Marcus Easley

Marcus is my big hope this year.We know he is a great athlete but has been unfortunate with injuries.The bills are looking for a no.2 wideout and he could be the man.Hopefully Graham works out too to stretch the field.Any thoughts?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to have the same hope. I didn't think Easley was particularly impressive in the preseason last year. He was getting open but his hands seemed rather stone like. If you fail to convert a certain first down you can be out of this league pretty quick. Aiken seemed to have better natural ball skills than Easley but there had to be a reason Martin and other journeymen were getting into the games before him.

Easley is big, fast, strong but has very little experience at both the NFL level and College level. Yes, he has the tools, but it is a matter of putting it all together in order to be successful in the NFL. Remember this, there were a bunch of WR's everyone (most) wanted Buffalo to draft rounds 1-7 and a bunch of those guys had the same characteristics as Easley. Now, that happens every year, as a matter of fact, Buffalo has another "Easley" on the roster in Hagan. Hagan basically has the same frame (maybe a little lighter) but a way more productive college career on a much bigger stage. He was taken in the 3rd round and really has not been able to solidify himself in the NFL. Hagan is an example and one of many WR's along the same lines. Another perfect example is the year that Buffalo took Hardy, Pittsburg took Sweed and the Redskins took Kelly. As you may recall everyone pretty much wanted Sweed or Kelly but Buffalo ended up with Hardy. In the end did it really matter? All 3 were spectacular college WR's at big time programs (IU is at least Big Ten) and all 3 have failed miserably in the NFL. Again, this happens every year and will continue to do so. Heck, look at this year and Buffalo's 3rd round pick. A very RAW WR with speed who not many had going before round 6 or 7. Not many people are giving TJ Graham much more credit other than his speed and Graham is a Fresh 3rd round pick vs Easley as a stale (2 years on IR) 4th round pick. He is a project, maybe a little bit of a reach, but that seems to be what it takes to find your NFL caliber WR's. A team needs to have a bunch in the hopes that 1 or 2 can actually be productive enough to help the team win. In Easley Buffalo took a flier on an athletic WR who was a little under the radar due to low production in college. They had/have the hope that he could maybe transition his athletic ability to the NFL but really cannot tell since he keeps landing on the IR. At this point Easley is no different than all 40 WR's that were taken this year, last year, the year before, etc.

Now, I am a huge fan and of course want Easley to succeed and be the best he can be. I hope he turns into an All Pro WR and Buffalo is set at the position for years to come. However I believe I am on the side of "Logical Optimisim" vs. "Delusional Placement". Unfortunately I believe many fans think Easley is the answer due to the fact they have kept him around, the fact he was a Buffalo draft pick and that his characteristics are more apparent since he was broken down a ton on draft day. Lets just hope he can put it all together on the NFL field.

Edited by Booger

Everyone seems to have the same hope. I didn't think Easley was particularly impressive in the preseason last year. He was getting open but his hands seemed rather stone like. If you fail to convert a certain first down you can be out of this league pretty quick. Aiken seemed to have better natural ball skills than Easley but there had to be a reason Martin and other journeymen were getting into the games before him.

As much as I liked many of Easley's intangibles I have to agree that there were times during that preseason where I remember him trying to catch with his body and fighting the ball.

That being said, he was always pretty raw as a receiver and there was enough there in the Bills practice sessions prior to the preseason games to move him up the depth charts and keep the coaches interested, so I am hopeful that he can come back and be a player. It would make for a good come-back story if it did actually happen.

I think I must have a differ perception from others. My recollection is he was hurt early in the preaseason his first year in the league. Then last year when there was basically no training camp and OTAs he had 2 decent preseason games. I happened to be at the Denver game because my brother lives there and he did a good job of separating and made the catches that he could. Then next was the Jacksonville game in which he also looked very good where he was 5/51 yds and a TD. Unfortunately after that he was shutdown with the heart ailment.

To me, from the limited times that I seen him, he's big,fast and runs sharp routes. I don't recall him having stone hands, too be honest I seen Stevie drop a helavu lot of easy catches and we know just how good he is.

