Kellen Winslow Jr

I would have tried to pick him up if he was cut out right. But to take on his some what big salary and give up a mid to late round pick for him wouldn't have been the best move for the Bills right now. I think that Visanthe Shiancoe from the Vikings would be a better pick up to add some depth at TE before the season starts.

The guy is a little older but put up numbers similar to Chandler last season despite poor QB play. As a backup on a one year deal I would pick him up. Hopefully Buddy sees that outside of Chandler we are uber thin at TE.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winslow has been one of Tampa Bay's best offensive players since being acquired from Cleveland in a trade three years ago. He had 77 receptions for 884 yards and five touchdowns in 2009, 66 catches for 730 yards and five TDs in 2010 and 75 receptions for 763 yards and two TDs in 2011. Winslow, despite a history of injuries and undergoing several knee surgeries during his career, appeared in every game over the past three seasons for Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay received a conditional 2013 draft pick in the deal, which a source told ESPN.com's Mike Sando is a seventh-rounder that can elevate to sixth-round choice.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7957761/tampa-bay-buccaneers-ship-kellen-winslow-seattle-seahawks-sign-dallas-clark

Why is it people chime in with things like this? You do know that his best seasons came the first 2 years after his accident right? He posted 89 and 82 catches...I mean his accident was his second year in the league when he had only played 2 games total in his whole career. So EVERYTHING he accomplished in the NFL was AFTER his crash.

So to say he hasnt been the same since his crash is absurd.

I know your not new here, so what else would you expect from the peanut gallery... :ph34r:

Pass. He’s never been the same since that motorcycle “accident.” For those that don’t remember, this is the guy that busted himself up and almost ended his career trying to do wheelies and other tricks in a parking lot when he apparently was barely experienced enough to just ride the thing.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2005/ezyryder.htm

ah, because the seahawks did it, it must have been a smart move.

Oddly enough I gotta give Pete Carroll a lot of credit.

I never liked the guy and always thought of him as a shameless shyster… the way he's acted and the way he left USC in shambles.

That said, I have a lot of newfound respect for Carroll based on how quickly and effectively he's turned around the Seahawks. He's looking like a good motivator, strategist, and personnel guy.

I'm also a bit biased because he drafted Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin, two guys I think are going to be excellent pros.

Point is, I wouldn't give the Seahawks short shrift.

The Seahawks trading for Winslow makes me think that he's got something left in the tank and that they'll use him well.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The Bucs version of TBD

looks to be largely done with the guy. Nobody calling it a bad move....mostly concerned that Dallas Clark would have been a "lateral move"....or fear that the guy they have on the roster is unproven, and is now the only option. But even that doesn't warrant keeping Winslow according to them.

However, one poster in particular explained that the kind of O they run means TE is the 5th option. That may be a reason why they don't care.

Based on that thread....I'm glad we passed, and, I'm glad we passed on Clark as well. We already have our ball catching TE/slot/big possession WR role filled nicely be David Nelson. Scott Chandler does such a good job blocking....that bringing him in the game doesn't tip off run/pass. Between these 2, Smith, and whoever the 3rd TE ends up being...we have all the bases covered barring 2 of them getting hurt.

So, I'm just fine with where we are.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

They gave up next to nothing for him.

They have almost nothing to lose with this move.

"Winslow’s $3.3 million base salary is hefty for a role player, regardless of how much cap room a team has."

"Winslow's $3.3 million base salary is hefty for a role player, regardless of how much cap room a team has."

It doesn't matter at all.

If they have the cap room for him, whatever he makes is irrelevant.

They knowingly accepted the contract.

Moreover, he has one year left on his deal. It's not like they're inheriting this huge multi-year yoke stone.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

It doesn't matter at all.

If they have the cap room for him, whatever he makes is irrelevant.

They knowingly accepted the contract.

Moreover, he has one year left on his deal. It's not like they're inheriting this huge multi-year yoke stone.

That's simply not true- he's got three years left. Beyond this are years at 4.5 and 5.5m each.

Oddly enough I gotta give Pete Carroll a lot of credit.

I never liked the guy and always thought of him as a shameless shyster… the way he's acted and the way he left USC in shambles.

That said, I have a lot of newfound respect for Carroll based on how quickly and effectively he's turned around the Seahawks. He's looking like a good motivator, strategist, and personnel guy.

I'm also a bit biased because he drafted Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin, two guys I think are going to be excellent pros.

Point is, I wouldn't give the Seahawks short shrift.

The Seahawks trading for Winslow makes me think that he's got something left in the tank and that they'll use him well.

A pair of 7-9 seasons doesn't do it for me yet. Still a ton to prove. They were third in there division last year and have sunk a lot into rolls of the dice - giving big deals to Flynn and marshawn are risky for very different reasons but risky for sure (even without the baggage a big second deal for any power back is a gamble). Putting together guys like k2, marshawn, Irvin - though all are seemingly holding things together is also a risky move. You get question marks for cheaper but it's easy to run into trouble quick (see jets)

That's simply not true- he's got three years left. Beyond this are years at 4.5 and 5.5m each.

A pair of 7-9 seasons doesn't do it for me yet. Still a ton to prove. They were third in there division last year and have sunk a lot into rolls of the dice - giving big deals to Flynn and marshawn are risky for very different reasons but risky for sure (even without the baggage a big second deal for any power back is a gamble). Putting together guys like k2, marshawn, Irvin - though all are seemingly holding things together is also a risky move. You get question marks for cheaper but it's easy to run into trouble quick (see jets)

In other words, I'm mistaken?

I'd read a report that Winslow had one year left on his contract.

I still like the job Carroll is doing in Seattle. Every time I've watched that team they've been well-coached and hard-nosed.

In other words, I'm mistaken?

I'd read a report that Winslow had one year left on his contract.

I still like the job Carroll is doing in Seattle. Every time I've watched that team they've been well-coached and hard-nosed.

Sorry - the first half read harsher than meant. It's a pretty hefty deal for a guy that's had both physical issues, and locker room troubles. Even if they didn't give up a huge sum, it's pretty clear 31 other teams weren't ok with giving up anything here.

They could do well but I think they have thrown up a few proverbial hail marys. Though a tough team, I'm not sure I'd be happy if our team was being built the same way.