How finding a # 2 Receiver could be the last piece to the puzzle

With the recent signings we have made I honestly think finding a number 2 reciever wheter its Jones, Easley , Hagan , Nelson or TJ graham could be crucial . I could see nelson beating everyone out and tj graham being our slot. Think about it, there are no more weakness on this team except for WR. I hear a lot of people say linebacker as a weakness but i think sheppard barnett and Bradham are a pretty solid group of linebackers( Yes i think Bradham starts Week 1), and there going look even better with the D line of M.Williams Dareus and K. williams and Merriman. Our Defensive backpacks could be out best position if your really think about how good that D line is going make them. Byrd Wilson/Searcy Gilmore Williams Mcgee ( Mckelvin is my sleeper pick to have a really good year because its his last year before being a free agent) Justin rogers Ron Brooks. am just really pumped for this year, GO BILLS!

Edited by BILLS #1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say the battles are won in the trenches. If you have a dominant d-line it'll make it easier for the rest of the backfield. If you have a dominant O-line it provides more opportunities for the offense to flourish. Just look at the Super Bowl winners the last 20 years, they all had one or the other or even both.

On the contrary, look at the last decade. Our o-line and d-line have been pitiful, and we havent made the playoffs. Exhibit B would be Detroit; their o-line d-line finally started to gel and be great and they made the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

In conclusion, No, receiver is not an important need at the moment.

Yes, our defensive backpacks will be great, but I'm concerned about the coverage abilities of the fannypacks on special teams.

I think Carder , R Martin, and ron brooks will make it so much better though...

With the recent signings we have made I honestly think finding a number 2 reciever wheter its Jones, Easley , Hagan , Nelson or TJ graham could be crucial . I could see nelson beating everyone out and tj graham being our slot. Think about it, there are no more weakness on this team except for WR. I hear a lot of people say linebacker as a weakness but i think sheppard barnett and Bradham are a pretty solid group of linebackers( Yes i think Bradham starts Week 1), and there going look even better with the D line of M.Williams Dareus and K. williams and Merriman. Our Defensive backpacks could be out best position if your really think about how good that D line is going make them. Byrd Wilson/Searcy Gilmore Williams Mcgee ( Mckelvin is my sleeper pick to have a really good year because its his last year before being a free agent) Justin rogers Ron Brooks. am just really pumped for this year, GO BILLS!

How can McKelvin have a really good year when he's clueless? People don't all of a sudden get smart. The chances are excellent he won't even make the team.

How can McKelvin have a really good year when he's clueless? People don't all of a sudden get smart. The chances are excellent he won't even make the team.

Here's how:

The Bills suddenly get a pass rush after having zero pass rush during his whole career.

I'm not saying McKelvin doesn't have holes in his game because he does. But you asked how he's suddenly gonna get different results as a player and I just explained how.

BTW, in the leadup to the draft, Nix stated that McKelvin was going into the final year of his contract and as such, Nix was expecting McKelvin to have a good year.

I think you're off on this one… number one draft picks rarely get cut before the expiration of their contracts.

The Bills might let him walk after this year but I think the chances of cutting him before the season starts are very slim.

Here's how:

The Bills suddenly get a pass rush after having zero pass rush during his whole career.

I'm not saying McKelvin doesn't have holes in his game because he does. But you asked how he's suddenly gonna get different results as a player and I just explained how.

BTW, in the leadup to the draft, Nix stated that McKelvin was going into the final year of his contract and as such, Nix was expecting McKelvin to have a good year.

I think you're off on this one… number one draft picks rarely get cut before the expiration of their contracts.

The Bills might let him walk after this year but I think the chances of cutting him before the season starts are very slim.

McKelvin Impressed me when after the 1st New England game he made a comment about his pick. He talked about how Ocho Cinco ran 2 or 3 routes and he undercut the route coz he had safety help. McKelvin obviously learned that from the coaches & applied it.

Nelson Is the slot and Graham will be the two. The last piece to the superbowl is an elite QB, Im not sure how we will get one bc I don't think we will be bad enough nor do I want to have a top pick in the draft, which is never guranteed.

In a spread offense the rankings of your WR's are meaningless. Fitz goes to the guys that are getting open and a lot of times thats your 4th receiver who is covered by the rookie corner.

As far as the elite QB comments here, i agree w Nix, Fitz can do the job. Heck, Joe Flacco was one dropped pass away from being in the superbowl and Fitz is better than that dude all day.

It will be interesting to see how many CB's they keep. I'm thinking 5, from among McGee, McKelvin, Gilmore, Williams, Rogers, and Brooks. I think either McGee or McK will be gone, but man, that would leave a green group of CBs.

You think Fitz has the talent to contend with the leagues elite QB's to win the superbowl?

As long as Gailey gives up on trying to throw the ball 35+ times a game. We have two great backs, and a smart QB. Use the backs more often, and let Fitz throw the ball less often but more effectively.

With a better defense, I doubt Gailey will throw as much. And they'll find a #2 WR from among Easley, Graham, Hagan, Jones, or Aiken.

Edited by Doc

Trent Dilfer did it!!!

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

Phil Simms

Jim McMahon

Joe Theismann

Jim Plunkett

Ken Stabler

the list goes on for average at best QB's that have won a SB.

Fitz does enough well to be able to allow this team to be in a position to win playoff games....

Graham won't start this year. He is raw. Nelson is a slot and is too slow to be starting receiver in the nfl. Easley, Hagan or Jones will battle it out. Jones might have failed to impress last year but it was his first year as a starter and he's very early in his career. Easley showed flashes in pre season and no one knows exactly what he will bring. Hagan did a solid job when he was given the opportunity.

Either one of those three can be serviceable but my hope is that Easley takes this job and runs with it.

It will be interesting to see how many CB's they keep. I'm thinking 5, from among McGee, McKelvin, Gilmore, Williams, Rogers, and Brooks. I think either McGee or McK will be gone, but man, that would leave a green group of CBs.

I would bet that they keep six. Chan and Buddy's mantra is that you can't have enough good corners. I could see them only keeping 2 TE's to make up the extra roster spot if need be. But I think they end up keeping 10 DB's overall.

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

Phil Simms

Jim McMahon

Joe Theismann

Jim Plunkett

Ken Stabler

the list goes on for average at best QB's that have won a SB.

Fitz does enough well to be able to allow this team to be in a position to win playoff games....

While I am sympathetic to the argument that you need elite players but not necessarily an elite QB to win the big one, this list kind of argues the other way. Those dudes are not exactly the model QB for today's league, are they? (Might as well do a remake of the Super Bowl Shuffle and see how today's kids like it.)

Here is a cut-and-paste of SB-winning QBs since the 1999 season, and the year of their season not the SB. Only 2 were not really elite, Johnson and Dilfer. While Eli has had his ups and downs, he shines in the postseason. Ben R.'s first he wasn't asked to do much either. There are 9 QBs here, and based on his career so far Fitz would have to rank at # 7 (generously) or 8, I am guessing:

1999 Kurt Warner

2000 Trent Dilfer

2001 T*m Brady

2002 Brad Johnson

2003 T*m Brady

2004 T*m Brady

2005 Ben Roethlisberger

2006 Peyton Manning

2007 Eli Manning

2008 Ben Roethlisberger

2009 Drew Brees

2010 Aaron Rodgers

2011 Eli Manning

I could carry the list back to the early 1990s and the Bills Super Bowls and not really change the ratio of top shelf to day old bread all that much.

kj

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_quarterbacks_with_multiple_Super_Bowl_starts#Winning_and_Losing_Quarterbacks