NO Problems on Offense IF..............

"OLB: To much competition isn't always good, in my opinion. If you bring another veteran, Morrison and Barnett might feel like they're trying to be replaced and the younger linebackers wouldn't know where to go for help." - Really??? We sure don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

"WR: Burress is the worst option for a big wide out. Plus Chan's idea for spreading the ball out by lining up 4-5 WRs and giving it to everyone (which I don't necessarily think is the best idea for this offense) would kill Burress because he isn't getting the ball." - Gailey plays the type of offense that he plays because of what he has. He doesn't have a great O-line or a stud QB so he has designed a quick throwing spread offense that gets the ball out quick (helps the O-line) and allows the QB to see what scheme the defense is playing (man or zone). Burress would do well in this scheme because he would be open most of the time even when he's not open. You can't cover a 6'-5" WR with great hands 1v1 with a 5'11" CB.

"TE: Even though that's a really good idea, I can't imagine Chan bringing in another TE that would actually see snaps. Like I said above, he likes lining up in 4-5 WR sets, not twin TE formations." - Playing two TEs at times makes it more difficult for the defense to stack their scheme with more run defenders or pass defenders. It gives the offense the advantage and the element of surprise. This is especially effective in short yardage, goal line, and red zone situations.

"LT: We have Hairston who would most likely start right now while Glenn gets ready to start at LT. Don't have him play RG because that's the other side of the line and a whole other position. If you want him to play LT, you have him prepare himself at LT, not have him learn a whole other position. It will just get him confused and make us look like we need another LT." - You like Hairston at LT. I happen to think McNeil is a much better player.

You got me on the OLB, I'll admit.

I absolutely agree with you on the WR, its just that Burress needs the spot light. If you can find me any other 6'5" wideout then I'm all for it, its a great match up that will improve our offense, just not Burress.

I also agree with you on the TE situation, great matchup situation. Its just that in both cases (WR and TE), Gailey doesn't feel comfortable running anything but a spread offense and setting up the run by passing. If he likes to adapt to what we have, then why didn't we see more split back formations, I-forms, or at least a little single-back. Instead we see Fitz in the shot-gun struggling to throw the ball. When we went down by two TDs in the 1st quarter, Gailey freaked out and went pass happy. We had an entire game to come back and he had Fitz trying to do to much and throwing INTs.

McNeil in my eyes is just like Merriman, he's injured and has had a tough time coming back to his original form. If you like taking that risk, that's fine. Lets just agree to disagree.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the folks calling to sign a couple of veteran LBs for depth... we just let guys like Andra Davis and Reggie Torbor walk because they were outplayed by rookies.

When you have a FO that can evaluate talent and draft well, you dont need to sign veteran backups. You let your kids learn, and get ready to start.

I think Buddy still has friends in the SD organization. They most likely gave him th elow down on McNeil. Lets not forget, Buddy did San Diego a solid by not driving up the price for Meachum. They had to sign him after losing V. Jackson. I also lik eth efact that Hairston played some LT last year and did a decent job being a rookie and having a condensed off season. He should compete with Glenn and at the least provide the Bills with options for OL. When was the last time we could say that?

OLB is a question mark. In fact outside of Barnett, we(as Bills fans) have not seen an entire season of solid play from any of them. Sheppard should make huge strides this year, having an entire off season and 1 year under his belt. Morrison should have enough left in his tank for a year or two. The hope is that some of the other guys on the roster can come on, and develope.

I think the Bills have S. Johnson at wr then a bunch of other guys. Most have shown NFL ability, but few have done it for an entire year or been able to stay healthy. WR i think is where Chan will make the most of what we have. I am not too worried about it.

TE is also something i doubt the Bills make a move on, They like Chandler, he has shown good hands and is a red zone threat. Personally it doesnt seem like Chan values the TE that much between the 20s.

All in all i think what we see right now is what we are going to camp with. Once some cuts and injuries happen you may see a move or two. I could see another vet LB being brought in if he is cut from another team. This would happen if Wanny doesn't see th eyounger guys developing like they need to.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Christ these posts.....

- OK first....every team.....EVERY TEAM in the league that hasnt been to the Super Bowl in the last 2 years needs for some of their younger unestablished players to work out.....The bills are gonna need someone like Easley to step up....they are gonna need good health first and foremost. This team has some depth and they are gonna be able to take some losses but not too many and not at certain postions

-

- OLB....everybody....EVERYBODY is bitching about Morrision at OLB.....it doesn't matter that he rode the bench last year.....in a bad defense that didnt suit him.....he is now back to his NATURAL position where he was posting 100 plus tackls a year.....he isn't old.....he just needed Dave Wannstadt to come in and give him a chance. He has it......

