Chan on Sirius this morning

So I missed most of the interview, but caught the last question. Ross cited some recent veteran F A pickups by teams, and asked if Bills are interested in any specific veterans..Chan replied with an emphatic yes. When asked who?...he declined, but shows they are not done tinkering with the roster just yet.

Ross and Bob also commented after the segment how they love talking to Chan and Buddy, prolly favorite pair in the league to speak with. Ross not sure whether his connection to the Bills, or just the good southern charm of both gents.

I know not much here, but hope someone else can fill in the rest of the interview.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not get too silly here.

It was said before the draft that they might pick up a veteran LB in FA.

Since the draft Nix said they were going to pick up another QB.

You're right. Oops. I'm on TBD.

Your write. :ph34r:

But have you seen the current crop of FA QBs? Fuggly looking list.

Maybe somebody decent will be a camp casualty.

Chan came on and said the following:

-Gilmore was a good pick not necessarily because they don't like the corners they had, but his potential to be better than them in the future.

-Glenn to them is a LT and only needs to lose a few pounds to be effective in NFL. Glenn told them when they talked to him that he feels like he could play well "around 330"

-He liked TJ Graham because he was a guy that could fly down the field and add more speed to their draft. Even though he is an unfinished product they feel they can develop him while he is producing for the team

-Mentioned last year was tough because of the injuries and hopefully they won't need their 4th LT or 4th center in the season

-Talked about Stevie's surgery and how "it's only minor surgery when it's not your kid"

The rest was covered by the OP

The way Nix talked about getting a QB and a "good one", it leads me to believe that they are going after someone specific. I won't be too surprised if there is a trade (either player-for-player or draft picks).

As a side note, I saw this ending to the Gaughan article in the Buffalo News and had to chuckle regarding the so-called media experts grading the Bills draft:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills coach Chan Gailey made it clear after Friday's third round picks that he's not losing any sleep over what kind of reviews the Bills receive.

"You use that term experts loosely, by the way," Gailey said.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

List now is just unwanteds or semi-retired

To make room, chances are good a few vets will be released in favor of UDFA and FA signings over the next month

I heard the whole thing while getting ready for work. Chan was Chan -- full of southern charm and folksy wit. In addition to what the other guys have posted, I picked up the following:

-- talked about drafting for need vs. BPA; said you can't go 100% either way -- it's always a discussion of how close two players are, and then taking need into account if they're close (common sense, yes -- but still nice to hear it from your HC).

-- they asked specifically about Fitz and injury last season; Chan confirmed the injury and said he thinks the production dropoff was a combination of lots of things (four Cs, several LTs, WR injuries). Then he said "but all of those things turn into excuses -- we have to be better." Finished that part of the discussion by saying if the Bills can stay reasonably healthy, Fitz is "the guy from the first seven games, not the last seven."

-- talked about how much respect Stevie earned from his teammates by playing hurt for most of the year.

-- confirmed what Buddy said about why Sanders dropped so far (bad Senior Bowl); talked about how intelligent the kid is, and said their hope is for him to provide depth, and possibly develop into a starter down the road.

-- when asked about Tank Carder, first thing out of Chan's mouth was, "boy, that's a great football name, isn't it?" He explained Tank dropping in the draft because he had a worse senior season than junior, and had a couple of injuries that limited him.

-- Chan had some interesting insight into the transition from rookie to professional; again, his folksy demeanor was great -- "you have to get these kids to understand they're leaving college football and going to their job. There's no going back to the apartment complex to hang out. Sundays are fun, but they're supposed to be. It's the work getting to that point that isn't always fun." (I'm paraphrasing)

-- said he and Buddy "sit around laughing" about where the team was when they got there, and where they are now. Said how much he appreciated Ralph and Buddy bringing him in, sharing the plan, and sticking to it. Chan said he feels they are "on the cusp of doing some special things."

Just a great interview; they had him on for nearly 15 minutes.

Whomever Chan is referring to when he responded with an emphatic yes doesn't need to be anything splashy for me--- a veteran backup QB or LB would be perfect. As much as I'm intrigued by Easley I also wouldn't mind a WR but I have no idea who's out there in FA. I haven't felt this good about a Bills' roster heading into the season since 2003, and that team had nowhere the cohesiveness and coaching competence in place now.

Edited by Punch

okay okay..."on the cusp" is a nice phrase that means you still had only 6 wins last season. Lets shut up and get on to those "special things". I'm impressed by this draft and the personnel moves to date...let's make it show in the win-loss record.

