Any Great Obscure Movies?

Juror#8

I just watched "Very Bad Things" with Christian Slater, Cameron Diaz, and Jon Favreau. One of the most FUGGED UP films ever lol.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Like the Limey and Kiss kiss bang bang

I don't think any of these are obscure as such but I find most young people haven't seen North by Northwest or Three days of the Condor and Memento, Ninth Gate, Malice, and "Lock Stock and two smoking barrels" are movies that probably didn't enjoy great box office success but a lot of people enjoy.

I just watched Win Win with Paul Giamatti. Excellent movie. It's a story about a high school wrestling coach with a kind of messed up life. He comes into contact with a kid that has a really messed up life, but has an amazing talent.

Giammati is a huge favorite. Outstanding in Barney's Version. A little long but absorbing.

That's a good movie. Giamatti is great...check out American Splendor if you haven't.

I second "American Splendor". Excellent movie, great performance.

Not obscure but a surprisingly low number of people have seen it: True Romance. My dogs name, Alabama, came from that movie.

One of my favorites of all time.

As mentioned above, if you haven't seen grandmas boy, its hilarious.

I mainly watch documentaries. Pulling John was OK (an arm wrestling doc) but if you like documentaries and haven't seen "King of Kong: a Fistfull of quarters", you're missing out.

Good call on True Romance. I liked:

Bug

and

Before the devil knows you're dead.

Edited by BLZFAN4LIFE

I love "Dark City", definitely an overlooked sci-fi and a great vision by director Alex Proyas. If you want to know where "The Matrix" came from, watch "Dark City".

Shut it down Mr. Hand!

Another obscure movie I liked.

I think the movie was called Powder. About a kid with super powers. Pretty compelling movie about how we treat people who are different.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

Shut it down Mr. Hand!

Another obscure movie I liked.

I think the movie was called Powder. About a kid with super powers. Pretty compelling movie about how we treat people who are different.

Indeed, Mr. Book.

Really Like the Limey and Kiss kiss bang bang

I don't think any of these are obscure as such but I find most young people haven't seen North by Northwest or Three days of the Condor and Memento, Ninth Gate, Malice, and "Lock Stock and two smoking barrels" are movies that probably didn't enjoy great box office success but a lot of people enjoy.

"Memento," more Nolan awesomeness.

I love "Dark City", definitely an overlooked sci-fi and a great vision by director Alex Proyas. If you want to know where "The Matrix" came from, watch "Dark City".

Good eye. I've been telling people this for years. "Matrix" to me is a big budget "Dark City."

Check out "Metropolis" if you haven't already. I think the whole segment originated from Lang's vision.

And Then There Were None (great old spooky Agatha Christie)

Eyes Without A Face

Bullets Over Broadway (not obscure, but over-looked Woody Allen classic)

Box Of Moonlight

Just watched "Box of Moonlight." Awesome movie and thanks for the recommendation.

"I Heart Huckabees" is another ubsurd comedy that is well cast and engaging.

Also "Little Miss Sunshine" is a little indie flick worth a Saturday afternoon.

I just watched "Very Bad Things" with Christian Slater, Cameron Diaz, and Jon Favreau. One of the most FUGGED UP films ever lol.

:thumbsup:

Check out another Favreau movie: "The Big Empty".

An odd little movie but I enjoyed the weirdness of it. Somewhat based on a Twilight Zone episode but with some interesting characters and dialogue. Also in the movie: Bud Cort, Darryl Hannah, Kelsey Grammar, Sean Bean.

The World's Fastest Indian/(Native North American) Inspiring movie with a cheap budget but with good dialogue. When I'm an old fart the main character is the kind of bastard I plan on being.

Edited by Pilsner

There is always Grosse Point Blank and no its not about Ralph developing dementia.

Grosse Point Blank is a great movie. I'm very selective as to what DVDs make it into my home and this is one of them.

Freaks

See if you can't find the original, longer version (it's a little freakier and doesn't have a stupid happy ending).

"We accept her! We accept her! One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!"

But is that really an obscure movie?

I'm with Just Jack on this.

"Grosse Point Blank" does not strike me as obscure.

Freaks

See if you can't find the original, longer version (it's a little freakier and doesn't have a stupid happy ending).

"We accept her! We accept her! One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!"

Definitely agree. I also recommend watching this with subtitles, as Hans (Harry Earles) is very difficult to understand at times.

This is a good movie, although circus sideshow attractions do not exactly make for great actors.

Sadly this was the movie that killed Tod Browning's career.

But is that really an obscure movie?

I'm with Just Jack on this.

"Grosse Point Blank" does not strike me as obscure.

Definitely agree. I also recommend watching this with subtitles, as Hans (Harry Earles) is very difficult to understand at times.

This is a good movie, although circus sideshow attractions do not exactly make for great actors.

Sadly this was the movie that killed Tod Browning's career.

OK I respectfully withdraw my nomination of Grosse Point Blank. But it was a great movie!!