- TE....we DONT USE TE! Why do people have such a hard time with this concept......Chandler is a goaline reciever and a good one.....we use a H BACK instead......that is David Nelson......

- WR...we have a number one coming off back to back 1000 yard seasons......the other position will sort itself out

Want to know why? Because we have a defense that will keep giving the offense back the ball and ALLOW them to sort it out

I'm talking to a wall here.

Belichick said he's glad you think the way that you do. Keep on doing the same thing every year. You're bound to get the same results.........no playoff appearance in 12 years..........the most years to not make the playoffs in the entire league.

Meanwhile, Belichick will continue to pick up groups of veteran players year after year to add to his base............and continue to win the AFC East year after year.

Who likes to keep losing to the Patriots year after year?? Raise your hand.

If he likes to adapt to what we have, then why didn't we see more split back formations, I-forms, or at least a little single-back.

Because this o-line, despite the fine YPC by Fred and CJ, is not that effective in smash mouth, "we're running and we don't care if you know it" mode.

Setting up the run with the pass is a time honored scheme that works when you're trying to cover up holes/injuries on your OL. I'm much happier that Chan knows this and doesn't do what the last three HCs did--force the talent (or lack thereof) to adapt to their "system," results be damned..

Belichick said he's glad you think the way that you do. Keep on doing the same thing every year. You're bound to get the same results.........no playoff appearance in 12 years..........the most years to not make the playoffs in the entire league.

Meanwhile, Belichick will continue to pick up groups of veteran players year after year to add to his base............and continue to win the AFC East year after year.

I think the Patriots amazing run is more about their QB and Head coach and the consistency that brings year in and year out rather than how many veteran FAs they bring in

each year. Some work out (Moss), some don't (Ocho Cinco), some unspectacularly fill a spot, some turn into excellent role players. But, I don't think this is what the Pats have

had over the Bills of late.

Plus, we've brought in plenty of veteran FAs in the past, just look at the O-line (Dockery, Walker, Gandy, etc.)...and how did that work out? It's not about just bringing in

vets, it's about bringing in the right vets (talent evaluation) that are good, fit what the team is doing football-wise and chemistry-wise.

Also, most teams start rookies every year...it's just how the league has gone recently. Every team has to rely on some young guys stepping up, either to start or

to fill in for injury. The key is to have multiple options (depth), competition, etc. In the last few years, we didn't have the depth, but it is slowly building.

LT: If Hairston were starting and we had no back-up plan, I'd be more worried. Hairston did a good job last year, but I don't know for sure how good he is yet.

But, if he holds off Glenn, I'll feel more secure about him and then Glenn and Sanders are there as depth. If one of the young guys (most likely Glenn) can

wrestle the spot away, then we have Hairston and a rookie as back-up. Sure they are all young and will make mistakes, but that's how they will learn and

get better as well and the line will start building long-term chemistry which is so important on the O-line. I'd rather that than an injury-prone vet who may

give us one or two years and be gone.

TE: Sincere question? How often does Chan run anything out of a two TE set? We have always said that Chan doesn't utilize the TE...is it true? I think Chandler is an excellent

(not elite) TE. He was blowing things up last year before he got injured. Chan will also use Nelson at times in a pseudo-TE role...so, I don't think we need another

pass-catching TE for the offense to work. As to who is a good blocker or not, I'm not sure. And I don't know much about the young TEs on the roster. But I would

guess that TE is a luxury if the right player came along, not a necessity.

WR: I think a lot of this keys on Graham. He can fill both the Evans and the Parrish role at different times (if he works out). We don't need Fitz to all of a sudden become

a homerun guy tossing bombs every week. But running Graham deep and connecting on a few of them here and there will keep defenses honest. They won't

be able to continually crowd the line to stop the run and the short passing game. And I truly think Nelson is under-appreciated by a lot of Bills fans...he's going to have

a great year (year #3...traditional WR breakout year). And then there is Easley, Jones, Smith, Aiken, Hagan, Clowney, Roosevelt, and Martin all competing for spots;

some with excellent potential, a number of them with game experience now, a few who won't make the roster this year. We didn't need a big redzone target (Nelson,

Stevie, and Chandler all do well in the redzone). We needed a speed guy to spread the field, which opens up holes in Chan's type of offense for the RBs and short passes.

