Bills run defense

I`m for one worried about our run defense. I think we are soft in the middle, with the mlbs. Sheppard seems to not be the thumper we need. He has small shoulders and small upperbody type. Maybe being a rook, with not much training camp hurt. He just didn`t seem to fill the holes and shed blocks very good . This is my biggest concern going into the new season. Their isn`t too much at this position to be thrilled about.

No reason for you to discount Shep yet. And Wanny disagrees with you.

As for the run defense as a whole, the improved D line should help significantly. We'll just have to wait and see. Barnett and Morrison aren't chopped liver.

No reason for you to discount Shep yet. And Wanny disagrees with you.

As for the run defense as a whole, the improved D line should help significantly. We'll just have to wait and see. Barnett and Morrison aren't chopped liver.

This just seems like Mlb is now our weakest link...on paper. Not much depth.

I think it is very premature to worry about that. We haven't seen this defense work yet. And, Dareus is a beast. He could be a 3-4 nose if he played around 340, and I think that is close to where he was last year, so you add to that K. Williams, both in the middle, and you're going to see a bunch of run plays stuffed before the linebackers even get involved. Sure, there will be plays where the DT's get maneuvered out of plays, and running backs hit the hole, but I think we just have to wait and see what Sheppard is like before we make any judgments at all about him. He was a rookie last year without much of an offseason, and he improved throughout the year, AND he played in a different defense that was by all accounts horrible at the D-line level.

I'm thinking our defense this year is going to be in the top 10 in the NFL, and I think if the rookies play more mature than their years we could be better still.

You should be worried.

This was not addressed in the offseason and never is.

My hope is that Bradham and Carder can help the situation.

Middle linebacker is a black hole right now.

Yeah the D-line can`t stop everything. Sheppard will get dinged. Like I said he is small upperbody type. I really hope he breaks out,but I`m not holding my breath. Where is the depth ?

Yeah the D-line can`t stop everything. Sheppard will get dinged. Like I said he is small upperbody type. I really hope he breaks out,but I`m not holding my breath. Where is the depth ?

I am not sure I understand your "small upperbody type" comment. He is 6'2" and 250. Bigger than Keuchly who many here seemed to want. How big do you want him to be at MLB? That is plenty of size. I thought he looked decent when he finally saw the field last year. This will be a much better defensive scheme and better personnel. The Bills obvioulsy think pretty highly of him. Depth could be a concern if he goes down, but it is unclear to me how all these guys will fit in yet. Give it some time.

I`m for one worried about our run defense. I think we are soft in the middle, with the mlbs. Sheppard seems to not be the thumper we need. He has small shoulders and small upperbody type. Maybe being a rook, with not much training camp hurt. He just didn`t seem to fill the holes and shed blocks very good . This is my biggest concern going into the new season. Their isn`t too much at this position to be thrilled about.

We have 7 in the box and you're worried because our 1 MLB seems weak to you?

How much faith do you have in the other 6 guys?

How much faith do you have in Wanny?

While our run D didn't look good last year, we have a new DC and a new defensive scheme, as well as some new players. And Shep was only a rookie last year. Rookie's don't often look good. As eball says, Wanny seems to have faith in Shep and, for now, that's good enough for me.

I won't begin my worrying until the preseason.

I am not sure I understand your "small upperbody type" comment. He is 6'2" and 250. Bigger than Keuchly who many here seemed to want. How big do you want him to be at MLB? That is plenty of size. I thought he looked decent when he finally saw the field last year. This will be a much better defensive scheme and better personnel. The Bills obvioulsy think pretty highly of him. Depth could be a concern if he goes down, but it is unclear to me how all these guys will fit in yet. Give it some time.

Ever see him in a muscle shirt. Small shoulders,not much chest. Time will tell. Hope he pans out.

Judging from the Bills drafting and free agent signings, they are worried about the defense too. You are right to be worried. Until the Bills prove it for 16 games, they stink on defense.

I'd argue that you can't even address every position in madden.

It took me two offseasons to get fix the Bills in last years Madden. For any other gamers out there: Do you like how realistic the offline franchise mode has become over the past few years - bidding against other teams for FAs while on the clock and having to do your own scouting with limited resources among other "real" features?

Of course, you could just take control of all the teams and basically make any trades you want, which is to what Nishous was referring I assume.

Last I checked, the Bills run defense was 28th in the league while giving up a fat 4.8 ypc.

Until I see otherwise, our run defense sucks to put it mildly.

GO BILLS!!!

It took me two offseasons to get fix the Bills in last years Madden. For any other gamers out there: Do you like how realistic the offline franchise mode has become over the past few years - bidding against other teams for FAs while on the clock and having to do your own scouting with limited resources among other "real" features?

Of course, you could just take control of all the teams and basically make any trades you want, which is to what Nishous was referring I assume.

They really needs to fix this. It infuriates me that they don't update the rosters and you're forced to spend several hours fixing the rosters.

You can't address EVERY position in the offseason, this isn't madden lol. So we'll just have to wait and see

:thumbsup:

They really needs to fix this. It infuriates me that they don't update the rosters and you're forced to spend several hours fixing the rosters.

What kind of Dr. has that much time to update rosters in a video game?

You should be worried.

This was not addressed in the offseason and never is.

My hope is that Bradham and Carder can help the situation.

Middle linebacker is a black hole right now.

If Sheppard goes down, I'd expect Barnett to shift back to MLB.

With Williams and Dareus tying up blockers in front of him, Sheppard is immediately upgraded.

I agree with that. The problem is the depth if one of the big guys go down. Maybe we can sign a camp cut from another team who's specialty is stopping the run.

If you are connected online, they update the rosters about every two weeks during the season. You can also edit rosters however you see fit. For offline play.

What I was talking about is in Franchise mode - I started with the Bills actual roster current as of the beginning of last season, then trading and drafting players to make the Bills better. For example, I drafted a stud WR and traded for another. Same with the LBs. I also traded for Fred Davis. Had to replace guys who retire or had contracts expire and signed FAs. If you play by the intended rules, which are similar to real life limitations, it took me 2 offseasons to address all the needs.

Sorry to go off topic. When the new one comes out I'll start a thread to see if anyone wants to join an online franchise. It's a lot of fun. In recent years, Stevie Johnson and Torrell Troup have played in our leagues.