I heard the whole thing while getting ready for work. Chan was Chan -- full of southern charm and folksy wit. In addition to what the other guys have posted, I picked up the following:

<snip>

Thanks so much for this recap--- the players we've targeted in the draft and in FA for the most part have leadership qualities and great character. Chan Gailey fits that same profile and I absolutely beam with pride that he's our guy.

okay okay..."on the cusp" is a nice phrase that means you still had only 6 wins last season. Lets shut up and get on to those "special things". I'm impressed by this draft and the personnel moves to date...let's make it show in the win-loss record.

You're right, Chan should've refused to do the interview and instead spent his time petitioning the league to start the season early.

Go piss in somebody else's cornflakes, ok? This thread isn't the place for that. Feel free to start your own.

The way Nix talked about getting a QB and a "good one", it leads me to believe that they are going after someone specific. I won't be too surprised if there is a trade (either player-for-player or draft picks).

I would be (surprised if there's a player-for-player trade, or a trade for draft picks resulting in a QB acquisition). Unless it's a player trade that results in draft picks coming our way. Chix and Nailey loooove them draft picks. Might be some of those, if there's a market.

From Inside the Bills (buffalobills.com):

Bills GM Buddy Nix said he’d like to draft a quarterback every year if possible, but that didn’t happen in the 2012 NFL draft for Buffalo. He explains why, while also indicating that a fourth will be added this offseason. “We’re going to get one in free agency,” said Nix. ”We’re going to bring in a quarterback and we think a good one. We were poised to draft one and it just wasn’t there.”

Whether Nix means a veteran free agent or an undrafted rookie was unclear, but he sounded fairly confident they had their eye on a player they felt could capably compete and in all likelihood it will be an undrafted rookie.

So....for those of you anxiously awaiting a wonderful veteran FA QB acquisition, basic math indicates that we have already added a FA QB, making 4 on our roster and matching Nix's total.

I don't think trades for QB are in the picture, unless one of our guys gets some freak injury in the offseason that will take him out.

I'd like that 4 QB thing to be maintained by swapping Thiggy for someone else, but the magic eight ball says, all signs point to Chan isn't ready to concede failure on that acquisition until a full off-season of work and maybe some preseason games.

-- Chan had some interesting insight into the transition from rookie to professional; again, his folksy demeanor was great -- "you have to get these kids to understand they're leaving college football and going to their job. There's no going back to the apartment complex to hang out. Sundays are fun, but they're supposed to be. It's the work getting to that point that isn't always fun." (I'm paraphrasing)

Just a great interview; they had him on for nearly 15 minutes.

Thanks for sharing eball! Great post.

I think one bear Chan had to tackle when he got here was the whole locker room had a college atmosphere, of a college in a weak conference. The guys may have wanted to win, but had no idea how much work they really had to put in 6 days a week to make that happen on Sunday. Guys from the top conferences are putting in a much higher level of work in college, even if they aren't seeing the field much, and now we have a handful of guys from winning backgrounds (Merriman, Barnett, etc) who can "show what it takes" to win at the next level.

So hopefully that bear has been wrestled down.

Gee, thanks for reminding us we only won 6 games last season. It's only been a day since the last time. :doh:

You know the Supet Bowl Bills only won 7 games before they went on their 6 year tear. (88-94) Most teams do suck before they get better. How many years was it since the Lions went 0-16? Two? Do Lions fans sit around saying "...yeah we made the playoffs but two seasons ago we were 0-16"?

My bet is Nix is looking at Dennis Dixon for a QB.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Gee, thanks for reminding us we only won 6 games last season. It's only been a day since the last time. :doh:

You know the Supet Bowl Bills only won 7 games before they went on their 6 year tear. (88-94) Most teams do suck before they get better. How many years was it since the Lions went 0-16? Two? Do Lions fans sit around saying "...yeah we made the playoffs but two seasons ago we were 0-16"?

Get over it and look forward to this season.

PTR

Right on, Roboman.... :thumbsup:

Go piss in somebody else's cornflakes, ok? This thread isn't the place for that. Feel free to start your own.

Seriously, some guys just can't be happy. This is year 3 or this regime, & for the first time in over a decade this organization is building from the foundation up. If you can't be excited about the way this offseason has played out so far, you really should question why you should be a fan of this team. I can't wait until the season to start.