Edited by Mark Miller

These are all of Easley's plays last preseason, the only plays we've seen from him except training camp and the reports (and hype) that come out of it.

I did this to evaluate the "hands of stone" comments I've read. I see one fumble on a play called back, and 6 incompletions, 2 of which note a pass breakup and another listed as overthrown.

I've bolded the incompletions, touchdown and returns/catches over 20 yards to allow the bigger plays to stand out more. Overall it looks like a mixed bag, but shows him getting better as PS went on and getting more time with RF and the starters.

2011 Preseason

Week 1 vs Bears

*9-R.Gould kicks 62 yards from CHI 35 to BUF 3. 81-M.Easley to BUF 27 for 24 yards (21-C.Graham). Bears kicked off from the CHI 30.

*9-R.Gould kicks 60 yards from CHI 35 to BUF 5. 81-M.Easley to BUF 25 for 20 yards (81-S.Hurd). FUMBLES (81-S.Hurd), RECOVERED by CHI-20-C.Steltz at BUF 27. 20-C.Steltz to BUF 25 for 2 yards. PENALTY on CHI-81-S.Hurd, Illegal Formation, 10 yards, enforced at CHI 35 - No Play. Bears kicked off from the CHI 30.

*9-R.Gould kicks 50 yards from CHI 30 to BUF 20. 81-M.Easley pushed ob at BUF 29 for 9 yards (21-C.Graham). Bears kicked off from the CHI 25.

*2-9-BUF 30 (7:11) (Shotgun) 16-B.Smith pass incomplete short left to 81-M.Easley.

*9-R.Gould kicks 67 yards from CHI 35 to BUF -2. 81-M.Easley to BUF 22 for 24 yards (25-R.Jones).

Week 2 vs Broncos

3rd quarter:

*3-S.Hauschka kicks 64 yards from DEN 35 to BUF 1. 81-M.Easley, Touchback.

*2-8-DEN 36 (12:18) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 81-M.Easley to DEN 14 for 22 yards (32-P.Cox).

*1-10-DEN 35 (6:28) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete deep middle to 81-M.Easley (28-Q.Carter).

*2-10-DEN 35 (6:22) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short right to 81-M.Easley to DEN 12 for 23 yards (22-S.Thompson).

Week 3 vs Jacksonville

*2-5-JAC 45 (8:58) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short left to 81-M.Easley (21-D.Cox). Receiver and breakup near sideline at JAC 37. PENALTY on BUF-38-C.McIntyre, Chop Block, 15 yards, enforced at JAC 45 - No Play

*2-7-BUF 21 (:40) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to 81-M.Easley to BUF 34 for 13 yards (21-D.Cox). Caught at BUF 32, crossing from left.

*2-7-50 (13:44) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to 81-M.Easley pushed ob at JAC 35 for 15 yards (27-R.Mathis). Caught along sideline at JAC 35.

*1-10-JAC 35 (13:22) (No Huddle) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to 81-M.Easley to JAC 32 for 3 yards (51-P.Posluszny). Curl pattern, caught at JAC 32.

*1-10-JAC 11 (9:55) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to 81-M.Easley for 11 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 2 yds. into end zone (2nd Quarter)

*1-10-BUF 45 (2:07) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short left to 81-M.Easley (26-D.Landry). Receiver and breakup near sideline at JAC 40

*10-J.Scobee kicks 74 yards from JAC 35 to BUF -9. 81-M.Easley, Touchback.

*1-10-BUF 20 (8:19) (Shotgun) 4-T.Thigpen pass short left to 81-M.Easley to BUF 29 for 9 yards (20-T.Wheatley, 50-R.Allen). Screen pass, caught at BUF 20.

*1-10-BUF 33 (7:07) 4-T.Thigpen pass incomplete short right to 81-M.Easley. Overthrown, receiver in flat at BUF 35.

*2-10-BUF 12 (5:27) 4-T.Thigpen pass short right to 81-M.Easley to BUF 19 for 7 yards (37-K.Rutland; 56-K.Bosworth). Caught at BUF 17. PENALTY on BUF-75-C.Hairston, Illegal Use of Hands, 6 yards, enforced at BUF 12 - No Play.

*10-J.Scobee kicks 67 yards from JAC 35 to BUF -2. 81-M.Easley to BUF 32 for 34 yards (20-T.Wheatley).

Week 4 vs Lions

*2-8-BUF 39 (8:17) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to 81-M.Easley. Screen pass, dropped at BUF 37.

