Competition at the QB position

I think that depends entirely on the team and its particular dynamics at a particular time.

In the Bills' case it makes perfect sense for Fitz to be named the starter now. It makes as much sense for the Bills to name Fitz their starter as it does NE naming Brady their starter.

disclaimer: I am in no way remotely saying Fitz is as good as Brady.

GO BILLS!!!

Regarding the disclaimer, you kind of are saying Fitz is as good as Brady aren't you? At least relatively speaking.

The reason why you could name Brady the starter for the Pats* is because he is obviously a first ballot HOFer and far superior to whatever backup QB in on that team.

To name Fitz the starter now would imply the same is true of him (minus the HOFer part) on the Bills. No?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people are complaining about having competition at any spot on a team.I wouldn't want any player on my team thinking they can sit back and be comfortable in their spot. I want the entire team to play like they could lose their job.

It never hurts to be stocked with more talent then you need. If VY ends up challenging Fitz for the starter spot its hardly a bad thing, unless you bought your Fitz jersey last year and are afraid it will join the Collins, Johnson, Flutie, Losman, Edwards and Holcomb jerseys in your closet soon. If Vince Young is challenging Fitz for the starters spot, it means they have someone who is playing as good, or better then the starter.

But everyone can relax, Nix has said a few times already that Fitz is the starter, and Young is here to compete for the #2 spot with Thigpen, he said the team knows it, the coaching staff knows it, and young knows it. Everyone except a bunch of fans seem to know it

Regarding the disclaimer, you kind of are saying Fitz is as good as Brady aren't you? At least relatively speaking.

The reason why you could name Brady the starter for the Pats* is because he is obviously a first ballot HOFer and far superior to whatever backup QB in on that team.

To name Fitz the starter now would imply the same is true of him (minus the HOFer part) on the Bills. No?

Not at all.

HOFer or not, Fitz is named the starter now because he is "the man" in that locker room. It's his team to lose.

Has nothing to do with his relative HOF credentials at all.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't get why people are complaining about having competition at any spot on a team.I wouldn't want any player on my team thinking they can sit back and be comfortable in their spot. I want the entire team to play like they could lose their job.

It never hurts to be stocked with more talent then you need. If VY ends up challenging Fitz for the starter spot its hardly a bad thing, unless you bought your Fitz jersey last year and are afraid it will join the Collins, Johnson, Flutie, Losman, Edwards and Holcomb jerseys in your closet soon. If Vince Young is challenging Fitz for the starters spot, it means they have someone who is playing as good, or better then the starter.

But everyone can relax, Nix has said a few times already that Fitz is the starter, and Young is here to compete for the #2 spot with Thigpen, he said the team knows it, the coaching staff knows it, and young knows it. Everyone except a bunch of fans seem to know it

I know what the Bills have said publicly.

I also have a hard time believing that if, and that's a VERY big if, VY or any other QB lights it up in camp and preseason that he sits in favor of Fitz simply because of Fitzs contract or perceived locker room karma.

He who plays best, plays. At least that's my (and I would hope ChaNix's) philosophy.

But ultimately even though VY is physically superior to Fitz, his $0.10 brain is going to hold him back from dethroning Fitz in my opinion.

I know what the Bills have said publicly.

I also have a hard time believing that if, and that's a VERY big if, VY or any other QB lights it up in camp and preseason that he sits in favor of Fitz simply because of Fitzs contract or perceived locker room karma.

He who plays best, plays. At least that's my (and I would hope ChaNix's) philosophy.

But ultimately even though VY is physically superior to Fitz, his $0.10 brain is going to hold him back from dethroning Fitz in my opinion.

Haven't we learned by now that "lighting it up" in camp means essentially nothing? VY will NOT be getting reps with the ones. VY has never played a stretch of NFL football as productive as what Fitz did over the first seven games of 2011. Fitz is the starter, until he's either hurt or plays so badly there is no choice. He won't be unseated because of anything VY (or anyone else) does in training camp or a preseason game.

That's not "stifling" competition, by the way -- it's preparing your undisputed starting QB for the season.

Thanks for your post,

The main purpose for my thread was to try and ease the ever growing concern of a QB controversy taking place in Buffalo and how in many instances upgrading the position is very beneficial and normal operations for most franchises.

There are benefits to not having your starting QB position up for grabs every season. Look at what Fitz was able to do by bonding with the offense over the past two years. There was an interesting piece in ESPN Magazine a couple years ago that Aaron Rodgers started to do the same thing before Favre announced his return. This is what good QBs do and throwing open the starting job prevents the locker room from bonding.

Furthermore, not all people (and therefore players) perform their best under intense, constant competition. I'm not advocating never having competition, but I'm not sure any of us would be great at our jobs if our bosses hired someone every year and said: "If this person looks better than you on some sample projects, you're fired." Good coaches and bosses know what buttons to push on which players and when to push them.

As a side note, I think that there are different definitions of what it means to "compete" for the starting QB position. There's equal first team offense snaps on day one. There's giving a guy a few more chances if he looks good during the first couple preseason games. There's having a quick hook if the starter struggles during the regular season. And there's contemplating that you might replace a starter if he really struggles.

