Competition at the QB position

Myself personally, I can understand why controversy among fans develops when it comes to competition at the QB position. Everyone has there own perception/player in mind when it comes to the QB position and how the position itself it should be handled.

In my opinion competition in all positions is a good thing, including the QB position. Its up to a solid chain of command to stem/stop problems before they ever start. Throughout the league you see teams addressing the QB position aggressively. John Elway didn't need to draft Brock Osweiler, he has Peyton Manning, Elways not worried about a QB controversy. How about the Redskins and RGIII, they didn't need to use another high draft pick on a signal caller, but realize putting to much pressure on RGIII could hurt his development, so they brought in competition at the position to help.

The Green Bay Packers are always looking to upgrade the QB position, as is the Patriots or the Jets because when you have good coaches coaching the QB position, Its the wise thing to do. Good QB are worth their weight in gold as future trade bait. We have the best most innovative coach/QB guru in the league in Chan Gailey and should/could be using his expertise to strengthen the Buffalo Bills franchise. If the Bills grew QB's, like we do CB's, we would have won a Championship by now.

What I would like to also point it is sometimes finding the right player for the right scheme or system to fit their skill set is just as important as a players past statistically, the two don't always mesh together right the 1st time around. QB's competing, compete with the scheme/system, the opposition, and the elements.QB's in the NFL have enough to worry about and just need to focus on their job, which is learning/ running the offense, and helping their team win.(Being an obedient understudy without causing waves is part of the job description as backup)

Poor QB play creates controversy, not the backup...

NOTE: In my mind/opinion Ryan Fitzpatrick is the undisputed(by me anyway) Champion at the QB position throughout the 2013 Buffalo Bills Football season, there is no controversy, this is Fitzy's team/time

Edited by Fig Newton

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself personally, I can understand why controversy among fans develops when it comes to competition at the QB position. Everyone has there own perception/player in mind when it comes to the QB position and how the position itself it should be handled.

In my opinion competition in all positions is a good thing, including the QB position. Its up to a solid chain of command to stem/stop problems before they ever start. Throughout the league you see teams addressing the QB position aggressively. John Elway didn't need to draft Brock Osweiler, he has Peyton Manning, Elways not worried about a QB controversy. How about the Redskins and RGIII, they didn't need to use another high draft pick on a signal caller, but realize putting to much pressure on RGIII could hurt his development, so they brought in competition at the position to help.

The Green Bay Packers are always looking to upgrade the QB position, as is the Patriots or the Jets because when you have good coaches coaching the QB position, Its the wise thing to do. Good QB are worth their weight in gold as future trade bait. We have the best most innovative coach/QB guru in the league in Chan Gailey and should/could be using his expertise to strengthen the Buffalo Bills franchise. If the Bills grew QB's, like we do CB's, we would have won a Championship by now.

What I would like to also point it is sometimes finding the right player for the right scheme or system is just as important as a players past statistically. QB's competing, compete with the scheme/system, the opposition, and the elements.QB's in the NFL have enough to worry about and just need to focus on their job, which is learning, running the offense.

Just going out on a limb here, but I don't think the Pack or the Pats are actively seeking QB upgrades at this time.

Just going out on a limb here, but I don't think the Pack or the Pats are actively seeking QB upgrades at this time.

Don't go too far out on that limb then...Upgrading the position doesn't mean upgrading the starter. You do realize there are 2 or 3 guys on their rosters who play QB right? Teams can still try and upgrade the 2nd and 3rd guys in case something happens to their top guy.

Don't go too far out on that limb then...Upgrading the position doesn't mean upgrading the starter. You do realize there are 2 or 3 guys on their rosters who play QB right? Teams can still try and upgrade the 2nd and 3rd guys in case something happens to their top guy.

Really? Thanks for the info.

The Patriots turned Matt Cassel into gold as trade bait and got there guy again in Mallet already. Just because they may not draft every single season because the cards don't fall their way, does not mean they are not actively looking to upgrade the QB position. QB still has to fall within their wheelhouse they have an interest in which doesn't always happen.

Note:Matt Flynn was not traded, my mistake

Edited by Fig Newton

The QB position in my opinion is the one and oly position on a team where competition isn't a benefit. If you need to bring someone in to push your QB to do better than you have the wrong guy at the helm. To many times since Kelly left the Bills have been wishy washy on a QB. it seems there is always a QB competition for the starting job. The Bills have finally settled on a QB lets just go with it.

All of your examples are flawed.

Denver - Brock was brought in to be a possible successor to Manning not push him. Manning only has a few years left to play. Manning doesn't need anyone to fuel his competitive fire.

New England - Brady isn't getting any younger. NE would be stupid to not and try to find someone to replace him. To many teams have a pro bowl super bowl winning QB without much of a backup plan. Look at the COlts last year. It cost Polian his job.

Green Bay - Same as New England.

Jets - Please the only reason they brought Tebow in was to sell PCL's and Season tickets. The Jets have struggled with this since the builidng of the new stadium.

The Packers just turned Flynn into gold as trade bait and will now bring Graham Harrell up through the ranks. Patriots got there guy in Mallet already. Just because they may not draft every single season because the cards don't fall their way, does not mean they are not actively looking to upgrade the QB position. QB still has to fall within their wheelhouse they have an interest in which doesn't always happen.

Didn't Flynn leave GB as a free agent?

I agree with the OP.

Competition is always a good thing.

The QB position is no different in that regard than any other and it baffles me why some think it is.

