Gailey and Wannstedt - Best Bills play calling combo ever?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we have just been so bad recently that a step up to average or above average (which has yet to be proven) makes us think we are better than what we have proven.

Good point.

I wonder what the hell people are thinking when they post stuff like this. SMH

Well the board needs something to talk about until OTAs start on the 29th.

Levy and Marchibroda?

Saban and Collier?

How can you say that after a six win season? Hell...Mularkey and Jauron could make a claim to be better than Gailey and W. at this point in time.

Our best coordinators

OC Marchibroda

DC Wade Philips

ST Bobby April

This is going to be a huge year for Gailey. The very real possibility exists he will actually get to and then surpass DJ's storied won/loss accomplishments here.

GO BILLS!!

We can only hope :thumbsup:

In 1999 Joe Pendry was the OC

and Ted Cotrell was the DC under Wade Phillips

And the people, and the players HATED Joe Pendry!

Of course, Bills fans hated Kevin Gilbride, who has been fairly successful at every stop in his NFL OC career...except...well...I wont' got there...

I was wondering would Chan Gailey and Dave Wannstedt would be the best offensive/defensive play caller combination the Bills ever had together in one season?

Did you even watch last season? If you did, you would know the answer right now is a resounding NO. Forget about Wanny for a minute...as much as I like Chan, he had some bone head calls a lot last year. I remember several games where FJ and or CJ were running wild in the first half just to see Chan stop running the ball in the 2nd half and have Fitz throw away the game for us. I mean, CJ in one of his starts had almost a 100 yards and a TD in the first half with another long TD run taken away from an unrelated penalty. Chan in all his infinite wisdom decides to only hand him the ball 3 times in the 2nd half despite only being down 7 points...and of course Fitz stunk it up in the 2nd half and we of course lost a game we could have won.

Dont get me wrong, I really like Chan, but to call him the best play caller ever is ridiculous at this point. WAY TOO MANY times he went away from the a run game where we were averaging over 4 and 5 yards per carry, and in some cases over 7 yards per carry, just to throw damn near every play and constantly go three and out. And before someone responds and says well we were always behind...in the instances I am referring to, we were either ahead, tied, or very close behind with no reason to throw every play with a struggling Fitz.

Until Chan stops doing his best Mike Martz impression and learns to RUN the ball more when its being so effective (and stop relying on the inconsistent Fitz so much), he can never be considered for one of the best play callers in our history. Especially given how immensely talented our back field is, I mean its easily one of the best in the NFL, if not the best. Our 3rd string RB could be a major of part of a RB rotation on a lot of teams and of course both FJ and CJ would be the best back on the majority of the NFL rosters.

Did you even watch last season? If you did, you would know the answer right now is a resounding NO. Forget about Wanny for a minute...as much as I like Chan, he had some bone head calls a lot last year. I remember several games where FJ and or CJ were running wild in the first half just to see Chan stop running the ball in the 2nd half and have Fitz throw away the game for us. I mean, CJ in one of his starts had almost a 100 yards and a TD in the first half with another long TD run taken away from an unrelated penalty. Chan in all his infinite wisdom decides to only hand him the ball 3 times in the 2nd half despite only being down 7 points...and of course Fitz stunk it up in the 2nd half and we of course lost a game we could have won.

Dont get me wrong, I really like Chan, but to call him the best play caller ever is ridiculous at this point. WAY TOO MANY times he went away from the a run game where we were averaging over 4 and 5 yards per carry, and in some cases over 7 yards per carry, just to throw damn near every play and constantly go three and out. And before someone responds and says well we were always behind...in the instances I am referring to, we were either ahead, tied, or very close behind with no reason to throw every play with a struggling Fitz.

Until Chan stops doing his best Mike Martz impression and learns to RUN the ball more when its being so effective (and stop relying on the inconsistent Fitz so much), he can never be considered for one of the best play callers in our history. Especially given how immensely talented our back field is, I mean its easily one of the best in the NFL, if not the best. Our 3rd string RB could be a major of part of a RB rotation on a lot of teams and of course both FJ and CJ would be the best back on the majority of the NFL rosters.

So who has been a better offensive and defensive play calling combination that the Bills have ever had in 1 specific season?

Edited by Superhero

So who has been a better offensive and defensive play calling combination that the Bills have ever had in 1 specific season?

It doesn't matter...the question was are these two the best and my answer was a resounding NO for the reasons I stated in my original post. Other posters have already touched on a number of people that should be considered better play callers, no need to keep repeating them.

So again, the answer is NO, not until A) Chan stops doing his best Mike Martz impression and not running the ball more despite having one of the most talented, if not the most talented, backfield in the NFL (and Fitz is no Kurt Warner)) and B) Wanny actually calls a play considering he has yet to call a single play as a Buffalo Bills DC. I mean, how can you even attempt to call them the best play calling duo in Bills history when one of them has NEVER called a play for this team yet as our DC?

Seriously, this thread is a bit silly at this stage as no one can honestly answer yes at this point.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Exactly and Walt Cory sucked as a DC, look at our D rankings during the superbowl run. Not exactly blowing the doors off the league. AND the sad thing is, look at the amazing talent he had to work with!

maybe Phil Hansen and Jeff Wright and Mark kelso werent the worlds greatest talents? Our 87-88-89 D our 98-99 D and 64-65 D were our best. Huge mistake letting Fred go.Cost us the superbowl.

..not a big fan of Chan(as a head coach) or Wanny. Hope they prove me wrong this year.