The Bills hope they have that in Graham. If Graham works out and either Jones or Easley steps it up, we will be very solid in the passing game (when you include Chandler

and the RBs out of the backfield too). If just Graham works out, I think we will still be ok. Sure those are ifs, but we aren't counting on one if...like in past years, there are a

number of options if someone isn't working out. One out of maybe 5 ifs instead, increasing our odds of one of them coming through.

LB: Kirk Morrison, before coming to the Bills and getting injured for the year, averaged 120 tackles a year over a 6 year career. He just turned 30 years old. It's not like he is

just some scrub as some seem to think or over the hill. He is a well respected LB in the league and I think he will do well in Wanny's system. I think Sheppard and Barnett

are solid. We don't quite know what we have in depth yet, but I'd rather some young, hungry guys with potential to be really good, than an average or aging FA who's ceiling we

already know.

So, though I don't disagree that these are the positions with the most question marks and if there is a FA out there who is clearly better than what we have (at the right time

in his career and for the right price) then you still jump at him, but the key is what is best for the team going forward. We want to make the playoffs this

year, of course, but most likely we aren't going to the Super Bowl. So, let's start working the young guys and keep building and drafting so next year or the year after that

we have a legitimate shot and with a young nucleus that is coming into their prime, rather than older FAs that we have to replace in a year or two, disrupting chemistry and

finding ourselves continually patching holes.

Belicheck is trying to hold on to a dynasty, we're trying to build one...these two teams are in very different places right now and their current strategy wouldn't be the best one

for us. The way Nix has handled FA (sign your own and only spend on players who are worth the salary and roster spot---over a young guy) imho is best. If there are veteran

FAs out there who will improve the team talent-wise, won't disrupt the chemistry the team has built, and won't be overpaid for their services, I'm sure Buddy and Chan will

go after them.

Edited by folz

I don't think you understand the Patriots model.

They're actually a very young team.

There a few notable retreads at Saftey, RB and WR other than that everything else is home grown.

What we need is for some of our draft picks to become brady crushing bastards... that's what we need

I think we will be a little better off @ OLB than most believe. I really like Nigel Bradham.....a lot. I personally see some Takeo Spikes in the guy and think he was the steal of our draft. That guy hits people and he hits them hard. If he gets the defense down mentally I fully expect him to make an impact early. I wouldn't be surprised to see him unseat Morrison by mid-season. I think that Carder is one of those do everything types that will just somehow make plays.

Or perhaps you ARE the wall and see your reflection?

Everybody makes like BB is some sort of NFL god.....the man is a good coach....but just like ANY coach with success he was able to find a game changing player that he could lean on when times get tough.....without Tom Brady Bill B. is nowhere near the genius he looks like.

I guarantee you that BB is not laughing now......we took a game from the patriots last year outsmarting them in the process. Now BB gets to watch his quarterbnack face Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Darius, and um....his own former 10 sack player in Anderson....I GUARANTEE you he is not laughing.

Things were NOT done the way they are done every year.....if you cannot see the difference in how this offseason was handled I dont know what to tell you. In past years the Anderson pick up alone would have been our big free agent pick up......and we would have allowed guys like Stevie Johnson to walk and Freddie Jackson go into camp upset...NONE of that was done this year.....key home grown talent was resigned......TWO of the best defensive free agents were signed.....we addressed offensive line HEAVILY....

The reason why we went defensive draft heavy is because the bills DO get it......when your last in the league you go nowhere till you turn that aspect around.

They did great.....awesome actually

I think the Patriots amazing run is more about their QB and Head coach and the consistency that brings year in and year out rather than how many veteran FAs they bring in

each year. Some work out (Moss), some don't (Ocho Cinco), some unspectacularly fill a spot, some turn into excellent role players. But, I don't think this is what the Pats have

had over the Bills of late.

Plus, we've brought in plenty of veteran FAs in the past, just look at the O-line (Dockery, Walker, Gandy, etc.)...and how did that work out? It's not about just bringing in

vets, it's about bringing in the right vets (talent evaluation) that are good, fit what the team is doing football-wise and chemistry-wise.

Also, most teams start rookies every year...it's just how the league has gone recently. Every team has to rely on some young guys stepping up, either to start or

to fill in for injury. The key is to have multiple options (depth), competition, etc. In the last few years, we didn't have the depth, but it is slowly building.

Belicheck is trying to hold on to a dynasty, we're trying to build one...these two teams are in very different places right now and their current strategy wouldn't be the best one

for us. The way Nix has handled FA (sign your own and only spend on players who are worth the salary and roster spot---over a young guy) imho is best. If there are veteran

FAs out there who will improve the team talent-wise, won't disrupt the chemistry the team has built, and won't be overpaid for their services, I'm sure Buddy and Chan will

go after them.