*4-J.Hanson kicks 69 yards from DET 35 to BUF -4. 81-M.Easley to BUF 20 for 24 yards (24-E.Coleman).

*4-1-BUF 29 (3:44) 8-B.Moorman punts 58 yards to DET 13, Center-65-G.Sanborn. 86-N.Hughes to DET 23 for 10 yards (81-M.Easley). Return credited to DET 14 (spot of foul). PENALTY on DET-32-A.Berry, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 7 yards, enforced at DET 14.

*4-J.Hanson kicks 69 yards from DET 35 to BUF -4. 81-M.Easley to BUF 42 for 46 yards (4-J.Hanson).

Edited by Matt in KC

Everyone seems to have the same hope. I didn't think Easley was particularly impressive in the preseason last year. He was getting open but his hands seemed rather stone like. If you fail to convert a certain first down you can be out of this league pretty quick. Aiken seemed to have better natural ball skills than Easley but there had to be a reason Martin and other journeymen were getting into the games before him.

I've liked the little clips of Fitzy at the OTAs. Spiral looks much nicer.

agreed, i like what little i have seen too.

Martin is ST guy and might be forced out with our draft picks needing a roster spot. Aiken did not show as well as i hoped nor has our young Roosevelt.

Jones is here for his size that did not work out as well as hoped last year.

One of our weaknesses has been YAC. I think a lot of thats on Fitz still, but most of these guys will have to show alot more to convince me they can really play. as i said before.

Johnson is no doubt. Nelson and Chandler, the pass catching TE, are good at catching for redzone or First down but wont break anything. Still i think they are starting. Who will be #2 though?

Hagan is an interesting call. i can imagine him doing well this year. Graham will develop in time and be Chan friendly. The rest remain to be seen.

Hope fully the play book can open up with all the options and the offseason to evaluate. And at least one or two will step up noticeably.

There is a big opportunity here for one of these guys right now

Easley was fine right up until before game 1. It's not clear he was even hospitalized. Acute myocarditis (campylobacter is an extremely rare cause) is usually a toxic condition. Easley was attending meeting with the team within weeks. My guess is as someone above posted. He developed an arrhythmia in practice right before the start of the season and the medical staff freaked. They tossed him on IR (4 days later) likely before his cardiac workup was complete. His condition was obviously benign but they were stuck with him on IR by the time they figured that out.

I used the term "myocarditis" not "acute myocardities" (see below - not all myocarditis is a toxic condition requiring hospitalization or precluding low-effort activities such as attending meetings). Arrhythmias are a symptom, especially in young healthy men. One would want to determine the cause of the symptoms. Myocarditis is one cause of arrhythmias. A problem with heart valves, to my knowledge, is not something that would typically resolve in a manner that would clear an athlete to return to an insanely physically demanding sport such as pro football.

I'd like to understand the basis of your dissing of the Bills medical staff as fundamentally incompetent ("freaked" "tossed him on IR" "before his cardiac workup was complete" "stuck with him on IR")

It really doesn't take that long for a competent group of physicians to complete a cardiac workup on a priority patient with good health care.

It's much simpler to believe that Easley had a significant medical condition that required rest and treatment, but that resolved without complications and is not expected to recur.

Web medical misinformation is endemic, but the Mayo Clinic website is pretty good. (Emphasis is mine)

In mild cases, myocarditis may have no noticeable symptoms. You may feel ill and have general symptoms of a viral infection and never realize your heart is affected.

In serious cases, the signs and symptoms of myocarditis vary, depending on the cause of the disease. Common myocarditis symptoms include:

• Chest pain
  • A rapid or abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia)
  • Shortness of breath, at rest or during physical activity
  • Fluid retention with swelling of your legs, ankles and feet
  • Fatigue
  • Other signs and symptoms you'd have with a viral infection, such as a headache, body aches, joint pain, fever, a sore throat or diarrhea

<..........>

If myocarditis is causing heart failure or rapid or irregular heartbeats as a symptom, your doctor may hospitalize you.

I used the term "myocarditis" not "acute myocardities" (see below - not all myocarditis is a toxic condition requiring hospitalization or precluding low-effort activities such as attending meetings). Arrhythmias are a symptom, especially in young healthy men. One would want to determine the cause of the symptoms. Myocarditis is one cause of arrhythmias. A problem with heart valves, to my knowledge, is not something that would typically resolve in a manner that would clear an athlete to return to an insanely physically demanding sport such as pro football.

