Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?

Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?

I wouldn't worry about the draft picks as much as the 19-20mil a year contract- while I think it's possible to find around 7-8 million (Kelsay, Spencer, Edwards,) without damaging the team too much I don't think you can find 20 mil without cutting to the bone. The other things I remind people of is that DB's supporting cast in Buffalo is at least a small step down from NO and can DB play at a high level in all the possible Ralph weather conditions?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't worry about the draft picks as much as the 19-20mil a year contract- while I think it's possible to find around 7-8 million (Kelsay, Spencer, Edwards,) without damaging the team too much I don't think you can find 20 mil without cutting to the bone. The other things I remind people of is that DB's supporting cast in Buffalo is at least a small step down from NO and can DB play at a high level in all the possible Ralph weather conditions?

Add fitz and your to the 18 number.

They should trade Moorman and Lindell for Brees.

That's too much! Why not trade Garrison Sanborn instead? He's not a franchise long snapper anyway. This team needs to build from the middle of the Special Teams out!

I'm glad someone else sees it this way. A lot of people on this board think we are trying to win a human interest contest.

As far as Bree's goes I doubt they could make the cap work after the Williams signing and they would have to give up a gang of picks.

Williams? Who else are they going to trade to get brees? Fitz and spiller?

Brees is an enigma to me. In San Diego, he was not great... Surrounded by no talent and the battalion of great wr's, te, and rb's he's flourished. But his career didn't start off terribly different than fitz's.

For me this season he proves he is a top 10 qb in the nfl, of the bills draft a qb in rd 1

Brees is an enigma to me. In San Diego, he was not great... Surrounded by no talent and the battalion of great wr's, te, and rb's he's flourished. But his career didn't start off terribly different than fitz's.

For me this season he proves he is a top 10 qb in the nfl, of the bills draft a qb in rd 1

He did better than remembered in SD.

Its funny because Greg(Dr. Bounty)Williams wanted to draft Brees when he came out of Purdue.

Brees with Freddie, CJ ,Stevie would tear the AFC up. If Fitz can score vs. the Pats Brees would put up 50.

Brees on this team.... Lord we would be an instant Super Bowl contender.

Anybody that thinks differently don't know Football.

Edited by Bufcomments

Love all the people that want to trade the one thing we've finally got - depth - away for one guy who is the wrong side of 30 and wanting way too much.

Its funny because Greg(Dr. Bounty)Williams wanted to draft Brees when he came out of Purdue.

Brees with Freddie, CJ ,Stevie would tear the AFC up. If Fitz can score vs. the Pats Brees would put up 50.

Brees on this team.... Lord we would be an instant Super Bowl contender.

Anybody that thinks differently don't know Football.

Offense doesn't win Super Bowls. We don't need more lost Super Bowls.

How can anyone guarantee success when there is little proof to substantiate it. Very few QB's (even the great ones) have success on other teams other than the one they were originally successful on. Look at Joe Montana and others who've tried and never really reached that level elsewhere. That's why you'll NEVER see Brady on any team but the pats IMO. Let's wait and see what P. Manning does in Denver too. I also agree Brees won't be going anywhere, but either way there are no guarantees and disagreeing or voting no isn't crazy.

Joe Montana went to the Chiefs in 1993 and let them to the AFC championship game and then took them to the playoffs again the following year.

Exactly!! The with defense Nix put together over the past few seasons (especially this offseason), adding Brees would make the Bills an instant Superbowl contender.

This, but what would we have to give to get him?

Nope. Brees has enough in the tank with the right top team to win a championship but we're not that team. Our line wouldn't be able to keep up with this passing, our offense is not designed to suit him. Getting Brees now would be a 2 year band-aid where we might have built the team up enough to win. This is a cold, outdoor stadium not an indoor stadium and bringing him will only shorten his career span.

Plus, his attitude would be a disruption to this team. His "me" first BS is pathetic. Stop with the Brees threads, he's a douche.

Really? you mean all 4-5 wides we ran last year with the fewest sacks? Yeah Brees would be horrible behind that line :doh:

This, but what would we have to give to get him?

