Fitzpatrick bandwagon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muscle memory habits are very difficult to break. Just ask Tim Tebow. The thing is he may look terrific in practice, but in the heat of the moment revert back to those habits. He's not a rookie so those bad habits are embedded in him. He's going to have to work extremely hard this offseason if he wants to fix them.

I hope he truly breaks them and can throw with proper mechanics without thinking about it, because we really need him to.

I like Fitz and want him to succeed. I do keep remembering those two interceptions he threw against the Giants (this was before he had the rib injury). In both cases he was throwing to his left down the sideline; in both cases the receiver was open, in both cases he underthrew the ball and was intercepted. I don't think his feet were planted properly on those throws. It cost us the game, I think.

Likewise the underthrown ball in the fourth quarter against the Bears the previous season (though I believe that one was to the right).

So I think there are mechanical issues. If he can correct such errors it will make a huge difference.

I just don't ever see him throwin the ball like a Brady,manning, Rodgers, etc. where we're ultimately headed with him I just don't know.

The only time Brady has been able to throw the long ball was when he could just chuck it up to Moss

You're taking into consideration the broken rib in the second half of last season, right? The work on his mechanics should help--making a throw to the left with more accuracy = fewer DBs jumping the route and taking it to the house. Right there with you on wanting him to be the guy. He's got that workmanlike quality that fits the Bills and Buffalo. Save me some room on the FitzWagon--I'm climbing back on with my #12 jersey.

No, his throwing sucked the first half of the season too, He still had many knuckle balls and plenty of almost interceptions.

I also found it surprising that he never new how to throw correctly or where to go to fix his Mechanics. That's just nuts bc many fans a aware of QB mechanic coaches let alone an NFL player. Someone should have told him where to go or take some initiative himself to find out where to get better, that's what the best QBs do he should have too. I'm just glad Chan brought somebody in to straiten him out bc as he was we weren't going anywhere.

I'm impressed that he cares enough to get outside help with his throwing motion

Not really, if it wasn't for coach Lee he'd still be throwing like Tebow did. It amazes me for guy so smart he didn't seek out help sooner, Maybe he's a mental Diva where he thinks he is good enough and didn't need any help bc he thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

Muscle memory habits are very difficult to break. Just ask Tim Tebow. The thing is he may look terrific in practice, but in the heat of the moment revert back to those habits. He's not a rookie so those bad habits are embedded in him. He's going to have to work extremely hard this offseason if he wants to fix them.

I hope he truly breaks them and can throw with proper mechanics without thinking about it, because we really need him to.

Sush you'll jinx him.

No, him working on his Mechanics is my only hope that he gets better. It's gonna suck watching Tannehill win superbowls.

:lol:

Perhaps, If the guy lives long enough to fully develop. Lets not forget that this kid needs some time. Its for certain that tallywhacker is going to have good protections with 2 #1's at the tackle positions. The NFL is still a team game tho, I don't see a great team around any Dolphins QB at this point.

Wait, who is the star WR for the Phins?

Fitz is only going to be as good as the team around him! Will there be enough protection to allow deeper throws, and more time in the pocket? Will the Bills find a player that can step into that #2 WR spot and make some plays? Will the TE stay healthy all year?

Edited by Fear the Beard

No, his throwing sucked the first half of the season too, He still had many knuckle balls and plenty of almost interceptions.

I also found it surprising that he never new how to throw correctly or where to go to fix his Mechanics. That's just nuts bc many fans a aware of QB mechanic coaches let alone an NFL player. Someone should have told him where to go or take some initiative himself to find out where to get better, that's what the best QBs do he should have too. I'm just glad Chan brought somebody in to straiten him out bc as he was we weren't going anywhere.

He had 14 TDs and 7 INT in the first half of the season (including Washington game). Not Pro Bowl numbers, but I wouldn't say that his throwing "sucked." There are, and have been, plenty of winning quarterbacks with less-than-ideal mechanics. And just because fans are aware of QB mechanics coaches doesn't mean that every NFL QB uses one. When Fitz gets some help with the nuances, the knuckleballs and near-INTs will drop in frequency.