Easley is big, fast, strong but has very little experience at both the NFL level and College level. Yes, he has the tools, but it is a matter of putting it all together in order to be successful in the NFL. Remember this, there were a bunch of WR's everyone (most) wanted Buffalo to draft rounds 1-7 and a bunch of those guys had the same characteristics as Easley. Now, that happens every year, as a matter of fact, Buffalo has another "Easley" on the roster in Hagan. Hagan basically has the same frame (maybe a little lighter) but a way more productive college career on a much bigger stage. He was taken in the 3rd round and really has not been able to solidify himself in the NFL. Hagan is an example and one of many WR's along the same lines. Another perfect example is the year that Buffalo took Hardy, Pittsburg took Sweed and the Redskins took Kelly. As you may recall everyone pretty much wanted Sweed or Kelly but Buffalo ended up with Hardy. In the end did it really matter? All 3 were spectacular college WR's at big time programs (IU is at least Big Ten) and all 3 have failed miserably in the NFL. Again, this happens every year and will continue to do so. Heck, look at this year and Buffalo's 3rd round pick. A very RAW WR with speed who not many had going before round 6 or 7. Not many people are giving TJ Graham much more credit other than his speed and Graham is a Fresh 3rd round pick vs Easley as a stale (2 years on IR) 4th round pick. He is a project, maybe a little bit of a reach, but that seems to be what it takes to find your NFL caliber WR's. A team needs to have a bunch in the hopes that 1 or 2 can actually be productive enough to help the team win. In Easley Buffalo took a flier on an athletic WR who was a little under the radar due to low production in college. They had/have the hope that he could maybe transition his athletic ability to the NFL but really cannot tell since he keeps landing on the IR. At this point Easley is no different than all 40 WR's that were taken this year, last year, the year before, etc.

Now, I am a huge fan and of course want Easley to succeed and be the best he can be. I hope he turns into an All Pro WR and Buffalo is set at the position for years to come. However I believe I am on the side of "Logical Optimisim" vs. "Delusional Placement". Unfortunately I believe many fans think Easley is the answer due to the fact they have kept him around, the fact he was a Buffalo draft pick and that his characteristics are more apparent since he was broken down a ton on draft day. Lets just hope he can put it all together on the NFL field.

Jordy Nelson was the pick. That year i was really into the draft. I did a lot of research, and remember thinking Nelson was going to be solid/good. I told a couple fellow buffalo fans here in ATL. He got picked by GB like a spot or two before buffalo IIRC.

As far as Easley, the NFL has washed out so many guys it is not funny. It takes a special person/body to be able to play in the NFL. You have to have talent, but also a body that can recover from pain quickly. So far Easley as not been able to stay healthy, thus voiding any talent he may posses. I hope this year is different.

i'd really like to see marcus make the team this year and contribute. he seems like a good kid who will have to overcome a lot to become a major contributor, having said that, overcoming these obsticles makes him a perfect fit for this team. i wish him luck.

At least we have an offseason to really get to know these guys and what they can do. Easley has potential but has alot of competition this year. One thing i like that coaches have brought alot of WR to vie for a roster spot.

I find it very interesting that Stevie is not on the field. Which allows more reps for the othres and gives a player a great chance to seperate himself from the rest. I have no problem with it being Mr. Easley.

I feel only Nelson and Stevie are locks this year.

I think I must have a differ perception from others. My recollection is he was hurt early in the preaseason his first year in the league. Then last year when there was basically no training camp and OTAs he had 2 decent preseason games. I happened to be at the Denver game because my brother lives there and he did a good job of separating and made the catches that he could. Then next was the Jacksonville game in which he also looked very good where he was 5/51 yds and a TD. Unfortunately after that he was shutdown with the heart ailment.

To me, from the limited times that I seen him, he's big,fast and runs sharp routes. I don't recall him having stone hands, too be honest I seen Stevie drop a helavu lot of easy catches and we know just how good he is.

The hands of stone comment was a bit funny , myself personally, Easley's big, he's fast, he's physical and already early on in OTA's has become a favored target for Bill's signal callers. I expect Marcus Easley to become the #2 WR some time this season.(maybe when it starts) I also expect TJ Graham to have a productive rookie season.

Speed...Speed...Speed...

Edited by Fig Newton

The hands of stone comment was a bit funny , myself personally, Easley's big, he's fast, he's physical and already in one day of OTA's became a favored target for Bill's signal callers. I expect Marcus Easley to become the #2 WR some time this season.(maybe when it starts) I also expect TJ Graham to have a productive rookie season.

Speed...Speed...Speed...

thats if Fitzy can get his footwork sorted of course Fig!

Easley is big, fast, strong but has very little experience at both the NFL level and College level. Yes, he has the tools, but it is a matter of putting it all together in order to be successful in the NFL. Remember this, there were a bunch of WR's everyone (most) wanted Buffalo to draft rounds 1-7 and a bunch of those guys had the same characteristics as Easley. Now, that happens every year, as a matter of fact, Buffalo has another "Easley" on the roster in Hagan. Hagan basically has the same frame (maybe a little lighter) but a way more productive college career on a much bigger stage. He was taken in the 3rd round and really has not been able to solidify himself in the NFL. Hagan is an example and one of many WR's along the same lines. Another perfect example is the year that Buffalo took Hardy, Pittsburg took Sweed and the Redskins took Kelly. As you may recall everyone pretty much wanted Sweed or Kelly but Buffalo ended up with Hardy. In the end did it really matter? All 3 were spectacular college WR's at big time programs (IU is at least Big Ten) and all 3 have failed miserably in the NFL. Again, this happens every year and will continue to do so.

