Who the Hell are the Charlotte Bobcats?

stevestojan

Ok, I just got tickets to Satruday's Heat game (ya know, the courtside tickets I told you guys about). Anyway, I'm not a NBA fan, but these seats can't be passed up.

I look at the tickets, and it says "Charlotte Bobcats vs the Miami Heat". I went to NBA.com and yep, they're a team.

I watch Sportscenter EVERY night, and I have honestly NEVER heard of a professional team called the Charlotte Bobcats... I assume they are an expansion team, but I just find it amusing that there was an entire sports team i had never heard of.

Ok, I just got tickets to Satruday's Heat game (ya know, the courtside tickets I told you guys about). Anyway, I'm not a NBA fan, but these seats can't be passed up.

I look at the tickets, and it says "Charlotte Bobcats vs the Miami Heat". I went to NBA.com and yep, they're a team.

I watch Sportscenter EVERY night, and I have honestly NEVER heard of a professional team called the Charlotte Bobcats... I assume they are an expansion team, but I just find it amusing that there was an entire sports team i had never heard of.

185802[/snapback]

They have some guy named Okafour, and their unis are red...other then that I know stevestojan about them either...

They moved from somewhere else if I remember right. Maybe someone that follows the NBA can help out with where they came from.

185803[/snapback]

no, I think you are thinking of the Memphis Grizzles which were the Vancover Grizzles.

As far as I know Charlotte is an expansion franchise that started because the original Hornets were so successful. :ph34r:

That's why they moved to New Orleans a few years ago, right?

This is a joke, right?

Charlotte Bobcats. First-year expansion team replacing the Hornets, who moved to New Orleans about three years ago. (Maybe you missed it.) Something like the Cleveland and Houston expansions in the NFL.

Named after the principal owner, Robert "Bob" Johnson, pubisher of Ebony and Jet and first African American principal owner of a major sports franchise (if you consider the NBA "major"). For a while Michael Jordan (a North Carolina native) was supposed to be putting money in, but he backed out when ownership wouldn't let him run the show (like that disaster he created in Washington).

Coach and GM is Bernie Bickerstaff, who has to be among the worst of either in the NBA.

They have some guy named Okafour, and their unis are red...other then that I know stevestojan about them either...

185804[/snapback]

Emeka Okafor is a nasty shot blocker, a 7' 0" rookie center from UConn and he graduated early from UConn with a 4.0gpa in something like finance or something like that.

From NBA.com:

Okafor was one of only two players unanimously named First Team All-America by the Associated Press (also Jameer Nelson). He earned Most Outstanding Player honors in leading Connecticut to the NCAA Championship. Okafor was named the Big East Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 17.6 points, 11.5 rebounds (third nationally) and 4.1 blocked shots (tied for first). He finished his three-year collegiate career as the seventh all-time leading shotblocker in NCAA history.

Another flop in Charlotte will likely be the result. What a suprise.

185813[/snapback]

From what I understand, it was not a case of poor attendance and fan support, that lost the Hornets. It was an owner that wanted a new publicly financed arena, when the city had built one not too long before. He thought it was already outdated. The city basically said good riddance. New Orleans had a new arena in place, so that is where he went. New Orleans is not a step up from Charlotte economically. If I were player, I'd rather be in New Orleans, though. That city is great. Charlotte is a nice city, it's just a little bland there.

As someone who lived in Charlotte for over 20 years, I can personally attest that the sole reason the Hornets moved away was George Shinn.

He constantly meddled with the team, influenced poor drafting in some cases, traded good players away, for the sake of saving a buck. The Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant and promptly traded him to the Lakers for Vlade Divac.

The last straw was when he whined that he was losing money, and needed to build a new stadium to replace the Charlotte Coliseum (built in 1988), which he of couse wanted funded by the City. The dispute turned very ugly, and the people turned on him when he threatened to move the team.

Charlotte led the league several years in a row, the numbers are there if you care to look. Don't ever let anyone tell you the team failed because of low attendance, that is pure bull sh--...

They moved from somewhere else if I remember right. Maybe someone that follows the NBA can help out with where they came from.

185803[/snapback]

Nope not a move the Charlotte Hornets team moved somewhere and this is an expansion team, only reason I know any of this is I live in NC and they talk about them on sports. I wouldnt watch NBA basketball if all other channels were off the air.

Nope not a move the Charlotte Hornets team moved somewhere and this is an expansion team, only reason I know any of this is I live in NC and they talk about them on sports.    I wouldnt watch NBA basketball if all other channels were off the air.

185929[/snapback]

Charlotte Hornets = Buffalo Braves

New Orleans Hornets = San Diego/LA Clippers

Emeka Okafor is a nasty shot blocker, a 7' 0" rookie center from UConn and he graduated early from UConn with a 4.0gpa in something like finance or something like that.

From NBA.com:

Okafor was one of only two players unanimously named First Team All-America by the Associated Press (also Jameer Nelson). He earned Most Outstanding Player honors in leading Connecticut to the NCAA Championship. Okafor was named the Big East Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 17.6 points, 11.5 rebounds (third nationally) and 4.1 blocked shots (tied for first). He finished his three-year collegiate career as the seventh all-time leading shotblocker in NCAA history.

185819[/snapback]

You saved this UConn fans breath. Okafor also graduated college in 3 years. Classy kid!

As someone who lived in Charlotte for over 20 years, I can personally attest that the sole reason the Hornets moved away was George Shinn.

He constantly meddled with the team, influenced poor drafting in some cases, traded good players away, for the sake of saving a buck. The Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant and promptly traded him to the Lakers for Vlade Divac.

The last straw was when he whined that he was losing money, and needed to build a new stadium to replace the Charlotte Coliseum (built in 1988), which he of couse wanted funded by the City. The dispute turned very ugly, and the people turned on him when he threatened to move the team.

Charlotte led the league several years in a row, the numbers are there if you care to look. Don't ever let anyone tell you the team failed because of low attendance, that is pure bull sh--...

185917[/snapback]

Sounds a lot like our John Y Brown. We traded Moses Malone and some other stars shortly before moving to San Diego. Most here probably never heard of the Buffalo Braves either.... :ph34r:

185813[/snapback]

What are you talking about?

Its harder to get Panther tickets than Bills tickets.

The Hornettes did not leave because of lack of support. They left because the city would not cave on an arena deal.

Sad part is they are building a brand new one for the Bobbers

I live in Charlotte and must sa I was born in Buffalo and will be a die hard buffalo fan my whole life but I do not in any way miss the city of Buffalo

185917[/snapback]

How are the Bobcats doing in terms of attendance this year?

185813[/snapback]

What...Like those Panthers???

Come on Bro...The Hornets left because this City was not going to support that idiot Shinn (who's doing just fine in New Orleans I might add... :P )...And I definitely would not bet against Bob Johnson being successful...

Not much to complain about in Charlotte...except the traffic...The City is booming, and should easily be able to support another NBA Team, especially when the New Arena is finished...

I'm definitely no NBA Fan, but I think the Bobcats will be just fine. They have already surpassed expectations for year #1, and it looks like Okafor will be a Star in the League for years to come... :ph34r:

no, I think you are thinking of the Memphis Grizzles which were the Vancover Grizzles.

As far as I know Charlotte is an expansion franchise that started because the original Hornets were so successful.  :ph34r:

That's why they moved to New Orleans a few years ago, right?

185808[/snapback]

Ah yes, that's who I was thinking of, the Grizzles.