This is an NFL QB performing at a very high level, not some dub off the street. There are a lot of people on this board wondering about muscle memory and Fitz's ability to change old habits. That's all cr#p. He's a professional quarterback who is paid to throw TDs. If he improves his mechanics, he wins games and his bosses are happy. If he doesn't, he gets benched.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

Since the second half of last season I have been critical of Fitzy's arm strength and accuracy. However with QB coach Lee working on his mechanics for the first time ever I am hopeful that he can overcome his flaws and be the franchise QB that we have long waited for because he has decision making and mobility of the top QBs already. I was on the bandwagon last year because I wanted Fitz to be good but then reality hit and got thrown off like a bad accident with no seatbelt. So now I'm officially back on, don't let me down Fitz. 0:)

I was encouraged in the practice highlights from Tuesday. He made the deep left sideline toss into double coverage. He over or under threw that route every time last year. Webster picked him twice in one game on that toss and chan mention throwing left was an issue with mechanics and footwork.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

See this is where I fundamentally disagree with the "bandwagoners" actually. His "decision making" is much more of a myth than a fact. People just assume he is this great decision maker because he went to Harvard and the staff says he is smart. This is a radical difference in being very intelligent (which I have no doubt he is) and a good decision maker. He makes a lot of POOR decisions on the field and it leads to a lot of turnovers, 3 and outs, incomplete passes, dropped gimme INT's by the D, bad sacks, etc. In fact, I would argue that its been his decision making a lot more than his arm strength that has led him to be such a high INT guy.

Frequently, he throws into double and triple coverage when better throws were there. Frequently, he makes a throw too soon or too late. Frequently, he tries to force throws to guys who are not open...etc, etc.

I would love to see this QB coach fix his mechanics, as that would be a big step in the right direction because he is woefully inconsistent with his accuracy. But to say his decision making is already among the top QB's around the league is just not true at this point. He needs to start making better decisions as well. I hope that a better all around team and better mechanics will help in his decision making where he can make smarter throws and not feel the need to push, but only way to know is to get out in the game with the bullets flying.

I remain cautiously optimistic, but still have a lot of concerns over him.

I have argued the opposite, going back to 2010, when I thought Fitz's at the line decision making made Chan look a lot better than he is as an OC.

Fitz has his limitations as we all see. Maybe he'll benefit from working with Lee (not sure who he has corrected mechanically in the past). We'll see.

This conversation reminds me of the continuing Kelsay discussion. There are seemingly three categories of fans:

1 -- Fitz can/will be a "top 15" QB if he stays healthy and has the weapons

2 -- Fitz is an average NFL QB with many limitations

3 -- Fitz sucks

I don't see anyone suggesting Fitz is great or "elite."

Fans in category #1 are encouraged by discussion of working on mechanics, and focus on the first seven weeks of 2011 as well as overall team health. Fans in category #2 think the first seven weeks of 2011 were somewhat lucky, and only mildly factor Fitz' rib injury and other injuries on offense into the 2nd half meltdown. Fans in category #3 think the first seven weeks were the result of crappy opponents' play, and the "real" Fitz is what we saw for the 2nd half of the season.

I don't see anyone changing their minds until the regular season is well under way.

This conversation reminds me of the continuing Kelsay discussion. There are seemingly three categories of fans:

3 -- Fitz sucks

Fans in category #1 are encouraged by discussion of working on mechanics, and focus on the first seven weeks of 2011 as well as overall team health. Fans in category #2 think the first seven weeks of 2011 were somewhat lucky, and only mildly factor Fitz' rib injury and other injuries on offense into the 2nd half meltdown. Fans in category #3 think the first seven weeks were the result of crappy opponents' play, and the "real" Fitz is what we saw for the 2nd half of the season.

I don't see anyone changing their minds until the regular season is well under way.

Good categories.

#1 here

3 -- Fitz sucks

Nailed this one on the head......I am #3 myself.

3 -- Fitz sucks

[/quote}

Hmmm, #1. Superbowl

#2. Cereal bowl

#3. Toilet bowl

Fitz is Cap't Crunch.