Thanks for your post,

The main purpose for my thread was to try and ease the ever growing concern of a QB controversy taking place in Buffalo and how in many instances upgrading the position is very beneficial and normal operations for most franchises.

Concern about an ever growing QB controversy? In who's mind? Jerry Sullivan's?

GO BILLS!!!

There are benefits to not having your starting QB position up for grabs every season. Look at what Fitz was able to do by bonding with the offense over the past two years. There was an interesting piece in ESPN Magazine a couple years ago that Aaron Rodgers started to do the same thing before Favre announced his return. This is what good QBs do and throwing open the starting job prevents the locker room from bonding.

Furthermore, not all people (and therefore players) perform their best under intense, constant competition. I'm not advocating never having competition, but I'm not sure any of us would be great at our jobs if our bosses hired someone every year and said: "If this person looks better than you on some sample projects, you're fired." Good coaches and bosses know what buttons to push on which players and when to push them.

As a side note, I think that there are different definitions of what it means to "compete" for the starting QB position. There's equal first team offense snaps on day one. There's giving a guy a few more chances if he looks good during the first couple preseason games. There's having a quick hook if the starter struggles during the regular season. And there's contemplating that you might replace a starter if he really struggles.

I was more referring to QB competition in general. You don't want to ignore the backup role for fear of causing a controversy at the starting QB position.

Again, developing signal callers can be very lucrative for a franchise.

Edited by Fig Newton

Haven't we learned by now that "lighting it up" in camp means essentially nothing? VY will NOT be getting reps with the ones. VY has never played a stretch of NFL football as productive as what Fitz did over the first seven games of 2011. Fitz is the starter, until he's either hurt or plays so badly there is no choice. He won't be unseated because of anything VY (or anyone else) does in training camp or a preseason game.

That's not "stifling" competition, by the way -- it's preparing your undisputed starting QB for the season.

I tend to agree eball, I don't think its even possible for another signal caller to take away Fitzpatrick's starting position on the team any time this season barring injury.

Best case scenario is that Vince Young will have the next season or two as Fitzpatricks understudy and Fitzpatrick will lead the Buffalo Bills into the playoffs.(I realize Young is only signed on for one season)

Fear of a QB controversy is real judging by many of the fans I've conversed with as of late.

I don't think it's fear of an actual QB controversy ie, there is real question in the mind of team management as to which QB is better and should be the starter as in Seattle with Jackson and Flynn

I think it's more fear of a locker-room controversy if VY's superior physical skills start turning the heads of the younger guys when he's taking reps against the 2nd team in training camp and/or any actions he might take

For what it's worth, having a fair and open competition for a position does not equal controversy.

It just means the coaching staff goes into camp with an open mind.

Stop monkeying around with your silly posts of logic here code,

It may unlock the door to a Buffalo Bills Championship one day... :flirt:

I don't think it's fear of an actual QB controversy ie, there is real question in the mind of team management as to which QB is better and should be the starter as in Seattle with Jackson and Flynn

I think it's more fear of a locker-room controversy if VY's superior physical skills start turning the heads of the younger guys when he's taking reps against the 2nd team in training camp and/or any actions he might take

VY impressing the younger players, now I can see that happening, but the good thing about that is it gives the whole 2nd string lineup the mindset to compete with the ones. Competition can be a good thing If its a team comes 1st mentality.

Edited by Fig Newton

Stop monkeying around with your silly posts of logic here code,

It may unlock the door to a Buffalo Bills Championship one day... :flirt:

VY impressing the younger players, now I can see that happening, but the good thing about that is it gives the whole 2nd string lineup the mindset to compete with the ones. Competition can be a good thing If its a team comes 1st mentality.

It was more to be nice and pad him then to sing praise

For what it's worth, having a fair and open competition for a position does not equal controversy.

It just means the coaching staff goes into camp with an open mind.

That's 100% true, unless the coaching staff believe they have an undisputed starter at a particular position. The Bills do, at starting QB.

I acknowledge there are some very reasonable fans who question Fitz' credentials and ability at the position -- but the Bills do not.

That's 100% true, unless the coaching staff believe they have an undisputed starter at a particular position. The Bills do, at starting QB.

I acknowledge there are some very reasonable fans who question Fitz' credentials and ability at the position -- but the Bills do not.

I can see your point as was discussed earlier viz a vie Brady.

I can't imagine with his arm that ChaNix would feel that way about Fitz. But they are running the show and not me.

And thats why right now, the Bills are going into training camp, and more then likely the season with Fitz as the starter and only the #2 QB spot up for grabs. Fitz is gonna get the reps with the #1's to get ready for the season and they will give Thigpen and Young reps with the #2's. Thats not to say though that if Fitz looks horrible, and Young or Thigpen look incredible that they won't change their mind. Fitz is the starter here, thats the way they are moving forward, but if someone else on this roster looks like they would give the team a better chance to win every game, I don't think Chan and Nix would be afraid to make a move and change the starter