I'd like to understand the basis of your dissing of the Bills medical staff as fundamentally incompetent ("freaked" "tossed him on IR" "before his cardiac workup was complete" "stuck with him on IR")

It really doesn't take that long for a competent group of physicians to complete a cardiac workup on a priority patient with good health care.

It's much simpler to believe that Easley had a significant medical condition that required rest and treatment, but that resolved without complications and is not expected to recur.

Web medical misinformation is endemic, but the Mayo Clinic website is pretty good. (Emphasis is mine)

In mild cases, myocarditis may have no noticeable symptoms. You may feel ill and have general symptoms of a viral infection and never realize your heart is affected.

In serious cases, the signs and symptoms of myocarditis vary, depending on the cause of the disease. Common myocarditis symptoms include:

• Chest pain
  • A rapid or abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia)
  • Shortness of breath, at rest or during physical activity
  • Fluid retention with swelling of your legs, ankles and feet
  • Fatigue
  • Other signs and symptoms you'd have with a viral infection, such as a headache, body aches, joint pain, fever, a sore throat or diarrhea

<..........>

If myocarditis is causing heart failure or rapid or irregular heartbeats as a symptom, your doctor may hospitalize you.

Good question. They've been right far more than they've been wrong. But if I had to guess, it's because they cleared Merriman and he got injured. Silly, I know, but that's WEO for you.

And without knowing what really happened to him and what was done to treat him, I won't speculate on the medical staff's treatment of him. I haven't heard Easley or his agent claim that they put him on IR too quickly.

Good question. They've been right far more than they've been wrong. But if I had to guess, it's because they cleared Merriman and he got injured. Silly, I know, but that's WEO for you.

And without knowing what really happened to him and what was done to treat him, I won't speculate on the medical staff's treatment of him. I haven't heard Easley or his agent claim that they put him on IR too quickly.

Respect the lack of speculation. The gossip I'd heard at the time was he'd been in an eating contest, got food poisoning, then the heart issue developed. Mild enough to let him attend meetings within a month or six weeks, and eventually be cleared to play, serious enough to preclude him playing that fall. Not too many guesses that fit, but of course the starting scenario is only gossip.

Who knows what happened with Merriman. I think the bottom line is that it's easier to suck it up and perform during an exam, than it is to do so play after play in practice or in a game.

I also don't know what level of invasiveness/thoroughness in medical exams is standard practice to allow prior to closing a deal. Football is business. In business license proceedings, the standard practice is to allow access to sufficient information that the prospective licensor can perform a reasonable assessment of the buisness value, but full information is not disclosed without a deal. So it woudn't surprise me if the medical exams that can be performed before signing a deal are somewhat limited. In any event, by coming here and talking us up I think Merriman enabled us to sign Barnett, Morrison, and perhaps influenced SuperMario and Anderson. If that's the case, he's earned his salt and done his part to turn the franchise around.

I don't think he will make it anymore in the NFL. Hope I'm wrong and he's a stud but the window is closed. Just my opinion.

I think it's tough to be out of anything for 2 years then come back. It's tougher if you were never doing it at that level in the first place.

These are all of Easley's plays last preseason, the only plays we've seen from him except training camp and the reports (and hype) that come out of it.

I did this to evaluate the "hands of stone" comments I've read. I see one fumble on a play called back, and 6 incompletions, 2 of which note a pass breakup and another listed as overthrown.

I've bolded the incompletions, touchdown and returns/catches over 20 yards to allow the bigger plays to stand out more. Overall it looks like a mixed bag, but shows him getting better as PS went on and getting more time with RF and the starters.

This is great, Matt - thanks for taking the time to do this.

Think the reason allot like Easley, including me, is he gets open often when gets his chances in practice and in preseason. Tough to judge how well that translates to the regular season till he actually gets a chance to compete there however.

I personally don't think he wins the 2nd wr spot out of training camp, due to being away from the game for so many years, and not having ton of exp before missing all that time. I do see him seeing the field allot however, and would not be surprised at all if he was 2nd on team in receptions by end of year because of his apparent ability to get open.

Fitz has seemed to click with him in practice as well, which bodes well for getting his chances if can stay healthy this year.

Edited by rstencel

Aiken really impressed in camp and the preseason last year. It's not clear why he was not on the field more late in a clearly losing season. It'll certainly be interesting in any case.

I agree. Kamar Aiken is a guy I'll be watching very closely this pre-season.