Baltimore Inner Harbor family weekend suggestions....

planning a family trip to Baltimore with my parents, my 2 sisters and all of our kids. Looking for 3 rooms to split between us all. My parents made reservations at Hampton in the Inner Harbor, but that is gonna run 400/family for the rooms alone. Are there options that get us within close proximity to the inner harbor that would be more ecomomical(ie cheaper?) I see the airport region has a lot of options but how easy is it for a group to get to and from the Inner Harbor area? are there other areas closer by that would still be affordable? I am not familiar with Baltimore so i don't know what areas are 'safe' or not.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

planning a family trip to Baltimore with my parents, my 2 sisters and all of our kids. Looking for 3 rooms to split between us all. My parents made reservations at Hampton in the Inner Harbor, but that is gonna run 400/family for the rooms alone. Are there options that get us within close proximity to the inner harbor that would be more ecomomical(ie cheaper?) I see the airport region has a lot of options but how easy is it for a group to get to and from the Inner Harbor area? are there other areas closer by that would still be affordable? I am not familiar with Baltimore so i don't know what areas are 'safe' or not.

I think the Preakness is this weekend.

After that I'm not sure what there is to do in Balt. I hear the O's park is nice.

You could buy everyone a taser and go around zapping bums. There are tons of them.

Pooj, as mentioned if it is Preakness weekend you are going, rooms are tough. Airport is 15 minutes to Inner Harbour, easy commute.What I would is reserve some rooms downtown with a 24 hr cancellation policy, the name your own price on Priceline day before. I use Priceline all the time, pm me and and I can walk through hints on how to get best deals?

Lots to do in Bmore, but do not miss Faidleys in the Lexington Market for crab cakes. Also, go to Cross Street Market in Federal Hill for happy hour great seafood and cheap beer!

Edited by plenzmd1

my apologies...going august 10-12...

Pooj, as mentioned if it is Preakness weekend you are going, rooms are tough. Airport is 15 minutes to Inner Harbour, easy commute.What I would is reserve some rooms downtown with a 24 hr cancellation policy, the name your own price on Priceline day before. I use Priceline all the time, pm me and and I can walk through hints on how to get best deals?

Lots to do in Bmore, but do not miss Faidleys in the Lexington Market for crab cakes. Also, go to Cross Street Market in Federal Hill for happy hour great seafood and cheap beer!

What I would is reserve some rooms downtown with a 24 hr cancellation policy, the name your own price on Priceline day before. I use Priceline all the time, pm me and and I can walk through hints on how to get best deals?

i used Priceline years ago (the bidding option) and got the Brookshire Suites, I don't remember the price, but it was much less than their normal price. My room looked over an alley to the building next door, but I didn't care, spent most of my time walking around.

There's also a Days Inn nearby.

Stay east of MLK Blvd.

Stay east of MLK Blvd.

Do not go to West Baltimore.

Fells Point, the Harbor, Mt. Vernon are o.k

If you stray far from the nest, and notice that you are on Belair Rd, Orleans Ave., Northern Ave. look for any red and blue sign for ___95 and follow them. If you're having difficulty identifying the street names, a good indicator that you're beyond the safe zone is when the general ambiance becomes depressed and off-tan, boarded row houses appear out of nowhere, and you see various permutations of the following buildings consecutively on the same block:

KFC - Dedicated Liquor Store - Dedicated Check cashing spot - mom and pop ghetto food spot (which is usually some proper name followed by "Soul" + "food," "diner," "cuisine," or any permutation of the aforementioned + "n-carry.") -barber shop - abandoned building with club flyers, DJ self promotion, independent record label announcement or local community organizer contact information plastered on 8 x 11 paper - combination check cashing and liquor store - Popeyes - place that sells incents, bootleg dvds and NOI literature.

If you see blocks that reflect this pattern, you're probably on one of the aforementioned throughways and should quickly seek safety. You've gone beyond the safe zone.

Also, avoid Druid Hill Park (commonly referred to as "Dru Hill"). It sounds utopic and cute but it's really just a place to get your ass kicked.

And watch The Wire.

Good Luck.