We also have Kamar Aiken:

• Aiken: 6-2, 213 pounds
  • Easley: 6-2, 217 pounds
  • Hagan: 6-2, 210 pounds

It's hard to find the guys that can make it in the NFL, as you state. I like what I'm seeing. We have a much better chance of one of these guys emerging from the crowd than just hoping our one selection would, which is what I think we did with Hardy. If we can PS these guys and give them a full year to acclimate, develop and emerge, we have a much better chance of finding our guy. Some players like Greer and Rashad Baker just take awhile to "get there.'

As much as I liked many of Easley's intangibles I have to agree that there were times during that preseason where I remember him trying to catch with his body and fighting the ball.

That being said, he was always pretty raw as a receiver and there was enough there in the Bills practice sessions prior to the preseason games to move him up the depth charts and keep the coaches interested, so I am hopeful that he can come back and be a player. It would make for a good come-back story if it did actually happen.

Yeah, you know, there really are NOT a lot of WR's like Easley. This kid is HUGE - he's got a TE's body, and a strong, cut TE's body, at that; and, he runs a low 4.4 to high 4.3's. His build is the kind of build you put together on Madden in the create a player mode. So, that all contributes to the fan's hopes. Add to that he started playing football very late - which explains his lack of production, more than that he just never played well until having one year where the light turned on. It is more a case with him that he just hasn't had the time or the coaching.

And, add to that this: I remember having Hardy on the team. The kid was a second round pick, and there was a real need for that type of reciever, and there were a lot of expectations - and the coaches were pretty reluctant to put him into games. The coaches never seemed to show they were really impressed with him. Marcus Easley has seemed to impress the coaches, and make them want to keep him around EVEN THROUGH TWO IR SEASONS!!!

All that lends to the fans seeing this kid as more than just another WR. The fans were never this nuts about Hardy. The last time the fans were this nuts about anyone playing WR it was Stevie Johnson - and look what happened there. I happen to think Easley has way more natural talent and a better natural body for the WR position than any Bills WR - so I'm really hoping, as are many of us, that he puts it all together and can shine this year.

BTW - as for other WR's I've liked: I've liked what I've seen out of Aiken. I don't know why he hasn't been given more of a chance than, say, Hagan? And, I've liked what I've seen, brief as it was, of T.J. Graham's videos. The kid looks like he can catch the ball with his hands. He looks like a natural. So, it doesn't surprise me that the Bills haven't gone out to bring in a veteran WR - I think we need to give our guys a chance behind a better O-line, with a better, fundamentally speaking, Fitz throwing to them.

Jordy Nelson was the pick. That year i was really into the draft. I did a lot of research, and remember thinking Nelson was going to be solid/good. I told a couple fellow buffalo fans here in ATL. He got picked by GB like a spot or two before buffalo IIRC.

As far as Easley, the NFL has washed out so many guys it is not funny. It takes a special person/body to be able to play in the NFL. You have to have talent, but also a body that can recover from pain quickly. So far Easley as not been able to stay healthy, thus voiding any talent he may posses. I hope this year is different.

Jordy Nelson was also my favorite guy in that draft. I do recall getting laughed at for wanting him over the others. What is it they say about the last laugh?

We also have Kamar Aiken:

• Aiken: 6-2, 213 pounds
  • Easley: 6-2, 217 pounds
  • Hagan: 6-2, 210 pounds

It's hard to find the guys that can make it in the NFL, as you state. I like what I'm seeing. We have a much better chance of one of these guys emerging from the crowd than just hoping our one selection would, which is what I think we did with Hardy. If we can PS these guys and give them a full year to acclimate, develop and emerge, we have a much better chance of finding our guy. Some players like Greer and Rashad Baker just take awhile to "get there.'

I'm definitely team Kamar (I was going to say team Aiken but it would have sounded like I was an American idol fan). No I'm not a professional scout nor have I watched countless hours of YouTube videos on him. Simply a gut feeling I have just like I had that feeling with SJ before he became a starter.

I'm definitely pushing for Aiken to make the 53 man roster instead of PS but it will be a very tough road for him especially when we have SJ, Brad Smith (which I don't understand why he is even a WR at all), Donald Jones and Graham as guaranteed spot holders on the roster.

I doubt we have more than 6 WR positions on the 53 man roster which leaves just 2 more openings. I believe Chan and co. really like what they see in Ruvell Martin (hence why they brought him back) which makes me believe he's also pretty much a guarantee to make the team. That leaves one spot left with guys like Clowney and Hagan out there battling...

