Tim Graham back to sports desk at News

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a demotion, TBNs Margaret Sullivan probably wasn't too impressed with his general interest stories which weren't very interesting or good

I doubt that. His stories were excellent. Did you read them?

I really think that Rock must have been fired. He took Allen Wilson's place on the Bills beat when Allen got sick...........He is now suspended for plagiarism, so I suspect he is probably gone now and Tim is taking his place.

I hope that's not the case, because I like Rodney, but I suspect that it is.

Well, I just find it odd, particularly in a "congratulatory" thread that TG will probably read. Seems out of place. You're entitled to write whatever you want, and I'm entitled to question it. That's all.

Missed that in the title. I like Tim's work for sure and I miss his contributions to this site, but the coddling and "kid glove" treatment is a joke. He is a grown man and can take a little negative response from people. If he can't, then blogging is not for him.

Missed that in the title. I like Tim's work for sure and I miss his contributions to this site, but the coddling and "kid glove" treatment is a joke. He is a grown man and can take a little negative response from people. If he can't, then blogging is not for him.

Question. Why is it everytime Sullivan writes on the Bills he is skinned alive here, but Graham is like Caesars wife? Above reproach? I know he had a pinned post here, but come on, is he that good?

To those wondering (iike myself), here's Alan Pergament on Rodney.

http://stilltalkintv.com/2012/04/the-news-suspends-sports-reporter/

Thanks - I should have went back and found that link. That is where I had originally read it, and probably the only place you can find anything on it. Pergy is usually on the News' case about things, and they haven't seemed to have reported this anywhere that I ever saw.....I'd really like to know what exactly Rodney did. But, I suspect it must be bad enough that they have gone from a one month suspension to firing him. Ergo - moving Tim Graham to Bills coverage.

Question. Why is it everytime Sullivan writes on the Bills he is skinned alive here, but Graham is like Caesars wife? Above reproach? I know he had a pinned post here, but come on, is he that good?

Sully can find a cloud even on the sunniest day and some of us have grown sick of his whining. There are times when Sully says stupid, negative things seemingly just to be controversial.

Tim, on the other hand, takes a more even-keeled, grounded, balanced approach. He's also better informed.

Tim ~ welcome back.

Edited by hondo in seattle

That's exactly it, Hondo. I think Sully is a good to very good writer. I think most of the News writers are good (except Bucky Gleason, who leaves me asking more questions usually than when I started the column or article).

But, Sully either can't give praise to another team without putting down a Buffalo team. Sees the dark cloud in everything. It just gets ridiculous some times.

If the TBN thought his "enterprise" reportings were any good they wouldn't be moving him to the rather banal role of Bills beat reporter. I'm sure he's not thrilled with the move as he certainly won't be up for any Pulitzers following the Bills daily doings. He and Sullivan think of themselves as a cut above mere sports reporters.

The TBN should come clean on what's going on w Mckissic

Simple. One guy speaks out of his ass and the other uses his brain, contacts and experience.

Based on TSW demographics, both have large and ardent followings...

If the TBN thought his "enterprise" reportings were any good they wouldn't be moving him to the rather banal role of Bills beat reporter. I'm sure he's not thrilled with the move as he certainly won't be up for any Pulitzers following the Bills daily doings. He and Sullivan think of themselves as a cut above mere sports reporters.

The TBN should come clean on what's going on w Mckissic

Although I'm no Sully fan, I can't agree with this. Unfortunately, I've never been able to develop the ability to read minds and just don't know what they think. I do know I like to read what Tim has to say about the Bills and usually avoid Sully's whinings.

That's exactly it, Hondo. I think Sully is a good to very good writer. I think most of the News writers are good (except Bucky Gleason, who leaves me asking more questions usually than when I started the column or article).

But, Sully either can't give praise to another team without putting down a Buffalo team. Sees the dark cloud in everything. It just gets ridiculous some times.

An my English professor used to say, "There are a lot of good writers in the world, but only a handful are willing to work." Sullivan is a lazy reporter. If he didn't have a job at Buffalo News, no one would pay attention to him. There's a lot of reporters who rely on having the podium instead of actually doing their jobs (a big reason a lot of them hate 'bloggers'). We'd be better off without them. The best thing that can be said about him is he crystallizes what is wrong with sports media and is a great example of what not to do.

An my English professor used to say, "There are a lot of good writers in the world, but only a handful are willing to work." Sullivan is a lazy reporter. If he didn't have a job at Buffalo News, no one would pay attention to him. There's a lot of reporters who rely on having the podium instead of actually doing their jobs (a big reason a lot of them hate 'bloggers'). We'd be better off without them. The best thing that can be said about him is he crystallizes what is wrong with sports media and is a great example of what not to do.

He's not a reporter. He's a columnist.

I don't like him, either.

He's not a reporter. He's a columnist.

I don't like him, either.

Yeah, you are right. Sully doesn't seem to have many contracts inside the Bills organization and rarely tells us anything we already didn't know.

Tim sometimes will have some interesting tidbits. Back in his prime, Larry Felser was able to dig up good info.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think there is a BIG difference between being a reporter and a columnist. Sully is a columnist. His job is to spew opinion, not report news.

His role is to insight conversation and considering how controversial he is, I think he's doing a pretty good job.

Edited by theesir