Nailed it.

I am actually very pleased with the way Nix has handled things this year..................it's the best off season we've had in a very long time. Every move has been calculated and designed to fill a need. One of the best moves the Bills have made that nobody talks about is putting wannstedt in charge of the defense. His 4-3 alignment will greatly simply things for the players and allow them to play faster and more instinctively. He will be much more respected by the players than his predecessor was. my point to you is not that i don't think the Bills are doing all the right things. No, my point to you is that they can't stop and think they are set. They still need to look to get better.............and i've outlined the four positions where I think they need to find some better players.

Let me also say that I am a very big Bills fan (I grew up in Buffalo and still have family living in Buffalo). I have been a contributor to this board more than most of you (well before this board started keeping track of the no. of posts). I was here back in the day when guys like the Kid (big Pats fan who invaded our site), Neeraj, and Hogboy ruled this board. I've written articles for Shout! (a former Bills magazine) as well as sporadic pieces for this website. There is nobodyon this earth who wants to see the Bills win more than I do. I just get sick and tired of losing to the Patriots year after year. At some point, somebody in the Bills' front office has to wake up and see what's going on.

Whether you realize it or not the reason the Pats have been so good for so long is that Belichick finds a way to bring in veteran players (guys that are proven NFL players, not hopefuls) to be good role players. He could never do it without Brady for sure and without his own stellar defensive system/play calling and game management skills (his 50+ years in the business doesn't hurt either). Every year without fail he will bring in veteran players who will essentially outplay other teams' rookies or first year players.

There will be no rookies blocking for Brady.

I'm not saying that the Bills need to copy what the Pats do, but they do need to be continuously on the look out for better players to add to their roster and sign them when they're available.

I just get sick and tired of losing to the Patriots year after year. At some point, somebody in the Bills' front office has to wake up and see what's going on.

Whether you realize it or not the reason the Pats have been so good for so long is that Belichick finds a way to bring in veteran players (guys that are proven NFL players, not hopefuls) to be good role players. He could never do it without Brady for sure and without his own stellar defensive system/play calling and game management skills (his 50+ years in the business doesn't hurt either). Every year without fail he will bring in veteran players who will essentially outplay other teams' rookies or first year players.

There will be no rookies blocking for Brady.

I'm not saying that the Bills need to copy what the Pats do, but they do need to be continuously on the look out for better players to add to their roster and sign them when they're available.

#1....Just in case you didn't know.....the Bills actually beat the Patriots last year. It was a pretty crazy game. You should have watched it.

#2....The Patriots do not always bring in veteran players who outplay other teams' rookies or first year players. I would recommend doing a little research before you repeat a baseless fact ad nauseam. Now, before you try to start slamming the little keys on your keyboard, please explain to me how the following players have managed to start more than 8 games as Rookies or 2nd Year players during Belichick's era:

Name

Mat Light

Dan Koppen

Logan Mankins

Nick Kaczur

Sebastian Vollmer

Nate Solder

Jerod Mayo

Brandon Spikes

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

Devin McCourty

Vince Wilfork

Deion Branch

Rob Gronkowski

Aaron Hernandez

Kyle Love

Brandon Meriweather

Ellis Hobbs

Randall Gay

Eugene Wilson

*Refer to the attached for exact figures*

Alright, well now, if you made this far down the list and you still don't realize how wrong you are....let me try to explain some more of the flaws in your statements.

Outlandish Statement #1

"Every year without fail he will bring in veteran players who will essentially outplay other teams' rookies or first year players."

So, let me get this straight, you means that their rookies were outplayed played by such veterans as: Albert Haynseworth, Shaun Ellis, Fred Taylor, Chad Ochocinco, and Alge Crumpler. Man, those were all great veteran free agent signings. I don't think the Patriots would have been as good if those guys weren't on the team.

Outlandish Statement #2

"There will be no rookies blocking for Brady this year."

Now, I would like you to advert your attention to the above table which shows that over the years, the Patriots have had six lineman start more than 8 games their rookie year. Furthermore, guess what happened during two of those years in which the Patriots started a rookie....no ideas? They won the Super Bowl!! I know, this must all seem crazy to you, but just take some time, think it over and it will come to you. Finally, this all ties into what others have said, and that is the Patriots are attempting to hold onto dynasty where as the Bills are trying to build one. Heck, just look at the Patriots current starting offensive line, as almost every player expect Brian Waters started for the Patriots during his rookie year.