Good luck Kamar...

Wow. I forgot about David Nelson... Forget about Kamar now... SMH...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Jordy Nelson was also my favorite guy in that draft. I do recall getting laughed at for wanting him over the others. What is it they say about the last laugh?

yeah you just watched tape on the guy while he was a Kansas St and knew he was going to be good. Made the tough catch and would get nailed but hold the ball. Good size and hands. He reminded me of Ed McCaffrey. I know they are both white, but they have similar size. Mccaffrey has 2 inches on Nelson but both play(ed) around 215. Can play inside or outside. Not blazing speed, but enough to get open.

The competition for positions on this team is going to make everyone better.

Agreed.

At WR its all about plan B.

Stevie Jounson is clearly plan A (a reasonable one given two straight productive seasons and some specific play such as his undressing of a best in the NFL CB Revis in a couple of games). However he simply has shown a couple of cases of utter immaturity which makes him a bet to be a deserved #1 simply a bet we hope we win rather than a sure thing. The Bills have publicly bet a lot on Johnson as seen by him getting the prominent role in Bills commercials, but as we seen with the all too prominent quandary of injury which wiped out the season of last year's promo poster boy Fred Jackson that this is just a high stakes bet.

Fortunately in the Jax case we had a plan B of Spiller whose resume made him a not unreasonable choice to step into the #1 RB slot. He even pproduced at the end of the season like he is the real deal and the Nills have to be feeling good about the uncertainties which simply come with the NFL these days at all positions at RB.

However, at WR, we not only have the reasonable uncertainties with the #1, but the #2 role is up in the air.

The situation MIGHT work out to be fine. However, it really is going to take at least two players stepping up to occupy roles they never have produced at as NFL players for this to work smoothly.

With the ASSUMPTION that Stevie J. has a not unreasonable (but in no way gauranteed maturity transplant and makes sure he does not let down his teammates with mental antics which get him benched (his benching last year after a T-Shirt demo was more than reasonable as he called out both the HC and refs with its innocuous taunt. He really let down his teammates with the selfish antics. Maybe he can reasonably show boat when he (earn a Pro Bowl level berth or even better lead a winning team, but for now he has something to prove.

He has the talent to be a legit #1, and he has also shown he is a gamer playing well through injury but the juvenalia has to stop. I think he can do it and apparently the Bills have shown him the money and promoted him prominently as a team leader that they believe in him too. If Johnson fails through injury its a tough break but if he fails through immaturity its on him.

Donald Jones- on depth chart as #2, but this is likely in name only as if he performed at the level of a good #4 40+ catches this would be a reasonble step up for him in performance. Has shown none of the mutant production of a traditional #3 like toughness and production in the slot(Parrish actually showed some potential for this mentally but his body could not cash checks his mind wrote)or dynamic speed (another Parrish virtue but again he just got too damaged to be relied upon). Jones to me is a reasonable but in no way gauranteed plan C and as our plan B while stranger things have happened it is nothing at all to depend on.

Nelson- I actually like him as the potential big surprise at a plan B level. The problem is that this would be a surprising and enormous step up for him. He had some nice highlights last year and a couple of his grabs showed some bigtime potential. However, the distance betweem doing this in nice episodes and doing thie consistently is huge. Here is another player who would be nicely advancing his career and play if he turned out to be a solid #3 at the end of the season, but we are looking for a #2.

Marcus Easley- potential simply means you have not done anything yet. Nice demographics in terms of sixe, speed, and college resume, but how someone can count on him to be the @2 seems little more than wishful hoping.

TJ Graham- An interesting pick and it really is impossible to accuratelu predict what will happen until we see not only whether the raw talent which both saw the Bills trade up to get him but many pundit idiots had him as a probable 6th round pick. One cannot teach speed (without regard to what Don Beebe makes nickels doing and Graham's collegiate record gives some credibility that IF the scouts saw something he MIGHT be a credible pick by the Bills. However, even this is a big MAYBE and again counting on any rook to be the #2 WR is a huge longshot at best.

A cast of others- There are a number of guys who might contribute on ST or career reliable back-ups who are late season fill-ins when injury bites like a Namaan Roosevelt but I see nothing here that excites me as potential A, B. Cs, or even plan D players.

I think this might work if a couple of guys really step up. I just doubt that it will work bacl in reality.

Stevie, Nelson, Hagan emerge from camp as the top three, Chandler has major numbers as primary TE target, Graham gets worked in for the Roscoe stuff and to stretch the field.

Thats my prediction. I think Hagan has better hands than Easley, more experience, tough, he plays like he hates everyone out there.