Ever hear the saying, "When you have two starting left tackles, you don't have any?" Me neither. In that regard, QB is very much different than every other position.

Yes, competition is great. But there is a legit reason why teams treat QB competitions differently.

GO BILLS!!!

Ever hear the saying, "When you have two starting left tackles, you don't have any?" Me neither. In that regard, QB is very much different than every other position.

Yes, competition is great. But there is a legit reason why teams treat QB competitions differently.

GO BILLS!!!

By the time the season starts you need to have a clear starter.

I agree that two starters at the QB position is a bad thing.

But to have a starting QB set in stone before the first practice to me is counter productive.

By the time the season starts you need to have a clear starter.

I agree that two starters at the QB position is a bad thing.

But to have a starting QB set in stone before the first practice to me is counter productive.

I think that depends entirely on the team and its particular dynamics at a particular time.

In the Bills' case it makes perfect sense for Fitz to be named the starter now. It makes as much sense for the Bills to name Fitz their starter as it does NE naming Brady their starter.

disclaimer: I am in no way remotely saying Fitz is as good as Brady.

GO BILLS!!!

There is a difference between opening up competition for the QB position and preparing for the future/getting depth. Denver is preparing for the future. New England is preparing for the future. Green Bay isn't even close to looking for an upgrade at QB. Buffalo is simply addressing depth by creating a competition for the #2 spot.

If Ryan Fitzpatrick shows that he isn't the long-term solution at QB for Buffalo, his long-term replacement is not on this roster. No one is pushing him at all.

Young was brought in to be competition for the position of back-up, not competition for the position of starter. Osweiler and Cousins were brought in to be competition for back-ups. But it is still improving the team, and back-up QB is an important position for a team that has its sights on being in the playoffs.

Young was brought in to be competition for the position of back-up, not competition for the position of starter. Osweiler and Cousins were brought in to be competition for back-ups. But it is still improving the team, and back-up QB is an important position for a team that has its sights on being in the playoffs.

always honored to have your input Kelly the Dog...

The QB position in my opinion is the one and oly position on a team where competition isn't a benefit. If you need to bring someone in to push your QB to do better than you have the wrong guy at the helm. To many times since Kelly left the Bills have been wishy washy on a QB. it seems there is always a QB competition for the starting job. The Bills have finally settled on a QB lets just go with it.

All of your examples are flawed.

Denver - Brock was brought in to be a possible successor to Manning not push him. Manning only has a few years left to play. Manning doesn't need anyone to fuel his competitive fire.

New England - Brady isn't getting any younger. NE would be stupid to not and try to find someone to replace him. To many teams have a pro bowl super bowl winning QB without much of a backup plan. Look at the COlts last year. It cost Polian his job.

Green Bay - Same as New England.

Jets - Please the only reason they brought Tebow in was to sell PCL's and Season tickets. The Jets have struggled with this since the builidng of the new stadium.

My examples are teams bringing in QB prospects without concern for a QB controversy, and what makes you think battles aren't happening for the backup role?

Posters want to argue VY creates QB controversy, so what does that really tell you?

Edited by Fig Newton

John Elway didn't need to draft Brock Osweiler, he has Peyton Manning, Elways not worried about a QB controversy.

How about the Redskins and RGIII, they didn't need to use another high draft pick on a signal caller, but realize putting to much pressure on RGIII could hurt his development, so they brought in competition at the position to help.

The Green Bay Packers are always looking to upgrade the QB position

We have the best most innovative coach/QB guru in the league in Chan Gailey

:D Totally agree with the underlined statement. :huh: -Not really feeling the rest of them.

First of all, OF COURSE Elway needed a kid to groom behind Manning. Tebow wasn't the guy, and Peyton is pushing forty, coming off major surgery. Why in the world would that organization have passed on Ossie?

Also, how exactly is taking the fourth best QB on the draft board supposed to take pressure off RG3??? Clearly Shannahan wants to win NOW, and grabbed Cousins as an insurance policy.

The Greenbay Packer thing was just hilarious. :lol:

And will someone PLEASE explain to me why Galey is still considered a guru? Since having limited success in the early 90's, The guy has been fired from almost every job he's ever had! He's not all that, Just ask Tyler Thigpen and Josh Nesbitt.

It's good to be positive, but sometimes those murky homer goggles need a good cleaning-off. -Just sayin'.

Edited by #34fan

:D Totally agree with the underlined statement. :huh: -Not really feeling the rest of them.

First of all, OF COURSE Elway needed a kid to groom behind Manning. Tebow wasn't the guy, and Peyton is pushing forty, coming off major surgery. Why in the world would that organization have passed on Ossie?

Also, how exactly is taking the fourth best QB on the draft board supposed to take pressure off RG3??? Clearly Shannahan wants to win NOW, and grabbed Cousins as an insurance policy.

The Greenbay Packer thing was just hilarious. :lol:

And will someone PLEASE explain to me why Galey is still considered a guru? Since having limited success in the early 90's, The guy has been fired from almost every job he's ever had! He's not all that, Just ask Tyler Thigpen and Josh Nesbitt.

It's good to be positive, but sometimes those murky homer goggles need a good cleaning-off. -Just sayin'.

The Packers things hilarious, but yet they went from Brett Favre, one HOF QB to Aaron Rodgers another, and now watch Graham Harrell climb the ladder to success under the proper coaching/system.

Fitzpatrick was supposed to be a career backup, and that alone should tell you something. Gailey is the only coach in the league that could take a signal caller like Kordell Stewart deep into the playoffs.

just sayin