Alex Tanney - QB Monmouth.

PIZ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the knock on him is arm strength, touch, accuracy, and unwillingness to take chances.

Sounds like Trent Edwards to me.

Would you rather have a backup who can throw the football off a defender's helmet and into the arms of his receivers, or a backup that is the one getting hit in the helmet by the football.

Football?!??!?

Heck, I would KILL to have this guy on my team in a snow ball fight.

Meh, not impressed. Didn't J.Russel kneel on the 40 at Oakland Coliseum and throw it out of the stadium at practice?

Yeah, and Losman did something like that, too.

And Trent Edwards was featured on an episode of Sport Science for his football "physics".

We all should know by now how those 2 turned out.

And since I'm on the topic of Edwards, wasn't he bad-mouthing the Bills when he signed with Jacksonville?

Something like he was going to show us, or something....?

Would seem to me that it is Edwards that has been "shown"....the door yet again. :beer:

And Trent Edwards was featured on an episode of Sport Science for his football "physics".

We all should know by now how those 2 turned out.

And since I'm on the topic of Edwards, wasn't he bad-mouthing the Bills when he signed with Jacksonville?

Something like he was going to show us, or something....?

Would seem to me that it is Edwards that has been "shown"....the door yet again. :beer:

Apparently there's a few people here who believe Trent Edwards is the reason Vince Young is unemployed.

:)

I think I watched that same highlight package. But I got the impression he just threw the ball that needed to be thrown for the completion. I used to have this argument with people about Andrew Luck who said he didn't have a good arm. He changes up his throws depending on the specific play, and when he needs to gun it he guns it. When guys are wide open or he is leading them a lot, it looks like he lofts it but it is the easiest ball to catch. I'm NOT in any way making Andrew Luck comparisons to Alex Tanney. It is only to say a couple of those long balls that seemed like rainbows dropped right into the hands of open guys and maybe he just throws it like that when they are wide open. The trick shot video showed a strong arm with no rainbow, except a couple of the goalpost throws. Who knows though, you may be absolutely right, we have little to go on. I doubt he even makes it through pre-season but it would be fun if he does. He's a perfect kind of PS player.

I agree with what you're saying about the rainbows. Drew Bledsoe would also throw rainbows on deep patterns, and threw them in such a way as to make the ball drop into the receiver's hands. Bledsoe had a cannon of an arm. He deliberately threw the occasional rainbow anyway, because that's exactly the right throw for certain circumstances, exactly as you've implied.

I don't know whether Tanney will make the final roster. But I think he should make the final roster, unless the coaches are reasonably certain that Tyler Thigpen is the significantly better player. Given what we saw from Thigpen at the end of last season, and given what Tanney has shown us thus far, I would find it impossible to make the case that Thigpen is conclusively better. That being the case, why not give a chance to the guy with upside? The risk is that Tanney would do worse in a backup role than Thigpen would have done. But let's be realistic here: how much worse than Thigpen could Tanney possibly be?

I'd also like to hear input from those who may have watched his play at Monmouth. Did it seem like his supporting cast generally dominated defenses, or were they relatively evenly matched? I love the fact that Tanney has thrown for more yards than any other QB in Division III history. I'd like to know how much of that was him, and how much of that was his supporting cast.

Thanks, jw. 170 students? What, he came from a one room schoolhouse on the prairie?

Pretty close...45 full time teachers in the whole district.

I watched a bunch more Monmouth clips last night and I'm feeling better about the kid. Still don't see much of a rocket arm, but his field awareness is very good. His college team (ranked 17th in D-III) was just a machine against the opponnents they played, so he had a lot (in a relative sense) of talent around him.

It would be really cool if he could even make the PS. But a guy from D-III Augustana made it once, so there's a precedent...

Folks:

Here's a little piece that just moved on the wire on Alex Tanney.

AP Story

jw

Good stuff.

Let the battle between Aaron Corp and Alex Tanney commence. :)

But a guy from D-III Augustana made it once, so there's a precedent...

The pride of Batavia!!!

Illinois. He was an outstanding quarterback, just as effective from the pocket as he was rolling out… a guy who history doesn't pay proper justice to.

1336094538[/url]' post='2457761']

I agree with what you're saying about the rainbows. Drew Bledsoe would also throw rainbows on deep patterns, and threw them in such a way as to make the ball drop into the receiver's hands. Bledsoe had a cannon of an arm. He deliberately threw the occasional rainbow anyway, because that's exactly the right throw for certain circumstances, exactly as you've implied.

I don't know whether Tanney will make the final roster. But I think he should make the final roster, unless the coaches are reasonably certain that Tyler Thigpen is the significantly better player. Given what we saw from Thigpen at the end of last season, and given what Tanney has shown us thus far, I would find it impossible to make the case that Thigpen is conclusively better. That being the case, why not give a chance to the guy with upside? The risk is that Tanney would do worse in a backup role than Thigpen would have done. But let's be realistic here: how much worse than Thigpen could Tanney possibly be?

I'd also like to hear input from those who may have watched his play at Monmouth. Did it seem like his supporting cast generally dominated defenses, or were they relatively evenly matched? I love the fact that Tanney has thrown for more yards than any other QB in Division III history. I'd like to know how much of that was him, and how much of that was his supporting cast.

A day after he's signed to an tc tryout you think he should make the final roster? Eh

The bolded statement.... Wow. What has Tanney shown us? That he can make throws that will never be attempted in a game? Thigpens threw 18 tds to 132 ints one season. Tanney has done nothing vs nfl competition. He's done nothing vs good competition and is coming off shoulder surgery. He's shown me absolutely nothing except he can get a lot of views on YouTube. /golfclap. I'm not a big fan of thigpen, but to say Tanney has shown us more than thigpen is a joke. Simply untrue

Edited by NewEra

Last year, the NFL had something like five Division 3 players in the entire league (Garcon, Freddy Jackson, etc.). And, not a single QB. The only decent Division 3 QB ever that I can think of was Ken Anderson. The trick shots are great, but this kid has virtually no chance of ever making it onto an NFL roster.

Last year, the NFL had something like five Division 3 players in the entire league (Garcon, Freddy Jackson, etc.). And, not a single QB. The only decent Division 3 QB ever that I can think of was Ken Anderson. The trick shots are great, but this kid has virtually no chance of ever making it onto an NFL roster.

Exactly. It's a 100 to 1 shot to even make the practice squad. It will be hard for him to beat out Aaron Corp, who has a 100 to 1 chance to make an NFL team. Tanney, however, at least isn't just a trick play QB. He did throw for more TDs than anyone in NCAA history and is 6' 4" 220 with an NFL arm. If he didn't get hurt he probably would have been drafted, and there were teams that were calling him before the draft was over.

It's a fun story. He probably won't even be signed to a contract let alone make the team as a PS player, but it could be fun to watch. To me, it's like Jasper. A huge long shot and fun story and guy you can root for without expecting anything.

I am 100% behind this kid. Just like Fred Jackson coming out of nowhere. Maybe he can be our miracle guy. Let's support him instead of already deciding he is not going to make it.