Really? you mean all 4-5 wides we ran last year with the fewest sacks? Yeah Brees would be horrible behind that line :doh:

Brees is not as quick to pass the ball as Fitz. Dare I say Fitz is good at getting the ball out very quick. I haven't seen that in Brees.

He did better than remembered in SD.

Maybe, I remember pretty well, one season out of 5 that you could say he far out played the level our guy demonstrated to date. Not well enough to hold off rivers who was only a few year behind him in age. I also remember he went to a New Orleans offense that was making aaron brooks look pretty good. Not slighting Brees just pointing out the impact of offensive strategy, line, coaching, defense, wr's and rbs.

Point is football is team team game. The team builds around its core and staffs to optimize the strengths of the core. I am not so sure fitz can't have a 109 season passer rating with the right cast.

Maybe denver will be different, but I have yet to see fulfilling that one player away void produce a superbowl trophy.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

why would anybody say no!

Easiest question ever. should be 100 %. Let's see, should we trade for a top QB or keep a Turnover machine that could be the reason we don't make the playoffs. but alas as I'm typing this it's only 95 to 77 in favor of a trade. It won't happen but.... 77 say No.. incredible but nothing surprises me anymore on this board.

Maybe, I remember pretty well, one season out of 5 that you could say he far out played the level our guy demonstrated to date. Not well enough to hold off rivers who was only a few year behind him in age. I also remember he went to a New Orleans offense that was making aaron brooks look pretty good. Not slighting Brees just pointing out the impact of offensive strategy, line, coaching, defense, wr's and rbs.

Point is football is team team game. The team builds around its core and staffs to optimize the strengths of the core. I am not so sure fitz can't have a 109 season passer rating with the right cast.

Maybe denver will be different, but I have yet to see fulfilling that one player away void produce a superbowl trophy.

Dear lord. This thread is spectacular.

Aaron brooks never played with Sean Peyton as coach, no?

Also, in SD, outside of his worst season- he was pretty consistently better than fitzs best. There's a reason he was given the same deal fitz got but 6 years earlier (ie much bigger portion of the cap) and without a shoulder. He played pretty well in SD. He very much did hold off rivers but injury gave excuse to pass the job to the high draft pick. His last two years in San Diego were a better than 2-1 td-int ratio, about 7.5 yard average, and 65% completions.

This is not Case Keemun at Houston, this is a superbowl MVP qb. His last 8 years have all topped fitzs best season. And don't give me the ribs nonsense- drew played on a bum knee in 2010, with street free agents at rb, and his first year in new Orleans his shoulder wasn't healed yet. Great players play through it. Good players struggle. Fitz is good, but..... This is a guy that broke records for completion percentage, and yardage- that's win superbowl mvp, that's played big for two teams. And has led the saints to among the most consistent teams in the league.

Brees is not as quick to pass the ball as Fitz. Dare I say Fitz is good at getting the ball out very quick. I haven't seen that in Brees.

Just mind boggling to read some of this. His quick release is noted in nearly every description I've ever seen. Here's some sack stats (granted not new, but an idea) for the saints.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/7141/sacks-have-been-rare-with-brees-payton

Edited by NoSaint

Wow! You are so biased. Don't let your personal feeling skew the reality that Brees is a way better QB and has no trouble getting the ball out quickly. :oops:

I'd trade Fitz and Spiller in a heart beat for Brees.

The discussion is just a circle-jerk unless you realistically look at how the loss of draft picks, current players and dollars, which could be used to support the lineup. The loss in those 3 areas would hurt this franchise much more than it would help.

I voted - No.

We don't really have the cap room to do so. On top of giving up the picks needed is a steep price. Brees is going to make 20+ million. We can trade them 2 1st's and Fitz and give him a new deal but Brees is likely going to make 10+ million more than Fitz which would really eat into our cap and likely Byrd or Levitre would have to go. We would also be giving up at least 2 1st rounders which would really hurt our draft resources to build further talent.

Also no way the Saints do that type of deal.