Oh yea, if you venture into a neighborhood of row houses and everyone is watching you intently - especially from on top of buildings, try to not be mesmerized by the kids clapping to send the building pigeons flying. That is not for entertainment value. It is a hopper call and you should leave.

Edited by Juror#8

Aquarium, Babe Ruth Museum, Top of the World trade Center (yes, Balt. has one too, only 29 stories), Little Italy for dinner, (Vaccaro's for dessert!) Crabs at Bo Brook's or Obrickey's, Science Museum, Fell's Point, hang out at the Inner Harbor pavilions, ride the Water Taxi for a great tour of the harbor.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Aquarium, Babe Ruth Museum, Top of the World trade Center (yes, Balt. has one too, only 29 stories), Little Italy for dinner, (Vaccaro's for dessert!) Crabs at Bo Brook's or Obrickey's, Science Museum, Fell's Point, hang out at the Inner Harbor pavilions, ride the Water Taxi for a great tour of the harbor.

PTR

Obrickeys on Pratt closed last year. :(

IF the O's are in town, definitely take a trip to Camden yards. The Baltimore Aquarium is one of the best I've been to and you should definitely check that out as well. Little Italy is right behind the aquarium and its kinda neat, but nothing like Mulberry St. in NYC.

PTR

You are just scratching the surface - this a fairly accurate description of many things to do.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60811-Activities-Baltimore_Maryland.html#TtD

And go see the Orioles. Not sure of your age range, but try to hit local bars/restaurants before or after.

Edited by Max Fischer

You are just scratching the surface - this a fairly accurate description of many things to do.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60811-Activities-Baltimore_Maryland.html#TtD

And go see the Orioles. Not sure of your age range, but try to hit local bars/restaurants before or after.

You're right. How could I have forgotten the B&O Railroad museum? Move that one top of the list! And if Daddy needs some "me time" slip away and head to "The Block." Although it ain't quite what it used to be. I think Pollack Johnny's is still there.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You're right. How could I have forgotten the B&O Railroad museum? Move that one top of the list! And if Daddy needs some "me time" slip away and head to "The Block." Although it ain't quite what it used to be. I think Pollack Johnny's is still there.

PTR

And if disease or getting caught up in a police raid isn't your thing, you could just head to Hooters.

(and the B&O is pretty cool)

Edited by Max Fischer

I live in MD but stayed at the inner harbor Residence Inn last year with my wife for a concert. Pretty good for families since they have the kitchen in room. Easy walk to/from the harbor. Not sure how the price compares to the Hampton Inn though. Some of the airport hotels popping up are really nice. Very bland area though, like staying out near Buffalo airport. Easy 10-12 minute ride into downtown B-more though. Parking by the harbor is kind of a pain and expensive depending on the events going on that weekend. You do have to valet it at the downtown hotels and pay anyway so parking is never really free....but at least you can walk back and forth to your hotel.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bwihb-residence-inn-baltimore-downtown-inner-harbor/

can you use light rail to get into the inner harbor from the airport area? that's gonna be about 45 minutes, correct? i would imagine there are day passes for transit...would need to see if 15 day passes is cheaper than 32/day/car valet

I live in MD but stayed at the inner harbor Residence Inn last year with my wife for a concert. Pretty good for families since they have the kitchen in room. Easy walk to/from the harbor. Not sure how the price compares to the Hampton Inn though. Some of the airport hotels popping up are really nice. Very bland area though, like staying out near Buffalo airport. Easy 10-12 minute ride into downtown B-more though. Parking by the harbor is kind of a pain and expensive depending on the events going on that weekend. You do have to valet it at the downtown hotels and pay anyway so parking is never really free....but at least you can walk back and forth to your hotel.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bwihb-residence-inn-baltimore-downtown-inner-harbor/

can you use light rail to get into the inner harbor from the airport area? that's gonna be about 45 minutes, correct? i would imagine there are day passes for transit...would need to see if 15 day passes is cheaper than 32/day/car valet

Light rail from airport is OK, but savings are not worth the hassle (especially after O's game). Just stay downtown and pay for the parking. Any hotel along Pratt street or in Fell's Point would work well. On nice days you could walk just about anywhere from your hotel, and you could use your car to get to Fort McHenry.

• 4 weeks later...