Alright, now before I go I have one more fun fact for you. Kyle Arrington, who was arguably the Patriots' best defensive player last year was cut by Philly and Tampa during his rookie year, and even after being signed to the Patriots practice squad, he wasn't activated to the 53 man roster until after the Browns made an attempt to sign him. Personally, although I know you disagree, I would rather take a chance on finding the next Kyle Arrington, James Harrison, or Fred Jackson before signing a stop gap veteran like Albert Haynesworth or Chad Ochocinco.

I apologize for being so sarcastic and blunt, but you reap what you sow.

post-12053-003113100 1338277339_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaBills51

#1....Just in case you didn't know.....the Bills actually beat the Patriots last year. It was a pretty crazy game. You should have watched it.

#2....The Patriots do not always bring in veteran players who outplay other teams' rookies or first year players. I would recommend doing a little research before you repeat a baseless fact ad nauseam. Now, before you try to start slamming the little keys on your keyboard, please explain to me how the following players have managed to start more than 8 games as Rookies or 2nd Year players during Belichick's era:

Name

Mat Light

Dan Koppen

Logan Mankins

Nick Kaczur

Sebastian Vollmer

Nate Solder

Jerod Mayo

Brandon Spikes

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

Devin McCourty

Vince Wilfork

Deion Branch

Rob Gronkowski

Aaron Hernandez

Kyle Love

Brandon Meriweather

Ellis Hobbs

Randall Gay

Eugene Wilson

Alright, well now, if you made this far down the list and you still don't realize how wrong you are....let me try to explain some more of the flaws in your statements.

Outlandish Statement #1

"Every year without fail he will bring in veteran players who will essentially outplay other teams' rookies or first year players."

So, let me get this straight, you means that their rookies were outplayed played by such veterans as: Albert Haynseworth, Shaun Ellis, Fred Taylor, Chad Ochocinco, and Alge Crumpler. Man, those were all great veteran free agent signings. I don't think the Patriots would have been as good if those guys weren't on the team.

Outlandish Statement #2

Now, I would like you to advert your attention to the above table which shows that over the years, the Patriots have had six lineman start more than 8 games their rookie year. Furthermore, guess what happened during two of those years in which the Patriots started a rookie....no ideas? They won the Super Bowl!! I know, this must all seem crazy to you, but just take some time, think it over and it will come to you. Finally, this all ties into what others have said, and that is the Patriots are attempting to hold onto dynasty where as the Bills are trying to build one. Heck, just look at the Patriots current starting offensive line, as almost every player expect Brian Waters started for the Patriots during his rookie year.

Alright, now before I go I have one more fun fact for you. Kyle Arrington, who was arguably the Patriots' best defensive player last year was cut by Philly and Tampa during his rookie year, and even after being signed to the Patriots practice squad, he wasn't activated to the 53 man roster until after the Browns made an attempt to sign him. Personally, although I know you disagree, I would rather take a chance on finding the next Kyle Arrington, James Harrison, or Fred Jackson before signing a stop gap veteran like Albert Haynesworth or Chad Ochocinco.

Thanks for doing the research.

I tried to make the point earlier just not nearly as thorough.

Good work.

Yes the patriots were able to get miles out of Harrison, Curtis Martin, Fred Taylor, and Randy Moss but they're actually better at growing and drafting their own talent.

They also start and play a lot of young players. They get thrown in the fire early and if they can't hack it. They have no problem cutting the youg player, drafting their replacement and moving on. They do this rather heartlessly and quickly. Doesnt matter if you're a second round pick. You can't prove you can play in the NFL. The Pats will send you packing.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Name

Mat Light

Dan Koppen

Logan Mankins

Nick Kaczur

Sebastian Vollmer

Nate Solder

Jerod Mayo

Brandon Spikes

Kyle Arrington

Patrick Chung

Devin McCourty

Vince Wilfork

Deion Branch

Rob Gronkowski

Aaron Hernandez

Kyle Love

Brandon Meriweather

Ellis Hobbs

Randall Gay

Eugene Wilson

Outlandish Statement #1

Outlandish Statement #2

(Slow clap that builds into a thundering applause)

How did the "veteran free agents" the Pats picked up last year work out? They did not. Not sure why you think this year will be different. They have been trying topatch holes to make up for bad drafting over the past few years. This year's draft appears tp be better but we will see. In the meantime, at this point tehre is no need for the Bills to bring in additional free agents veterans. They have a nice mix of veterans and yourth on the roster and the best depth they have had in years. In case you did not notice, the Bills have slectively brought in some veretans to both start and build depth. Your post inidcates to me you simply are not paying attention.